Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 23:51   #1
BHPian

Premium car for a Doctor's daily commute?

This thread is about buying a new car for my father.

When my father said that lets buy a new car the first thing which began was excitement. The never ending thought process started in our minds, which segment, which car we would buy, when we would buy and so on. His use (My father’s use) - He is a doctor and the routine drive is from home to hospital two times a day in Ahmedabad. There is a lot of traffic on that route especially during the time when he passes from there. Parking facility in our hospital building is pretty congested and the curves are such that it becomes cumbersome to maneuver a large car. On a typical day his car travels about 15-20 kilometers but on weekends it may travel about 50-200 kilometers. My father is a passionate driver and hence he drives himself, just like me he doesn’t trust drivers.

Background of the cars that he has used and the ones he has bought for our family.
1. Premier NE 118 – Pre Owned
2. Daewoo Matiz – Period 5 years – Mileage 130000 kilometers
3. Hyundai Accent Crdi – 2004 to 2009 – Mileage 270000 kilometers
4. Hyundai Verna Crdi – 2009 to 2015 – Mileage 158130 kilometers

He currently drives Verna crdi for his daily commute
Premium car for a Doctor's daily commute?-20130211-17.42.43.jpg
We have a 2012 Hyundai SantaFe 4wd for highway use which we don’t use is city and routine use so that we enjoy it exclusively during weekend and long road trips in vacations like Ahmedabad to Nainital and Ahmedabad-Pune-Goa-Coorg-Bandipur-Ooty-Mysore-Kodaikanal-Bangalore-Pune-Ahmedabad(5000kms trip) and many more to come.
Premium car for a Doctor's daily commute?-20150612-11.08.001.jpg
My mother drives a 2012 Hyundai i20.
Premium car for a Doctor's daily commute?-20130628-06.32.35.jpg
I drive a 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic and I love it
Premium car for a Doctor's daily commute?-20150924-11.17.481.jpg

The cars considered-
Audi Q3 Quattro - The first car that we thought of buying was an Audi Q3.We took a test drive of Premium plus model which was also a Quattro. It looked youthful and trendy to us, the size of Q3 is appropriate to be used as a city car and the highway performance is also delightful. It was my first experience with a premium German car so I was amazed.

Positives factors that we felt-
1. Despite of being compact it was fairly spacious and comfortable inside.
2. A massive panoramic sunroof
3. Led headlights
4. We feel that is VFM considering the features we get.
5. It offers a spare wheel
6. Red car with black interiors looks stunning.
7. Reverse camera

Negatives –
1. No navigation
2. No push button start – we would love to have this
3. No arm rest at rear – I wonder why Audi missed it

Volvo S60 R-Design-
Premium car for a Doctor's daily commute?-20151206-12.37.43.jpg
The display car at Volvo Ahmedabad showroom looked stunning in flash red exteriors and high quality dark grey interiors. It is supposed to be a limited edition. This car had all the features of inscription variant. It was loaded to the brim with features which include safety and convenience both. It had an 8 speed transmission and digital display, lot of buttons on the dashboard and very comfortable seats. Despite of it being a good car, I feel that I don’t want my father to take risk on buying this car as I m totally unaware about Volvos after sales service.

Positives
1. Looks of the R-Design variant
2. Good seats and interiors
3. Navigation
4. Keyless entry
5. Design of alloy wheels

Negatives
1. It lacks the status value of a Mercedes or a BMW
2. Quality of its key was pathetic
3. Digital speedometer was not of our taste

Volvo V40 – This was a proper premium hatchback unlike what the sales guy was trying to explain us. Sales person was trying to compare it to Q3. Albeit we were not interested in buying such a small car for huge cash so we didn’t consider it.

Mercedes GLA – This car looked new and appealing but it no where looked comparable to Q3 in size. Still GLA was much more stylish but again it gave us the feel of a raised hatchback like an i20 active or a cross polo. Its interiors were appealing and this too had a panoramic sunroof but again just like V40 we didn’t want to spend much money on a small car so we ignored it.

Mercedes C-Class – It is so beautiful and elegant inside out, me and my parents loved the way it looked. Even my 12 year old brother felt that this is a royal car. Quality was evident in the interiors as well as exteriors. The ride was good but not as comfortable as the Q3.

Positives that we felt-
1.Elegant and class leading exterior and interiors
2.Panoramic sunroof
3.Led headlights
4.Push-button start
5.Aluminum finished on the inside
6.Navigation thought it was optional

Negatives
1.Rear bench comfort wasn’t what we expected from a 3 pointed star
2.Price – it’s the costliest in its segment
3.No memory seats
4.No parking sensors
5.Spare wheel was placed in center of the boot which made the small boot space even smaller

Mercedes CLA-
Premium car for a Doctor's daily commute?-20151207-17.13.07.jpg
This car was so sporty and it looked aggressive. The rimless doors, high bonnet, 5 spoke diamond cut alloy wheels, sporty seat design and sporty dashboard design was very appealing. Albeit this car was too small on the inside and it felt claustrophobic especially in the rear seats. The rear seat was very uncomfortable. Its drive was decent and we liked it. We liked the looks of this car so much that if its rear seat was a little more comfortable then we would have finalized this car.

Positives –
1.Stunning Looks
2.Price
3.Paddle Shift
4.Panoramic Sunroof

Negatives
1.Small boot space
2.No spare wheel
3.Rear seat

Volkswagen Jetta – We wanted to check out what it offered at half the price of the cars we were seeing but it didn’t please us.
We are yet to see Skoda Octavia Anniversary edition which has 8-airbags, navigation, car play, paddle shifts, reverse camera and parking sensory on both ends. I feel that this car has everything that we want the only thing is that it lacks the brand value of Premium cars.

BMW 3-series – The first thing that came to my mind which going to BMW’s showroom was that 3-series facelift is on the way. Still we wanted to check it out because I had seen in reviews that it’s the best to drive. After sitting in it we felt that C-class’s interior was better to look at but 3’s interior gave a cozy and sporty feel. Its drive was involving and the gear shifts were smoother then the C-class. I don’t think that we will buy this because it’s old and would be replaced in the near future. If we buy C-class then I think it would remain appealing for about 4-5 years. The only think which lacked in the 3-series was navigation as compared to c-class but its seats were much more comfortable then c-class.

BMW 3-series GT – This car looked amazing and the best of all that we has seen. It's priced similar to the c-class but offers much more comfort and space. We haven’t driven it yet but I feel that it wouldn’t disappoint us as the drive quality would be similar to 3-series

Positives that we felt
1.It looked elegant and sporty at the same time
2.Panoramic sunroof
3.Rear seat comfort and rear legroom
4.Push-Button start

Negatives
1.Navigation missing
2.We might buy this car based on its size, looks and feature but it may be difficult to drive in city traffic.

My father uses 2009 Verna for his daily use and he is very comfortable with it. He says that if he buys a C-Class or 3-Series GT then we would use this car for weekends and specials occasions and for daily use he will use SantaFe. If he buys Q3 or CLA then he will use it on daily bases. I think that using a SUV in traffic won’t be a good idea but on the other hand we all are so attracted to 3-series GT and C-Class. Our confusion is increasing day by day and in some corner of my mind I feel that if we buy a premium car then it has to be the best and there should be no compromise in any feature. Also it should not be replaced by a facelift or new model for at least 3-4 years.

I think in the final decision making Q3, C-class ,3-series ,3 series GT and the Octavia Anniversary edition will be considered. I would appreciate your suggestions on selection of car.
Old 9th December 2015, 09:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Premium car for a Doctor's daily commute?

This new car you're planning to buy will replace the Verna as his daily drive, is that correct?

You mentioned that he drives through congested roads and that parking is a hassle for a big car. And yet, you're looking at fairly big and premium cars? Big car means he'd face the same issue maneuvering and with a premium car, he'll probably spend too much energy worrying about those nicks and scrapes from the traffic.

Perhaps a premium hatchback? The new A will be out soon.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 11:07   #3
BHPian

IMHO, the Q3 sound the best proposition. I would also suggest that you consider the A4 and probably the A6, since you have considered sedans from other brands like Mercedes & BMW?

If you are in no hurry, you could wait for the new Passat which is likely to be launched in Feb 2016.
rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 11:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
This new car you're planning to buy will replace the Verna as his daily drive, is that correct?

You mentioned that he drives through congested roads and that parking is a hassle for a big car. And yet, you're looking at fairly big and premium cars? Big car means he'd face the same issue maneuvering and with a premium car, he'll probably spend too much energy worrying about those nicks and scrapes from the traffic.

Perhaps a premium hatchback? The new A will be out soon.

Yes it will replace verna. No for A class he wants a bigger car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
IMHO, the Q3 sound the best proposition. I would also suggest that you consider the A4 and probably the A6, since you have considered sedans from other brands like Mercedes & BMW?

If you are in no hurry, you could wait for the new Passat which is likely to be launched in Feb 2016.

We did drive the A4 technology pack aswell , they are giving huge discount and its costing 34 on road but it felt outdated and also a facelift is due in the near future.

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2015 at 12:58. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 9th December 2015, 12:11   #5
BHPian

Why not let your dad use the Verna for his daily commute? You can use the SantaFe if your area of commute permits you and you can buy a Premium car for the weekends.
OR
Go for something that he can easily drive in the congested areas like the Q3. Any other premium sedan from your shortlist will be a tough task to drive.
If sedan is what he's looking for, it should be either the 3GT or The C-class. With 3 GT you get excellent space and good driving dynamics and is pretty much a complete package. The C misses out on space and isn't much involving to drive. Have a look at the Octavia too. Or you can wait for the upcoming Superb. It will surely be an excellent car. Even a newer generation A4 is around the corner.
shreyak_ss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 12:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

You mentioned driving through congested roads. In that case, a premium hatchback or SUV will always be easier to drive than a low-slung sedan with odd curves and not easily predictable overhangs. So either buy a V40 which is a really accomplished hatch the best one yet IMO (Volvo's service quality is pretty good as well) or use the Santa Fe for daily use and buy a C-Class for weekend use (money no object, the C is the most car you can get) those interiors are drool-worthy

PS: going through your post and seeing all the well kept Hyundais that your family owns, I cannot help but recommend checking out the Sonata (I'm sure few dealers will have a couple lying around) wafty comfy sedan that is rare, will garner attention and could be bought at huge discounts saving a butt-load of cash and sticking with what seems to be family tradition

Last edited by IshaanIan : 9th December 2015 at 12:16.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 13:04   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In summary, what your Dad is looking for is a compact premium car. Considering the traffic & hospital premises, he doesn't want a big ride.

My recommendation would be the C-Class, followed by the Q3. The C-Class is fresh & very premium overall. Single advantage of the Q3 would be its higher stance, but it doesn't feel as 'special' as the C-Class does. The new Mercedes is just outstanding. Take your Dad for an extended test-drive of both and buy whatever he's drawn to more. He's worked hard - it's time for him to have some fun in a nice car .

Whenever you need back seat space, the Santa Fe is always available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
going through your post and seeing all the well kept Hyundais that your family owns, I cannot help but recommend checking out the Sonata (I'm sure few dealers will have a couple lying around) wafty comfy sedan that is rare, will garner attention and could be bought at huge discounts saving a butt-load of cash and sticking with what seems to be family tradition
They already have a Santa Fe, so another big Hyundai will be pointless in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I would also suggest that you consider the A4
Too old & outdated. The new C-Class blows the A4 away.

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2015 at 13:06.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 13:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Why not let your dad use the Verna for his daily commute? You can use the SantaFe if your area of commute permits you and you can buy a Premium car for the weekends.
OR
Go for something that he can easily drive in the congested areas like the Q3. Any other premium sedan from your shortlist will be a tough task to drive.
If sedan is what he's looking for, it should be either the 3GT or The C-class. With 3 GT you get excellent space and good driving dynamics and is pretty much a complete package. The C misses out on space and isn't much involving to drive. Have a look at the Octavia too. Or you can wait for the upcoming Superb. It will surely be an excellent car. Even a newer generation A4 is around the corner.
1.My dad used my verna fluidic and i use the santafe is exactly what my mother suggested but then she also feels that it would not be appropriate for a 23year old student to use a SUV. 2. Q3 is the practical choice but after looking at better cars we arent able to resist as the difference in price is not extreme. 3. Yeah the GT scores above a c class in more than one ways. 4. Today we r going for a drive of octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You mentioned driving through congested roads. In that case, a premium hatchback or SUV will always be easier to drive than a low-slung sedan with odd curves and not easily predictable overhangs. So either buy a V40 which is a really accomplished hatch the best one yet IMO (Volvo's service quality is pretty good as well) or use the Santa Fe for daily use and buy a C-Class for weekend use (money no object, the C is the most car you can get) those interiors are drool-worthy

PS: going through your post and seeing all the well kept Hyundais that your family owns, I cannot help but recommend checking out the Sonata (I'm sure few dealers will have a couple lying around) wafty comfy sedan that is rare, will garner attention and could be bought at huge discounts saving a butt-load of cash and sticking with what seems to be family tradition
Yea c class's interiors are definately drool worthy. Yeah our family is a big hyundai fan and while buying santafe we were actually going to buy a sonata but then it was not available in diesel. Later hyundai executives suggested us to take a look at santa fe and we we impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In summary, what your Dad is looking for is a compact premium car. Considering the traffic & hospital premises, he doesn't want a big ride.

My recommendation would be the C-Class, followed by the Q3. The C-Class is fresh & very premium overall. Single advantage of the Q3 would be its higher stance, but it doesn't feel as 'special' as the C-Class does. The new Mercedes is just outstanding. Take your Dad for an extended test-drive of both and buy whatever he's drawn to more. He's worked hard - it's time for him to have some fun in a nice car .

Whenever you need back seat space, the Santa Fe is always available.

They already have a Santa Fe, so another big Hyundai will be pointless in the garage.

Too old & outdated. The new C-Class blows the A4 away.

Sir i agree with what you say , c class is special and fresh too, and there are hardly any chances that it would be replaced within 3-4 years. We will take an extended test drive of c class and q3 back to back and then will let my dad buy what his heart says.
Old 9th December 2015, 16:13   #9
BHPian

Re: Premium car for a Doctor's daily commute?

I would also suggest you look at a Mini Cooper/Countryman?
Looks distinctive and different to the competition.
Not sure about reliability and how it fits into your value for money scale though?
Raja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 18:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I would also suggest you look at a Mini Cooper/Countryman?

Looks distinctive and different to the competition.

Not sure about reliability and how it fits into your value for money scale though?

Mini's are beautiful but they dont suit our requirement.
Old 9th December 2015, 19:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 197Horses View Post
Mini's are beautiful but they dont suit our requirement.
I understand, I just wanted to bring as many options to the table as possible.
How about an Audi A3? Premium saloon and I am sure there are major discounts running on them to make it attractive.
Old 9th December 2015, 20:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

i know its not what he is looking for but i am tilted towards the A series as well. For me its either the big sedan or the nice A series. In between always feels either too big or too small on many occasions. Even the A200 CDI is a good car for the price and its a Merc.

In fact i would be only person to boldly say if size matters i would think about the A series and if it does not i would straightway go towards that Superb but thats me.

Of the choices the current C class is way up class than Audi and Audi/VW as a company is not a right choice at this point. Why take a risk on something that probably has shaky future ahead.
Old 9th December 2015, 22:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
I understand, I just wanted to bring as many options to the table as possible.

How about an Audi A3? Premium saloon and I am sure there are major discounts running on them to make it attractive.
We did see A3 although we didnt drive it , it didnt feel appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
i know its not what he is looking for but i am tilted towards the A series as well. For me its either the big sedan or the nice A series. In between always feels either too big or too small on many occasions. Even the A200 CDI is a good car for the price and its a Merc.

In fact i would be only person to boldly say if size matters i would think about the A series and if it does not i would straightway go towards that Superb but thats me.

Of the choices the current C class is way up class than Audi and Audi/VW as a company is not a right choice at this point. Why take a risk on something that probably has shaky future ahead.

Well he is trying to strike a balance between performance and luxury.
Yeah c is definately ahead of audi. Actually today we took a test drive of 3 Gt and now the choice is narrowing down to c class avantgarde and 3 Gt or if he considers practicality the Q3 premium plus.
Old 11th December 2015, 20:12   #14
BHPian

I would like to suggest the CLA.
Its a compact sedan and looks way better than the rest.
Second preference would be the C-Class.
It feels really special but is slightly larger in size.
So according to me, CLA fits the requirements well.

Happy Shopping!
Old 11th December 2015, 20:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

After the VW fiasco, I wonder how you folks are even remotely considering diesel VWs. I would stay country miles away from an unscrupulous company such as them. One skeleton has fallen off the cupboard. I wonder how many more there are. For my safety and my dear ones, I would never ever consider a vag car in the near future until they completely come clean.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed