Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2015, 04:21   #31
BHPian

Re: Buy pre-owned BMW 325i, or wait for Skoda Octavia vRS?

I bought my '09manuf '10regd facelift 325i in 2012 for 16L+/-, sold it for 14.5 in 2013. 20,000 kms, single owner, MH reg.

IMO the 325i was more fun to drive than my BMW F10s 535i, 530d, F30 320d. Regret selling it.

2007 or late-09, early-10 facelift are the ones to go for (better suspension & wheel design), 325i was replaced by 330i in '10, I think.
fre2bpowerless is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 08:02   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buy pre-owned BMW 325i, or wait for Skoda Octavia vRS?

I'd personally suggest you check out the current Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI. It's a pretty quick car and can be a whole lot of fun. The zeal edition with the black alcantara interior is the one to go for.

A used BMW is not a bad option. Don't hesitate to go for a 330i if you find a good example. But considering that the diesels are more popular in our market, spares and servicing should be relatively easy. I've driven the 320d and the wad of torque will make you forget about petrol cars, no kidding!
Old 27th April 2015, 16:22   #33
BHPian

BMW 325i 2008 Model?

Gentlemen - I currently drive an Octavia L&K 1.9TDi and its now time for an upgrade. Its about time for a Bimmer!

I've seen a mint 2008 325i which has clocked 18k on the ODO. Interiors and engine in fantastic nick. Ran a check with BMW and this has a very clean record. This is a silver car and the entire car has been wrapped by 3m which cost him about 1.2lacs. This is a fully loaded car (iDrive, Sun Roof and much more). Test drove the car and was quite pleased. As known, its a bit stiff and ride a bit rough but I can live with that. Initials are nothing to brag about but at around 6000rpm its awesome. I am very inclined towards this car. One reason is primarily because its owned by a close friend of mine, clocked only 18k and I presume running costs on this petrol 325i will be quite alright as compared to a used 320d which would have clocked 50k and above on the ODO. Priced at 14lacs.

320d - What do you reckon. I've not seen too many 320ds here below 15lacs which is my budget. The ones around 20-30k on the ODO are priced ridiculously. The variant with iDrive and the works are very expensive and I don't want to compromise on these features.

Daily usage will be about 35kms 5 days a Week.

With the above said, looking forward to your expert advise as I need to seal the deal in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers
Old 27th April 2015, 19:39   #34
BHPian

Re: BMW 325i 2008 Model?

It seems like quite a good deal. However, an important factor in your decision depends on your driving conditions. If you spend a great deal of time in our infamous traffic or drive largely in the city, you may not enjoy the Beemer as much as you should be. Like you said, many others also complain that the engine is pretty lifeless lower in the rev range. If you drive in the city, you will seldom cross 3000rpm, much less 6000
The 320d, on the other hand, is immensely pleasurable to drive in normal city conditions. It's quite economical to run as well. Like you said, the used ones are priced exorbitantly. That's probably because it is much more popular than the 325i.
If you'd like, I'll pm you if I see a good deal.

Last edited by Turbo_asd : 27th April 2015 at 19:55. Reason: Deleting incorrect math :)
Turbo_asd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 19:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
If you'd like, I'll pm you if I see a good deal.
Not sure if I read right, but from the running figures you have provided, your daily running is 35km for 5 days in a week. Thus, the weekly running amounts to 175 km and a monthly running of 5250 km. Which is quite massive. Having a diesel will save you huge ₹₹₹.
Yeah mate, please PM should you find any good deal. My driving numbers will change in about a month and will come down to around 20kms a day. The fact that this Bimmer has clocked 18k and knowing the owner personally has really got me thinking. Plus, not a scratch on the exteriors and not to mention the interiors still sparkling.
Old 27th April 2015, 19:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_asd View Post
Not sure if I read right, but from the running figures you have provided, your daily running is 35km for 5 days in a week. Thus, the weekly running amounts to 175 km and a monthly running of 5250 km. Which is quite massive. Having a diesel will save you huge ₹₹₹.
What sort of math was that buddy? 35 kms a day x 5 days per week x 4 weeks in a month = 700 odd kms

Quarter mile,
A petrol car certainly makes more sense here. Remember one thing though. You can get a BMW for 13-14 lakhs. But if and when a part fails, it will cost as much as a 30-35 lakh car. Just bear that in mind. The deal sounds good but its a 7 year old car and run just 14k kms? You say its a close friend's car so the car might not be underclocked. Have the tyres been changed cause 7 years is too long a time. Remember reading on other threads that a 320D is more fun to drive than a 325i due to the difference in power delivery. Do check that to save yourself from buyer's remorse!
amansanc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 20:24   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarter Mile View Post
Yeah mate, please PM should you find any good deal. My driving numbers will change in about a month and will come down to around 20kms a day. The fact that this Bimmer has clocked 18k and knowing the owner personally has really got me thinking. Plus, not a scratch on the exteriors and not to mention the interiors still sparkling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
What sort of math was that buddy? 35 kms a day x 5 days per week x 4 weeks in a month = 700 odd kms

Quarter mile,
A petrol car certainly makes more sense here. Remember one thing though. You can get a BMW for 13-14 lakhs. But if and when a part fails, it will cost as much as a 30-35 lakh car. Just bear that in mind. The deal sounds good but its a 7 year old car and run just 14k kms? You say its a close friend's car so the car might not be underclocked. Have the tyres been changed cause 7 years is too long a time. Remember reading on other threads that a 320D is more fun to drive than a 325i due to the difference in power delivery. Do check that to save yourself from buyer's remorse!
Yes, yes, I noticed it before itself and deleted it as well. I went when I saw it. Nevertheless, good catch. Unfortunately there are no embarrassed emoticons else you would have seen a bunch here.

A petrol car makes sense given the situation. Anything less than 1500 seems to justify buying a petrol.
In some cases though, the diesel can bring a smile to your face that the petrol can't. This, you should watch out for. Seems like quite a few folk prefer the 320d over the 325i, not for economy but for pleasure of driving.
Good luck choosing and don't use the poor math against me in future
er... amansanc, would I not be asking for too much if I asked you to delete the quote in your post?(Yes, I'm smirking. Destroying all evidence)

Last edited by Turbo_asd : 27th April 2015 at 20:38.
Old 27th April 2015, 21:32   #38
Team-BHP Support

Let me start by saying if your friend is asking for 14l, it is way too high. He is taking advantage of your friendship The car is not worth a rupee more than 11 IMO.

Also considering the low running, and your saying it is clean. I would say go for it. Have any parts been changed, such as brake pads, etc? If not those will be coming up soon and will cost 30-40k.If discs need to be changed double that amount.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 22:41   #39
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2015 at 14:12.
kisharchit is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th April 2015, 23:22   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
he car is not worth a rupee more than 11 IMO.
Agreed but if it belongs to your known and you have fair information about Car it should be fine to spend an extra lac or two . Your Friend must have bought for a princely sum and given the low Odo readings must be expecting better values , will suggest you to sit with him and come midway . It will be much safe to pick a car from someone known besides all commercial payments , transfers etc can be handled far easier in my opinion ... all the best !

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2015 at 14:13. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 28th April 2015, 09:03   #41
BHPian

You talking about this car? If not, you can check it out. I know the owner well. He takes good care of his cars
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...or-sale/45581/
Old 28th April 2015, 10:31   #42
BHPian

Thanks Akshay for this plug . @quartermile : Mine's an e46 320i msport pre facelift *imported in 2008* with loads of factory and aftermarket goodies. I took a lot of pain to research and upgrade suspension and pampered the car with loads and loads of preventive maintenance to the level that my mech thinks I'm insane :P. PM me if you want to take a test drive and see how it feels to drive an e46 as compared to e90, no strings attached. If your Laura is a well maintained one, I don't mind making a trade either. I'll send you a PM with my phone number.
Old 28th April 2015, 13:54   #43
BHPian

Thanks guys for your quick view on this. Much appreciated.

@akshay1234 - Completely in agreement with you, 14L is honestly very high for this 325i. I only wish pricing was like cars in Mumbai. With the Karnataka Road Taxes this car can be max valuated at 12.5lacs. My cousin here works at BMW and he ran a service history check and it came out very clean. Not too much expenditure coming up as well. What got my attention is honestly 18k on the ODO, extremely well maintained both internally and externally, iDrive and a lot more features for a 2008 model and 3mm clear paint protection wrap done on the entire car.

Dealers here are quoting 15lacs plus for a 325i with the ODO clocking 60k and above with multiple owners!

@Turbanator - Absolutely. That's the advantage of dealing with friends.

@shankarbn - Wouldn't mind having a look. Received your PM. Let me ring you.

I'm a bit concerned on the FE bit. Cant image 5-6 per KM!! My idea of picking up a pre-owned Petrol is primarily due to low maintenance costs compared to a diesel 320d which would have clocked 50k and more.
Old 28th April 2015, 15:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for your quick view on this. Much appreciated.

@akshay1234 - Completely in agreement with you, 14L is honestly very high for this 325i. I only wish pricing was like cars in Mumbai. With the Karnataka Road Taxes this car can be max valuated at 12.5lacs. My cousin here works at BMW and he ran a service history check and it came out very clean. Not too much expenditure coming up as well. What got my attention is honestly 18k on the ODO, extremely well maintained both internally and externally, iDrive and a lot more features for a 2008 model and 3mm clear paint protection wrap done on the entire car.

Dealers here are quoting 15lacs plus for a 325i with the ODO clocking 60k and above with multiple owners!

@Turbanator - Absolutely. That's the advantage of dealing with friends.

@shankarbn - Wouldn't mind having a look. Received your PM. Let me ring you.

I'm a bit concerned on the FE bit. Cant image 5-6 per KM!! My idea of picking up a pre-owned Petrol is primarily due to low maintenance costs compared to a diesel 320d which would have clocked 50k and more.
Hi Quarter mile...your FE on a 325 will depend on how you drive and traffic conditions. You should be prepared for 5-6 on bad days and 8-10 on good ones IMHO. The reason for buying the VRS or 325 is for that great smile on your face when you floor it.
Petrols do cost less to maintain but for a 7 ur old car you are looking at changing tyres (given the age), battery, a comprehensive service (chk for break pads/ discs) and some other bobs n bits like a 3M interior clean etc (if required.)
If you can get the car (which seems clean) for 12-13 just go for it with another lakh in your pocket or so for any upgrades/ maint. repairs you may need in the near term (even uprated Alloys etc.)
Old 28th April 2015, 16:10   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Low maintenance costs and these cars should not be used in the same sentence. And fuel costs are the least of worries of owners in this segment. 40KM daily in Bangalore traffic can be a lucrative business for BMW.

Don't wanna scare you :-) Just be realistic about ownership costs and you should be fine. Don't pass it up as clean cars from friends are hard to come by.

Last edited by androdev : 28th April 2015 at 16:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks