Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2016, 07:13   #1
BHPian

1 crore budget - New car dilemma. Germans or the British?

Hello everyone, I am a new member here and I thought I'd kick off my membership with a new thread about a new car purchase I've been pondering over for a few months now. I currently have a BMW X5 (E70), 530d (F10) and a Mercedes A180 petrol in my garage. These cars are driven by only my father and me. I am very keen in exchanging my A class for a different set of wheels. The options so far I've considered are Jaguar XE portfolio, Mercedes C250d, Audi S5 and the Range Rover Evoque.

Jaguar XE Portfolio
Pros
- An absolute stunner
- RWD, delight to throw the rear out
- Petrol

Cons
- Jaguar aftersales, from what I have gathered is terrible
- Literally no backspace legroom, I drive with the space of a 7 footer. Also, climbing out from the rear seat seems like a task and I already own a 530d which has poor legroom
- Resale value would be an absolute joke

Mercedes C250d
Pros
- Mercedes aftersales is much better than that of a Jag
- Interiors feel much more plush than the XE and even the new XF

Cons
- Never been a fan of the C class look
- Engine is not a 3 litre, would have picked the C300 or C43 if available
- Never been a diesel engine fan unless its a 6 cylinder

Audi S5 sportback
Pros
- V6 TFSI
- V6 TFSI again

Cons
- Outdated, the new A5 has been launched internationally though the Sportback is still undergoing some tests
- The centre console is far too small
- Due to update, I doubt the resale value would be good

RR Evoque
Pros
- Best looking car even after half a decade. Every automotive fan I've known wishes the Evoque was in their garage just for the looks

Cons
- Overpriced, comes above 77 lakhs OTR
- 2.2 Litre diesel engine, feels like a commute engine at best

Besides these, I have considered the GLE 450 AMG and Ford Mustang, though I've been told they are sold out for this year so that rules it out. Only proper SUV's that are left for consideration are GLS 350d, XC90 and the Q7.

Rumours and whispers briskly say the XF is launching this month, August 2016. Also, the new E class is due but i doubt it'll come anytime before December this year and the current generation E class is too dated. The A6 with FWD and 2 litre diesel is out of question. Also, I don't wish to buy another BMW, unless its an M.

If the Mustang and GLE 450 were available, I'd have bought one without doubt. I had finalised the Jaguar XE portfolio last week but decided to wait for the XF. If the XF launches in the XF-S avatar, thats my genuine hope but looking unlikely by the day, that would be my choice. The rumours state that the XF is coming only in the XE portfolio derived petrol engine and the Ingenium diesel. I am for sure going to wait for the new XF launch before making my decision.

My budget was initially at 50 lakhs, which per day seem to be getting stretched further and further and is now at 1cr OTR, not a penny over and I only plan on keeping this car for 3 years. So if anyone could help shed some light, that'd be great.

PS- Awesome forum you guys have going on here, everyones doing a splendid job and can't describe my excitement in joining up with the fellow BHPians.

Thanks,

Hammer
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 08:48   #2
BHPian

re: 1 crore budget - New car dilemma. Germans or the British?

Wow, what an amazing place you must be in to be confused with such stunners. If I had the choice I would either pick up the Jaguar XE or wait for the XF. It will offer some pizzaze and stand out from the crowd. Bad resale be damned , we only live once , enjoy the finer things wherever you can.
Thebat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 09:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

1cr and three year projected ownership. Why be bothered about resale value?
What intended use? Three star or Five series statement? Audi does not cut it.
Drive experience? Six cylinders is got to be or a V configuration.
Comfort? SUV style is better
Old 15th August 2016, 09:36   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: 1 crore budget - New car dilemma. Germans or the British?

I suggest you wait

Evaluate the new XF due within a month. Rumour has it Mercedes will be offering the C43 which is supposed to be a very good car. The new E class might have been held up due to the diesel ban. Why not a discounted Audi A8? I dont think these exactly fly out of the showroom

Last edited by ajmat : 15th August 2016 at 14:09.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 13:13   #5
BANNED

Re: 1 crore budget - New car dilemma. Germans or the British?

1. Volvo's NEW S60 Polestar - 350bhp with 500Nm Torque in a petrol !!

OR

2. The relatively saner S60 T6 with 304 Bhp and 440 Nm torque. (AWD comes with 304 and FWD with 306 Bhp)

Whats your excuse?
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 13:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

With a 1cr budget you've got a lot of options. Seems like you want something fun and different.

I'd avoid the Jags, the service just isn't there yet.

There is the Mercedes E400 convertible. V6 supercharged with 330 odd bhp, it looks nice, is quick and will be fun enough.

ORRRR the Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman just launched at 83 odd ex showroom. These won't be the S models, but they are now turbocharged so you can tune it for more power. This is hands down the most fun option.

You also might just be able to get an M4 for 93-95 lacs ex showroom if that interests you.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 15th August 2016 at 15:18.
Akshay1234 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 14:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Beyond the Cayman base model which you can get in your budget, you can also look at the SLC 43 AMG that got launched for 77 ex showroom. Should be a lot of fun and you get more power than the 2 liter Porsche via a proper 3L twin turbo. It will also be more practical compared to the Porsche twins. You also get a electric folding roof which will be fun once in a while.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 15th August 2016 at 14:15.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 15:24   #8
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the quick reply. I should have mentioned earlier, I cannot buy Porsches or convertibles. Too flashy for my liking. What I really wish to know, is Jaguar the cat best left untamed?

Moreover, my best bet seems to be waiting for the XF and praying it comes in any other avatar than 2.2 petrol engines and 2 litre diesel ones. But if thats all there is to it, the S5 looks like a better option. Could get some discount on it due to it being an older model, though I am skeptical about the interior quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
Wow, what an amazing place you must be in to be confused with such stunners. If I had the choice I would either pick up the Jaguar XE or wait for the XF. It will offer some pizzaze and stand out from the crowd. Bad resale be damned , we only live once , enjoy the finer things wherever you can.
That be true, if the old XF was still around in the V8 moniker, that'd been my pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
1cr and three year projected ownership. Why be bothered about resale value?
What intended use? Three star or Five series statement? Audi does not cut it.
Drive experience? Six cylinders is got to be or a V configuration.
Comfort? SUV style is better
Very true, I already have two bimmers and I'm not keen on another one. 640 is going beyond my budget and the M's are in the same bracket. With Merc, only the C class and GLS seem like an option. The S is far too expensive and the GLA, GLC or GLE don't get my motor running. Though honestly I've seen too many C's and it has only lowered my opinion about it.

I honestly don't have a personal preference to a sedan or a SUV. I already have both in the 530 and X5. Then what the 530 lacks in comfort, the chauffeur driven Accord and Innova are more than enough to make up for it. I do like the imposing SUVs, but the GLS seems like a boat with the huge side profile but would score some points for comfort. The X5 i have is in the 5 seat configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I suggest you wait

Evaluate the new XF due within a month. Rumour has it Mercedes will be offering the C43 which is supposed to be a very good car. The new E class might have been held up due to the diesel ban. Why not a discounted Audi A8? I dont think these exactly fly out of the showroom
Yes I did speak to the SR of Mercedes, they guess the C300 cab is launching first. As much as id like a convertible, it is too flashy and would be disapproved by the family and the C43 is due later this year. As for the A8, it crosses my budget like the S class and 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
1. Volvo's NEW S60 Polestar - 350bhp with 500Nm Torque in a petrol !!

OR

2. The relatively saner S60 T6 with 304 Bhp and 440 Nm torque. (AWD comes with 304 and FWD with 306 Bhp)

Whats your excuse?
The closest service centre is 500 kms, and my father has never taken a liking to Volvos. I could have gotten a yes for the new S90, but that again isn't due for another few months. Also, FWD isn't on my list. RWD or AWD, preferably RWD for being able to throw the back out whenever possible but the polestar isn't out yet, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
With a 1cr budget you've got a lot of options. Seems like you want something fun and different.

I'd avoid the Jags, the service just isn't there yet.

There is the Mercedes E400 convertible. V6 supercharged with 330 odd bhp, it looks nice, is quick and will be fun enough.

ORRRR the Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman just launched at 83 odd ex showroom. These won't be the S models, but they are now turbocharged so you can tune it for more power. This is hands down be the most fun option.

You also might just be able to get an M4 for 93-95 lacs ex showroom if that interests you.
Where exactly could I get an M4 for that amount, cause i would walk till there to buy the M4 for that money

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Beyond the Cayman base model which you can get in your budget, you can also look at the SLC 43 AMG that got launched for 77 ex showroom. Should be a lot of fun and you get more power than the 2 liter Porsche via a proper 3L twin turbo. It will also be more practical compared to the Porsche twins. You also get a electric folding roof which will be fun once in a while.
Porsches and convertibles, big NO NO. Though i appreciate the input, they are simply not even being considered.

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 15th August 2016 at 15:54.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 15:29   #9
BHPian

I'd say get the Mustang. It's an icon worth waiting for. Proper American V8 muscle. Unbelievably value for money. Sure it's not perfect, handling ain't exactly at the level of Porsche but like I said it's a Mustang!

You already have luxury cars, why get another one which will be more or less the same? Get the Mustang, rip it for 3 years and upgrade to a supercar. Or maybe not.. Because Mustang will give you thrills which will not let you sell it.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 15:50   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
I'd say get the Mustang. It's an icon worth waiting for. Proper American V8 muscle. Unbelievably value for money. Sure it's not perfect, handling ain't exactly at the level of Porsche but like I said it's a Mustang!
Saw a few this morning at a drive. They look nice, and are unique. But the Mustang just didn't feel that special. I mean the V8 was barely even making noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
Where exactly could I get an M4 for that amount, cause i would walk till there to buy the M4 for that money
Well there are some cars in stock that are going at large discounts. I have sent you an email through your profile.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 15th August 2016 at 15:52.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 16:25   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaguar XE Portfolio
Mercedes C250d
Audi S5 sportback
RR Evoque
hi, welcome to the family, whatever you have mentioned - I see more cons than positives to recommend from any of these. Since you already own 2 BMW's and looks you are satisfied with service etc, why don't you try the new X5. If you have not checked it already, I will suggest you to take a longish drive. Apart from the name, old & new hardly shares anything. I too used to own older X5 and still bought the newer one. Check specifically Carbon Black in M Kit. It does have better appearance, more comfortable seats and some more gizmos including heads up display.

Another option can be GLE - Coupe. They have priced it reasonably well given that it's a CBU. It does come with AMG Kit and can make little sound as well besides this looks imposing and different

Quote:
Getting new one will be difficult in 90ish , the lowest I could negotiate was 1,10 Cr. 3 months ago.

You may also consider some low mileage pre-owned car's in which case you can look 2-3 segment higher cars but I will suggest you to stay with main brands BMW/ Merc/ Audi for relative trouble free ownership. There are few M cars with Mumbai Dealership, completely loaded at competitive prices.

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th August 2016 at 16:34.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 18:04   #12
BANNED

Did you consider the Landcruiser 200?. The new facelift is launched and you can get a V8 diesel as well. Ok it is well beyond your budget.

Last edited by GTO : 16th August 2016 at 12:28. Reason: Strictly no acronyms when referring to cars (e.g. TLC)
Old 15th August 2016, 20:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
Hello everyone, I am a new member here and I thought I'd kick off my membership with a new thread about a new car purchase I've been pondering over for a few months now. I currently have a BMW X5 (E70), 530d (F10) and a Mercedes A180 petrol in my garage. These cars are driven by only my father and me. I am very keen in exchanging my A class for a different set of wheels. The options so far I've considered are Jaguar XE portfolio, Mercedes C250d, Audi S5 and the Range Rover Evoque.
Which car to buy with a budget of 1 crore; it was a hypothetical question that we used to ask in our friends circle. Its still a hypothetical question as far as I am concerned, but happy to provide my inputs if its of any help.

The cars that you have listed are amazing and you have mentioned their pros and cons. But when you are spending a crore why not buy something exclusive.

I will add the following to the list.

1- Jaguar F type
There isn't anything that is as beautiful as the F type when it comes to a coupe. Its claimed to be the best thing that has come out of a Jaguar factory after the E-type. Jags are always considered as a gentleman's car unlike the German or Italian rivals. You can choose from a V6 or a V8 and it sounds amazing. I have to agree I haven't driven it so from a driving experience you may have to either rely on the expert opinions or go to a Dealer and take a test drive.

2- Mercedes G Wagon.
Mother of all SUVs. If you need understatement, there is nothing like a G wagon. Most of the normal road users would consider you as a modified Bolero until they see you speeding away using your mighty AMG tuned engine. I think it costs a little more than your budget, but I am sure the dealers will be happy to negotiate with a serious buyer.

3 - Range Rover Sport.
Purists would love the original Range rover. But this is 1 Cr cheaper and still puts you into an exclusive club. No one would mistake you for a modified Bolero and you will get the best slot in any valet parking.

Again among the 3 listed above, its only the Jaguar F type which is strictly within your budget.

Other cars which are worth looking are Volvo XC90 and Jaguar F-Pace.
rejoycjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 20:30   #14
BHPian

Since you are all over the place with your choice of cars, I am guessing you are looking for a car that is unique and special yet not too impractical and difficult to own. Might I suggest the Audi A7 3.0 TDI. It looks like nothing else on the road and honestly can hold its own against coupes twice its price. Its got a tried and tested 3.0 v6 diesel, so its punchy, quiet, smooth, efficient all at once and I bet resale values wont be all that bad.Its been through a facelift, so I am guessing initial gremlins typical of 1st gen german cars have been sorted out. Its probably easier to service and own as well as I am sure service and warranty packages are available from Audi.

1 crore budget - New car dilemma. Germans or the British?-maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited by nakul0888 : 15th August 2016 at 20:32.
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 21:52   #15
BHPian

Having driven the GLE450 AMG for a long enough time, I would recommend it to you. Fits in your budget, looks very different, has a nice petrol engine, sounds good and has enough space inside. You can try to ask various dealers to get hold of one. I am sure there must be one available considering its not a very exclusive car and is a CBU. So allocations to India wont be less and even production would be high.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks