Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 16:33   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Luxury Sedan Advice - 2015 Mercedes S350 CDI or BMW 730d?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
Looking for Replacement for Jaguar 3.0L XJL.
I don't think the 7-Series is a good upgrade for you and that's because you already own the Jaguar XJ-L which has a huge 'WOW' factor to it. Love the XJ's design & styling (inside out). In comparison, the 7-Series will be boring.

If you have to upgrade now, it has to be the mighty S-Class. If you can, wait for the new 7-Series and decide between the two. Hardly a couple of months to the launch.

Quote:
Lacks under-thigh support
Please go back & adjust the seat . There is no way that the S-Class lacks under-thigh support.

Quote:
Some squeaking noises in the car
We can safely credit this to an abused test car.

Quote:
No spare wheel (Donut wheel available as a paid option)
Come on, this is nitpicking when getting a 1.5 crore luxo-barge! Just buy a spare wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I have only read that 7 is based on Ghost platform
Since the 7-Series came out first, lets say that the Ghost is based on the 7's platform .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
If it helps, I'm attaching the BSI price list which now crosses 10years/2L kms option.
Wow, thanks for sharing! This information isn't available anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
but maximum extended warranty is 5 Years only.
BMW now offers complete warranty up to 6 years. VSD's sheet has the pricing.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 17:54   #17
BHPian

what about an Audi? if price is not the question, but on road presence and luxury is.. Bentley also fits in.
Old 10th August 2015, 19:52   #18
BHPian

You already seem extremely inclined towards the 7, considering your avatar and your comments. Go with what you desire. If you want to save some moolah, wait till the new 7 launches, and get the current one with a hefty discount.

You can't go wrong with either of the trio, the A8, S and the 7. All three are wonderful cars and win the battle in their own way. Now, just get what your heart says.
prakhar1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 21:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
You already seem extremely inclined towards the 7, considering your avatar and your comments. Go with what you desire. If you want to save some moolah, wait till the new 7 launches, and get the current one with a hefty discount.

You can't go wrong with either of the trio, the A8, S and the 7. All three are wonderful cars and win the battle in their own way. Now, just get what your heart says.
Prakhar,

You caught me right, I am already inclined towards 7 series, and this time its head over heart, reason want headache free ownership and don't want to get stuck with lemon after owning two cars from Mercedes (2009 W221 S class & 2004 W203 - C class) earlier with bad experience.
Old 10th August 2015, 23:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BMW now offers complete warranty up to 6 years. VSD's sheet has the pricing.
Thanks for correcting , in fact mine is 2009 Model Year and I am on 6th Year extended warranty
Quote:
If you want to save some moolah, wait till the new 7 launches, and get the current one with a hefty discount.
7 has been under performer world over , discounts of 10-15 lac are more of a norm , given the way BMW India is stocking Kits I doubt prices will go down any further , if I am not mistaken there will be limited colour options already as they plan to shift to new production at end of Year .

Quote:
reason want headache free ownership and don't want to get stuck with lemon after owning two cars from Mercedes (2009 W221 S class & 2004 W203 - C class) earlier with bad experience.
I think Mercedes has improved quality tremendously and this car should not be compared to old siblings , I believe you can buy something called star care packages as well though I won't have details .

If you have extra change and you are not bothered by 30-35 lac - go with S Class but in case you want something VFM - 7 series will be a wiser decision . Pick up the one which has contrast interiors - ivory with black looks best .

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th August 2015 at 00:00.
Old 11th August 2015, 01:18   #21
BHPian

It makes sense to wait for the next gen BMW 7 Series, which should not be more than a couple of months away

Check out the Video on the below Link, surely looks like a package worth waiting for :-)

Old 11th August 2015, 03:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

I wish i can have this dilemma Sweet dilemma. I would still say Merc simply because the class it carries is definitely better than a 7 series. And a BMW to me is best when enjoyed in the M suit. A M5 or M3 as an option would have made me say BMW blindly.

To me as a luxury i prefer the Merc. The S is just a deadly car.
Old 11th August 2015, 10:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Safety, comfort, reliability, Stable highway car considering it would be driven at 140kmph on highway between Pune-Mumbai.
Hi, I may sound like a killjoy but just want to remind you that speed limit on the eway is 80 kmph. Considering that you wouldn't be using the road alone (I also drive on it along with my 3 year old child!) I suggest you don't overspeed.

Last edited by nda992 : 11th August 2015 at 10:45. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 11th August 2015, 10:40   #24
BHPian

I wonder how would it feel to go for any of german trio after using british marquee, XJ-L. Did that sound like downgrading or am i simply stupid, having no idea about this luxo segment? Just a thought, how abt Porsche panamera? That can give you some uniqueness factor with luxury for sure....
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 13:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
I wonder how would it feel to go for any of german trio after using british marquee, XJ-L. Did that sound like downgrading or am i simply stupid, having no idea about this luxo segment? Just a thought, how abt Porsche panamera? That can give you some uniqueness factor with luxury for sure....
The XJL actually has some pretty cheap plastics on the interior in places. The 7 and S will feel better put together. Though arguably, the Jag has more style. The Panamera cannot be compared to these cars, it is of a totally different segment.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2015, 13:30   #26
BHPian

You are currently driving the XJ-L & if you buy the current gen BMW 7, you frankly are not upgrading & to me it doesn't seem like a logical decision. 90% of the people here would recommend you the new S or wait for the new 7, I am no different (I own both Mercedes E & the BMW F10 5 so I won't be biased even though I am a BMW fan).
The new S is actually the best car in this segment.

The only issue would be the next gen 7 would quite expensive then your deal on the current 7. Expecting 30L + & no discounts.

Few pointers from me:

Quote:
Mercedes Benz S 350d

Cons:
Lacks under-thigh support
As GTO said this can be adjusted.

Quote:
Rough ride quality in sports mode
That is pretty obvious sport mode is not meant for comfort. Even BMW would sacrifice on its smoothness in sports mode, so that is applicable to any brand even the Audi.

Quote:
Most International features missing in Indian car
Front seat –doesn’t have memory control
Yes That is a let down but the new S has better tech than the current 7!

Choose wisely. Take care!

Last edited by Dante : 12th August 2015 at 13:31.
Old 12th August 2015, 13:54   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The XJL actually has some pretty cheap plastics on the interior in places. The 7 and S will feel better put together. Though arguably, the Jag has more style. The Panamera cannot be compared to these cars, it is of a totally different segment.
The Jag has only style but no comfort. Plastic quality is very cheap and its already squeaking at many places (spoils the total luxury car feel). Secondly leg space in the rear is very bad and rear seat is only reclinable for back rest ,no adjustment for seat base possible (lacks underthigh support). Airconditioning cools unevenly with 4 zone control only for name sake ,manual sun blinds in the rear,no audio controls at the rear, doors are not soft closing. Ride quality and steering feel is also not the best of the lot.
Also the car is already outside warranty and extended warranty is not offered as a option and don't want to take chances with british /german cars.
Also I am really very satisfied with my current BMW ,its the only luxury car I can vouch for after Toyota for reliability.
I have used Audi ,Mercedes ,BMW, Volvo, Jaguar, Range rover but never been so satisfied with any other brand.
Old 12th August 2015, 14:00   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Jag has only style but no comfort. Plastic quality is very cheap and its already squeaking at many places (spoils the total luxury car feel). Secondly leg space in the rear is very bad and rear seat is only reclinable for back rest ,no adjustment for seat base possible (lacks underthigh support). Airconditioning cools unevenly with 4 zone control only for name sake ,manual sun blinds in the rear,no audio controls at the rear, doors are not soft closing. Ride quality and steering feel is also not the best of the lot.
Also the car is already outside warranty and extended warranty is not offered as a option and don't want to take chances with british /german cars.
Also I am really very satisfied with my current BMW ,its the only luxury car I can vouch for after Toyota for reliability.
I have used Audi ,Mercedes ,BMW, Volvo, Jaguar, Range rover but never been so satisfied with any other brand.
I agree. After spending a fair bit of time in a friends XJL, it didn't feel worth the price (at least the price its at now). It wasn't a proper luxury car.

And you are right about BMWs being reliable. I too have noticed that it is more reliable than the other luxury brands.

BTW do give Infinity in Worli, Mumbai a call. Ask for Winston and give him my ref, he may be able to give you a good deal on the 7 (its worth a shot, since these dealers do have cars they are willing to give away at great prices. And I haven't heard the best things about the Pune dealer in terms of price).
Old 18th August 2015, 20:51   #29
BHPian

Guys finally booked ---BMW 7 series ,Mineral white with ivory interiors. Upgraded to 19 inch alloys from Signature series and mixed tyres.

Decision making process --Tried back to back Mercedes S class and BMW 7 series.
BMW Differentiators--
Suspension has solid feel and very comfortable especially in sports mode.(no sideways wavy movement)
Seats are best in segment with perfect under thigh support(Luckily front seats in eminence model also has space which acts as a proper leg rest hidden under the Tray for Rear passengers)
Separate Audio/DVD player and i drive --available in rear seat ( I think no other car in this segment offers separate Player in the rear)

I would not go into details of Mercedes S class ,since it has been debated enough on the forum.

Car comes with Donut wheels which is 18inch ---Showroom guys says donut wheel remains the same irrespective of the alloys upgrade--any suggestions.
vishal9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 09:06   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey congratulations, why are we not surprised? :-) All the cars in this segment are really good, so just comes down to personal preference and details like you mentioned.

Why don't you stick to 18in wheels? More practical. With 19 inch everything becomes a "sourcing" project - replacement tires, spare, etc. You will have such interest initially, but later on it becomes a pain to source once the car is not so new.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks