Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2015, 23:32   #1
BHPian

Luxury SUV – 2015 Toyota Landcruiser vs Volvo XC90

Luxury SUV – 2015 Toyota Land cruiser vs 2015 Volvo XC90

Looking for Replacement for Range rover sport.

After having used My Range Rover 3.6ltr sport for 5 years and 85,000kms now looking for replacement. Since lately car has been troubling a lot with maintenance issue.

Contenders: 2015 new shape Toyota Land cruiser or Volvo XC90.
Range rover is not considered because of Low reliability.

Requirement – Off road use on weekends and fortnightly Pune – Mumbai travel, Long trips monthly.
Yearly usage – 20000kms.
Reliability, Safety, comfort & Off-road ability, good ground clearance.

Test driven none -- Volvo test drive expected next week, Toyota –test drive of older variant available.

Toyota land cruiser
Pros:
Latest model –delivery available Dec 2015.
Looks are superb
Front seat reclines back to form a bed to be accessed from rear seat.
7 Seater
Reliability is superb
Comfort is top notch
King of off-roading.
Superb Ground Clearance
Lowest maintenance
KDSS Suspension(Earlier car had TEMS)
LED lighting
Mocha interiors
Resale is best in class

Cons:
Unrealistic pricing.
Apart from pricing I could not find any.

Volvo XC90— not tried yet
Pros:
Futuristic look
Superb safety features
Top notch interiors

Following cars are not considered due to
BMW X5 –Rear seat Leg space is less than 5 series.
Range rover is not considered because of Low reliability.
Porsche Cayenne – Best in class, Long term reliability is a question, No dealership in Pune (Limited network), Not very healthy reviews.
Mercedes GL350 –Car doesn’t have built quality of Land cruiser, Reliability is a Question.

Guys –please Advise.

Moderator—I could not find any relevant existing thread on this discussion. If you find any relevant thread, please merge.

Last edited by vishal9999 : 10th September 2015 at 23:57.
vishal9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 00:55   #2
BHPian

re: Luxury SUV – 2015 Toyota Landcruiser vs Volvo XC90

XC-90 comes with excellent looks and interiors. However, do check out the engine options, as I believe it is powered by a 4 cylinder 2L unit which is underpowered for the class.

I think the Land Cruiser is the choice depending on the importance and frequency of the off road use.
aditya101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 01:57   #3
BHPian

I think you should go for the Land cruiser. It will be refreshing to own a vehicle with so many gadgets, yet having bulletproof reliability. Not to forget it's off-road capability. But on the flip side the pricing of the Land cruiser is atrocious.
Shanksta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 02:50   #4
BHPian

It's a little hard to make a like for like comparison between the two.

The Landcruiser is a 4.5ltr V8, while the XC90 is a 2.0ltr 4 cylinder engine, which is measly compared to the LC. The power and driving experience between the two will likely be massive. The XC90, IMO in its Indian guise will feel very underpowered.

Secondly, the prices are world's apart. The LC is twice the price of the XC90. The Landcruiser is an accomplished and proven off-roader. The XC90, I'm not really aware of its off-roading skills so I can't comment on it.

This will come down to your personal preference between the two with all those things in mind. XC90 might be the more practical choice in terms of its amazing looks and lower price point. But with that said the Landcruiser is a beast with an amazing pedigree and quality to match.

Have you also considered the all new Q7?
Old 11th September 2015, 04:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Contenders: 2015 new shape Toyota Land cruiser or Volvo XC90.
Quote:
Toyota land cruiser
Pros:
Latest model –delivery available Dec 2015.
Front seat reclines back to form a bed to be accessed from rear seat.
wow , what a position to be in , I was also checking on similar lines except for the finances

well Land-Crusier (MY 2016 ) should be no brainer , high initial price not withstanding . It will hold its value pretty good , I have seen many owners selling Prado - Petrol included after over 5 Years Plus with very high mileage asking insane money . It is XL sized proper SUV - we can't really compare these with punny 4 Cycl. volvo or even 6 cylinder Germans . The height at which you sit is phenomenal and given the low number of these , will feel fresh even considering moderate design elements .

Will be interesting to know more about some about the truck if you have some more information . Can you share or email in case you can't put online . My brother has smaller GX in Canada -I can tell you charm of 8 cylinder is very different .

Last i heard from my known was Toyota dealers are taking order with non refundable deposit of 10 lac for deliveries Early next Year as this is still not launched globally . I could not get hands to any brochure or spec sheet but we should not expect much on engine or transmission side - right ? I don't think they are going to change chassis either maybe some better suspension . Dealers are expecting a marginal increase in prices .

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th September 2015 at 05:03.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 12:25   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Luxury SUV – 2015 Toyota Landcruiser vs Volvo XC90

I don't think the two can be directly compared.

For one, the Landcruiser costs a whopping 1.5 crores on the road (XC90 is about half that at 80 lakhs). Whatever way you look at it, the 200 series Landcruiser is simply not worth 1.5 crores. It's nearly 9 years old now, feels outdated and is too simple for the money. This statement applies to the updated 200 Series as well.

The XC90 seems competent, however it can't offroad...nowhere near the Landcruiser in this department.

My first question to you is, what kind of offroading do you intend to do? Is this simple stuff like broken roads, slush, muck, grass and the like? In that case, any AWD will suffice. On the other hand, are we talking about mountain-goat requirements? If that's the case, are you sure you want to take a crore+ vehicle through that? If anything serious breaks while offroading, you are looking at 6 - 7 figure repair bills.

Why not wait for the all-new 2nd generation Audi Q7? Have you considered the Mercedes GL?

Last edited by GTO : 11th September 2015 at 12:30.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 17:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
It's a little hard to make a like for like comparison between the two.
Have owned Audi Q7 Earlier and It was the worst SUV I have ever owned, no offence to q7 owners --that's my personal opinion. Had sold the vehicle within six months of ownership. The ride quality at high speeds & Stability can only be compared to Mahindra.

Last edited by ampere : 11th September 2015 at 18:49. Reason: Removed bulk of quoted post
Old 11th September 2015, 18:58   #8
BANNED

My vote goes for Volvo XC90 because:

1] For its unique and futuristic looks, Landcruiser looks dated compare to Volvo.

2] XC90 makes everyone turn heads and grab eyeballs everywhere you go, which makes you special and feel proud.

3] Easily the Safest car in the World.

4] Has got many features, which is not available in higher segments also.

I have seen many members considering Volvo during their buying process, but finally drop it because of its brand value, after sales etc. Only if we try them we will know their capability. I have received all good opinions on Volvo cars so far.

A businessman in Salem liked Volvo so much that he bought all the 5 models.
volvo_harish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 22:48   #9
BHPian

Have you considered a cayenne? You seem to have the budget for it.It's has got to be the car that is best at everything, especially that 4.2 litre v8 bi turbo tdi. Plus Porsche badge means major brand upgrade from the usual German 3. As far as I can see only fly in the ointment seems to be the possibility of a nasty A.S.S experience. Even a Poonawalla wasn't spared on that front. That's the Germans for ya.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 22:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't think the two can be directly compared.
For one, the Land cruiser costs a whopping 1.5 crores on the road (XC90 is about half that at 80 lakhs). Whatever way you look at it, the 200 series Landcruiser is simply not worth 1.5 crores. It's nearly 9 years old now, feels outdated and is too simple for the money. This statement applies to the updated 200 Series as well.
Though intermediately car would be used on bad broken roads or village type roads .The car would also be used for 500kms long drives. Extreme offroading would always be welcome feature considering the go anywhere ability and peace of mind you carry.

Volvo --Does anyone have any idea about standard and extended warranty offered. Do they provide comprehensive service packages.
Does anyone know ownership experience of 2015 --XC90 or long term reliability as I could not find any such information online.

GL -- I test drove the GL but the build quality is poor. Test drive vehicle with 4000kms on the odo already had interior noises. Air suspension are prone to failures, I personally prefer a hydraulic suspension over Air suspension considering the long term reliability and less complicated systems which are more apt for Indian Road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Have you considered a cayenne? You seem to have the budget for it.It's has got to be the car that is best at everything, especially that 4.2 litre v8 bi turbo tdi. Plus Porsche badge means major brand upgrade from the usual German 3. As far as I can see only fly in the ointment seems to be the possibility of a nasty A.S.S experience. Even a Poonawalla wasn't spared on that front. That's the Germans for ya.
As I already mentioned, it ticks all the boxes except long term reliability and A.S.S which is my number one priority after owning almost all German brands. Also considering it comes from Volkswagen stable which is not so A.S.S conscious for any of its brands.
Any long term ownership reviews from actual users would be a welcome factor as this was the only car which was my Third option.

Last edited by ampere : 11th September 2015 at 23:01. Reason: Back to back post merged
Old 11th September 2015, 23:11   #11
BHPian

There was a news that Nissan will start launching their high end cars here to boost their brand image. Cars in consideration included the patrol. So that might be worth a good look.
Old 12th September 2015, 12:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

As you have considered a pricey option like the LC200 i.e. 1.5 cr + IMO might as well consider this;

Luxury SUV – 2015 Toyota Landcruiser vs Volvo XC90-715x477.jpg

G63 AMG

Last edited by karan561 : 12th September 2015 at 12:16.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 12:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
As you have considered a pricey option like the LC200 i.e. 1.5 cr + IMO might as well consider this;
G63 AMG
Exactly what I was going to suggest. It's tough as a nut(atleast it looks like one), can leave behind many sports cars in a straight line and is a status symbol as much as the Land Cruiser.
You should either consider G63 AMG or the Land Cruiser. The Volvo XC90 is a size smaller than the Land Cruiser.
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 12:24   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Attachment 1413528

G63 AMG
Your kidding right? Firstly that's 2cr+. Secondly comfortable is not an adjective I would use to describe it. Also its quite cramped inside. For show? Hell yes, the G63 is awesome. But not to actually use.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 12:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Your kidding right? Firstly that's 2cr+. Secondly comfortable is not an adjective I would use to describe it. Also its quite cramped inside. For show? Hell yes, the G63 is awesome. But not to actually use.
No where in the opening post vishal9999 has defined any deliverables like 'practicality'

He just wanted good GC, OFF ROAD ability, reliability & safety.

Comfortable or not let vishal9999 decide after test driving he will know wether it is suitable for him or not.

I just added another option to consider before making the decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks