Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 07:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

If the backseat is important, get the 5 with your eyes closed. Its got a good back seat, the ride is no more harsh, high speed composure even with the softer setup is great. Overall for a luxury car it ticks all the boxes right, just that to have fun you need to pick the more powerful variant.

3 has a smaller cabin but overall i find 320d a lot more fun than 520d. I'd pick a 328i over 530d! Its has the agility and feels more peppier. In terms of directness, both 3 and 5 have been toned down, 5 more so and with the newer softer suspension it feels a lot more bulky to thrown around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
From what I hear too, the 328i is discontinued.
From a few years from now, the only German cars we'll have available will be lowest powered Diesels, with all the bling and M/AMG bodykits.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th January 2015 at 07:52.
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 08:51   #17
BHPian

Are you open to pre-owned cars?
You may get a nearly new 530d which will satisfy the enthusiast in you and at the same time it will provide your dad all the luxuries which means it would be a better package.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 09:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: Strange confusion: BMW 3 vs 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
You may get a nearly new 530d which will satisfy the enthusiast in you and at the same time it will provide your dad all the luxuries which means it would be a better package.
Not in bangalore - preowned car prices here make no sense whatsoever. The ridiculous 25% road tax is to blame.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:49   #19
BHPian

My friend who works for BMW says the real BMW experience starts only from 5. If that helps..
Old 27th January 2015, 11:30   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
My friend who works for BMW says the real BMW experience starts only from 5. If that helps..
That's a very ignorant statement for someone who works with BMW to make

BMWs are supposed to be ultimate drivers machines, and the lower series actually provide a better driving experience. Cars like the 1M, M235i, 335i/335D are all superior to their larger counterparts to drive.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th January 2015 at 11:33.
Akshay1234 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 12:24   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

328i is discontinued ? NO clue on that myself.

Regarding the confusion between the 3 vs 5

I'd say as of date go in for the 3 series coz its the latest model as compared to the 5 series (F10) will be replaced by an all G30 new mid next year. Check this thread;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...t-testing.html

I dont see that happening to the 3 series (F30) as the LCI is yet to be revealed so the new gen is out of question (Slated for 2021 debut)

Other than that i believe the new 3 has grown in size over the e90 3 series and is as spacious legroom wise to the 5 series. It may not be having the same wide rear bench as the 5, but is good on space.

Quote:
We want the car to be excellent to drive but at the same time we need the luxury also.
Driving dynamics of 3 Series are slightly better than that of the bulkier 5, at the same time the new 3 is very comfortable too (where the old e90 3 lost out on the ride being too stiff)

But, at the end of the day its your call, just select the one which gives you more happiness & have a no regret feel after purchase.

Happy Shopping

PS - Sad to see 3 series now costing 45L +

Last edited by karan561 : 27th January 2015 at 12:38.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 12:39   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Naman,

Great position to be in . Good luck shopping.

I think that you should let go of prejudices first. Start from scratch and test-drive all cars with no preconceived notions. Couple of points after reading your opening post:

1. The A6's 'budget' variants might be FWD, but trust me, they drive very well. You would really need to be pushing the car to levels impossible on a public road to spot the difference between FWD & RWD. Of course, in terms of 'feel', RWD is far superior (I personally wouldn't buy a FWD 50 lakh sedan)....but still, it's not that the A6 'doesn't drive very well'. Also take a spin in the 3.0 AWD. You might just be tempted.

2. If you are looking at luxury & ride comfort, the E-Class is your car. Period. It's unmatched for back seat comfort & ride quality. I'm guessing your E-Class is the W211? Test-drive the W212. It is a completely different animal. The facelift looks good too. However, the all-new generation isn't too far away. Keep that in mind.

3. The new 3 Series has grown & how! It's now nearly on par in terms of backseat comfort as the E60 5-Series. The ride quality is more compliant and it is a far more complete 3 Series than the E90 ever was. However, and again, the E-Class is decidedly superior for luxury, followed by the 520D.

Personally, I'd pick between the E-Class & 5-Series. Take more test-drives with your Dad and choose from the two.

Quote:
In terms of luxury, I would agree until the E90 was still in production. But the new 3 is 'nearly' a 5. Thus, I'd rephrase that statement to 'the real BMW experience starts only with the 3'. The X1 & 1-Series (especially the ones offered in India) are horrible cars at the price. There are too many compromises in quality, equipment & performance.

Similarly, with Mercedes, the earlier C-Class generations had too many compromises. But the new baby Mercs (CLA, C-Class) are 'proper Mercedes' in every way.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 12:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That's a very ignorant statement for someone who works with BMW to make

BMWs are supposed to be ultimate drivers machines, and the lower series actually provide a better driving experience. Cars like the 1M, M235i, 335i/335D are all superior to their larger counterparts to drive.
I think what he supposedly meant was, if you are looking for sheer driving pleasure, as well as a balance on creature comforts, it is from the 5 you go. It is well known the 3's rear seat leg space and NVH aren't great either. His major stress was on quality and says both 5 and 3 differ a lot in overall quality in various areas.

But yes, with regards to driving fun, the smaller the car the better it is on agility and flickability, couple of very important factors for driving fun.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 13:00   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

The 328i has been discontinued or have they exhausted there allocated kits for India? I think I read the latter somewhere on the forum itself. Why don't you directly talk to BMW regarding this or may be get in touch with dealers in Mumbai and Delhi who might have a car lying around.
Old 27th January 2015, 13:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

I own the BMW 5-series E60 and have sat in the F10/11 iterations in the back seat. I wouldnt rate BMW very good for back seat comfort compared to the Audi and the Mercedes. Its like you have sat in a pit and on long highway drives it does get a bit claustrophobic.

Nothing however beats the BMW when you are behind the wheel. If the idea is to have the family in the car for long drives and so on, my vote would go for the Merc E-class. For pure driving comfort I would go for the F10/11 BMW 5-series over the current 3-series. Also considering the 5'er would look more apt for your dad as well.

Its a wonderful place to be when shopping for a luxury German car. Happy shopping!
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 14:29   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Hello everyone,
My Mercedes E Class is now 7 years old and my dad is considering buying a new car
Today, we went for a couple of test-drives to the BMW and Mercedes showrooms.
If you really want a change in environment, then the BMW makes sense. Otherwise I feel the face-lifted E is the car in its segment. Within the BMW family, I would suggest the 320d because it really works for both you and your dad. The back seat of the 3 is indeed a decent place to be in, and its definitely more engaging to drive compared to the 5 (more aligned to the ultimate driving machine tag). Between the 320d and 520d, other than a bit of added space I don’t see any specific wow factor to choose the latter.

Quote:
I think what he supposedly meant was, if you are looking for sheer driving pleasure, as well as a balance on creature comforts, it is from the 5 you go.
It’s probably the personal preference of your friend. Otherwise attribute like sheer driving pleasure are more suitable for the 2/3/4-series range. 5 is a great car and looks very neutral, but I always feel it has more of Mercedes DNA than BMW
Old 27th January 2015, 19:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
I personally think pre-owned cars are totally worth it but my dad wouldn't buy it so there is no point thinking about it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
328i is discontinued ? NO clue on that myself.

Regarding the confusion between the 3 vs 5

I'd say as of date go in for the 3 series coz its the latest model as compared to the 5 series (F10) will be replaced by an all G30 new mid next year. Check this thread;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...t-testing.html

I dont see that happening to the 3 series (F30) as the LCI is yet to be revealed so the new gen is out of question (Slated for 2021 debut)

Other than that i believe the new 3 has grown in size over the e90 3 series and is as spacious legroom wise to the 5 series. It may not be having the same wide rear bench as the 5, but is good on space.

Driving dynamics of 3 Series are slightly better than that of the bulkier 5, at the same time the new 3 is very comfortable too (where the old e90 3 lost out on the ride being too stiff)

But, at the end of the day its your call, just select the one which gives you more happiness & have a no regret feel after purchase.

Happy Shopping

PS - Sad to see 3 series now costing 45L +
Yeah the next generation 5 series is coming out. In fact when I asked the dealer about it, he said that it will launch in India in early 2017. Thats 2 years from now and there probably won't be any discount on the new car. Plus, I'm sure it will be more expensive. So when you think of it, it might not even be in the same price bracket...
Regarding the 3, as you said it was more fun and it is fresher which along with the sufficiently nice interior is a strong contender. The only problem is that the difference between 3 and 5 is 10 lakhs which causes soon much confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi Naman,

Great position to be in . Good luck shopping.

I think that you should let go of prejudices first. Start from scratch and test-drive all cars with no preconceived notions. Couple of points after reading your opening post:

1. The A6's 'budget' variants might be FWD, but trust me, they drive very well. You would really need to be pushing the car to levels impossible on a public road to spot the difference between FWD & RWD. Of course, in terms of 'feel', RWD is far superior (I personally wouldn't buy a FWD 50 lakh sedan)....but still, it's not that the A6 'doesn't drive very well'. Also take a spin in the 3.0 AWD. You might just be tempted.

2. If you are looking at luxury & ride comfort, the E-Class is your car. Period. It's unmatched for back seat comfort & ride quality. I'm guessing your E-Class is the W211? Test-drive the W212. It is a completely different animal. The facelift looks good too. However, the all-new generation isn't too far away. Keep that in mind.

3. The new 3 Series has grown & how! It's now nearly on par in terms of backseat comfort as the E60 5-Series. The ride quality is more compliant and it is a far more complete 3 Series than the E90 ever was. However, and again, the E-Class is decidedly superior for luxury, followed by the 520D.

Personally, I'd pick between the E-Class & 5-Series. Take more test-drives with your Dad and choose from the two.
Hello,
1. Yes I think you are right. I should at least TD the A6 once.
2. Yeah its W211. The thing with any Mercedes is that since its the same brand, the novelty won't be there. The E may have excellent ride but then buying another Mercedes isn't exciting anymore(for us). But one thing I must say is that the new Mercs- The C, CLA, E, S, they are phenomenal!
3.Yes the 3 is really very good. rear space is almost as much as 5 but I personally thought that the 5er's ride was remarkably better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The 328i has been discontinued or have they exhausted there allocated kits for India? I think I read the latter somewhere on the forum itself. Why don't you directly talk to BMW regarding this or may be get in touch with dealers in Mumbai and Delhi who might have a car lying around.
Thats actually something I didn't think of and worth looking into. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I own the BMW 5-series E60 and have sat in the F10/11 iterations in the back seat. I wouldnt rate BMW very good for back seat comfort compared to the Audi and the Mercedes. Its like you have sat in a pit and on long highway drives it does get a bit claustrophobic.

Nothing however beats the BMW when you are behind the wheel. If the idea is to have the family in the car for long drives and so on, my vote would go for the Merc E-class. For pure driving comfort I would go for the F10/11 BMW 5-series over the current 3-series. Also considering the 5'er would look more apt for your dad as well.

Its a wonderful place to be when shopping for a luxury German car. Happy shopping!
Yeah the 5 will be more comfortable and makes more sense. Its a simple decision for many but I just want to be sure about it
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If you really want a change in environment, then the BMW makes sense. Otherwise I feel the face-lifted E is the car in its segment. Within the BMW family, I would suggest the 320d because it really works for both you and your dad. The back seat of the 3 is indeed a decent place to be in, and its definitely more engaging to drive compared to the 5 (more aligned to the ultimate driving machine tag). Between the 320d and 520d, other than a bit of added space I don’t see any specific wow factor to choose the latter.
It’s probably the personal preference of your friend. Otherwise attribute like sheer driving pleasure are more suitable for the 2/3/4-series range. 5 is a great car and looks very neutral, but I always feel it has more of Mercedes DNA than BMW
The 3 is more engaging for sure but the 5 does have a more luxurious interior, there is a difference. Lets see what happens
Old 27th January 2015, 22:59   #28
BHPian

Let me throw in another angle. Wait for new Merc C class diesel to launch. It has newer interiors which is totally different from W211, So you could feel the freshness. And the rear seat comfort and space matches W211.
But if I had this confusion I would pick W212 any day. Novelty of BMW wears off in a few months, especially in your scenario. And i found W212 better to frive than 5er.
Old 28th January 2015, 01:08   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
1. Yes I think you are right. I should at least TD the A6 once.
2. Yeah its W211. The thing with any Mercedes is that since its the same brand, the novelty won't be there. The E may have excellent ride but then buying another Mercedes isn't exciting anymore(for us). But one thing I must say is that the new Mercs- The C, CLA, E, S, they are phenomenal!
The A6 with its air suspension has to be experienced, not to mention the lift feature which raises the car at least 30mm (IMO) is very useful.

Also suggest you TD the E250 at least once with your dad. Besides the badge (and the lazy gearbox) it won't feel similar to your car at all.
Old 28th January 2015, 14:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg
The 328i has been discontinued or have they exhausted there allocated kits for India? I think I read the latter somewhere on the forum itself.
The petrol 3-series does not figure in the price-list available on the BMW website, though not sure if this is a typo because the two higher diesel-trims are shown having the same price.
Strange confusion: BMW 3 vs 5 Series-bmwpricesjan2015.jpg

Also, how the prices have increased from what they were at launch - from the tbhp official review.
Strange confusion: BMW 3 vs 5 Series-bmwpricesfeb2012.jpg
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed