Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2018, 15:37   #91
dmv
BHPian

Re: Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

Congratulations jumanji !
Wish you many happy miles in the car !!

I'm yet to get mine. Now that you have the car, do let me know if you feel there's something which could have happened better in pre-delivery phase.
Also, please update with pricing if you decide to go with the 3M PPF. I'm considering PPF for mirrors and fenders.
Old 1st March 2018, 20:50   #92
BHPian

@dmv, I didn't do any PDI to be honest. Yet to visit 3M. Might happen in coming weeks.

For some reason i qas thinking that Premium Plus variant supports android maps on mmi, turns out thats not the case. Looking for options to get google maps on mmi. Any help/pointers is appreciated.
Old 6th May 2019, 01:20   #93
BHPian

Which luxury sedan to go for?

I am currently in the market for a new luxury vehicle.

A little intro: We are a family of 4, father (works in Dhaka,so comes to India once in a month or so), mother, elder brother and me. We do not have any drivers and all of our cars are self-driven by us. We bought our first luxury vehicle, The BMW X1 (F48) in 2017, and are looking for a second luxury vehicle, and have our eyes on another car of the luxury segment and are more inclined to the Three Pointed Star.

The choices: We're basically narrowed it down to two choices currently but suggestions are welcome.

1) New C-Class facelift W205 (C220d Progressive)

Pros:

New design - Love the new Bigger Screen with the Interface as compared to the old outdated interface.

Punchy engine - Great Perfomance.

Compact size which makes it more practical to self-drive (which my father seems to believe )

More economical.

Cons:

Cramped on space - 4 Adults is all your gonna fit in the car and the rear passengers may not be the most comfortable if taller people are in the driving seat.

Below-par speakers - My Elder brother and Dad are Major Audiophiles and shared the same opinion on the same.

Rather Dull to look at - Even though I love the baby S class shape and the design language somehow feel the crazy good looks of the old C Class Edition C's Have ruined the new designs for me. The Non Diamond Cut alloys and Rear Lights seem to be a downgrade in looks compared to the Edition C's with the outdated Interiors.

2) New E-Class LWB V213 (E220d)

Pros:

Incomparable luxury - Truly a special place to be in with the amazing Ambient Lighting make it a feel good cabin.

Excellent backseat - Beyond Comparable to any other car we've seen and test driven in the below 70L Segment.

Feels and looks like a baby S Class - Amazing interiors and with the optional Grill makes it look closer to its elder sibling (like a leaner version of it )

Cons:

No drivers to drive us around - I keep thinking that if I were to be driving the E alone i'd constantly find myself staring at those seats and wanting and wishing that I was there instead and not behind the wheel.

Dimension - Added Dimensions due to the extended wheel base might make it a task to take around for the amateur driver of the house (my mother)

Strong Opinions - My Father is on the premonition that The E class is far too long and impractical as a daily driver for a person driving alone.

Suggestions are welcome but also must be noted that the Discounts on the C class are rather less (being a new launch and what not) but the E class having been around a bit tad longer is being offered with some serious Discounts to me via a dealer and the Difference between the 2 cars is coming down to be a mere 8-9 Lakh Rupees. Since the price for a car which is a segment above and feels and looks like the king of the executive sedan segments is just marginally higher I feel it's worth the extra 8-9 L rupees and would be more inclined towards purchasing it despite it's "Driver Driven" Tagline.

Awaiting suggestions as I need to close the deal and dilemma by the end of this month.

TIA
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 08:45   #94
BHPian

Re: Which luxury sedan to go for?

Purely from your shortlist, I think the going for the E will be much better in terms of how much more car you are getting for your money.

Although I would suggest you to check out the Volvo XC60. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 12:01   #95
Senior - BHPian

If your driving is low, I would advise a petrol E LWB, rather than a diesel one.

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.in/pass...re.module.html
Old 7th May 2019, 21:30   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Purely from your shortlist, I think the going for the E will be much better in terms of how much more car you are getting for your money.
Thanks for your inputs, I love the XC 60 but it is a little out of budget and having had SUVs for quite sometime, we are looking to make the move to sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If your driving is low, I would advise a petrol E LWB, rather than a diesel one.
Our running should be around 10k kms a year, what do you suggest then?

Last edited by ampere : 7th May 2019 at 21:59. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 10th May 2019, 10:22   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
Thanks for your inputs, I love the XC 60 but it is a little out of budget and having had SUVs for quite sometime, we are looking to make the move to sedans.

Our running should be around 10k kms a year, what do you suggest then?
At 10k km/year a petrol and diesel will just about even out. Considering that Diesel cars are not allowed for more than 10 years in most states, a petrol is much better proposition. Then the modern Mercedes petrol with turbo has a much better FE compared to older models. SO I would go for the E200 petrol.
Old 11th May 2019, 23:41   #98
BHPian

I'm very close to closing the E220d, am getting a deal of about 59L on road, do let me know if anyone has any inputs on other choices that I should look at.
TIA
Old 14th May 2019, 00:18   #99
BHPian

Quote:
I'm very close to closing the E220d, am getting a deal of about 59L on road, do let me know if anyone has any inputs on other choices that I should look at.
TIA
I believe they are coming up with a more feature rich variant, obviously more expensive, in the next couple of weeks. They should also be coming out with the BS VI option in both the variants from what I've heard. The discounts may substantially reduce after that.

Obviously the discounts are probably due to this. In any case, it looks like a very good deal. Here in Mumbai, they aren't really going below 64 OTR.
andyb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 17:05   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
I believe they are coming up with a more feature rich variant, obviously more expensive, in the next couple of weeks. They should also be coming out with the BS VI option in both the variants from what I've heard. The discounts may substantially reduce after that.

Obviously the discounts are probably due to this. In any case, it looks like a very good deal. Here in Mumbai, they aren't really going below 64 OTR.

I did not know about that, certainly a BS VI compliant engine is better than a 5L rupee discount. I shall look further into this, Thanks for the help.
Old 14th May 2019, 17:50   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which luxury sedan to go for?

Quote:
Awaiting suggestions as I need to close the deal and dilemma by the end of this month.

TIA
If you are happy with BMW, why not look at the 530i?
It is that much bigger than the C Class, that much smaller than the E Class (My dad also thinks alike - we've had the E, then the 5, and now the A6 - with the 6GT as a contender for an upgrade as there is no way he will buy a 7 due to budget and size issues).
Plus, the 30i engine is brilliant as well and with the right trim and interior selection, it will feel a little more special than Mercedes and it's trademark beige/black interior.
Great deals will be available too!

Also, since you guys are moving to a sedan from a SUV stable, have a look at the 6GT too. With the air suspension, wheelbase that is similar to a regular 7 series, and punchy engine options - it could be a great all rounder. Only issue is that the looks are subjective.

If none of the above work - the E Class would be my pick. The A6 is too dated and the new one doesn't seem to excel in any particular area (E will still be the best back seat around, the 5 will still be a hoot to drive), the S90 too has been around a while and I am not particularly excited by it.
Last option could be the XF which is a hoot to drive, but reliability and service are a big question mark.
Old 15th May 2019, 15:24   #102
BHPian

Quote:
I did not know about that, certainly a BS VI compliant engine is better than a 5L rupee discount. I shall look further into this, Thanks for the help.
So essentially they will have two variants. The expression which would be comparable to your current buy, but with the BS VI engine and some minor interior upgrades. You should get this car close to the price you're being offered currently give and take a lac. MB will reduce the ex showroom price but also the discounts will reduce.

Then they will have an exclusive variant. Which will have the dual digital screen, the burmester sound system and a small digital screen in the rear center armrest to control the music system, sun roof etc and wireless charging. BS VI again. This should increase your OTR by about 4 lacs I think.

Wait for a few days. See both these variants then make your decision. It's only a week away.

Also with regards to the sheer size when you would be driving it, as long as you're not looking at spirited driving ( because then you should definitely look at the 5 here), you won't regret it. The car doesn't feel overly large to drive at all.

Also definitely more car per car than the C /3 as some one put it.

Decide well
Old 5th November 2019, 17:04   #103
BHPian

I am in market for a car with a budget of 40-42 Lakhs OTR in Bangalore. I am looking at A4, C Class and 3 Series (previous gen if available). I am interested in a petrol vehicle. Is anyone aware of any ongoing discounts on any of the above that will bring the vehicles in my budget?
Old 5th November 2019, 17:15   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
I am in market for a car with a budget of 40-42 Lakhs OTR in Bangalore. I am looking at A4, C Class and 3 Series (previous gen if available). I am interested in a petrol vehicle. Is anyone aware of any ongoing discounts on any of the above that will bring the vehicles in my budget?
The G20 3 series would be out of budget as its a new launch with little discounts.
The C Class however may just fall into the budget for the base trim.

The A4 however has hefty discounts, as does the 3GT - both of these would also be great chauffeur driven vehicles, whereas I would pick the C if I drive myself (nicer interior ambience + RWD + Stiffer suspension).
Ideally the G20 3 series would be the self driving pick if you can increase your budget / wait for the discounts to start in Jan/Feb 2020.

I wouldn't suggest the F30 3 series as it has begun to feel dated and doesn't offer any real USP barring the engine - the suspension being a little too soft for proper spirited driving on our roads.

IMO The 3 GT still makes sense for the chauffeur driven due to it's better ground clearance & rear seat space, and the A4 if you will see a mix of sedentary self driving & being driven around (comfortable, light steering, adequate power, young interiors).
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 17:43   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The G20 3 series would be out of budget as its a new launch with little discounts.
The C Class however may just fall into the budget for the base trim.

The A4 however has hefty discounts, as does the 3GT - both of these would also be great chauffeur driven vehicles, whereas I would pick the C if I drive myself (nicer interior ambience + RWD + Stiffer suspension).

IMO The 3 GT still makes sense for the chauffeur driven due to it's better ground clearance & rear seat space, and the A4 if you will see a mix of sedentary self driving & being driven around (comfortable, light steering, adequate power, young interiors).
My wife is keen on C class due to Merc's aspirational value but I am keen on the BMW. It moves out of equation as no petrol vehicle will fit in my budget. Even with discounts the 3GT will be much above my budget. Btw what is the discounts on these cars if anyone is aware?

A4 would be a compromise for both but still keen to look at if great discounts are available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks