Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 12:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Replacing a Superb - BMW GT, Mercedes C220 or 3rd-gen Skoda Superb?

Quote:
Even without the spare, the trunk of the C Class was much smaller than the Superb. So we will probably stick to the Superb itself.
Good choice. Its simply a superb car. My advice if possible and you are someone like me get the MT. You are even kept away from the head ache of DSG. If DSG pay extra to get as much extended warranty as possible.

Show the cash/cheque and let them know you are ready to move to an Audi/BMW/Merc and lure them to give you 4-5 year warranty coverage. After warranty simply roll the car off your hands and shop for the 2020 Superb
Old 26th April 2016, 12:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Good choice. Its simply a superb car. My advice if possible and you are someone like me get the MT. You are even kept away from the head ache of DSG. If DSG pay extra to get as much extended warranty as possible.

Show the cash/cheque and let them know you are ready to move to an Audi/BMW/Merc and lure them to give you 4-5 year warranty coverage. After warranty simply roll the car off your hands and shop for the 2020 Superb
Hi VW2010,

Frankly, we prefer the ATs for the ease of driving in Mumbai city and out of town. For example, as mentioned before, we also own a Yeti which has the same engine as the Superb and I love the 140 bhp power it produces. But there is a big difference in driving pleasure, I prefer using my Polo 1.6 instead of the Yeti in the city simply because of the ease of driving. If the Yeti came in AT, it would be a different story all together.

With regards to shifting to the Merc/BMW/Audi segment, I have mentioned in my previous posts; regardless of the price which is almost 50 lakhs on road, these cars simply do not do justice for the price v/s their offering as compared to the Skoda Superb. What is the point in paying a good 15 lakhs extra just for the badge when the practicality of the car is lost? For 35 lakhs on road, the Skoda Superb offers interior and boot space that is unmatched by the Merc C Class, BMW 3 Series and Audi A4. If you want the space of the Superb in the premium three brands, you will have to look at the Merc E Class, BMW 5 Series and Audi A6 which will touch almost 70 lakhs. As someone mentioned earlier on this thread, the Superb is a re-skinned A6. Its a no brainer really!!!
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 09:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
With regards to after sales service, we own a Skoda Yeti, Skoda Superb (being replaced by the 2016 Superb), Skoda Rapid and VW Polo 1.6 and so far we have been fortunate to not have any issues with their after sales service.
That's great to know. My experience so far has been average at best. If I may ask, generally which service center of Skoda in Mumbai do you stick to?

Thanks and all the best for impending delivery of the beauty
Old 27th April 2016, 12:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinmoy_s View Post
That's great to know. My experience so far has been average at best. If I may ask, generally which service center of Skoda in Mumbai do you stick to?

Thanks and all the best for impending delivery of the beauty
We use JMD at Goregaon. I believe that one must create a rapport with the service centre and especially with the service advisor attending to your vehicle. This helps in many ways to ensure work is done to your satisfaction.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 14:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
We use JMD at Goregaon.
You meant Autobahn at Goregaon, correct?
JMD has a workshop at kandivali, if i am not wrong.
Old 27th April 2016, 15:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
You meant Autobahn at Goregaon, correct?
JMD has a workshop at kandivali, if i am not wrong.
Sorry, we use JMD at Kandivali not Goregaon.
Old 29th August 2016, 17:38   #37
BHPian

INR 30-32L budget, OTR Bangalore: What car?

Hi guys,
My Laura 1.8TSi is now hitting 75k kms and will be due for an upgrade soon. Im looking at a budget of 30-32L on-the-road, Bangalore. What cars should I be considering? Im ok with a used car under 10k kms too... My priorities:

1. Petrol
2. Great engine- I am switching from a 1.8TSi after all
3. Back seat comfort- when i bought the Laura it was 100% self driven. I now get driven to work during the day but self-drive in the evenings and weekends. The Lauras back seat was one of the WORST ive sat in! Need to improve on this point for sure.
4. No SUV's
5. Build Quality- German preferred

Any thoughts / direction would be much appreciated!
Old 29th August 2016, 18:04   #38
BHPian

Re: INR 30-32L budget, OTR Bangalore: What car?

The all new Elantra is out. Ive not driven it but you could expect a review to be up very soon on Team BHP. The petrol top model will be definitely in your budget. The Superb may just be over your budget, but there is no sedan more comfortable than the superb on this side of 40 lakhs. You did mention no SUV's, however do look at the CR-V. It looks very bad in my opinion, but the petrol motor and driving dynamics are among the best. Also, the base A3 would come around 35 OTR.

Ive saved the best option for last, the A4. The new one is up soon, should be out next month so you could get great discounts on the current gen. Especially petrol models. You could easily get it in your budget. You'll have to ask around India though, not just in your city. Many small cities have models left over which they are trying to clear up.

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 29th August 2016 at 18:28.
Old 29th August 2016, 18:19   #39
Team-BHP Support

320i. That is the perfect upgrade from a Laura 1.8tsi. You get an even better motor (with mod potential), more comfort, better build and of course its much more fun to drive with the Bimmer handling and RWD. Did I mention the lovely 8 speed gearbox?
Old 29th August 2016, 18:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
320i. That is the perfect upgrade from a Laura 1.8tsi. You get an even better motor (with mod potential), more comfort, better build and of course its much more fun to drive with the Bimmer handling and RWD. Did I mention the lovely 8 speed gearbox?
There is no way a 320i will fit in a 32 lac budget considering the road taxes here. However yes that is the only solid upgrade. Even the base model will be 37-38 on road easily.
Old 29th August 2016, 18:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Second that. There is a vacuum between 25-35 Lakhs bracket! All three Germans start at 35 Lakhs min. OTR. Others hover around 20-25 Lakhs. Either up the budget or pick top of the line in 25 Lakhs range and may be a Kwid to go with it to buy ice cream in the midnight!
Old 29th August 2016, 18:57   #42
BHPian

Dear Nirav,

Please consider the new Skoda Superb, Audi A3 or a VW Passat. I would personally go for Skoda Superb, it is a proven sedan on Indian roads and the service network has also improved over a period of time.

If you decide to go for a Japanese brand, then a Toyota Camry will score above all. If you can wait then the new Honda Accord can be considered. Honda Accord is one great product, in terms of luxury and comfort it leaves C class and A3 much behind in same price bracket. The back seats are really comfortable and it is one full size successful business sedan. I have kept one for few years and regret selling it.

If you want exclusivity then consider a Nissan Teana, awesome car though expensive to maintain and very poor service network, solid build quality!!
neerajkumar10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 20:49   #43
BHPian

Personally, I would wait for the Accord to be launched shortly. It has received rave reviews across the globe and as per recent interviews by Honda, they are going back to their strengths, Accord and Civic. And as you have mentioned back seat, Accord is one of the best in class for that.

I would also be looking at Audi A3. It might be a bit of a stretch, but you might get a good deal as an upgrade is scheduled to be reaching our shores soon. Its also German, has a brilliant TFSi engine and looks class apart.
Old 29th August 2016, 20:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirav View Post
Hi guys,
My Laura 1.8TSi is now hitting 75k kms and will be due for an upgrade soon. Im looking at a budget of 30-32L on-the-road, Bangalore. What cars should I be considering? Im ok with a used car under 10k kms too... My priorities:

1. Petrol
2. Great engine- I am switching from a 1.8TSi after all
3. Back seat comfort- when i bought the Laura it was 100% self driven. I now get driven to work during the day but self-drive in the evenings and weekends. The Lauras back seat was one of the WORST ive sat in! Need to improve on this point for sure.
4. No SUV's
5. Build Quality- German preferred

Any thoughts / direction would be much appreciated!

The new Skoda Superb would be hands down any day my pick in that price bracket! No question. It looks absolutely

An Absolute looker, great engine, great build quality, fantastic rear seats, amazing leg room, Fabulous engine and tranny, decent VFM ,and did i mention how amazing it looks?,that too in "Business Grey"?

However do wait for the new Accord and check out the Camary Hybrid.

Eager to see if the Accord can give it a run for its money.
Old 29th August 2016, 22:25   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgrade from Laura TSI is going to be tough with that budget. Ideally you should look at BMW stable, they just feel like perfect upgrade to Laura (like iPhone 4s to 6s ). But given the budget constraint and petrol preference, I can't think of anything exciting. Maybe a used 328i or 530d. Or just flog that TSI some more and use the front-passenger seat when being driven. It is a pity there is such a poor choice when it comes to petrols.

OT: Your TSI is MT or DSG? How has your ownership experience been?

Most Viewed