Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2016, 23:43   #61
BHPian

re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
@ddndrive - Congrats for 320i. That's a lovely car in Alpine White shade.
Did you opt for BSI or Extended Warranty? What is standard warranty on your 320i?
Thanks djay99 . The standard warranty is for 2 Years, unlimited Kms . I have not yet opted for the BSI or extended warranty but I would definitely be going for extended warranty of additional 4 years .
ddndrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 23:24   #62
BHPian

Re: BMW: New X1 or 3-Series? EDIT: Now bought 320i Prestige

Finally there is a test drive review of 320i from Autocar India .

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-402715,0.aspx
Old 14th August 2016, 21:02   #63
BHPian

Hi everyone, I am new to Team-BHP and this is my first post. I too am looking to buy the new BMW X1 xDrive sLine and Bird Automotive in Gurgaon has quoted me Rs. 41.2 lacs (excluding the TCS). The sales executive mentioned that I could potentially get a 1-1.25 lac discount, after which the on road price would be Rs. 39 lacs.

I really like the top of the line M sports edition, but just don't feel it's worth the extra 7 lacs. I think a difference of 3-4 lacs would have been understandable.

On the other hand, I am also very tempted by the X3. Did test drives for both the X1 and X3 and I really like the X3 for the features and it being a proper SUV.

Bird BMW in Gurgaon has a red X3 for sale which is a demo car and has done around 6400 Kms. They are asking 46 lacs for it when a new one is 54 lacs (both ex-showroom). They have agreed to a 5 lac discount on a new one without even me asking. So ex-showroom for a new one would be around 49 lacs (maybe more since I am sure I can get another 1 lac in discount). So the difference between the demo car and new car price would just be 3 lacs.

I am positive that they can offer me the demo car for around 43-44 lacs (2-3 lac discount).

So what I wanted to ask was would it be worth to go from X1 to a demo X3 that has done 6500 Kms and is around 10 lacs more on road?
Old 14th August 2016, 22:34   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohittater View Post
So what I wanted to ask was would it be worth to go from X1 to a demo X3 that has done 6500 Kms and is around 10 lacs more on road?
I would say avoid the demo X3. You wouldn't want a car which a 100 people have driven before you. Also it would have been pushed on most of the test drives. The mechanical wear will be much more than a single/double person driven car at 6.5k kms.

Since it seems the X3 is in your budget, I would say go for the X1 M sport instead. Its fully loaded and has almost as much space as the X3.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 14th August 2016 at 22:48.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 19:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone, I am new to Team-BHP and this is my first post. I too am looking to buy the new BMW X1 xDrive sLine and Bird Automotive in Gurgaon has quoted me Rs. 41.2 lacs (excluding the TCS). The sales executive mentioned that I could potentially get a 1-1.25 lac discount, after which the on road price would be Rs. 39 lacs.

I really like the top of the line M sports edition, but just don't feel it's worth the extra 7 lacs. I think a difference of 3-4 lacs would have been understandable.

On the other hand, I am also very tempted by the X3. Did test drives for both the X1 and X3 and I really like the X3 for the features and it being a proper SUV.

Bird BMW in Gurgaon has a red X3 for sale which is a demo car and has done around 6400 Kms. They are asking 46 lacs for it when a new one is 54 lacs (both ex-showroom). They have agreed to a 5 lac discount on a new one without even me asking. So ex-showroom for a new one would be around 49 lacs (maybe more since I am sure I can get another 1 lac in discount). So the difference between the demo car and new car price would just be 3 lacs.

I am positive that they can offer me the demo car for around 43-44 lacs (2-3 lac discount).

Please avoid demo cars. They are always driven rashly and the wear and tear will be significantly higher than average for the distance covered.

My personal experience was that the discount offered on demo cars did not compensate for the psychological impact of its history 😃

I suggest that you look at the top end X1 or alternatively look at a depreciated but well-used preowned X3 or X5. If you are open to Q7 there are good deals on used cars.

All the best for the search.
Carmageddon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2016, 13:54   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I would say avoid the demo X3. You wouldn't want a car which a 100 people have driven before you. Also it would have been pushed on most of the test drives. The mechanical wear will be much more than a single/double person driven car at 6.5k kms.

Since it seems the X3 is in your budget, I would say go for the X1 M sport instead. Its fully loaded and has almost as much space as the X3.
Thanks for your advice Akshay. I have dropped the idea of a demo X3 and have decided on the X1.

Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience nurni76!

The on road price difference between the sDrive xLine and the M Sport variant is around 7 lakhs (in Gurgaon).

My original budget was 40 lakhs on road but I can stretch it to 45 lakhs and I think I can get the M Sport variant on road for 46 lakhs on road. Whereas the sDrive xLine would be 39 lakhs on road.

Here are the major additional features the M Sport has over the sDrive xLine and my preferences on the same:

-M Sport Pack (nice to have, but don't care much)
-M Sport steering (nice to have, but don't care much)
-Sport seats (would love to have; in mocha brown, which only comes with M Sport)
-iDrive touch controller with bigger 22.3 cm high-res screen and hard drive (Would love to have)
-HUD (nice to have, but don't care much)
-Navigation (would love to have)
-M Sport Alloys (alloys on both variants look equally good to me)

Apart from this, the major difference between the two variants would be AWD on M Sport vs FWD on sDrive xLine. Do you think AWD makes more sense than FWD since on normal roads, even the AWD runs as a FWD (from what I know.)

I don't really care so much for the AWD as I won't be offroading, but would appreciate your input on AWD vs FWD. Thanks!

I currently own a Hyundai Verna SX diesel and have done 38000 Kms on it in the last 3 years since I have owned it. It was my first car and it being a sedan, I wanted to get a crossover and not another sedan. I plan on keeping the Verna along with the X1.

Mods, if you think I have posted in the wrong thread and/or need to start a new thread, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmageddon View Post
Please avoid demo cars. They are always driven rashly and the wear and tear will be significantly higher than average for the distance covered.

My personal experience was that the discount offered on demo cars did not compensate for the psychological impact of its history 😃

I suggest that you look at the top-end X1 or alternatively look at a depreciated but well-used preowned X3 or X5. If you are open to Q7 there are good deals on used cars.

All the best for the search.
Thanks a bunch Carmageddon, appreciate your inputs. Since this is my first luxury car, I have decided I want to go for a new car and not a pre-owned one even though I know it's better to buy a well-maintained used luxury car and let someone else take the depreciation hit.

In fact, I was quite opposed to the idea of buying a new luxury car and was an advocate for buying used, but I guess, this time, the heart ruled over the mind.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st August 2016 at 14:00. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 21st August 2016, 14:44   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for your advice Akshay. I have dropped the idea of a demo X3 and have decided on the X1.

The on road price difference between the sDrive xLine and the M Sport variant is around 7 lakhs (in Gurgaon).

My original budget was 40 lakhs on road but I can stretch it to 45 lakhs and I think I can get the M Sport variant on road for 46 lakhs on road. Whereas the sDrive xLine would be 39 lakhs on road.

Apart from this, the major difference between the two variants would be AWD on M Sport vs FWD on sDrive xLine. Do you think AWD makes more sense than FWD since on normal roads, even the AWD runs as a FWD (from what I know.)

I don't really care so much for the AWD as I won't be offroading, but would appreciate your input on AWD vs FWD. Thanks!

I currently own a Hyundai Verna SX diesel and have done 38000 Kms on it in the last 3 years since I have owned it. It was my first car and it being a sedan, I wanted to get a crossover and not another sedan. I plan on keeping the Verna along with the X1.

Mods, if you think I have posted in the wrong thread and/or need to start a new thread, please let me know.
Trust me, you will not regret buying the M sport, if its not too much of a stretch. The additional features you mentioned, especially the HUD are awesome and once you get used to having them you cannot imagine a car without them.

As for the FWD vs AWD. Part of why you are buying a BMW is driving pleasure. Yes, neither of them are RWD like BMWs are meant to be. But the AWD will still be better to drive and let you enjoy the car more than the FWD. In the FWD even flooring the accelerator a little bit causes a loss of traction and then traction control swings in and the power is cut. With the AWD there is no such thing. Also while taking corners the AWD will provide far better grip.

AWD is another thing which you will not understand what you are missing, until you have it. Also personally I cannot advise anyone to buy a FWD Bimmer

For what its worth, if I were in the market for an X1 (and I might be in a couple of months lol), it is the M sport I would take without a second thought budget permitting.
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:21   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Here are the major additional features the M Sport has over the sDrive xLine and my preferences on the same:
Budget permitting go for the M sport model. If not, you could buy the sDrive and a swift for 46. So its really a matter of your budget, though if it were my choice id choose the M sport. Im a sucker for top end models and id rather have everything possible in my car. All the same, while selling the car I'm not sure any such difference will be present in the resale value. Plus, how often are you gonna buy the X1? Best get everything, it'd feed the kid in you.

I'm sure if you negotiate hard you could get the X1 M sport for a little more discount. Call your SR and tell him you are getting the Q3 for so and so and you are thinking of buying it due to it being cheaper. They'll probably drop a few thousand or more if you are lucky. Also, Insurance, BSI, BRI, extra gadgets and gizmos like the rear screen entertainment. They are all sweetners the SR's can throw if you drive em a hard bargain.

Hope this helps

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 23rd August 2016 at 17:26.
Old 24th August 2016, 09:53   #69
BHPian

If you are going to spend 40-45L on the X1, I would seriously urge you to try the 3-Series GT. Having test driven both the cars I would say that the GT drives better, is more spacious, more refined and almost as much an SUV as the X1 is. Its also a couple of segments higher in the BMW range. I'm sure you can get the GT Sportline for 45L OTR after discounts.
Old 24th August 2016, 12:14   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-cobra View Post
If you are going to spend 40-45L on the X1, I would seriously urge you to try the 3-Series GT. Having test driven both the cars I would say that the GT drives better, is more spacious, more refined and almost as much an SUV as the X1 is. Its also a couple of segments higher in the BMW range. I'm sure you can get the GT Sportline for 45L OTR after discounts.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did test drive the GT as well as the X3. Though I liked the GT, but somehow the X1 appeals more to me. Mostly because it's a very new product and also the elevated seating position. I guess it's also because I currently drive a sedan (Verna SX) and wanted a crossover or SUV.

I thought about waiting for the upcoming Hyundai Tuscon, but I am guessing the top variant won't sell for anything less than 26-27 lakhs OTR. So decided it's better to go for a German for 10-12 lakhs more.

I also test drove the Q3, but somehow, didn't quite like it. It's just a glorified Yeti and the rear is too crammed. The rear space in X1, I must say is quite generous and even more than the GT and RR Evoque. Plus it has a donut tire and 505 liters of boot apart from that.

I will be checking out the GLC today but I think it will be over 50 lakhs OTR and out of my budget. The only other contender I could think of is the new C Class which has me smitten by it's looks. But too bad, it's a sedan :(

So the real question I am struggling with right now is whether I should go for the sDrive or the M Sport X1. It just doesn't feel right by me to pay almost 7 lakhs extra for the M Sport when I can get a Swift/i20 for that amount.

Quote:
Trust me, you will not regret buying the M sport, if its not too much of a stretch. The additional features you mentioned, especially the HUD are awesome and once you get used to having them you cannot imagine a car without them.

As for the FWD vs AWD. Part of why you are buying a BMW is driving pleasure. Yes, neither of them are RWD like BMWs are meant to be. But the AWD will still be better to drive and let you enjoy the car more than the FWD. In the FWD even flooring the accelerator a little bit causes a loss of traction and then traction control swings in and the power is cut. With the AWD there is no such thing. Also while taking corners the AWD will provide far better grip.

AWD is another thing which you will not understand what you are missing, until you have it. Also personally I cannot advise anyone to buy a FWD Bimmer

For what its worth, if I were in the market for an X1 (and I might be in a couple of months lol), it is the M sport I would take without a second thought budget permitting.
Thanks a bunch Akshay. It's a tough call and I still haven't made up my mind. I called all 3 BMW dealerships in the NCR to find out if they can get me the M Sport in Mineral white with Mocha interiors.

Deutsche refused that Mocha is not in production at all. Libra said that there is one that will be rolling out of the factory in the last week of September and Bird said the same thing. I won't be getting any discount if I get this since they are more keen to push the ones they have in stock. And I don't want to wait for over 7-8 weeks to get the delivery.

My one big reason for going for the M Sport was the Mocha interiors and now it seems I can't get that.

So really unsure whether I should go for the M sport or sDrive since I can buy a new Swift/i20 for the difference.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
Budget permitting go for the M sport model. If not, you could buy the sDrive and a swift for 46. So its really a matter of your budget, though if it were my choice id choose the M sport. Im a sucker for top end models and id rather have everything possible in my car. All the same, while selling the car I'm not sure any such difference will be present in the resale value. Plus, how often are you gonna buy the X1? Best get everything, it'd feed the kid in you.

I'm sure if you negotiate hard you could get the X1 M sport for a little more discount. Call your SR and tell him you are getting the Q3 for so and so and you are thinking of buying it due to it being cheaper. They'll probably drop a few thousand or more if you are lucky. Also, Insurance, BSI, BRI, extra gadgets and gizmos like the rear screen entertainment. They are all sweetners the SR's can throw if you drive em a hard bargain.

Hope this helps
Thanks a ton for the suggestion. The only reason I am in two minds about the M Sport is that I could get a Swift for the difference. And at 46-37 lakhs, it's dangerously close to the base X3. I'll try to get accessories and maybe free insurance. But I don't know if dealerships would agree to free insurance.

I plan to upgrade in 2-3 years so I am also worried that the M sport will fetch much premium over the sDrive when I sell it.

Last edited by ajmat : 24th August 2016 at 13:25.
Old 25th August 2016, 16:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I also test drove the Q3, but somehow, didn't quite like it. It's just a glorified Yeti and the rear is too crammed. The rear space in X1, I must say is quite generous and even more than the GT and RR Evoque. Plus it has a donut tire and 505 liters of boot apart from that.
I was in the same position few weeks ago(was confused between 3 sedan and x1) .

I agree that at first glance X1 does tend to overwhelm you with the amount of extra rear space(which actually is not there) , new launch factor and somewhat good looks(subjective) but when you dig deep and come out of that new launch thing and the instant wow/vfm factor and start comparing it one on one , u tend to realize that the car which was looking the best bang for the buck is actually nowhere close to the competition(no offence to the current x1 owners) . lemme clarify it one by one and put pros and cons of X1 below ...

Pros:

Price
Looks(subjective)
Brand Value

Cons :

Small rear seat/bad thigh support
Bumpy ride quality
Gearshifts(ZF shifts are seamless when compared)
Poor plastic quality
High road/tyre noise

I would suggest you drive X1 once again along side Q3 and I am sure you would feel a difference in the gearbox, ride quality , front and rear seat comfort , plastic quality and cabin noise and road noise . Although X1 seems more spacious than Q3 but I found Q3 a much better product overall when compared to X1 .

Also, the charm of driving a RWD Bimmer is nowhere in X1. As someone pointed out earlier that BMW's are and have always been known for their rear wheel drive cars and if I am not wrong this is their first or second attempt as a FWD car in production and I have to say that for me they have failed big time . I simply believe that if you want a FWD car/Suv, go for an Audi or any other brand but not BMW .

If you were not keen on an SUV , I would have eyes closed suggested you to go for the 320i or 320d, simply because of the VFM deals that they are currently .

Last edited by ddndrive : 25th August 2016 at 16:28. Reason: Misread Q3 for X3
Old 25th August 2016, 16:10   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac-cobra View Post
I totally agree, GT is a far better and a class above product than aX1 . The only thing against the GT is its love it or hate it design . If you love it then this is an excellent buy, given the kinda discounts that are going on .

Last edited by ddndrive : 25th August 2016 at 16:13.
Old 26th August 2016, 14:07   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddndrive View Post

I agree that at first glance X1 does tend to overwhelm you with the amount of extra rear space(which actually is not there) , new launch factor and somewhat good looks(subjective) but when you dig deep and come out of that new launch thing and the instant wow/vfm factor and start comparing it one on one , u tend to realize that the car which was looking the best bang for the buck is actually nowhere close to the competition(no offence to the current x1 owners) . lemme clarify it one by one and put pros and cons of X1 below ...

Pros:

Price
Looks(subjective)
Brand Value

Cons :

Bumpy ride quality
Poor plastic quality
High road/tyre noise

I would suggest you drive X1 once again along side Q3 and I am sure you would feel a difference in the gearbox, ride quality , front and rear seat comfort , plastic quality and cabin noise and road noise . Although X1 seems more spacious than Q3 but I found Q3 a much better product overall when compared to X1 .

Also, the charm of driving a RWD Bimmer is nowhere in X1. As someone pointed out earlier that BMW's are and have always been known for their rear wheel drive cars and if I am not wrong this is their first or second attempt as a FWD car in production and I have to say that for me they have failed big time . I simply believe that if you want a FWD car/Suv, go for an Audi or any other brand but not BMW .

If you were not keen on an SUV , I would have eyes closed suggested you to go for the 320i or 320d, simply because of the VFM deals that they are currently .
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I agree to you that Bimmers are meant to be RWD and not FWD but this will be my first luxury car and I think I will be more than happy with what I am getting in the X1.

As for the rear space, it's just me and the wife that will be driving 90% of the times so rear seat comfort is not a big issue. I am buying it for the looks and the brand value.

Have finalized on the sDrive xLine variant and will be booking tomorrow. Didn't want to stretch the budget too much and 7 lakhs more just didn't seem right to pay for the M Sport.

Will keep everyone posted.
Old 26th August 2016, 17:38   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a bunch Akshay. It's a tough call and I still haven't made up my mind. I called all 3 BMW dealerships in the NCR to find out if they can get me the M Sport in Mineral white with Mocha interiors.

Deutsche refused that Mocha is not in production at all. Libra said that there is one that will be rolling out of the factory in the last week of September and Bird said the same thing. I won't be getting any discount if I get this since they are more keen to push the ones they have in stock. And I don't want to wait for over 7-8 weeks to get the delivery.

My one big reason for going for the M Sport was the Mocha interiors and now it seems I can't get that.

So really unsure whether I should go for the M sport or sDrive since I can buy a new Swift/i20 for the difference.
That is sad, but sometimes it does happen that certain colours are produced in different batches depending on CKD kits availability.

I would say still go for the M sport, the extra features are too many to look over. If not then at least take the X drive variant, simply because a FWD BMW is unfathomable.

Do you have a use for another car like a Swift/i20? If not then why think that way. With the same logic you could have 5 of them in the price of your X1
Old 28th August 2016, 12:23   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddndrive View Post

Pros:

Price
Looks(subjective)
Brand Value

Cons :

Bumpy ride quality
Poor plastic quality
High road/tyre noise

Quote:
That is sad, but sometimes it does happen that certain colours are produced in different batches depending on CKD kits availability.

I would say still go for the M sport, the extra features are too many to look over. If not then at least take the X drive variant, simply because a FWD BMW is unfathomable.

Do you have a use for another car like a Swift/i20? If not then why think that way. With the same logic you could have 5 of them in the price of your X1
Thanks again Akshay. I went ahead and finally booked the sDrive xLine. Will be taking delivery on my birthday on September 14.

What tilted my decision in favor of the xLine variant is that the price difference of 7 lakhs between the sLine xDrive and M Sport was too much for me to swallow. And on top of that, the M Sport still didn't have reverse camera, front parking sensors and Mocha interiors that I wanted. Besides, I am looking to buy a hatchback for my wife so I can use the 7 lakhs I saved for that (and/or maybe a Harley for myself )

This is my first luxury car and I will most probably be upgrading in a couple years. And when I go to sell it in 2-3 years, I am sure I would not get much extra for the M Sport over sDrive xLine and moreover, it will be much easier to sell compared to M Sport.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks