Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2015, 18:25   #1
BHPian

Strange confusion: BMW 3 vs 5 Series

Hello everyone,
My Mercedes E Class is now 7 years old and my dad is considering buying a new car
Today, we went for a couple of test-drives to the BMW and Mercedes showrooms.

The rejected alternatives-

First thing is first, it has to be a sedan. So, we started considering our options. My dad really likes Audi but that was a no from my side since i don't want an expensive front wheel drive car. The looks and interiors of Audi are amazing but it doesn't drive very well so we decided to keep it out of the picture.
We don't want a Mercedes as we want something different now but decided to check out the new C-Class just in case. After taking the test-drive I can say that my personal opinion is that the new C-Class is overrated. Its good but definitely not worth 53 lakhs on road Bangalore. The crazy price and the fact that its a Merc again made us sure we don't want a Mercedes. The Jaguar XF also I don't like and I'm sure my dad doesn't want a Volvo.So, the only option left to us was BMW...

BMW Time
Before getting to it, I'd like to tell you that this car will not be used as a daily car with the driver and will be completely self driven my my dad and myself when we go out at night or on Sundays. I drive it most of the time and my dad takes the wheel only if I'm not there. Also, he doesn't really care about how FUN it is to drive. He likes to cruise and enjoy the luxury. Im quite the opposite. i love driving fast when its safe and honestly all I care about when we buy the new car is its driving experience Now here starts the confusion-
My dad thinks the 5 is nicer for obvious reasons but when we test-drove it, it felt very bulky. It was really good nonetheless.
But the 3 is a completely different story. Its smaller, its faster and its more fun with the same engine as the 5.
The 5 has more luxury and a FEW more features whereas the 3 is cheaper. Speaking of price, I don't really know what our budget is as I can't ask my dad directly.I think he is also not sure about that part. Anyway, without negotiating at all the dealer said that the 5 was available at 67-7(discount)=60 on road Bangalore and the 3 at 51-5(around)=46(approx.). Thats a difference of 14 lakhs but my dads confident he can get a better deal on the 5 if he sat to negotiate as the dealer said he could work something out.
So the difference between the 3 and 5 according to me would come at around 10 lakhs. We want the car to be excellent to drive but at the same time we need the luxury also.
Which one do you think makes more sense?

Thanks in advance
Old 25th January 2015, 19:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Strange confusion: BMW 3 vs 5 Series

Since you already ruled our Mercedes,Audi and Jaguar very choices are left, innit?

You have not mentioned the variant of the 5 series I am guessing you are comparing 320d vis a vis 520d.

Rear seat space though is more in the 5 as compared to the 3 series but still it cannot match E class or the A6.

Since you are replacing the E class and want luxury as well as sportiness 5 series fit the bill perfectly.

Happy shopping!
ishlinea7260 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 19:29   #3
BHPian

I sat in a 525d yesterday and I wasn't very impressed by it. If ingress egress and comforting seats arn't a problem you should go for the 3. I am guessing 51 is the petrol version, any reason you don't want to go for the 320d sport/luxury? You will probably get that for around about 41 !
Old 25th January 2015, 19:46   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the difference between the 3 and 5 according to me would come at around 10 lakhs. We want the car to be excellent to drive but at the same time we need the luxury also.
Which one do you think makes more sense?
If you can stretch your budget for 5,it will make more sense in my opinion . Having owned both cars , 5 even with 4 cylinder should perform almost equal or little better than 3 It has a much wider & longer stance and far comfortable than 3 when being driven around . Move front passenger seat forward and you have pretty decent legroom at rear which should be case when you father will be using . It should be more quieter & overall will have better interiors . Most of dealers & BMW company ( trading unit ) will be sitting on 2014 inventories with lower Excise duty cars in stocks and handsome discounts .

Give a try to 3 series GT as well , it should have better leg room in rear and may appeal more to the driver in you
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 19:46   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

How about considering something like the 3GT? It will give you the driving pleasure of the 3 series and yet be more spacious and exclusive.

Otherwise out of the two, a 5 series will be anydays more luxurious than the 3 series. If however you want to stick to the 3 then why not opt for the baseline variant. It comes with almost all the features apart from sunroof and small tid bits here and there. After discount you should be able to buy one for around 40L OTR since the same in around 35.5L OTR after discounts in Delhi.

Another option is to consider the 328i since your running is limited and hence diesel does not make sense. The resale though might stink for the same.

Lastly do give a look to the new S60. You might be surprised by the D5 variant.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 20:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I sat in a 525d yesterday and I wasn't very impressed by it. If ingress egress and comforting seats arn't a problem you should go for the 3. I am guessing 51 is the petrol version, any reason you don't want to go for the 320d sport/luxury? You will probably get that for around about 41 !
The 328i has been discontinued :(
The 320 sport/luxury is for 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Give a try to 3 series GT as well , it should have better leg room in rear and may appeal more to the driver in you
The 3 GT costs almost the same as the 5 after factoring in all discounts which in my opinion is not worth it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How about considering something like the 3GT? It will give you the driving pleasure of the 3 series and yet be more spacious and exclusive.

Otherwise out of the two, a 5 series will be anydays more luxurious than the 3 series. If however you want to stick to the 3 then why not opt for the baseline variant. It comes with almost all the features apart from sunroof and small tid bits here and there. After discount you should be able to buy one for around 40L OTR since the same in around 35.5L OTR after discounts in Delhi.

Another option is to consider the 328i since your running is limited and hence diesel does not make sense. The resale though might stink for the same.

Lastly do give a look to the new S60. You might be surprised by the D5 variant.
The 3GT is the same price as the 5, so thats not worth it and the 328i has been discontinued.
The baseline of the 3 is a good option. Don't care about the sunroof but it does not even have genuine leather seats which is extremely disappointing in a luxury car. Any yeah the S60 is good, I know that. But my dad does not want a Volvo so thats not going to happen.

Last edited by Naman_Ferrari : 25th January 2015 at 20:38.
Old 25th January 2015, 21:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
The 320 sport/luxury is for 51
I checked on a few websites and the on road price for a BMW 320d in Bangalore is coming to be around 45 lakhs and not 51. I am surprised you are getting those rates. Even 67 for a 520d is quite a lot even after the price increase. . Have they provided the pricing sheet?

I wouldn't go for the 3 series at anything above 42 to be honest. Maybe wait for a CKD C class? Otherwise I think the 5 is the better option.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 23:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

If your father loves to cruise in luxury, then I think you ought to take that seriously considering it must be his money paying for the car. I would recommend either an Audi A6 or another E-Class
Old 26th January 2015, 01:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
I checked on a few websites and the on road price for a BMW 320d in Bangalore is coming to be around 45 lakhs and not 51. I am surprised you are getting those rates. Even 67 for a 520d is quite a lot even after the price increase. . Have they provided the pricing sheet?

I wouldn't go for the 3 series at anything above 42 to be honest. Maybe wait for a CKD C class? Otherwise I think the 5 is the better option.
I don't have a price list as we haven't spoken to them very seriously about that. But I don't think they would quote a wrong price as that might put off a potential customers. But yeah my dad was shocked to hear the new prices. They are way too high

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If your father loves to cruise in luxury, then I think you ought to take that seriously considering it must be his money paying for the car. I would recommend either an Audi A6 or another E-Class
He really liked the bimmers on that front too. Mercedes he does not want and we have a Q5 in the family. BMW is new to us. I think thats why he is convinced now that he wants a BMW inspite of wanting an Audi before.
Old 26th January 2015, 19:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Any day 5 is a better option, compared to 3. You may be sick of E, but all reviews still rate the E much better (of the 4 - Merc, BMW, Audi and Jag) as far as comfort, ride and equipment is concerned.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 20:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What?!

When did this happen? I had my sights on the 328i :(

EDIT: Just checked the BMW India website and the 328i is still listed there. Have they forgotten to update the site?

Last edited by amit : 26th January 2015 at 20:13.
Old 26th January 2015, 20:40   #12
BHPian

If you plan on keeping the E class and/or the new car would only carry 1-2 passengers most of the time then I would recommend 320d. The 5 looks a bit bland (it's a personal opinion) and you will enjoy the drive better in the 320 compared to the 520.

However, you cannot go wrong with either. I've seen more people in such situations go for 5 because it appeals to them better as an overall package, it's a category above the 3, more value etc. I have a feeling your family would be happier with the 5. Especially since you have been using an E for the past many years. You will find the 3 to be a downgrade in many aspects (especially size and space). But if that is not a concern then the 3 is a beautiful choice. Good luck!
over.drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 20:44   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After taking the test-drive I can say that my personal opinion is that the new C-Class is overrated. Its good but definitely not worth 53 lakhs on road Bangalore.
Could you please put down what's the ex showroom price and tax component here?
Old 26th January 2015, 21:58   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't have a price list as we haven't spoken to them very seriously about that.
I suggest you visit the showroom, and get the pricelist and get to know the proper discounts. Show them your'e serious and the real prices will come out. What you have quoted seems way too high, even after the price increase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
What?!

EDIT: Just checked the BMW India website and the 328i is still listed there. Have they forgotten to update the site?
From what I hear too, the 328i is discontinued.
Old 26th January 2015, 23:04   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Any day 5 is a better option, compared to 3. You may be sick of E, but all reviews still rate the E much better (of the 4 - Merc, BMW, Audi and Jag) as far as comfort, ride and equipment is concerned.
True, the E is an exceptional car. Infact today only when we were going somewhere in the E my dad was saying that we should reconsider changing it at all. I think he is very discouraged by the new prices :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
What?!

The last 328i delivered by the Bangalore dealer was last week. Even I wanted that car but they don't even have old stock left...
Quote:
Originally Posted by over.drive View Post
If you plan on keeping the E class and/or the new car would only carry 1-2 passengers most of the time then I would recommend 320d. The 5 looks a bit bland (it's a personal opinion) and you will enjoy the drive better in the 320 compared to the 520.
However, you cannot go wrong with either. I've seen more people in such situations go for 5 because it appeals to them better as an overall package, it's a category above the 3, more value etc. I have a feeling your family would be happier with the 5. Especially since you have been using an E for the past many years. You will find the 3 to be a downgrade in many aspects (especially size and space). But if that is not a concern then the 3 is a beautiful choice. Good luck!
We plan on selling the E and four of us would be sitting most of the time. As you said, even I think the 3 is better to drive but the overall package is also important, hence the confusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Could you please put down what's the ex showroom price and tax component here?
I'm sorry I don't have it with me right now. But the dealer very clearly stated that that's the price with NO discount whatsoever. In case I visit the showroom again, I will definitely put it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I suggest you visit the showroom, and get the pricelist and get to know the proper discounts. Show them your'e serious and the real prices will come out. What you have quoted seems way too high, even after the price increase.

From what I hear too, the 328i is discontinued.
Yeah we have to go and talk to them seriously about it. We went on a Sunday and there was hardly any staff there. They showed the cars very nicely but said that the discussion could take place only on a weekday.

One more problem right now is that the exorbitant pricing has really put off my dad, who is now in two minds. Let's see what happens. We have to change the E eventually and its gonna be one of these two only but it might get delayed a bit :(
Still I need to be sure about which one it will be when we do buy the car.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th January 2015 at 23:39. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multple posts. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks