Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2015, 00:51   #1
BHPian

BMW X1 Replacement - X3, Evoque or GLA?

Looking for a new SUV which would replace my ageing X1. The car would surely be missed because of the beautiful hydraulic steering which none other car in my garage will have and for various other reasons but you gotta learn to let go

So, as the title indicates I have shortlisted the X3 Expedition (top of the line), Evoque Pure (base) and GLA 200 Sport (top end).

The priority is good styling, space, fun to drive quotient, and should be good for long road trips (Mumbai-Delhi, Delhi-Patna). The X3 kinda fits the bill pretty well but then again the engine will be more or less the same as the one on my current X1 which I have been using since a good 3-4 years now. The reason for considering the GLA is it's PETROL motor so I'm expecting it to be a lot different from the cars I currently own. And Evoque? needless to say it looks the most sexiest of the lot and it's a Range Rover at the end of the day but then again it's a little cramped in comparison to the X3 and the diesel engine is prettyy boring and it just not seem fair that you spend close to 60-65L and end up buying a car thats boring to drive . Then again, this is all I could think of in my budget which maxes out at 60L. Suggestions?

Last edited by noopster : 20th April 2017 at 10:18. Reason: Fixed emoticon
Old 25th February 2015, 02:34   #2
BHPian

Wait for the X3 with the 6-cylinder 3 liter Diesel engine which will be out in May.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2015 at 13:17. Reason: No short-forms please
ecclipse78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 11:40   #3
BHPian

re: BMW X1 Replacement - X3, Evoque or GLA?

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2015 at 13:17.
polo_ankit is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th February 2015, 11:58   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not wait for the X3 30d " M Sport Package "

^ the above will be launched with an M Kit i.e. aggressive front bumper, larger rims, air intakes etc (like we have seen on 530d)

Another option can be the Land Rover Discovery Sport ( will launch in 3-4 months )

Last edited by karan561 : 25th February 2015 at 12:00.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 12:24   #5
BHPian

With all the horror stories of JLR doing the rounds on web, I would suggest to stay away from the Evoque, howsoever sexy it may be.

Talking about the X3 I would echo Karan's words, the X3 30d would be a phenomenal package and a worthy upgrade indeed.

The GLA 200, though, pleasurable to drive loses out on space and IMO is a bit pricey for what it offers.

I would like to add one more car from the Mercedes stable : The ML 250!
It would be an absolute new experience for you and offers an excellent package of space, features, comfort and driving dynamics. Moreover the road presence of this car is best out of the lot and boy, it does turn heads! It would fit your budget quite well too

Happy Shopping!

Regards,
Shreyak
shreyak_ss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 12:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
The X3 kinda fits the bill pretty well but then again the engine will be more or less the same as the one on my current X1 which I have been using since a good 3-4 years now.
They have recently changed the 20d engine from N47(same as in your X1) to B47 in the X3, its quieter, more efficient and more powerful than the outgoing engine.

Good Engine- Check
Great Transmission(ZF8)- Check
Perfect Ride/Handling Balance- Check

I would opt for the X3 over the overpriced Evoque, if i had to stretch my budget i would opt for the ML class.

GLA is not an upgrade from a X1, you would gain some, lose some.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th February 2015 at 12:35. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 13:27   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X1 Replacement - X3, Evoque or GLA?

If you're considering the GLA, why not the Q3? It's better than the GLA in every way. More of an SUV, has AWD, a great engine, smooth dual-clutch gearbox and quality interiors.

I second the suggestions of the X3 3.0 or the ML250.

Don't know if you are open to pre-owned, but there are a lot of like-new Audi Q7 3.0 TDIs that will fit in your budget. This is a full size SUV with an awesome engine under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Another option can be the Land Rover Discovery Sport ( will launch in 3-4 months )
Oh God, no! The Discovery is very, very unreliable. From the premium brands, the higher-end Land Rovers & Range Rovers are the absolute worst when it comes to durability. Innumerable problems, horrible after-sales and tiny service network.

They should give a lifetime supply of Aspirin free with every Land Rover / Range Rover.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 13:38   #8
Team-BHP Support

Nobody likes the Volvo XC60?
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 13:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nobody likes the Volvo XC60?
I was about to say the same

Adi, why not have a look at the XC60?? Looks gorgeous, has a decent engine and interiors are good too. Plus its a CBU unlike the others in the segment so the fit and finish would be just that tad bit better. And since not many opt for it, it is pretty exclusive too
Volvo's are known to be the best when it comes to safety. So no worries about those highway drives also. Also the insurance cost for Volvo's being on the lower side would be an added benefit.
Old 25th February 2015, 14:46   #10
BHPian

If you're considering the X3... why not the Q5 with the AWD Quattro?
Old 25th February 2015, 14:58   #11
BHPian

IMO the Q's need a styling refresh asap, and the X's are also getting pretty old in the looks department, and as you pointed out rightly, the engine wont be much of an upgrade even though it has changed.

Today, its the three pointed star that's making the most droolworthy designs, and the ML looks good. even in 250 guise, there would be a slightly higher bump in power than moving to X3, and for sure, without the RFTs, you would love the ride as well.
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 15:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh God, no! The Discovery is very, very unreliable. From the premium brands, the higher-end Land Rovers & Range Rovers are the absolute worst when it comes to durability. Innumerable problems, horrible after-sales and tiny service network.

They should give a lifetime supply of Aspirin free with every Land Rover / Range Rover.
I know what you are saying specifically after our fellow BHPian "madmonkey's" case.

But, those were the older gen LR & RRs (Famous air suspension failure etc), aren't the new gens much improved and reliable ?

I myself have this war in my head going on and i am strongly considering the LR Discovery Sport as my Fortuner's replacement, if this wont work out i will end up buying the all new Fortuner which will launch next year (safest bet)
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 18:16   #13
BHPian

I think the X3 makes the most sense from your list. Also as Vid mentioned why not the XC60. The Evoque is a stunner and so are the reliability issues I have been reading about off late.

The GLA will not be an upgrade. You would get a slightly plusher ride with lesser driving fun. Choose between the X3 (new engine) and XC60, the latter would be my choice though.

Last edited by GTO : 26th February 2015 at 14:56. Reason: Typo
Old 25th February 2015, 18:38   #14
BHPian

I would recommend you to either chose the Evoque or go for the Volvo XC60. The XC60 is an amazing vehicle, and the feel good factor surpasses that of the Germans.

Why I would recommend against the X3 is because you will not feel like you've made too big an upgrade, with the same engine, transmission and a similar interior as your X1.

Evoque on the other hand looks drop dead gorgeous, and is a very versatile vehicle. It's fast, safe and dynamically capable. But, the JLR ASS woes will make me hesitate a little.

So, I would say, go either for the Volvo or the Land Rover.
Old 25th February 2015, 20:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

X3 or Q3 IMO.

Slightly OT, can't resist: You guys know about the Land Rover jokes right?

Some gems from a post at a South African 4x4 forum I frequent (there is a long standing war among Land Rover and Toyota owners):
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=95478

All Land Rovers are like women - They moan on long journeys, embarrass you in front of friends and you spend more money than you ever expected once you've committed yourself to one.

Landy's have the best fuel consumption of all 4x4's.
That's because they are always being towed by something else.

When you drive on a toll road, you get these yellow emergency phones next to the road. Stop and look closer. On the phones there are emergency numbers l: police, ambulance, doctor and Landrover Service .

Q: What do you find on pages 4 and 5 of the Landy’s user's manual?
A: The train & bus schedule.

Q: What do you call a Landy with brakes?
A: Customized.

Q. Why do the latest models have rear window demisters.
A. To keep the hands warm when pushing.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 25th February 2015 at 20:20.
nilanjanray is online now   (21) Thanks

Most Viewed