Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2016, 12:24   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW 3-Series GT vs Mercedes GLC-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strella View Post
Any update on the purchase. Thanks.
Unfortunately, no. It looks like I might end up buying the car with my dream engine - X3 30d - just for its engine

I checked Endeavour, but somehow it didn't really feel luxurious - especially the interiors - compared to my Linea. I am not planning to do any serious off roading and I think Endy is going to be an overkill from its off-roading ability perspective. I didn't consider S90 because of a couple of reasons - I am trying to purchase a vehicle with a relatively higher seating position and I am not hearing good things about serviceability of Volvo cars in independent garages. Looks like Volvo parts are difficult to procure outside compared to BMW and Merc. I did like XC60, but had to drop it because of uninspiring engine.

I still felt GLC might be a wiser choice as it is available at almost the same price as that of X3 30d, but I am more inclined towards X3 as GLC's engine isn't as good as 30d.

Frankly speaking I am not a fan of X3's ride quality or dynamics, but I don't want another low slung sedan either. Whichever car I purchase, the rear seat is going to be used by my 9 year old kid 95% of the time. My parents would use it once in a couple of months at the max and I am not sure if it makes sense to give a lot of priority to the rear seat comfort. I like fast cars and I believe 30d is a gem of an engine going by all the reviews. I would really like to purchase the all new X3 30d when it gets launched, but I am concerned about its probable landing cost and it could cross 80 big ones which is completely out of my budget. I will keep you guys posted as I need to make a decision in a day or two. Thanks!

Last edited by ece2k2 : 25th December 2016 at 12:39.
ece2k2 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 22:27   #17
BHPian

Indeed a tough decision.

I have driven the 3 (not the GT, but has seen it close enough to comment on quality and practicality), the C300, GLC 220d and the X3 both 2.0d and 3.0d.

Firstly IIRC the 3 GT has more legroom and GC than the 3 series (not that the 3's GC was a problem in the first place)
and the GLC has about the same legroom as the GT but even more GC (not that you may need unless you deal with deep craters on your daily commute).

X3 3.0d is a fantastic engine and the suspension set up is a bit on the firm side. Besides the car is based on the 2005 3 series and hence the electronics, infotainment, design amongst others is already showing its age. And I believe the new X3 is just about a year away.

Generally speaking the C class derived GLC cabin is better in interior design and quality otherwise the 3 GT is a winner. Besides, I love the idrive of the BMs over the COMAND of the Mercs even in their newest avatars.
GLC 220d was a nice car to live with, I rented one for about 10 days and didn't have much to complain except that I felt it could use a few more horses.
But the 3 is much nicer car to drive I presume that would extend to the GT as well.

But if the C250d were to be in the picture, I would pick that one. Jag is simply overpriced and I will be happy to see India seeing JLR back to the UK for their careless pricing of their products.

If C250 is not in discussion then it would be the 3 GT. Best wishes.

Do remember the GT got a facelift and an engine update (now 190 ps) which has made it the smoothest and the fastest engine (IMHO) in class, so you would be wise selecting that.
Old 25th December 2016, 23:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
Indeed a tough decision....you would be wise selecting that.
Thanks 316kmph. I didn't consider C250 as it is a low slung sedan which would need some careful driving tactics over speed breakers and bad roads. If GLC is available with the 250 engine, I might have picked it up. GLC 220's engine isn't feeling special for 60+ lakhs.

I was kind of decided about purchasing GT until I realised that I can get a much better equipped X3 with 30d engine by paying 15% more. Somehow X3 sounds more VFM, comes with more toys being a M sport spec and its added GC/AWD could be a bonus. Confused, confused!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 29th December 2016 at 03:24. Reason: Please do not quote entire large posts. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
Old 25th December 2016, 23:14   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I might end up buying the car with my dream engine - X3 30d - just for its engine
Quote:
comes with more toys being a M sport spec
If you are the one who is going to drive this more often, go-ahead with eyes closed. 6 cylinder BMW @ 15 -20 % higher costs over 4 cylinders - that too with M Kit - no brainer. Just negotiate maximum
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 01:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Somehow X3 sounds more VFM, comes with more toys being a M sport spec and its added GC/AWD could be a bonus. Confused, confused!
Unless you are doing a lot of highway runs or refinement is absolute priority go for the GT. In everyday driving 190 ps from the BM 4 cyl is plentiful. Even on the highways is plenty. And mind you the X3's weight will offset some power advantage. In everyday driving you wont miss much as long as power delivery is available from low down, linear and sporty (all 3 of which is given by the GT).

I do alternate between a 640d GC, an X5 and a Honda CRV for may daily commute in city traffic and in these circumstances the differences are mostly negligible except sometimes when I miss the shove on open stretches in the CRV. Out on the highway the story is quite different.

If you can overlook the age of the car and the do use quite a bit on the open road the go ahead and spend the extra money on the X3, if not save up till the a nice car comes along with 6 cyls., and get the GT for now and you wont regret.

Best.
316kmph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 07:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 316kmph View Post
Unless you are doing a lot of highway runs or refinement is absolute priority go for the GT. In everyday driving 190 ps from the BM 4 cyl is plentiful. Even on the highways is plenty. And mind you the X3's weight will offset some power advantage. In everyday driving you wont miss much as long as power delivery is available from low down, linear and sporty (all 3 of which is given by the GT).

I do alternate between a 640d GC, an X5 and a Honda CRV for may daily commute in city traffic and in these circumstances the differences are mostly negligible except sometimes when I miss the shove on open stretches in the CRV. Out on the highway the story is quite different.

If you can overlook the age of the car and the do use quite a bit on the open road the go ahead and spend the extra money on the X3, if not save up till the a nice car comes along with 6 cyls., and get the GT for now and you wont regret.

Best.
Thanks, the usage is going to be 95% highway runs. I will be using my good old Linea TJet for city runabouts.

While I can afford to wait for a good 6 cylinder car, I am getting a feeling that the new one from a premium brand with a six cylinder engine is going to be much more expensive. I would like to stick to the 50 to 60 lakhs budget whenever I purchase the car. Unfortunately I am not able to find any other 6 cylinder engine car in this price range or at a slightly higher price. I am sure that when the new X3 30d comes, it is going to cost north of 80 lakhs on the road. There is nothing in pipeline from Mercedes either in the 60 lakh price range.

Also, this purchase might well be my first and last premium car purchase as this involves big money. It has been a dream for me to buy one and I am trying to fulfill it, but I don't think I would do one more purchase. So I want to buy the best in the 50 to 60 lakh budget - in terms of engine, gadgets, reliability, looks and VFM factor.
Old 26th December 2016, 17:58   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was kind of decided about purchasing GT until I realised that I can get a much better equipped X3 with 30d engine by paying 15% more. Somehow X3 sounds more VFM, comes with more toys being a M sport spec and its added GC/AWD could be a bonus. Confused, confused!
No question, go ahead with the X3. A 6 cylinder BMW is special, no doubt! Also the added features are great in the X3 which includes heads up display, harmon kardon system, sports seats, etc. The 3GT has the adaptive LEDs which are missing on the X3.
Old 26th December 2016, 18:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
No question, go ahead with the X3. A 6 cylinder BMW is special, no doubt! Also the added features are great in the X3 which includes heads up display, harmon kardon system, sports seats, etc. The 3GT has the adaptive LEDs which are missing on the X3.
Thanks Akshay. I am going with X3 in all probability and have applied for the BMW finance for 7 years duration. Adaptive LED headlights is something I am going to miss, but for 15% more price I am going to get a lot more additional equipment compared to GT including that 6 cylinder engine that I always wanted. Going by the various international reviews/comparisons, it looks like the all new X3 would be the only one that might fit my requirements but I have a feeling that it might turn out to be too expensive for me when it lands here.

Now that X3 comes with 19 inch wheels and super low profile staggered setup tires (Michelins), I am not sure if I should start looking to swap them prior to delivery with 17 or 18 inch high profile tires. They look great though, but I am not sure how practical they are going to be in the long run. Any thoughts?
Old 26th December 2016, 18:25   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now that X3 comes with 19 inch wheels and super low profile staggered setup tires (Michelins), I am not sure if I should start looking to swap them prior to delivery with 17 or 18 inch high profile tires. They look great though, but I am not sure how practical they are going to be in the long run. Any thoughts?
I'd say keep them for now. Which Michelins are they? The ride will be a bit stiffer, but like you said most of your running is on the highway, I think you would be fine.
Old 26th December 2016, 18:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Akshay. I am going with X3 in all probability and have applied for the BMW finance for 7 years duration.
Good decision in the end. I am sure that 6 cylinder monster is going to keep you happy for a long time.

Have you considered leasing? Check with you CA, it might save you some tax. If BMW leasing is too expensive then you can look at 3rd party leasing.

About the wheels, I would recommend sticking to it as you will get additional stability on curves. Have driven SQ5 with R19s and it behaved almost like a sedan.
Old 26th December 2016, 18:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Don't worry about the 19s. They look absolutely fantastic and will contribute to better grip and performance. The 275 section rears give it a great stance. Adaptive suspension will take care of the ride quality don't worry.

Are you sure they are Michelins ? I expect them to be Pirelli P Zeros. And if you are hell bent on swapping them for 18s, you know whom to contact 😉

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 26th December 2016 at 18:45.
Old 26th December 2016, 18:43   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I'd say keep them for now. Which Michelins are they? The ride will be a bit stiffer, but like you said most of your running is on the highway, I think you would be fine.
Yes, I am going to use the car only for my highway runs as I don't feel comfortable using a premium car in narrow lanes with tons of bikes/autos cutting across every moment. I will get you the tire details first thing tomorrow. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Good decision in the end. I am sure that 6 cylinder monster is going to keep you happy for a long time.

Have you considered leasing? Check with you CA, it might save you some tax. If BMW leasing is too expensive then you can look at 3rd party leasing.

About the wheels, I would recommend sticking to it as you will get additional stability on curves. Have driven SQ5 with R19s and it behaved almost like a sedan.
Thanks, I am eagerly looking forward to my premium car experience. I will keep the 19" wheels. I didn't consider leasing until this moment and i am not sure about the financial aspect of the same. I will check with my auditor about it - thanks again for suggesting it.
Old 28th December 2016, 11:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Don't worry about the 19s. They look absolutely fantastic and will contribute to better grip and performance. The 275 section rears give it a great stance. Adaptive suspension will take care of the ride quality don't worry.

Are you sure they are Michelins ? I expect them to be Pirelli P Zeros. And if you are hell bent on swapping them for 18s, you know whom to contact 😉
Please see below the picture of the tyre that comes with X3 30d
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3-Series GT vs Mercedes GLC-Class-image1.jpg  

Old 28th December 2016, 19:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Please see below the picture of the tyre that comes with X3 30d
Is this a photo of the tires on the car being delivered to you? Cars can come with a variety of OEM tires, so unless the dealership confirms which tires will be on your car (which they usually do only after they get the car), don't be sure that it will be the same tire as what you have seen on another car.
Old 28th December 2016, 20:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Is this a photo of the tires on the car being delivered to you? Cars can come with a variety of OEM tires, so unless the dealership confirms which tires will be on your car (which they usually do only after they get the car), don't be sure that it will be the same tire as what you have seen on another car.
This is the tyre on the car that I have purchased. Sorry if I was not clear earlier

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks