Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2017, 17:14   #1
BHPian

Want to buy a cheap 2-door Sports Car

Hello Everyone!

Recently I have been thinking of buying a used 2 Door Sports Car. I have always wanted one but we don't want to spend much right now. So I was just wondering if I could get a Sera/350z/TT etc. for around 5-8L. I tried looking online but couldn't find anything.

I really need help in deciding-
A. Should I buy one?
B. Where can I find such cars in Bangalore?

I have no idea what to do so your input will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 17:18   #2
BANNED

re: Want to buy a cheap 2-door Sports Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
Hello Everyone!

Recently I have been thinking of buying a used 2 Door Sports Car. I have always wanted one but we don't want to spend much right now. So I was just wondering if I could get a Sera/350z/TT etc. for around 5-8L. I tried looking online but couldn't find anything.

No.

Instead. Here's what you should do.

Buy a Zen Carbon/Zen Steel.
Plonk in it a 1.6 Litre from an old baleno.
Add some go faster stripes. (For your attention needs)

Enjoy.
HyperRetard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 17:29   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The only cars that are available in that budget would be :
Toyota Sera
Toyota Celica
Toyota MR2
Honda CR-X Del Sol
Mitsubishi FTO
Mazda Miata MX5 (Bhpian Adilkhan5 did have one for sale a couple of years ago. You can get in touch with him)

For the Nissan 350Z/Audi TT, I am sure you will have to stretch your budget to 15+ lakhs.

Among the Indian cars, I can't think of anything other than the San Storm.

A few 2 door sports cars on sale on our classifieds.

Want to buy a cheap 2-door Sports Car-picture_211070.jpg

Nissan 100NX

Want to buy a cheap 2-door Sports Car-picture_209212.jpg
Toyota Celica

Want to buy a cheap 2-door Sports Car-picture_202898.jpg
Toyota MR-S

Last edited by v12 : 5th March 2017 at 17:44.
v12 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 18:10   #4
KMT
BHPian

Bro, for 8L you can get a convertible 2 door. Mahindra Thar
KMT is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 18:43   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
No.

Instead. Here's what you should do.

Buy a Zen Carbon/Zen Steel.
Plonk in it a 1.6 Litre from an old baleno.
Add some go faster stripes. (For your attention needs)

Enjoy.
That's too much work for my liking. Just want to keep it simple by buying a car and not worrying about to many changes to be done on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The only cars that are available in that budget would be :
Toyota Sera
Toyota Celica
Toyota MR2
Honda CR-X Del Sol
Mitsubishi FTO
Mazda Miata MX5 (Bhpian Adilkhan5 did have one for sale a couple of years ago. You can get in touch with him)

For the Nissan 350Z/Audi TT, I am sure you will have to stretch your budget to 15+ lakhs.

Among the Indian cars, I can't think of anything other than the San Storm.

A few 2 door sports cars on sale on our classifieds.

Attachment 1615697

Nissan 100NX

Attachment 1615698
Toyota Celica

Attachment 1615699
Toyota MR-S
Thanks a lot for that input.

These cars look good but I have 2 concerns-
A. None of these are actually in Bangalore and its not easy to drive an out of state car in Bangalore
B. Is reliability a big concern?

If I get a good car from Bangalore in good quality, I will go for it immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Bro, for 8L you can get a convertible 2 door. Mahindra Thar
Haha i'm not really a Jeep person
Naman_Ferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 19:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just want to keep it simple by buying a car and not worrying about to many changes to be done on it.
B. Is reliability a big concern?
a really old import, even if its a Japanese car, is not going to be that reliable. At least with a B zen, you can have pretty much any MASS fix it.

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2024 at 10:42. Reason: One word
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 20:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's too much work for my liking. Just want to keep it simple by buying a car and not worrying about to many changes to be done on it.
Zen modifications have been done multiple times by almost everyone in the industry. New Mars in hyderabad will even supercharge it for you. You honestly think buying a sports car from the 90s in whatever condition, will be easy to maintain, it will be even more time consuming buddy. You will be giving it to the same people that do engine swaps and blower mods on Zens because the company service centers wont be able to help you out and the fact is, those very people have worked on more Zens than they have any 90s import.

Take it from me, this simply won't happen in your budget and requirements for Bangalore registration and ease of maintenance.

Sorry to be such a damper on your urge to buy a sportcar but honestly it is easier to go the route of buying a cheap popular used car and modding it up, given your budget and requirements.

A supercharged Zen or Turbocharged SX4 will be MUCH easier to do. Not to mention, far cheaper.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 5th March 2017 at 20:24.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 22:49   #8
Team-BHP Support

There are 3 things you are looking for here -

1) Cheap (less than 10L)
2) 2 door coupe (implies you want to stand out from the rest in traffic)
3) Sports (you want performance too, not all show and no-go type of cars)

What your need is a modified Honda Civic - look at classifieds for one that has both engine/suspension mods and bodykit.

Want to buy a cheap 2-door Sports Car-modifiedhondacivicinkerelabluerearangle2720x492.jpg

Buying a stock pre-owned Civic and making modifications yourself is expensive and time-consuming. Instead, look for a Civic that has already been modified. Let the seller take the depreciation hit (on the mods). If you are worried about reliability of mods, pick a Civic that has just the basics covered (suspension upgrade, free flow exhaust, cold air intake) - this will be as reliable as a stock Civic.

Just make sure the bodykit/alloys on your pre-owned modified Civic is tasteful - there are some weird looking Civics out there

Last edited by SmartCat : 5th March 2017 at 23:06.
SmartCat is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 23:32   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In that price range, you are looking at buying cars that are 20 years old or in the whereabouts. No one maintains their cars well once they are so old....at least not 99% of car owners out there. You'll end up buying a piece of junk that only looks 'sporty', but will have a lot of patch work, end-of-life components and shoddy repairs under the skin.

Plus, these cars would have zero support here in terms of parts availability or mechanical familiarity (by garages). You are asking for a permanent headache.

I would strongly urge you to buy a later model fun-to-drive car. Options:

- Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI
- VW Jetta 2.0 TDI
- VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI
- Abarth Punto
- Honda Civic - incredibly mod friendly
- Accord V6
- Linea T-Jet

And so on. You get the gist. If you still want a 2-door sports car that'll be fun to own & drive, you need to double or triple your budget.

Fast - Cheap - Reliable = Pick any 2.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2017 at 10:34. Reason: Adding Linea T-Jet to the list
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 19:04   #10
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a cheap 2-door Sports Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I would strongly urge you to buy a later model fun-to-drive car. Options:

- Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI
- VW Jetta 2.0 TDI
- VW Polo 1.6 GT TDI
- Abarth Punto
- Honda Civic - incredibly mod friendly
- Accord V6

Fast - Cheap - Reliable = Pick any 2.
Honestly the above mentioned cars are as difficult to get as a 2 door sports car. I have been searching for a Polo 1.6 and they are either too good to be true or the owners knowing the demand for such cars tend to ask prices which are seriously not justified. There are also chances that the owner in the end may simply refuse to part with the car (can't do much in such cases).

Of all the cars listed above, the Civic is easiest to source. Scores of Civic's are changing hands for mouth watering prices. However the only risk is availability of parts but they are still a much safer bet compared to the imported cars. I also feel that the Japanese and Korean cars will be much more mod friendly compared to the Germans which could cost an arm and a leg to maintain especially if you end up perched on a tree!

Last edited by GTO : 19th April 2024 at 10:42. Reason: One word
Maverick1977 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 21:03   #11
BHPian

Mate as every one has suggested over here, stick to some cars mentioned in the posts above. I know the urge of driving a sport cars(if they can be called so) and to be the cherry of the road is some experience but really not worth the hassle you would go through to procure one and the headache(s) you would have once it breaks down.

I am surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Honda City Type II. It another mod-friendly car. You can pick one stock for 1-3 lacs depending on the condition and spend another 2 lacs to customise as per your wish (but please don't for the scissor door way). Just search the internet for modified Honda City Type II. Also you live in Bangalore buddy, you have many examples to look at as well as many good tuners(or people who can make a stock car fast).

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2017 at 10:28. Reason: Strictly no SMS language please (i.e. thru)
KaandBaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 21:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I really need help in deciding-
A. Should I buy one?
B. Where can I find such cars in Bangalore?
You can surely buy one.
You will need:
1. Good amount of Spare Cash
2. Spare time & Money to fix things which will breakdown.
3. Patience & determination to search on and on looking for spares.

Lastly, You should not limit your search only to Bangalore.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 10:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Honestly the above mentioned cars are as difficult to get as a 2 door sports car. I have been searching for a Polo 1.6 and they are either too good to be true or the owners knowing the demand for such cars tend to ask prices which are seriously not justified. There are also chances that the owner in the end may simply refuse to part with the car (can't do much in such cases).
!
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...gen/Polo.html/
howler is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 10:32   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Honestly the above mentioned cars are as difficult to get as a 2 door sports car.
The Polo 1.6 TDI will be difficult, but the Laura 1.8, Jetta, Accord V6 etc. aren't difficult in the metros. Sample search. For 8 - 9 lakhs, you can get a good car.

Loads of Civics too, as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
I am surprised nobody has yet mentioned the Honda City Type II.
Bad choice today. It's too basic and outdated. The engine is awesome, as are the gearbox & steering. But everything else (dynamics, high speed behaviour, features etc.) are poor. Plus, it's nearly impossible to find a well-maintained 1st-gen City today, as the newest car will be 14 years old.

Last edited by GTO : 7th March 2017 at 10:34.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 19:04   #15
BHPian

First of all, Thank You very much everyone for your help and feedback.

As I can see from almost all of your posts, buying a 90's 2 door car is not a good idea at all. Perhaps at the back of my mind, i already knew this but did not want to accept it. The idea of getting a sports car for so less blinded everything else .

I completely agree that the cars mentioned especially the Civic are very good to buy used. One car that I would like to add to the list is the BMW 330i. Its a proper V6 Petrol from BMW and available at under 10L. Perhaps the Beemer will be my first used car acquisition.

For now, i will probably have to drop the idea as i don't really need a new car. I had somehow managed to convince my family to buy a car by putting the same idea across - We can get a Sports car for 5-8L. But now that this seems like a bad idea, the purchase has been dropped.

One positive out of this is that my dad has become much more open to buying a used car now. So a modded Civic, Laura TSI or 330i might actually be mine in the near future

As GTO sir said, I will wait for a couple of years to double/triple my budget and buy a proper sportscar like a TT/Boxter.

I will keep you guys posted and thanks again for all the help!

Last edited by aah78 : 27th September 2017 at 17:42. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post Thanks! Uh-oh, you've used the wrong word -> "Beemer" ;)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks