Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2016, 20:35   #31
Zed
BHPian

Re: Q5 or Evoque + what if it's affected by chennai floods ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post

3) How much different is the Discovery sport to the Evoque ?
In simple terms the Discovery sport is a spacious & less luxurious version of the Evoque. A revised rear suspension layout permits optional 3rd row seating but with limited space and comfort for two adults. Hence the '5+2 seating' terminology. I assume the engine and drivetrain are common between the two for the Indian Market. The Evoque scores over the DS in terms of interior & exterior styling but seating comfort (second row) is not a benchmark. And the sloping roofline limits headroom for rear seat occupants. Stating the obvious - the Evoque is part of the Range Rover Family and the DS is part of the Discovery ( i,e Land Rover) brand.

Last edited by Zed : 9th January 2016 at 20:44.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2016, 20:43   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
The Evoque scores over theDS in terms of interior & exterior styling but seating comfort (second row) is not a benchmark. And the sloping roofline limits headroom for rear seat occupants
Thanks Zed. Do you mean to say that the 2nd row seat space for the Evoque is poor and is limited by the sloping roofline ? The lack of 3rd row seat is not a deal breaker but poor space in the second row might be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Hello,

If you are unsure about whether or not the cars are flood affected, i suggest that you stay away and insist on a car thats not been there during the floods.

The Discovery Sport and Evoque are different cars. Some basic things may be the same but don't base your decision on that test-drive.

You can also look at the X3.

Hope this helps
I asked the Audi sales guys and he assured me that the Audi and JLR stockyards were unaffected during the floods.
Old 9th January 2016, 20:48   #33
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Zed. Do you mean to say that the 2nd row seat space for the Evoque is poor and is limited by the sloping roofline ? The lack of 3rd row seat is not a deal breaker but poor space in the second row might be a problem.
When I compared the DS and the Evoque I found seating comfort, headroom and leg space to be significantly better in the DS. I would recommend checking it out for yourself.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 10:32   #34
BHPian

If I were you I would wait for a week and have a look at the Endeavour. It will have everything that these SUVs offer at a lesser cost. Plus these won't be flood affected too!
Only thing missing is the Brand image. If that's what you want then ignore this comment.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 10:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
If I were you I would wait for a week and have a look at the Endeavour. It will have everything that these SUVs offer at a lesser cost. Plus these won't be flood affected too!
Only thing missing is the Brand image. If that's what you want then ignore this comment.
Think he is looking for a easy to drive around monocoque and not a full sized suv!

That said, yes, if you are looking for second row comfort, the evoque isn't really the ideal choice.
Old 10th January 2016, 11:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post

You can also look at the X3.

Hope this helps
No one liked the X3's looks so we rejected that in the beginning itself.

Quote:
When I compared the DS and the Evoque I found seating comfort, headroom and leg space to be significantly better in the DS. I would recommend checking it out for yourself.
Alright thanks Zed. Will test drive the DS first and then try the Evoque as well.

Is there any difference in the 2015 and 2016 Evoque model ? I think the 2015 models have the 9 speed gearbox and parking sensors as standard in all variants now.

The Evoque's Pure variant costs 57,67,647 On road ( Ex-showroom 47,93,733 ). Is this price good or can I get more discount on 2015 model ?
Old 10th January 2016, 19:27   #37
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any difference in the 2015 and 2016 Evoque model ? I think the 2015 models have the 9 speed gearbox and parking sensors as standard in all variants now..... can I get more discount on 2015 model ?
I am not sure about specifics related to India - your sales advisor can shed light on 2015 Vs 2016 model Yr differences. Regarding discounts - the Landrover DS and Range Rover Evoque command 2-6 months waiting periods in most global markets on account of JLR's (relatively) limited manufcaturing capacity. That said you can ceratinly try and negotiate a lower price for an older model yr from your dealers inventory. Happy shopping !
Old 10th January 2016, 22:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
No man, not considering cross shopping with the Endeavour.

Quote:
I am not sure about specifics related to India - your sales advisor can shed light on 2015 Vs 2016 model Yr differences. That said you can ceratinly try and negotiate a lower price for an older model yr from your dealers inventory. Happy shopping !
I don't think sales advisors will be very honest with these kind of things. Anyways I checked online and the 2016 models internationally come with a new Ingenium engines, as far as I read, this engine is not coming to India. JLR India are continuing with the same 2015 engines here for the Evoque.

The other differences internationally are new all LED front headlights and new tail lights. New shark fin antenna with new seat design and an updated infotainment system. New front fascia as well.

Heart is tugging towards the Evoque but the mind is towards the Q5 because of the huge discounts offered to the tune of 8 Lakh Rs. I suspect the Q5 to be a test drive vehicle, of course on enquiring they vehemently denied it.

Update : My bad, 2016 models are already released in India. Need to check with the sales guy tomorrow if the pricing was for the MY 2015 or 2016.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 10th January 2016 at 22:47.
Old 11th January 2016, 11:43   #39

Lots of JLR vehicles were affected in the Chennai floods, most of them were there in their Ekatuthangal service center, both new and customer cars that had come for servicing. There were at least 40 odd cars that included Jaguars, Discovery Sport and Evoques. But these vehicles have been written off and, I think, they are making an insurance claim. Their service center was also badly damaged. So be sure about the vehicle that gets allotted to you.
All the best on
dr.ashoka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 22:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ashoka View Post
Lots of JLR vehicles were affected in the Chennai floods, most of them were there in their Ekatuthangal service center, both new and customer cars that had come for servicing. There were at least 40 odd cars that included Jaguars, Discovery Sport and Evoques.
Thanks a lot for this. I will make sure I put a word to the sales advisor regarding this.

Quote:
I am not sure about specifics related to India - your sales advisor can shed light on 2015 Vs 2016 model Yr differences. Regarding discounts - the Landrover DS and Range Rover Evoque command 2-6 months waiting periods in most global markets on account of JLR's (relatively) limited manufcaturing capacity. That said you can ceratinly try and negotiate a lower price for an older model yr from your dealers inventory. Happy shopping !
So we finally test drove both the Evoque and Discovery Sport. We were totally impressed by the Evoque's performance ,handling and interiors. That's just like a sports car. The way you get pushed back hard in the seat as soon as you accelerate is just amazing. It's so nimble in handling as well , it's more car like than SUV and here is the problem too. Like you said, the space in the second row and boot is very bad. It's more like a 2+2 SUV with very tight space in the back. So the Evoque got rejected.

We then test drove the Discovery Sport and though it didn't feel as quick it was very spacious and it looked pretty decent though not as stylish as the Evoque. What impressed us most was that the back seats can be reclined and adjusted for Knee room too . This one feature sealed the deal plus we were very happy with the JLR sales guy who was pleasant and professional and not pushy like the Audi guy's who forced a booking amount from us although we were half hearted about the Q5. Audi guy's were too aggressive and that spoiled the whole purchasing experience with them to be quite honest.

So it's going to be the Discovery Sport most probably and I will confirm once we make an advance payment.

Zed you were right about the waiting period's, it's 2 months for the Discovery Sport and 4 month's for the Evoque. There are no 2015 models with them.

To Mod's : Why was this thread moved here ? The comparison was between Range Rover's and Q5. No BMW in the mix. Also it's not pre-owned car's, we are buying brand new. Kindly move to appropriate thread please.
Old 14th January 2016, 08:04   #41
BHPian

Congrats on your decision to buy the discovery sport.

Although the Evoque tugs at the heart by its beauty, one has to concede that practicality wise, it makes sense if only 2 people are going to be in rear seat, and if anything a child may fit in the middle seat comfortably. 6 footers will find the swooping roofline in the rear uncomfortably close, if not actually touching their heads.

The boot, had at least one requirement for me, that is to fit at least one golf bag and the trolley, no prizes for guessing evoque boot can simply not do it!

Discovery therefor,e slots in well enough to erase those worries, is very spacious, boot can be made bigger by simply sliding 2nd row forward etc.
Personally I feel the 3rd row 2 seats, if opted is a waste, even children will find it difficult but for short rides. If only the Discovery were a little more like evoque, in terms of quality of materials, exterior and interior, now that would be a prefect car, wouldn't it!!
Old 14th January 2016, 13:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post

Discovery therefor,e slots in well enough to erase those worries, is very spacious, boot can be made bigger by simply sliding 2nd row forward etc.
Personally I feel the 3rd row 2 seats, if opted is a waste, even children will find it difficult but for short rides. If only the Discovery were a little more like evoque, in terms of quality of materials, exterior and interior, now that would be a prefect car, wouldn't it!!
Perfectly echoed my concerns. Yes they could have made the Disco slightly better in those aspects or they could just increase the wheelbase of the Evoque and slightly widen the rear. It would just be perfect.
Old 14th January 2016, 13:56   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post
!

Abroad, the Discovery is a utilarian vehicle and Evoque is the lifestyle vehicle. Over here, it is purely lifestyle
Old 15th January 2016, 03:06   #44
Zed
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Quote:
We then test drove the Discovery Sport and though it didn't feel as quick it was very spacious and it looked pretty decent though not as stylish as the Evoque. What impressed us most was that the back seats can be reclined and adjusted for Knee room too . .

So it's going to be the Discovery Sport most probably and I will confirm once we make an advance payment.
Well - it is really a head Vs heart situation when it comes to the Evoque Vs DS topic. Another significant strength of the DS - which may or may not be relevant to many buyers - is its off-roading ability. The review below 5th Gear sums it up pretty well.

Which engine option did the test cars have ? The new 2 Ltr ingenium diesel has high and low hp variants. Did the Evoque and the DS sport test cars that you tried have the same output - if not that may explain any significant lack of pep in the DS.

Last edited by Zed : 15th January 2016 at 03:09.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:12   #45
BHPian

Re: Pre-owned dilemma - BMW X3 vs Audi Q5 - RR Evoque/Disco Sport also on pg 3

Quote:

Good choice there. The Discovery Sport serves most purpose well and is pretty comfortable. But, make sure you get the higher BHP variant as the lower BHP variant feels too slow and that power doesn't doesn't fell adequate for that big a car.

Just curious. Did you consider the Volvo XC60? Its a really nice car and I personally love it. It would be my pick in that price range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks