Team-BHP - Replacing a Superb - BMW GT, Mercedes C220 or 3rd-gen Skoda Superb?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Replacing a Superb - BMW GT, Mercedes C220 or 3rd-gen Skoda Superb? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/173658-replacing-superb-bmw-gt-mercedes-c220-3rd-gen-skoda-superb.html)

Hi guys,

We are currently in the process of finalizing a luxury car for ourselves to replace our 2012 Skoda Superb and initially had a budget of a maximum of 30 lakhs - 32 lakhs on road.

We recently attended the launch of the 2016 Skoda Superb and realized that the price for the top of the line L&K variant was 35 lakhs on road. This was a bit of a disappointment for us but we still loved the car. However, we thought to ourselves that if we are going to spend 35 lakhs on a Skoda whose price was veering towards the Merc C Class and BMW 3 Series; should we just look at these brands instead?

On doing our research and negotiations, we zeroed down on the BMW GT 320d Luxury Line and Mercedes Benz C220 Avantgarde. Both these cars were coming to around 45 lakhs on road after discounts. Their maintenance packages were priced between 1.5 lakhs to 5 lakhs extra which would price them to around 50 lakhs on road. Yes, the price difference is a whooping 15 lakhs between the Skoda Superb and the BMW GT / Mercedes C Class.

On further comparison and after test drives of the BMW GT and Merc C Class (we already know what a Superb feels like) and since we are used to the humongous rear seating and boot space of the Superb; apart from the driving experience, it all boiled down to these two points.

The rear leg space of the C Class is all right but boot is smaller. The GT has good rear leg room with a good boot too but still not better than the Superb. The GT is the most powerful of the lot.

The question is which car and is it worth spending a whooping 15 lakhs extra just for the brand?

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

I replaced a superb with the GT. Its a great car, I'm really happy with it.
Back seat space is good, good brand, good gc, nifty features like the spoiler, frameless doors etc.
All depends on your needs.. if its all about the comfort, go for the superb. If you want decent comfort but a good brand and reliability and are willing to shell out the 15L more, go for the BMW. List out your needs, you'll be able to decide yourself.

If you can easily spend the extra 15L then do it. If I could, I would. That said, the Superb is, like the name suggests, superb. My father and I are huge fans of the Superb because of the ENORMOUS space offered. However, 35L is too much for something with a Skoda badge IMO. Is the car worth the money? Absolutely. Is the badge worth the money? No way.

Another suggestion: look at slightly used cars which are under manufacturer warranty. Kind of like GTO's 530d. It's undoubtedly a smart move if you don't end up buying a lemon.

The C Class is a step down from the Superb IMO. Some BHPian was getting the outgoing E Class for around the same price as the C which would definitely be and upgrade from the Superb to be honest. Not sure about the rear space, but an E class is an E class.

I would say go for the C class. Cousin owns the BMW 3 GT. the interior is not so "fab" compared to the C class, which looks like 2 segments above. C class for 45 lakhs on the road is a steal buddy!. In hyderabad/banglore after discounts it costs 48.5 lakhs. I would blindly go for the C class if it can get it even for 46 lakhs on road. I felt 48.5 was not worth for the C class. Hence i got the new CLA class. :)

Agreed, but spending 15 lakhs more on a brand that does not give you the same rear leg and boot space as a 35 lakh car is a bit too much in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnInternetUser (Post 3921385)
If you can easily spend the extra 15L then do it. If I could, I would. That said, the Superb is, like the name suggests, superb. My father and I are huge fans of the Superb because of the ENORMOUS space offered. However, 35L is too much for something with a Skoda badge IMO. Is the car worth the money? Absolutely. Is the badge worth the money? No way.

Another suggestion: look at slightly used cars which are under manufacturer warranty. Kind of like GTO's 530d. It's undoubtedly a smart move if you don't end up buying a lemon.

The C Class is a step down from the Superb IMO. Some BHPian was getting the outgoing E Class for around the same price as the C which would definitely be and upgrade from the Superb to be honest. Not sure about the rear space, but an E class is an E class.

We can probably spend the 15 lakhs more but is it worth it is the question. I personally love the Superb myself as it is absolute value for money!! I am not sure how much GTO spent to buy the 530d but if the difference is not too much between a used and brand new car and I am assuming it may not be too much if the car is still under warranty, then I would rather buy a new car instead.

Yes the C Class is definitely a step down to the Superb and has better interiors than the GT too. Merc and BMW are both on a 'offer giving' spree but then that is common with out going models. Again no point spending that kind of money on an out going model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravelsnip@gmail (Post 3921392)
I would say go for the C class. Cousin owns the BMW 3 GT. the interior is not so "fab" compared to the C class, which looks like 2 segments above. C class for 45 lakhs on the road is a steal buddy!. In hyderabad/banglore after discounts it costs 48.5 lakhs. I would blindly go for the C class if it can get it even for 46 lakhs on road. I felt 48.5 was not worth for the C class. Hence i got the new CLA class. :)

The Merc C Class interiors are awesome but rear leg space isn't great at all. The price of 45 lakhs on road is without the maintenance package. With this package, it comes to 50 lakhs!! The Superb is 35 lakhs on road with Skoda Shield and has way better rear leg room and boot space.

In terms of VFM nothing beats the Superb. The same way the previous Superb was the most VFM too. But still 3 series and C classes and the rest sell a fair amount.

In terms of features the Superb is pretty much at par and better in many ways than the 3 GT and the C class.

But the build quality and driving pleasure still cannot be matched by the Superb of the 3GT or the C.

In my honest opinion, the C class didn't impress me that much besides the good interiors. Space is at a premium and it doesn't feel that well put together.

The 3 GT has good legroom (nothing compared to the Superb) and a big boot and has the driving pleasure of a BMW.

So if 15l is going to be a big stretch better to buy the Superb now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic (Post 3921532)

We can probably spend the 15 lakhs more but is it worth it is the question. I personally love the Superb myself as it is absolute value for money!! I am not sure how much GTO spent to buy the 530d but if the difference is not too much between a used and brand new car and I am assuming it may not be too much if the car is still under warranty, then I would rather buy a new car instead.

From what i remember, GTO paid less than the price of the C class for a company registered 530d (company registered would mean atleast 10 percent premium iirc).
The 3 germans in India are priced to make them aspirational. A lot of the money you pay is for the brand value.
To replace a superb, the c class backseat is too small. The octavia much more space as compared.
If brand value and service arent a concern, stick to the superb. Otherwise, the 3GT is an amazing car.

I completely agree with kkkkkaran.

I don't find the extra 15L worth it if you aren't looking for the brand value or snob factor. If you feel you are fine with having a Skoda when you could have had a GT3 for 15L, then nothing like it. Get a Skoda Superb. If you can't, there's your answer. If I could easily afford to spend an extra 15L (I stress on easily once again), I would go for it. Probably just me, but oh well.

As far as the outgoing models are concerned, I wouldn't mind owning the outgoing E Class. It looks better than the upcoming E in my honest opinion. It has a less debatable interior and is as comfy as a spa. That said, if you aren't keen on getting one, don't.

To conclude, I'd say that it's your car. You are going to be using it for (presumably) 5 years or so. Buy what you think will make you happy for those years and what will be a better deal all things considered. Also, you can get 3 year old 520d's for less than the Superb's cost I believe. Definitely worth looking into if you buy from BMW and get the whole car checked thoroughly. Plus, you might probably save a couple bucks which you could use to add finishing. From what I saw during my search, 2013 and up were 30-35L up and 2012 models were around 5-7L cheaper. That also means you need to consider depreciation if you buy a Suberb or GT3 new ;) Best of luck bud.

Quote:

we zeroed down on the BMW GT 320d Luxury Line and Mercedes Benz C220 Avantgarde. Both these cars were coming to around 45 lakhs on road after discounts.
If you are to be in Driver Seat most of times & love driving look no further than GT 320 , it has a great presence as well.

Quote:

but spending 15 lakhs more on a brand that does not give you the same rear leg and boot space as a 35 lakh car is a bit too much in my opinion
Most of these Germans C Class or 320D will be short on rear space as these are primarily manufactured for driver :) even their bigger cousins don't do justice , 5 series is equally bad like 3, in fact GT rear cabin appears larger then 5.

If only Rear space is your concern then go for Skoda but if its a mix of rear seat and self driving , BMW is the one to go far besides the peace of mind that BSI packages give.

I hope you have gone through this thread already

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-review.html

Lets categorise the cars into 3 parts.
1. If you want to confine yourself to the back seat then the Skoda Superb wins hands down with its large legroom and huge boot.
2. If you want a class leading interior and average rear legroom and acceptable boot space then Mercedes should be your ideal choice.
3.BMW 3 GT fits the bill if you want to quench your thirst for speed along with good rear legroom and a huge boot. BMW's aftersales service is better than Mercedes and Skoda.
Happy Shopping.

Coming from an existing Superb, the C class is just going to feel like a raw deal. For 15 L more, you will get something that is much less spacious.

Ordinarily, I would have recommended the all new Superb but since you already own one, I'm a tad hesitant. Firstly, I do think the 2016 Superb is a lot more car than the existing Superb. Having said that, the GT will not feel a class down and will offer space that is at least somewhat comparable and performance that will stand head and shoulders above the Superb.

My take: If the extra 15L is not too much pinch, go for the GT. Its a fabulous car and will feel that little bit exclusive as well (even among other big 3 Germans). If 15 L is too much stretch, the all new Superb won't disappoint one bit. It is fabulous value.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic (Post 3921107)
We recently attended the launch of the 2016 Skoda Superb and realized that the price for the top of the line L&K variant was 35 lakhs on road. This was a bit of a disappointment for us but we still loved the car. However, we thought to ourselves that if we are going to spend 35 lakhs on a Skoda whose price was veering towards the Merc C Class and BMW 3 Series; should we just look at these brands instead?

I think your dilemma is faced by a number of 2nd-gen Skoda Superb owners. What do they upgrade to? Cars from the big 3 luxury brands are in the same price-range, but the rear seat space is 1/3rd what they've been used to :).

Quote:

On doing our research and negotiations, we zeroed down on the BMW GT 320d Luxury Line and Mercedes Benz C220 Avantgarde. Both these cars were coming to around 45 lakhs on road after discounts.
Whatever way you look at it, the C-Class is overpriced. I've never been a fan of the GT 320d, but I do understand its practicality.

Seems that you are lured by the badge and not much else. If that's the case, I wouldn't suggest either of these cars to you. You are already stretching your budget and remember, maintenance, insurance, repairs etc. will all be more expensive too.

Quote:

The question is which car and is it worth spending a whooping 15 lakhs extra just for the brand?
Simple answer = No. I would consider them to be a downgrade.

If I was in your place, here's what I'd do.

1. New Skoda Superb. We haven't tested it yet, but have heard from fairly reliable sources that it is competent on the road. Along with the Superb, I'd also take a long test-drive in the new Endeavour. It's a lot more luxurious & feature-packed now, and no longer feels like an old utilitarian body-on-frame SUV. Also, the Endeavour will feel a bit 'different' from the LWB sedan that you are already used to.

2. Pre-owned E-Class (5-Series is too cramped for a Superb owner). Very luxurious (much more so than the C-Class). You can get some beautiful in-warranty examples for 35 - 45 in Mumbai. Prices have already started to dip as the next-generation car isn't too far away. Take an extended warranty and you are 100% protected.

I am going a bit against the tide and replacing my Superb with the new X1. I am hoping BMW launches the petrol engines soon as I am more keen to get that than the diesel hence am waiting a few months.

Although the new Superb is great and so was the the second gen Superb when launched, i am done with buying a Skoda. The ownership experience has been crap. Poor reliability and excessive wear and tear overall. Until Skoda launches a service inclusive+warranty package for 5 years I won't come back to the brand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sahil (Post 3922650)
I am going a bit against the tide and replacing my Superb with the new X1. I am hoping BMW launches the petrol engines soon as I am more keen to get that than the diesel hence am waiting a few months.

I LOVED the new X1. It's sad that it's FWD, but hey, I doubt there would be much difference in day to day driving. They have made the X1 into the car we all hoped it would be when it first came out. I would probably pick an X1 over a Superb too. However, I'm certain that a mid spec X1 with a few options will cost above 40L OTR. That is something which makes things difficult. I just wish cars were cheaper here :( Americans get an M5 at around 100,000USD and we don\'t even get a 530d for that much. Of course, I understand why this is being done, but it sucks to be a petrolhead or enthusiast in a place like India.