Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2015, 19:21   #1
BHPian

Buy pre-owned BMW 325i, or wait for Skoda Octavia vRS?

Honestly, I never thought I'd put up a post here, as I have been very clear in mind as what I need & want.

The trouble started when I got thinking of getting a used BMW 3!

Why BMW?

Currently, I have Octavia vRS, Grand Viatra 2.0 , Sonata Embera and a Zen. I love them all. But as I am growing older, my aspirations are becoming bolder.Getting a bmw has always been in the to-do list and besides it hits all the points of being a driver focused car, which essentially I want.

Why Pre-Owned?

While researching I discovered a fact that these cars tend to depreciate in value real quick and that scares me. Imagining on spending about 42L on a new car ,only to value it less than half of original cost in a few years.

What I wanted?

I was looking out for a BMW 325i yes, I am a petrol head from & to the core but scouting for one has become real hard in Bangalore!

The dilemma?

Now coming to the main issue, I heard Skoda will be launching it's all new Octavia vRS. I understand the comparison between a BMW & Skoda is no-brainer , the bimmer wins hands down; but all new octavia vRS wins me with that slick manual shifter compared to auto of a bmw.

What do you guys suggest I should do?

Wait for the new octy?
Get a 320D, against my choice?
Wait for a good 325i in the used market?

Or forget all that and wait for the Jeep Grand Cherokee:Even if I would have to wait to collect more funds for it ? I wouldn't mind that as well!

Help greatly appreciated Folks! I am confused &

Aditya
Old 3rd January 2015, 20:10   #2
BHPian

From your post , I'm guessing what you really want is a petrol powered, rear wheel drive, manual car that's fun to drive. Well problem is there is no car being sold in India which has got all of these in one package.
I mean if a car has manual then it is front wheel drive, if its rear wheel drive then it comes only with an auto. Some only come with diesels....etc.
Since you are open to the idea of a used car, why not search for a used 370 z? Its the only car that I can think of that suits your need which is available in India. Its petrol, rear wheel drive, has manual gearbox. Should be a hard job though.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2015, 22:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Buy pre-owned BMW 325i, or wait for Skoda Octavia vRS?

You already have one of the best octavia's, I personally feel you should get a used BMW. Why limit yourself to the 325i? Try looking for a 330i or if you are lucky enough you might come across a 328i for sale.

On the other hand you may also find quite a lot of used E60 530i/d's under 20 lakhs. All the best.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 03:04   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drive the currently available New Octavia Petrol and then use that as a reference point to decide. The octy maybe easier to live with.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 09:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
From your post , I'm guessing what you really want is a petrol powered, rear wheel drive, manual car that's fun to drive. Well problem is there is no car being sold in India which has got all of these in one package.
I mean if a car has manual then it is front wheel drive, if its rear wheel drive then it comes only with an auto. Some only come with diesels....etc.
Since you are open to the idea of a used car, why not search for a used 370 z? Its the only car that I can think of that suits your need which is available in India. Its petrol, rear wheel drive, has manual gearbox. Should be a hard job though.
Nakul , you are absolutely correct! I had previously shortlisted a Mitsubishi 3000GT & A Mercedes SL R129 but the attitude of the sellers made me re-think on decisions! I don't know if it's only me, but owners of these kind of rare cars have a bloated ego for nothing, I have noticed in many incidents!

370Z is a nice suggestion ,again scouting for one will not be an easy task where I might have to wait for years to get my hands on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
You already have one of the best octavia's, I personally feel you should get a used BMW. Why limit yourself to the 325i? Try looking for a 330i or if you are lucky enough you might come across a 328i for sale.

On the other hand you may also find quite a lot of used E60 530i/d's under 20 lakhs. All the best.

Asit
Asit, i'd love to get a 330i or a 530i! The issue is availability in Bangalore in the used market! I have seen quite a few 530i's in Mumbai & Delhi but none in Bangalore. Does it make sense to get hold of one from Mumbai & Delhi and pay road tax in Karnataka after procuring the NOC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Test drive the currently available New Octavia Petrol and then use that as a reference point to decide. The octy maybe easier to live with.
ACM, I have test driven the New octy but the DSG & 1.8L plant didn't do the magic on me. I believe the New Octy will be a 2L with manual transmission in India just like the Europe specs!
Old 4th January 2015, 12:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are expecting a Octy VRS with the 2.0 TSI, keep dreaming about it, as per my guess they will never bother to take the pain of homologating a new engine for such a low volume car.

What i expect though is- slight tweaks to suspension + the body kit with new alloys.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 14:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
If you are expecting a Octy VRS with the 2.0 TSI,...

What i expect though is- slight tweaks to suspension + the body kit with new alloys.

I'm afraid you could be wrong sir. I remember reading it in a couple of automotive sites that the new octavia vrs will be offered with two engine options in India as well, one being a 2.0L petrol turbocharged producing somewhere about 220 bhp and the other one being a 2.0L diesel turbocharged producing about 185 bhp. However I may be proved wrong.
Old 4th January 2015, 14:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Well we all are just doing the guess work here. In this case i want to be proven wrong, i'd buy the 220hp TSI with my eyes closed.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 16:04   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buy pre-owned BMW 325i, or wait for Skoda Octavia vRS?

Couple of points.

- Firstly, have you driven the 325i? I found it a-w-f-u-l. The motor is very weak below 3,000, the steering is too heavy for the city and the ride bone-jarring. I wouldn't touch the 325i unless I got it at half the market price (and even then, I'd take my time to think).

- Equally, have you driven a 320d? It's far superior! Torque'y, driveable and double the fuel-economy (after all, 4-cylinder diesel vs 6-cylinder petrol). It's a lot more fun. I'd pick a 320d over a 325 10 times out of 10. Another advantage: while the 325 is rare, the 320d was the best-seller.

- Tell you what, you can have your cake and eat it too. Buy a pre-owned 320D for now. Enjoy it. Look at cars already depreciated (3 - 4 year old examples). I've seen pristine 320ds in Mumbai in the vicinity of 10 - 11 lakhs. If & when Skoda launches the Octavia RS, sell the BMW 320d. Within a year, you'll lose barely a lakh on it (maximum 2). If the Octavia isn't coming, have fun with the Bimmer .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
I don't know if it's only me, but owners of these kind of rare cars have a bloated ego for nothing, I have noticed in many incidents!
You buying the car or the ego? The attitude of the seller - whether on a new car or used - has never stopped me from buying something I really want. After all, it's the car (and not the seller) you have to live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
If you are expecting a Octy VRS with the 2.0 TSI, keep dreaming about it, as per my guess they will never bother to take the pain of homologating a new engine for such a low volume car.
I wouldn't entirely rule it out, though the chances are definitely less than 50%. Skoda is still sitting on the fence...undecided.

Personally, I'd be very happy if they offered an RS version on the 1.8L TSI. It's quick enough! Just - please - include a manual tranny too.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 16:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Couple of points.

- Firstly, have you driven the 325i? I found it a-w-f-u-l. The motor is very weak below 3,000, the steering is too heavy for the city and the ride bone-jarring. I wouldn't touch the 325i unless I got it at half the market price (and even then, I'd take my time to think).

- Equally, have you driven a 320d? It's far superior! Torque'y, driveable and double the fuel-economy (after all, 4-cylinder diesel vs 6-cylinder petrol). It's a lot more fun. I'd pick a 320d over a 325 10 times out of 10. Another advantage: while the 325 is rare, the 320d was the best-seller.

- Tell you what, you can have your cake and eat it too. Buy a pre-owned 320D for now. Enjoy it. Look at cars already depreciated (3 - 4 year old examples). I've seen pristine 320ds in Mumbai in the vicinity of 10 - 11 lakhs. If & when Skoda launches the Octavia RS, sell the BMW 320d. Within a year, you'll lose barely a lakh on it (maximum 2). If the Octavia isn't coming, have fun with the Bimmer .

You buying the car or the ego? The attitude of the seller - whether on a new car or used - has never stopped me from buying something I really want. After all, it's the car (and not the seller) you have to live with.

I wouldn't entirely rule it out, though the chances are definitely less than 50%. Skoda is still sitting on the fence...undecided.

Personally, I'd be very happy if they offered an RS version on the 1.8L TSI. It's quick enough! Just - please - include a manual tranny too.

Hey GTO,

Yes, I have driven a 325i and found it pretty pleasant! Agree with you on bone jarring ride but hey it's only a little worse than the current Octavia vRS: and NO, I have not driven the 320D, but have driven the X1 which I suppose comes with the same powerplant as in 320d.

I like what you have suggested here, but there is a very peculiar problem I have. I get attached to my cars very much and selling them in a short period is heart breaking. If, I do go with your suggested move, and if it's going to be a diesel then I would rather go for a F30! Does 30Lacs sounds good for a 2013 model done about 30 K on odo?

And very true on the ego part but what do we do when the owner themselves get a stamp on you of not being worthy enough to buy their cars?
aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 14:51   #11
BHPian

Might google just delivered this news to me!

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/auto-n...-launch-96132/

So, I guess it's either a BMW 3 now or Volvo D5 (which currently I am scouting, and in negotiations stage).

The BMW being offered is a Jan 2013 Corporate edition without Xenon's & Sunroof but with iDrive. Odo shows 33k and asking price of 30L? Is it worth ?
Old 8th January 2015, 15:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

^ This is old news, by then they had no news on Octy VRS. Secondly i don't take such sources seriously.

At the time of Rapid Drive, upon a specific query someone from Skoda India casually denied any plans on Octavia VRS at that point of time. Now that does not rule out the their VRS plans.
Old 8th January 2015, 15:53   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The BMW being offered is a Jan 2013 Corporate edition without Xenon's & Sunroof but with iDrive. Odo shows 33k and asking price of 30L? Is it worth ?
Pretty steep IMO. Add a bit more, and you should get a brand new 320d base variant.
Old 8th January 2015, 16:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Does 30Lacs sounds good for a 2013 model done about 30 K on odo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Pretty steep IMO. Add a bit more, and you should get a brand new 320d base variant.

As vb-san mentions 30L is very steep for the prestige variant, 2013 model and having run 30K. I inquired at BMW, Ahmedabad and the Prestige variant with extended warranty for 320d was available for 36 lakhs after discounts.
Old 10th January 2015, 12:16   #15
BHPian

If you want to choose between the 325i and the vRS I'd say go ahead with the latter coz of it's mighty tuning abilities. You can get a proper suspension, tune, better tires from the money you save. Petrol Bimmers, anything below a 328i / 330i lacks the punch on the regular fuel.

If you just want the RWD chassis with 50:50 weight distribution then I'd recommend you to check out the 320d.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks