Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2016, 22:48   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Replacement for a 6-year old Superb? EDIT: It's a Lexus ES300h!

Which Car - Advice and opinions sought from BHPians

Our Skoda Superb (manual transmission) is now 6 years old and has done 1.2 lakhs kms or thereabouts. I am inclined to change the car or should I refurbish it (??). This thread is to seek your advice on which car to acquire as a replacement.

Background: Ours is a joint family with 4 cars in the garage - Jazz, Volvo XC60, Amaze and the Superb.The Superb has given us reasonable service thus far. No major hiccups except on two occasions (clutch needed changing at 70k odd and radiator sprang a leak at 110k odd). Both fully addressed. The car does 20k a year a lot of it on inter-city drives of 100kms to 200kms.

The Need: For a decent upper end sedan preferably hybrid. Should be comfortable to enter and exit especially the rear seat, seats should not be too low, ride comfort & low noise are priorities and interiors should be as top notch as the budget permits. Back seat comfort and convenience are the over-riding requirements as this car will be used by my missus, mother, in-laws, visiting relatives, customers et al. Driver's car, vroom-vroom, speeding on corners etc are not on the list. Safety is. The car will be driven by three people - two drivers and self.

Budget: Rs 25 to 60 lakhs. I could dream of a bigger budget but why spend more on a car; better to invest it in my business. Below Rs 25L the finish of the interiors may not be what I seek (my customers will move in it too). Above Rs 60L will queer the delicate balance with the extended family and give my young adults funny notions of their place in life.

The alternatives I am toying with are:-

1. Give the Superb a full paint job, some interiors licking up and keep her going for another two years till we have a solid range of high end hybrid sedans to choose from. Question - is Skoda capable of delivering on a neat paint job? The answer is probably yes. While I am not pleased with Skoda's service and callous attitude I am a seasoned Indian who knows how to find my way through the thickest dealer. Been Skoda customer for over a decade so I am somewhat accustomed to their ways.

2. Go for the new Honda Accord Hybrid. The car's interiors look good, leg space seems decent, the hybrid is a huge plus plus for me, external looks are so so at best but Honda's service is a real asset.

3.Camry Hybrid - interiors are just okay from my requirements' point of view. The car however looks smart and runs smoothly. And Toyota's service will be trouble free.

4. Volvo S90: Looks to die for and interiors that are mouth watering. I need to get the elders in the family to trial out egress and ingress as the car is low in height. Sadly no hybrid yet.

5. Go for the new Skoda Superb. Improved package of something I am already familiar with and a car designed for the rear passenger. Not sure how reliable is the automatic transmission.

6. The new Octavia? We had the Laura MT for many years and it was a delight to drive and be driven in.

7. Maybe wait for the new Hyundai Genesis. Who knows it might even come as a hybrid.

I am yet to test drive these cars which I will do in the Christmas break next month.

Audi A6 I have eliminated as it is now too common a sight. Test drove it 2 years ago. Wifey rejected it. Next. Mercedes E- numerous friends & business associates who own one have cautioned against buying, complained of unreliability, shoddy service and moreover I don’t like the sporty youthful looks Mercedes has gone for. BMW - don’t like the harsh ride, lack of a spare and reputation for hydro locks.

In terms of looks I like the regal stately designs like Volvo S.90 and Superb. For now all options are open. Time line for the new purchase is from January to June 2017.

Your views and suggestions will be gratefully received. As I evaluate the cars and move to my decision I'll keep updating this thread so that I can enjoy the benefit of your inputs continuously through the process.

Narayan

Last edited by V.Narayan : 22nd November 2016 at 03:59.
V.Narayan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Replacement for a 6-year old Superb? EDIT: It's a Lexus ES300h!

Would suggest waiting a bit. Right now is the worst time to buy a premium sedan as the popular ones are due for all-new replacements.

The current generation Camry is 5 years old, and the next generation will come within a year or two max. Don't go for the Accord Hybrid - even the current + old Camry Hybrid is a better car.

Quote:
Give the Superb a full paint job, some interiors licking up and keep her going for another two years till we have a solid range of high end hybrid sedans to choose from.
Your Superb has already significantly depreciated. The cost of using it now will be marginal. Therefore, my recommendation is to use it for another 2 years AND:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Back seat comfort and convenience are the over-riding requirements as this car will be used by my missus, mother, in-laws, visiting relatives, customers et al.
Camry, Camry, Camry. Very comfortable (I prefer its backseat over the Superb), reliable and will withstand all the rough use that the missus / in-laws / relatives / chauffeurs throw at it. Think of it as a premium beater car.

I would've told you to wait for the all-new E-Class & 5-Series if it was your personal self-driven ride. But for the intended usage, the all-new Camry is the way to go.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd November 2016 at 10:20.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

If I'm not mistaken, each brand has its signature touches, finishes and practicality.. and someone who's used to a brand will always expect those subtleties only to be disappointed. The Superb as I've heard of it, is a car that is practical, comfortable and is the only vehicle that comes close to an affordable-executive-saloon, others may be affordable but will not be an executive saloon and those cars that are proper executive saloons wont be affordable by a long shot.

Simple answer.. new Superb, no point pumping in huge amounts for repaint on an old car for holding on for only 2 years. Non-European brands wont compare by a mile and a half and the Genesis G90 which will be a proper equivalent of a 7 Series will be 60+ lakh when and if it does arrive.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

2. Go for the new Honda Accord Hybrid. The car's interiors look good, leg space seems decent, the hybrid is a huge plus plus for me, external looks are so so at best but Honda's service is a real asset.

3.Camry Hybrid - interiors are just okay from my requirements' point of view. The car however looks smart and runs smoothly. And Toyota's service will be trouble free.
Given the extent of depreciation, you could also consider a high quality aftermarket guy for the paint job. Also, I would say you should restrain the spend on sprucing up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would suggest waiting a bit.

The current generation Camry is 5 years old, and the next generation will come within a year or two max. Don't go for the Accord Hybrid - even the current + old Camry Hybrid is a better car.

Camry, Camry, Camry. Very comfortable (I prefer its backseat over the Superb), reliable and will withstand all the rough use that the missus / in-laws / relatives / chauffeurs throw at it. Think of it as a premium beater car.
I second this advice as well. Even the current Camry is a better deal than the Accord. The next one should only be better - best to wait for it. The car isn't going to depreciate that much in another 2 years. On a related note and I saw this only as a passing mention in one review, I believe the new Accord does not get a spare wheel. There is no mention if the tyres being run are run flats or have similar tech. To me that alone is a HUGE deal breaker, their ridiculous pricing aside.

The only dampener is that with the relative success of the current Camry and the ridiculous example the new Honda Accord has set on price, may encourage Toyota to hike the Camry prices more than warranted when the next gen arrives.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd November 2016 at 12:19.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

As I was reading through your list of requirements from your next car, all I could say to myself was this.

"The Camry fits that"

"The Camry fits that too"

"Right, Camry"

"Why plump for the supremely expensive Accord when you can have the Camry for significantly less, and invest the change in your business?"

It might be old in the tooth, but that aging workhorse ticks all your boxes. That said, I'd agree with GTO and wait it out for a newer avatar of it. In the meantime, do up the Superb inside and out and wait it out.
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Give the Superb a full paint job, some interiors licking up and keep her going for another two years till we have a solid range of high end hybrid sedans to choose from. Question - is Skoda capable of delivering on a neat paint job? The answer is probably yes. While I am not pleased with Skoda's service and callous attitude I am a seasoned Indian who knows how to find my way through the thickest dealer. Been Skoda customer for over a decade so I am somewhat accustomed to their ways.
I wouldn't spend too much money on the Superb if you are set on changing it in two years. Any money you spend on it is not going to be recovered when you sell the car. So if the car is not troubling you and is in a good enough condition, keep it as is.

As mentioned above, most of the cars in this segment are up for replacement so waiting may be a better option. However as these cars are being phased out expect some heavy discounts on them. For Eg, the current E is being sold with massive discounts. You may be able to get a more "Premium and Branded" car for the money now. And if the car is chauffeur driver, then you don't really need the latest and greatest of tech.
VellVector is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Since the Superb has been working reliably, I would back GTO and advice you to keep it for a couple more years. There will be odd-jobs that will need to be carried out, but it seems to be more related to wear and tear than something that has premature wear/failure.

Alternately, since the Camry is too mundane, but you want a low maintenance car - how about waiting for the to be launched Lexus line-up? The ES300H more specifically which is in essence a more premium Camry.

Volvo service is subjective due to their small network, and the Accord over-priced. If nothing else works, then there is always the Camry!
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 19:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

The upcoming Passat would be a great fit and it might be headed here in it's hybrid avatar.

On the respraying part, certain independent paint shops like Pandit & Multan may be better than Skoda's service centres.

Further, unless the bodywork has a lot of dings and scratches paint restoration may be a more viable option rather than respraying.

Quote:
Question - is Skoda capable of delivering on a neat paint job? The answer is probably yes. While I am not pleased with Skoda's service and callous attitude I am a seasoned Indian who knows how to find my way through the thickest dealer. Been Skoda customer for over a decade so I am somewhat accustomed to their ways.

In terms of looks I like the regal stately designs like Volvo S.90 and Superb. For now all options are open. Time line for the new purchase is from January to June 2017.

Your views and suggestions will be gratefully received. As I evaluate the cars and move to my decision I'll keep updating this thread so that I can enjoy the benefit of your inputs continuously through the process.

Narayan
khoj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 21:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, dark.knight, Axe77, iliketurtles, khoj, Lamborghini, VellVector, thank you very much for your suggestions and feedback especially on the Honda Accord and Camry. Lamborghini your point on the Lexus rings well with me. That might be the route to go - wait a few months then check out the ES300H. I am told the price range is around Rs 65 lakhs. A little out of the budget but what the hell if the car fits we'll crack the piggy bank. I've requested the Lexus sales agent to see me on Friday. They don't have a test car here yet. But I am visiting Dubai next month and he has promised to arrange a test drive there! Passat Hybrid sounds interesting too. Thanks a lot gentlemen. This was true value of Team BHP. Best regards, Narayan

Last edited by V.Narayan : 22nd November 2016 at 21:22.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 00:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Above Rs 60L will queer the delicate balance with the extended family and give my young adults funny notions of their place in life.
I really don't have much to contribute in your search for your new car in this segment, but I just found this piece of text amazingly put. This is so eloquently presented. It says so much in just a few words. I'm a fan of uncomplicated yet complex prose.

Superb, man
ach1lles is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 11:04   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Further to my earlier post, this thread might be of particular interest to you V.Narayan - link.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:37   #12
BHPian

Have you considered the Jaguar XF? It ticks all your boxes.

It is priced under 60L, has spacious interiors, has that special feel compared to ubiquitous German sedans of its class, and it is a bit rarer as well. Not to mention the gorgeous looks.

Only doubt is about the rear ingress with the coupe like looks. May be you could try it out , just like the S90.

Coming to Hybrids, the new Passat GTE will be launched early next year! It is a great contender too

Last edited by rageshgr : 23rd November 2016 at 13:48.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
1. Give the Superb a full paint job, some interiors licking up and keep her going for another two years ...
In case, you are planning to stick on to the Superb for a little longer, wouldn't a wrap job be more cost effective than a full fledged paint job? I am sure decent quality ones last for 2 years without much visible wear and tear.

Assuming you have a white car, a pearl white wrap wouldn't be way off the color in the RC book either.

~
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:22   #14
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

The Passat GTE would be the perfect upgrade for you. News is that it is coming to our shores soon. Or else the current gen Camry is a wonderful option.

The Accord, as everyone has pointed out, is expensive for what it offers. Its best avoided.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 20:24   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

My sincere thanks to all BHPian brothers who cheerfully, sincerely and promptly offered their suggestions. The inputs were useful in helping me think through what is it that I really need and what all are my alternatives and what are the smoke screens my own mixed up emotions and priorities were creating. After all buying a new car is fraught with hand wringing confusion as every man knows and so does every women who's shopping for new shoes.

Lamborghini's suggestion of checking out the Lexus ES300H rang a very loud bell in my head - this had not crossed my mind. Suggestions to hold on and stretch the Superb also struck an empathetic chord - there is a sense of fun in repair and refurbishment and stretching the life of a car - a deep satisfaction which I am sure many BHPians recognize. Thought long on the Camry Hybrid especially whatever new model is due but figured a Camry will leave my materialistic side wishing for more. I also realized that my need is for a car with significant status but which is still understated . So after a few days of ding dong and talking to business colleagues overseas who drive a Lexus I booked a Lexus ES300H today - this is a hybrid drive. Haven't done a test drive but that is a risk I'll take. I am grateful to God for blessing me from a Lambretta to a Lexus. My thanks to GTO, Lamborghini, iliketurtles, //M, Spinnerr, rajeshgr, ach1lles, Khoj, VellVector, Axe77 and dark.knight. Delivery is in April'17. I have received the full value of being a part of Team BHP . Will write a thread when the new bride arrives.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 25th November 2016 at 20:27.
V.Narayan is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed