Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2019, 18:08   #106
Distinguished - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 5,381
Thanked: 3,121 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
My wife is keen on C class due to Merc's aspirational value but I am keen on the BMW. It moves out of equation as no petrol vehicle will fit in my budget. Even with discounts the 3GT will be much above my budget. Btw what is the discounts on these cars if anyone is aware?

A4 would be a compromise for both but still keen to look at if great discounts are available.
The base Merc C200 Prime may just fit into the budget or come close to it after discounts. Not sure of the current discounts however.

The 3GT will be priced slightly higher than the base C200 Prime, but discounts should be in the region of 8-10 Lakhs.

A4 too had some massive discounts on offer last I checked.

Have you looked at the X1 (up to 10L off apparently - a BMW that can tackle Bangalore roads), and Jaguar XE (a brilliant driver's car).
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 20:31   #107
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Have you looked at the X1 (up to 10L off apparently - a BMW that can tackle Bangalore roads), and Jaguar XE (a brilliant driver's car).
Wife and I both don't like the looks of X1. We want a sedan. Ruling out XE due to low GC and high maintenance. Thanks for your suggestions though
FamilyTraveller is offline  
Old 12th August 2020, 07:13   #108
BHPian
 
amitverma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 376
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Mini vs Mercedes C vs BMW 3

My initial plans were to get the 530i M, but got derailed, partly because of the pandemic and later with the introduction of the LCI. I find the facelift too pretty to get the current model and have decided to wait another 6-10 months for the LCI to land in India.

The only problem is my current daily driver (Civic 160k on the odo) needs to go get a fix up and I need something fresh.

With that in mind I started my search, initially looking at newer pseudo SUVs (not a fan of SUVs but kinda do want one).
1. Like Seltos (yet to TD)
2. Karoq - drove it last weekend and liked it. Just dont think its worth 28 lacs on road.
3. Fortuner/Endeavour - Not a fan. Too huge.

While realising this might cost me 20-25 big ones, I began wondering if I should get a used 3/C/Mini which might help me get a taste of the germans and let me cool off for 6-12 months, right around the time the discounts on the LCI start rolling in.

The dilemma is:
1. the 3 is sporty and fun, but the interiors are no match to the C. the C feels premium inside out. No comparison. But drives like a boat. better than E for sure, but still no match for the 3.
2. Mini Cooper S - love the car, but I don't see any petrols available online at least. Any pointers are welcome.

Is there any other source of used cars other than carwale/olx etc? I'd love to get one straight from the owner instead of the dealers but I dont see any ads by owners themselves.

Any pointers for examples of 3/C/Mini are welcome. Other suggestions are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.
amitverma is offline  
Old 12th August 2020, 23:37   #109
BHPian
 
AnInternetUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 137
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Mini vs Mercedes C vs BMW 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
I began wondering if I should get a used 3/C/Mini which might help me get a taste of the germans and let me cool off for 6-12 months, right around the time the discounts on the LCI start rolling in.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand, you are looking at purchasing an LCI once discounts on them start.

If that's the case, buying any car will probably end up costing you a fair bit. I'm not sure about the discounts timeline for the premium brands, but I assume that we're probably looking at 12-18 mos. Let's say you purchase a Seltos or equivalent today for around 20L. In 18 months, I assume you'd get 15 or so lakhs (based on the listings I found online for one year old cars). If you go for a used 3/C/Mini you're probably looking at similar figures too unless you can snag a great deal.

In other words, you're spending a sizeable amount of money to cool off.

Keeping that in mind, I'd personally look at used Citys or equivalent cars. Something that's fairly inexpensive to begin with. If the Civic can last me a bit longer, nothing like it. This will help me limit the initial capital outlay + most likely reduce the depreciation hit by a fair amount.

Of course, if you're looking at retaining the new car after your LCI purchase, it's a different scenario all together. In which case, I'd pick the Seltos because I wouldn't want my only two cars to be Germans :P

I understand that my response doesn't really talk about choosing between a 3/C/Mini, but I just thought I'd share this POV here as well. If you're waiting for discounts, it'd be counter-intuitive to pay for the wait.

Though if I absolutely had to pick one for short-term use and it was going to be my only car, I'd most definitely go with the BMW 3-Series. The Seltos might offer better reliability and might even be a great car all-around, but a BMW is a BMW. And if you can get a good example, you might not have to worry about reliability that much.
AnInternetUser is offline  
Old 14th August 2020, 23:08   #110
BHPian
 
amitverma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 376
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Mini vs Mercedes C vs BMW 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnInternetUser View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand, you are looking at purchasing an LCI once discounts on them start.

If that's the case, buying any car will probably end up costing you a fair bit. I'm not sure about the discounts timeline for the premium brands, but I assume that we're probably looking at 12-18 mos. Let's say you purchase a Seltos or equivalent today for around 20L. In 18 months, I assume you'd get 15 or so lakhs (based on the listings I found online for one year old cars). If you go for a used 3/C/Mini you're probably looking at similar figures too unless you can snag a great deal.
Of course what you're saying definitely makes sense. Its a battle of the head vs heart, and I'm not sure the head will win this time around. I've been trying to get the 5er for more or less an year now and everytime something or the other derailed the process. Now looking at the LCI, I know I don't want to end up with the current gen G30. The new one is smashing.

So it's currently a battle of a lot different cars (used) - Mini Cooper vs 320d M vs C-Class vs XC40 vs S90. I'm not too keen on the S90 since I dont want to not get the 5er next year. But the S90 I saw is an Inscription and under warranty. So never say never. The XC 40 is also under warranty but is a CH number so I'm a bit reluctant. Anyone faced any issues driving a CH number in Delhi? Also what would be a good price for a used 2018 Momentum?
amitverma is offline  
Old 15th August 2020, 04:06   #111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Gurugram.
Posts: 113
Thanked: 137 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
. Anyone faced any issues driving a CH number in Delhi?

My neighbour has been driving an Audi A4 which is CH registered for about 8 years in Delhi and has faced no issues at all.
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 06:24   #112
BHPian
 
amitverma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 376
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
My neighbour has been driving an Audi A4 which is CH registered for about 8 years in Delhi and has faced no issues at all.
Thanks aman-bh!! Appreciate that
amitverma is offline  
Old 25th August 2020, 17:42   #113
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Rajkot, Gujarat
Posts: 5
Thanked: Once
Default 320d Luxury Line or C220d Progressive

Hi all!

First of all, thank you very much for allowing me to join Team-BHP! This is my first post, so I would like to give a little background. I am from Rajkot, Gujarat, and my family and I currently drive a Toyota Innova and a BMW X5 (F15). We used to also own a last generation Hyundai Verna and Suzuki Swift, but sold them both last year. We tend to travel a lot due to work, mostly to smaller towns and villages, plus a good amount of city driving for the days we are in town. We are planning to purchase two new vehicles this December, one of which is planned to be a luxury sedan, and the second one would be a smaller car. Foresee both being used mostly in the city and occasionally for intercity commute. I would like to request the advice of fellow BHPians in my decision for the luxury sedan in this post.

What I am looking for in the sedan:
- Planning on using the car mainly in the city, so looking for a nimble, comfortable and frugal car.
- I would give high weightage to reliability and peace of mind, so have preference for the car that has a better reliability record. It would also be beneficial if issues are addressed more quickly by the dealer/company.
- Driver biased nature of a car is definitely a plus but I am not giving it too much weightage.
- Will often be driving around my parents and grand mother so ease of getting in and out, and rear seat comfort would also be a plus (though this will likely be for shorter trips within city).

Options Considered:
We are currently eyeing BMW 320d in luxury line and Mercedes C220d in Progressive trim. I am also looking forward to checking out the face lifted Audi A4 when it comes out in the coming months, but not considering it as of now.

Other Cars we had considered (with reasons for removal from the finale):
- BMW 5 Series (loved the car but out of our budget, not too nimble for city use, and highest chance of scraping the bottom amongst all cars considered)
- Skoda Superb (liked the car but the dealer was not at all responsive during sales, can't imagine how the experience would be during ownership)
- Jaguar XE (the build quality, fit and finish was not upto the mark in my opinion, backseat was not at all comfortable, plus there is no brick and mortar service centre in my city (they do bring a service van every week though))
- Audi A6 (loved the car but have to go with the lowest trim to fit in my budget, not as nimble for city driving, plus the touch screen interface is very distracting while on the the move)


My Thoughts:
Having test driven both 320d and C220d, here are my thoughts:

BMW 320d Luxury Line:
Pros:
- Comfortable ride
- Seemed to have a very good build and overall material quality
- Refined and frugal engine
- BMW has great service and maintenance plans
- Good list of features
- Very clean and timeless interior design in my opinion
- Already own a BMW so feels like home
- After sales service of the current BMW dealer in my city is very good
- Have had a good reliability experience with X5 (despite having been in 2 major accidents)
- Not many new generation 3 Series in the city yet

Cons:
- AC has a more diffused flow so not the best for our conditions
- Small boot due to the spare wheel casing
- Already own a BMW so won't get that big of a change in experience
- Seats are not perforated
- I just can't unfeel the cheap material used on the pillars of the car
- No sunblind for the rear windshield

Mercedes-Benz C220d Progressive
Pros:
- Timeless exterior design
- Perforated seats
- I think it's more nimble of the two and has a better ground clearance
- Rear sunblind
- Would give us a different ownership experience since we already have a BMW
- Stepping inside it gives a more special feeling than the 320d
- Although I haven't owned a Mercedes, dealership experience of friends and colleagues have been good in my city
- Quiet a few C Classes in the city so dealer more likely to maintain a healthy inventory of spare parts
- As this model has been around for some time now it is likely to be the most loaded specwise right now

Cons:
- From my research overall it seems more costlier to maintain and run
- Squeaky brakes (have also read at many places including Team-BHP posts that brake pads wear out very quickly)
- Harsher ride quality
- Boot size is pretty small considering the strapped spare
- I think it is the less reliable of the two
- Rear bench is not as comfortable as 3 series
- Quiet a few C Classes in the city
- It is likely to be replaced soon with an all new model

So in conclusion both cars are bringing something different to the table, hence the confusion. I would greatly appreciate any help from my fellow BHPians.

Thanks a lot in advance!
kishankotecha is offline  
Old 26th August 2020, 05:31   #114
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 5,910
Thanked: 7,644 Times
Default Re: 320d Luxury Line or C220d Progressive

I would suggest the BMW. The C does look elegant outside, but I feel the interiors look extremely dated with that floating tablet, especially when compared with the newer Mercedes models, starting from A Class. Even the face-lifted E gets the new MBUX system.

Since you already have a BMW at home and this new car is for city commute, maybe good to look at the upcoming A-Class sedan as well.
vb-san is offline  
Old 26th August 2020, 06:54   #115
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 678
Thanked: 1,885 Times
Default Re: 320d Luxury Line or C220d Progressive

Since reliability was mentioned, do you want to try the Lexus ES 300h? Maybe a bit pricey but Toyota like reliability!

Being a hybrid and petrol, city commutes will be smooth and silent.

You may have to drive and see whether it is nimble enough or not.
Turbohead is online now  
Old 26th August 2020, 12:32   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Rnc, Hyd, Del
Posts: 220
Thanked: 628 Times
Default Re: 320d Luxury Line or C220d Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Perhaps you can consider an Audi A4?
Audi A4 is not available in India right now. Audi range starts from an A6 (https://www.audi.in/in/web/en.html).

I'll suggest going for the BMW because of better overall experience. You have a X5, however, a sedan will bring something new to the table in terms of driving dynamics.
Amit_breakfree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 12:43   #117
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 385
Thanked: 927 Times
Default Re: 320d Luxury Line or C220d Progressive

Any reason for not considering the Camry Hybrid. I think it would satisfy most of your criteria's.

Between the 320d and C220d I would suggest going for the 320d just because of it being the newer generation car between the two.

You could also look at the 530i Sportline with discounts maybe it comes in your budget or you can wait till the facelift is launched and at that time the discounts would be higher on the current one.
sv97 is online now  
Old 26th August 2020, 19:52   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,549
Thanked: 5,794 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

Why not the end of line 330i GT? Luxurious, excellent back seat and pliant ride and bulletproof.
itwasntme is online now  
Old 27th August 2020, 19:44   #119
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Rajkot, Gujarat
Posts: 5
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I would suggest the BMW. The C does look elegant outside, but I feel the interiors look extremely dated with that floating tablet, especially when compared with the newer Mercedes models, starting from A Class. Even the face-lifted E gets the new MBUX system.

Since you already have a BMW at home and this new car is for city commute, maybe good to look at the upcoming A-Class sedan as well.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion vb-san, will definitely consider it. Had thought of A-class earlier as well, but just a little skeptical on the rear bench space. Still, am looking forward to test driving it when it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Since reliability was mentioned, do you want to try the Lexus ES 300h? Maybe a bit pricey but Toyota like reliability!

Being a hybrid and petrol, city commutes will be smooth and silent.

You may have to drive and see whether it is nimble enough or not.
I was really looking forward to test driving the ES 300h, but unfortunately they don't have any sales or service support in Gujarat yet from what I know. Plus, it will be way over my budget. Reliability and mileage would definitely be a huge plus though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Any reason for not considering the Camry Hybrid. I think it would satisfy most of your criteria's.

Between the 320d and C220d I would suggest going for the 320d just because of it being the newer generation car between the two.

You could also look at the 530i Sportline with discounts maybe it comes in your budget or you can wait till the facelift is launched and at that time the discounts would be higher on the current one.
I had test driven the Camry earlier (BS-IV variant), was really impressed by the refinement and ride. But from what I have heard, current BS-VI prices for Camry are extremely high. I haven't actually inquired, but I heard this from many people. About 5 series, I personally love the car but as I said, think it's a little big for city commute. Also, I plan on getting the car just before my marriage (Yay!) in December, which is still some time to the facelift launch. I am hopeful though, and if I get a really good offer, I plan on going for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Why not the end of line 330i GT? Luxurious, excellent back seat and pliant ride and bulletproof.
I don't think they have the new generation 3 series in GT line yet. Local dealer is selling a couple last generation pieces at very good price, but I am not too keen on getting a last generation piece right now. Thanks a lot for your suggestion though

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 27th August 2020 at 22:58. Reason: removing extra space
kishankotecha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 19:57   #120
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 385
Thanked: 927 Times
Default Re: Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishankotecha View Post
I had test driven the Camry earlier (BS-IV variant), was really impressed by the refinement and ride. But from what I have heard, current BS-VI prices for Camry are extremely high. I haven't actually inquired, but I heard this from many people.
The prices are equivalent to what you would pay for the c220d or 320d after discounts just like earlier times. But at the same time if you find the 5 series a little big same might be the case with the camry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishankotecha View Post
About 5 series, I personally love the car but as I said, think it's a little big for city commute. Also, I plan on getting the car just before my marriage (Yay!) in December, which is still some time to the facelift launch. I am hopeful though, and if I get a really good offer, I plan on going for it.
I think you should wait and you won't be disappointed.
sv97 is online now   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks