Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2016, 08:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

Did some test drives over the week and am now all confused. Honestly there is hardly anything to choose from between the 3 cars here.

The BMW 320d Luxury Line.
For
Punchy engine.
Awesome gearbox.
Better ride and handling
Better legroom and seats at the rear.

Against
Dated looks especially the interior
Low seating. My mum would really struggle to get in and out.
Nosier engine.
Equipment levels. No reverse camera.😡

Merc C220/250 D (Avantgarde)

For
Good looks all around.
Interior is just awesome. Has a touch of class.
Quieter engine in the 220. Found the 250 a little noisy.
Equipment list is long. Sat nav, parktronic , panoramic sunroof , attention alert. Agility control and yes has a reverse camera.
7 speed gear box isn't all that bad.
In addition the C250 gets
204 BHP and 500 nm torque. It's really quick and punchy.
A 9 speed gear box.
Intelligent adaptive headlights
Ambient lighting
Not a bad handler, though not in the BMW class.

Against.
Poor rear bench. The under thigh support is clearly not enough.
Head room at the rear.
Spare wheel or luggage in the boot is the choice to make on long trips.
Nosier engine on the C250 D

So guys pls send in your inputs to help me decide. The cars are all priced within a lakh or 2 of each other post discounts.
The car will be mainly driven by me and will be used probably equally for the city and the highways. Safety wise both the Merc and BMW are on par with the full safety kit.
Alternative due you suggest that I wait for the A4 2 litre diesel which is due sometime next year.

Your suggestions will be much appreciated

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 30th September 2016 at 08:16.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 09:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

If you are looking at the C250d, why aren't you considering the 320d M sport? Its got a few added features which are useful like the HUD.

In terms of driving you said it yourself, the 3 is better even though the c250d has more punch.

What discounts are being offered on the c250d?
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 09:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Like you mentioned, both are good cars and t's just a matter of what you expect from your car. My comments are general BMW vs Mercedes and not specific to 3/C.

If you are not 'blown away' by how 320d drives, then C class would be a better choice as it feels a bit more special.

Bangalore has plenty of slow moving traffic and tons of speed breakers. C has a good combination of AT and brakes for smooth stop and take off. 320d gearbox always 'launches' and brakes always 'bite' - good for enthusiastic driving but tiresome in a crawling traffic.

I like the ergonomics of Mercedes controls. I have kids (hyper ones) and I like the fact that kids don't have access to gear-level, parking switch, start-stop button, etc. in a Mercedes.

I am not impressed by Navnit motors (Bangalore) both during purchase and service experience, parts availability, etc. Till recently they had service centre near ECity (which was far for me) but I heard they opened an additional facility on Airport road.

Very happy with Sundaram Motors on all parameters. No experience with Akshay motors but in general it is better without monopoly.

BMW is so much better to drive (#1 by a huge margin), feels much more tank-like (perceived safety) and well engineered (no rattles, built to last) and relatively cheaper to maintain.
androdev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 09:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes C220/250d vs BMW 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
If you are looking at the C250d, why aren't you considering the 320d M sport? Its got a few added features which are useful like the HUD.

In terms of driving you said it yourself, the 3 is better even though the c250d has more punch.

What discounts are being offered on the c250d?

Thanks for sending in your bit.
C250 d is currently available at around 4 lakhs off on the ex showroom price. But haven't seriously negotiated as yet. Should be able to squeeze out a lot more with cheque book in hand.
Will look at the M sport as well. The overall package and the balance between good looks, better interiors and equipment with about 90% of the handling of the BMW is surely tilting the battle towards the C250.
Like Androdev stated the Merc may probably be better to live with in Bangalore's notorious stop and go traffic.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 09:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Did some test drives over the week and am now all confused. Honestly there is hardly anything to choose from between the 3 cars here.

So guys pls send in your inputs to help me decide. The cars are all priced within a lakh or 2 of each other post discounts.
The car will be[b] mainly driven by me and will be used probably equally for the city and the highways. Safety wise both the Merc and BMW are on par with the full safety kit.
I dont own any of them, however i have driven both of them. As they say "If you want to drive 100 miles, buy a merc and if you want to drive a100 miles per hour buy a bmw."

Considering you will be the one driving most of the time, i would suggest a 3 series.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 16:34   #6
BHPian

Hey! That's some dilemma to be in. I've been considering a 3 series or an X1 for a while now, and although that's a different problem, I have extensively driven both the 3 and the C to offer my opinion here.

The C220 is fast (in fact, I don't see the need for the 250 - but then, no amount of power is ever enough!). From a pure power / acceleration perspective, both the 220 and the 320 seem fairly equivalent, though the 320 feels way more eager than the C - the C feels more mature and torquey but less jumpy.

Rear seat - Agreed. The 3 feels more spacious, and overall a brighter place to be in. Materials - Mercedes all the way - newer, sexier, and way more classy.

If I were you, I'd pick the 320. I know it's dated now, and doesn't feel as special as the C, but there's something about that old school, aggressive arrow shape, and the direct, crazy handling that the C will never give you. The C is like a rare wine while the 3 gives you a wild rush - take your pick.

I loved the C - I always have (both the W204 and the W205). Five years ago, I would've picked a 204 over an E90 3 series any day - space, comfort, ride, materials, looks - they all favored the C, and I'm admittedly a Mercedes enthusiast - but the F30 changed it all. And as pretty as the 205 looks, give me the BMW any day to drive.

Happy motoring!
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 19:00   #7
BHPian

Three years ago I was in a similar fix. Finally went ahead with 320d Sportline and for following reasons:

1. Driving pleasure (FTD factor)
2. Rear seats and the overall space
3. RFTs (yes, I feel safer with these over normal tubeless)
4. iDrive over the Command system
5. Sports seats
6. The option of BSI (Eventually I ended up not buying it)

After three years of ownership I wish following things could be better:

1. Engine noise
2. Gearbox is always in launch mode which could be tiring in city traffic
3. Navigation (I heard that now it is there in Sportline)
4. Interiors material quality could be better
5. Front cup-holders design is senseless

In your case, I feel 320d MSport would be a good choice as it will be self-driven. Rears are not easy to get in and get out for older people but they are super comfortable.

I would suggest to go for Sportline rather than Luxuryline if you decide to go with the Bimmer.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!
the_skyliner is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 20:04   #8
BHPian

Quote:

As many others have mentioned, its important to understand these two are very different cars. This has been extensively discussed in other threads. You should take a read on the "What Car" section under the "Luxury, Imports & Niche" line side. None of the threads are started with the intention of pitting the 3 against the C, but a few pages in the arguments reaches that point. In fact, in the 3 of the top 4 including this thread has the 3-Series pitted against the C-class somewhere or the other. So next time read ahead, it'll help save a lot of your time.

But coming to the issue at hand once again. The 3 vs C vs A4 will go on forever. These cars are sold a lot due to low price in comparison to the bigger siblings and also cause these are pure sedans where the driver gets the most feedback. So, the 3 is the most fun i feel to drive, as does just about everyone else. Its much more engaging. ZF unit is THE best in the business. If it aint the best, its in contention to be right up there with anything else. I found the 7G tronic box a little slow on them old Mercs, but the 9 speed is worth the noise. Its definitely better than the old 7G box. Looks of the cars, highly subjective. I think 3 looks better than the C and you don't, which is fair. Subjective. The engine, the C250d has a better engine on paper. But if you go from 0-100, the difference is within a second or two and only after the 100kmph mark will the C250d start pulling away significantly by 2-3 car lengths. Ive never seen a proper drag race between 320d vs C250d, but that is how i feel.

But i think the deciding factor is what you want from your car. Since you said your mom will find the ingress and egress hard in the 3, id say drop the idea of the 3. Unless your mom will only sit in this car very rarely. In that case, it shouldnt be a major issue. But if your mom will travel once or twice a weak, choose the C class since it has better seating for the rear passengers. Also what does your father, or siblings or uncles or aunties have to say who'll potentially be sitting in this car or driving it. All this matters, if an older person finds difficulty in the 3 and is comfortable with the C, then C it is. But if it is 80-90% of the time just you on your own choose the 3.

But personally speaking, i can't even think of buying the 3 without a rear view camera. I don't get how can a car worth 40 lakhs and more not have rear view camera. So BMW think the HUD is more important in our country than the camera? How, why, who and when was this decision made. These questions confuse me. But if it aint much of a problem for you, then your call. Interiors are once again, subjective. Safety wise, top notch both. Service wise, top notch again for both. Though i think BMW has a more extensive plan. Do check with the SR's.

Don't look for the C220d, the C250d is better. Plus there aint much of a difference in the price. So picking from between the C250d and 320 M sport. Best buy top model with all the gizmos if you can afford it. You'll keep this car for what, 3 odd years minimum. So best if you don't lose out on smaller things in life.

As for Audi, it is slowly being discredited by every enthusiast due to its mediocre engine and FWD setup. But I've said this before, a FWD car aint all that bad. Unless you plan to stunt in your prospective car, the Audi could give another headache. Though TD them all, and make your decision. If it aint strictly sedan, then buy the X1. I think the new X1 trumps all these cars. Though once again, this car has no rear view camera. But thank god, it has the HUD. BMW hierarchy are very smart people. It'll help immensely when parking. If its only sedan, then the C for me cause of your folks who may ride along.

If the 3GT appeals to you, its a great car with an abundance of space out back. Definitely worth a consideration. Also, the 520d may come in your budget. Check it out. Poor backspace though. Also, check karan651's SWOT analysis of the 3 LCI version. He did a video review and covered most the details. Worth a watch.

Happy hunting

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 30th September 2016 at 20:10.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 21:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

2016 Mercedes C-Class vs BMW 3-Series

The 0-100 drag is pretty useless In a real world scenario. The 20-80 and the 40-100 is more likely to get your vote. Thank you Mijnourhammer67( hope I got it right.)😂 for the exhaustive feed back. The clincher like you nailed it probably is the older folk. I am looking for the right balance so that everyone would enjoy the car.
Spot on, the reverse camera. That's something probably I can't live without in Bangalore's chaotic parking spaces. The Merc comes with Partronic. I will be out of the country for a couple of weeks and it will be decision time once I am back.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 30th September 2016 at 21:48.
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:25   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Mijnourhammer67( hope I got it right.)
Its actually Mijnoirhammer67! (Sorry I couldn't resist that correction. Tongue in cheek intended).

I agree with what Mijnoirhammer67 mentioned. The 3 gives a truck load of driving pleasure though, but the C feels special from a "Luxe Feel" perspective! A good dilemma to be in IMHO! All the best!
TheBigH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:14   #11

Suggest you also have a look at the E-class. With the new E-class coming in, the older generation E-Class is available at good discounts. The ex-showroom price of an E Class Edition E was only around 2-3L higher than the C-class, in June. So you should be able to get a pretty good deal now. Do give it a thought.
MikeRX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 18:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
The car will be mainly driven by me and will be used probably equally for the city and the highways. Safety wise both the Merc and BMW are on par with the full safety kit.
Alternative due you suggest that I wait for the A4 2 litre diesel which is due sometime next year.

Exactly 60 days ago, I was in the same dilemma.
Couldn't convince myself on which way to go and took multiple TDs of both cars, pushed them a bit and these are my findings:
1. On the Beamer, gear shifts are more pronounced. You can tell when it is moving from one gear to the next. The DSG on Merc was a lot more smoother.
2. Merc comes with paddle shifters and Cruise control. I think Cruise control is missing on the Beamer and trust me, it comes handy on long highway drives.
3. Missing rearview camera is a BIG no for me. I have a fortuner and got used to the cam. Now, sitting low and not having the cam is a double whammy for me.
4. Interiors make the Merc look like its worth the price. Beamer leaves a lot to expect, in this department.
5. The LED intelligent lighting system is really awesome. Its too complicated to explain. Just leave it switched on and see the magic unfold in front of your eyes.
6. The different drive modes in the Merc make their presence felt. Sport+ makes the engine roar. it will be jumping out of its skinn to GO.
7. The additional 25 ponies [205 BHP] makes it worth the buck.

And yes, I brought home my Merc C250D. Covered close to 4000KM in the last 50 days and I am more than happy with my decision.
FORTified is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 20:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Arjun.
Guess we all know what position you are in at the moment, and it surely is a big dilemma with so many options.

Simply put, the BMW 3 series (LCI, M-Sport) is best for high spirited driving and if you would be using it more for long drives, open roads and so on.

The Mercedes C Class (220 or the 250) has the better looking interior when compared to the 3, of course, and as others have said too, makes a better point if the car will be driven much in the city and at traffic times. Take my word, the 3 series is an amazing car in every way but you need a real light foot to not make it launch each time you cross a speed breaker. This is a point many people consider since city driving equates to traffic usually.

And last but definitely not the least, the underdog, the Audi A4. It really makes sense to wait for the 2 litre TDI version to come out. It will get a significant power increase, a way better gear box than the out going A4, has great space and practicality (boot space, collapsible rear seats, more storage pockets, etc.) will have all the tech and gizmos, and man, did you look at the new interiors?
In my opinion Audi has got what it takes to really step up their game and stand shoulders to shoulders with the other 2 big boys.
Yes, it is a FWD, but the power delivery of even the out going A4 is really neat. The engine is loud when you want it to be, and silent when you like.

You want a car for city driving and for open roads as well, my bet is with the Audi.

Last edited by Luv_Jaiswal : 3rd October 2016 at 20:01.
Luv_Jaiswal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 23:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
For me it's more of a battle between the heart and the mind. I am sure there are tons of veterans on this forum who can help you with the mind argument, but I'd like to talk about the heart argument.

If Mercedes Benz was a person then only one image pops up in my head -

A high class businessman who is obsessed with looking classy with a subtle sense of charm about him. Everything about his appearance will scream class from his head all the way down to his shoes. He is so compulsively obsessed with his looks that nothing will ever be out of place. Even when you look at his hair, you won't find a single strand that is out of place (You can see this when you focus on the attention to detail in the interiors of any Mercedes).

In a true sense of the word, this man is a classic "GENTLEMAN".

But then, there is BMW.

He comes out shirtless, sweaty and says - A gentleman? A real man can't be gentle. He has the body of a high performance athlete, looks like he spends his days and nights at the gym and loves horking down a crap ton of protein. He is brash, aggressive and doesn't mind getting into a fist fight if necessary.

And we can very well see this attitude in a BMW. The moment you step in, you know this thing loves SPEED. It wants the horses to road hard under the bonnet. It loves to hug the tarmac and screams like an angry tiger round the corners.

I mean, I could go on and on but let me be a little humorous here and sum it up real fast. There is a famous saying which goes something like - Rich people who can't handle a BMW and need their cars softened up buy a Mercedes.

However, of course I am joking with the above statement and I am clearly biased towards a BMW. Nevertheless, it's a pretty close call between the two, but at the end of the day if it's a better overall package you're after (interiors and equipment list), then go with the Mercedes.
rahul_jo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 10:32   #15
BANNED

The only area where the BMW scores higher is high speed handling.

In every other area - more powerful engine (read that as faster car), a good 9 speed gearbox etc the Merc is better. Add the fact it is easier to drive in the city and you have a no brainer.

Unless you spend your time tearing up and down ghat roads for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The days of the 3 being a good driver's car were back in the day.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed