Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2017, 01:28   #61
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 Replacement - X3, Evoque or GLA?

Went to the BMW showroom this weekend and the powers that be decided that the GT would be the right upgrade... Who am I to argue!

Having said that, the next dilemma comes into play.. Over dinner, her ladyship stated that it may be prudent to bite the bullet ASAP given GST will come into play soon..
Given we have the option to register the car in an outside LBT address, it seemed to be the right line of thinking (Considering GST would have otherwise negated the decent pricing delta of approx 2.5L I can get with the out of LBT registration)

Until I realized that prima facie, it appears that GST may actually help reduce the tax rate (28%+15% cess vs the approx 55% now)

Would really appreciate if Anyone closer to the topic could weigh in.. I am fine deferring the purchase by a couple of months if it means a 10% cost difference

Last edited by abhi182 : 4th April 2017 at 01:33.
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 09:48   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post

Until I realized that prima facie, it appears that GST may actually help reduce the tax rate (28%+15% cess vs the approx 55% now)

Would really appreciate if Anyone closer to the topic could weigh in.. I am fine deferring the purchase by a couple of months if it means a 10% cost difference
I'm not too well informed of how GST is going to affect vehicle prices. I have heard that GST will reduce prices of larger cars.

I'm sure you are getting a decent discount now. If the prices go down so will the discounts. But then again when do these carmakers really reduce prices?

I'd say buy it now and finish off. Waiting a couple of months for something uncertain doesn't make sense to me.
Old 5th April 2017, 03:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I'm not too well informed of how GST is going to affect vehicle prices. I have heard that GST will reduce prices of larger cars.

I'm sure you are getting a decent discount now. If the prices go down so will the discounts. But then again when do these carmakers really reduce prices?

I'd say buy it now and finish off. Waiting a couple of months for something uncertain doesn't make sense to me.
Being more of an instant gratification sucker, couldn't agree more
Time for some hard negotiations and land a good deal on the GT..lets see where it goes

Last edited by abhi182 : 5th April 2017 at 03:20.
Old 5th April 2017, 13:28   #64
BHPian

Quote:

While what you say is correct, the government has left a loophole open by allowing states to apply additional cess over and above the 28%+15% The irony is that the 15% is already a cess. I have a feeling the state governments will not allow a tax drain and will load in additional cess
Old 8th April 2017, 19:59   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
While what you say is correct, the government has left a loophole open by allowing states to apply additional cess over and above the 28%+15% The irony is that the 15% is already a cess. I have a feeling the state governments will not allow a tax drain and will load in additional cess
Agreed - highly unlikely the so called luxury car segment will be left untouched
Hence closed the GT today
Delivery (hopefully) by Friday or Saturday
Old 8th April 2017, 20:51   #66
BHPian

Congrats! I have always liked the GT for the practicality it offers. I also find it more opulent than the standard 3 series.
Old 9th April 2017, 02:58   #67
BHPian

Per the sales rep, Opting for a choice number would cut the wait time at the highly inefficient RTO here to a single business day
At the same time, I have always found the notion of paying extra for a number plate rather silly..
Odd dilemma I guess considering would have loved to get my hands on the vehicle by the long weekend..
For what it's worth, the vehicle I ended up with is the Luxury line variant in Imperial blue/saddle brown
The dealer has it ex stock but the funding process will end up getting to Tuesday and it's unlikely the RTO would process the registration by Thursday :-/
abhi182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 13:36   #68
BHPian

So the dealer got the cleared payments on Wednesday
He sent the car for temp registration on Thu -
On the same day I also got a message from VAHAAN acknowledging receipt of 200 Rs towards temp registration

Unfortunately the RTO was closed from Fri-Sun

The SA is now telling me that he will be able to arrange for delivery only by Thu/Fri claiming he has sent docs for CRTM and he will get CRTM tomorrow post which he will be able to get the car registered on Wednesday.
Does that sound right?
Old 17th April 2017, 13:38   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The SA is now telling me that he will be able to arrange for delivery only by Thu/Fri claiming he has sent docs for CRTM and he will get CRTM tomorrow post which he will be able to get the car registered on Wednesday.
Does that sound right?
Sounds about right. Normally budget for 3-4 extra days over and above what these sales guys say. They never manage to deliver on time. I don't blame them. It is the government machinery at fault here.
Old 20th April 2017, 01:01   #70
BHPian

Oh well, a long but worthy wait ..
Can't wait to get done with the break in period..
On a side note, not sure if it is my nerves or something else but the X1 still feels a bit sportier..
Also, had high hopes from idrive 5 but at least the connected apps bit is somewhat underwhelming
The car definitely feels a lot plusher than the old one though
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 Replacement - X3, Evoque or GLA?-img_1250.jpg  

BMW X1 Replacement - X3, Evoque or GLA?-img_1252.jpg  

Old 20th April 2017, 09:56   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a side note, not sure if it is my nerves or something else but the X1 still feels a bit sportier..
Also, had high hopes from idrive 5 but at least the connected apps bit is somewhat underwhelming
Many congratulations. Did you get the 320D or 330i?
Old 20th April 2017, 10:21   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Many congratulations. Did you get the 320D or 330i?
While I wish I could have got the 330i (which on paper surprisingly costs the same as the 320d LL)
Lack of ready stock + lack of discounts made me choose the latter
abhi182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 10:59   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations! What a beauty! Really a gorgeous looking piece of true German engineering. I really like the color & the shine on it.

Did you take the extended warrantee and the BSI package?
Old 20th April 2017, 13:17   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Congratulations! What a beauty! Really a gorgeous looking piece of true German engineering. I really like the color & the shine on it.

Did you take the extended warrantee and the BSI package?
Thanks!
Based on past experience, I opted for an Extended warranty but not BSI
Old 21st April 2017, 08:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
Based on past experience, I opted for an Extended warranty but not BSI
Thanks for the update. May be a basic question, but what helps one decide, to go or not to go, for BSI type of coverage?

My thought is that if a car is being used sparingly and not much mileage per month put on, then BSI is not worth the investment as other major mechanical & engine parts are anyways covered under regular extended warrantee - is this correct?

To put it another way, leaving aside the cost part of BSI coverage (which we know is pretty expensive) what are the conditions under which one should strongly consider purchasing a BSI coverage for a luxury car.

Most Viewed