Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Mercedes E-Class 149 33.18%
BMW 5-Series 174 38.75%
Audi A6 19 4.23%
Volvo S90 86 19.15%
Lexus ES 21 4.68%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2017, 11:13   #16
BHPian

Re: Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5-Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90 vs Lexus ES

Voted for the E class. I feel the Mercedes looks and feels a lot fresher and stylish. Of course, it might not be the most engaging to drive especially in comparison to the 5 but its the most spacious, luxurious, comfortable and stylish of the lot with 620Nms of FUN.
satz581993Mille is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 11:22   #17
BHPian

Voted for the 5 series, but wondering why no Jaguar ?
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 11:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Didnt realize that Jag isnt in the poll. It may not have the most luxurious interiors but it looks great and drives great. Infact it is the best looking of the current lot if you ask me.
Old 13th April 2017, 12:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Can't believe the F10 5 series, the oldest car of the lot, is leading the poll!

The new 5 is just around the corner, and the car that represents the 5 in this poll is about to be phased out. Makes it kind of difficult to vote. As far as looks is concerned, I prefer the F10 to the G30, but in every other aspect the G30 seems to be a big step up. If I was in the market I would wait for the new 5. But having said that, if you take this fact out of the equation and restrict the choice to the cars currently on sale, I'll still go for the 5 series. The biggest draw back of the current 5 is its poor rear seat space. For such a big car its rear seat legroom and space is pathetic. But what a good looking car it is. The 530d in M sport trim in white makes me skip a beat!! Its too aspirational for enthusiasts for other cars in the poll to have a chance.

The LWB in the Mercedes is a turn off for the self driven. More so in India where road space is tight and unscientific speed breakers abound. In fact the regular cars in this segment itself are huge in their own right.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 13:13   #20
BHPian

Having extensively travelled in the 5 series, its hard to believe its winning this poll. The car just doesn't suit the Indian luxury car market.

Its ridiculously cramped, boot is really small, its really old, doesn't particularly look striking and lacks new technology solely because its the old model.

It stands no chance against newer rivals like the new E-Class that are leagues ahead when it comes to almost everything.

Yes, the new 5 series is a different ball game and I wouldn't have been surprised if it were winning the poll, but this old version winning this poll points towards something being wrong.
prakhar1998 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 13:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
Yes, the new 5 series is a different ball game and I wouldn't have been surprised if it were winning the poll, but this old version winning this poll points towards something being wrong.
The question being 'Which would you pick?', I voted for the new 5 series; it's almost launched and I don't think anyone must've compared the new E and the old 5 while voting. The fact that it's not officially in the market is just a small technicality I think.
Also, I'm assuming most people on the forum, especially those participating in the polls and all would be a certain level of car enthusiasts and their instincts must've made them vote for the best car for driving rather than overall. It would be cool if there was data of the age of the voters.

I'm 27. I voted for the new BMW 5 series!
Old 13th April 2017, 14:38   #22
BHPian

Interesting post. My picks and why, would be as follows:

1. Lexus ES - Toyota reliability in a luxury car. Hybrid seems interesting. Suspension would be more comfort oriented compared to the Germans, therefore better for Indian roads. Lexus brand is unique.

2. Volvo S90 - Seems like the most reliable among the European manufacturers. Volvo badge is unique. Comfortable suspension tuning. Gorgeous Scandinavian interiors.

3. Audi A6 - Loses points for suspect long term reliability. Badge value and the exterior looks do not seem all that appealing. Has no real USP. It's not as comfort oriented as the Volvo and Lexus, but the FWD-only configuration means it's not as engaging to drive as BMW and Mercedes either.

4. Mercedes - Overpriced compared to the segment. Too massive to be practical. Ideal only if I have a chauffeur. Unlike the cars above, I would never want to drive this myself. Also, does not have a proper spare tyre, which is IMO a deal-breaker in India. But, if I was going to be only chauffeured around 100% of the time, this would be my first pick.

5. BMW - Biggest mark against the brand as a whole? Run-flat tyres. It's a shame Mercedes has copied this. Also, the sporty nature of a BMW has little appeal in crowded cities like Mumbai. I would rather have a soft, comfy ride that glides over potholes.

If however, I lived in Europe or the US, where roads are good and run-flats would never be an issue, BMW would be number 1 on my list.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 13th April 2017 at 14:41.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 14:58   #23
BHPian

Me? I wouldn't go for either of these. I'm quite selfish, and I abhor the "corporate" message these cars give off. The mid level luxury sedan is a boring, predictable, and, and frankly, a settled man's choice to make.

So I'd go for the 718, or the Mini Cooper S, or the Mustang and kick practicality square in the jammies. That's the dream anyway. But that's just me. And I can be quite the idiot.
ach1lles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 15:24   #24
A M
BHPian

This forum is full of enthusiasts and the choice is obvious. If you breakdown the poll variant-wise, I'm sure the numbers would be highest against the 530d. Voted for the 5 series myself solely for the mad 530d.

In the real world sales numbers though, I'm pretty sure Mercedes will walk to the bank laughing because of the trump card they played with the new E, followed by BMW with the G30 (going by the online reviews).

Also, why no Jaguar?
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 15:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Also, why no Jaguar?
Agreed, the Jag should have been on the poll. I probably would have voted for it instead.
Old 13th April 2017, 16:12   #26
BHPian

I'm not voting but just commenting. The choices are a bit skewed with an outgoing 530, old and tired A6, the Lexus which has very limited details and XF which is not even included.

I'd probably pick the S90 styling, the 530 engine, the luxury of the E350 and the growl of the XF. My car will be the mutant amongst mortals.

Once I wake up, I'll drive my City.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd probably pick the Volvo.
Khushrav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 19:04   #27
BHPian

The Heart says Volvo S90 - looks great, I hear the cars are well made and reliability appears good too !

The Mind says - Lexus and this is what I voted for.

To me, Japanese technology is second to none and the Lexus/Acura represent the finest of their automotive prowess.

The after-sales experience would be vitally important in any car I buy (or pretend/hope) in the future as would be reliability as duration of ownership would be minimum 8-10 years.

I like the interiors, the performance should be more than adequate for my usually sedate driving style with occasional forays to the redline.

Hopefully, when the customary discounts start, the Lexus will be better value
Old 13th April 2017, 19:34   #28
BHPian

Voted for lexus.
Hybrid is the way to go. Moreover, a huge free ownership is highly interested. In increasingly crowded metros of India, lesser the trips to dealership better it is.
Old 13th April 2017, 23:23   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
I voted for the 5 series too and wondered the same. The Jaguar XF is quite under rated in my opinion. It is a wonderful car and one of the most beautiful designs.

Coming back to the 5 series, although it got softer with time, it is still one of the best cars to drive. The whole driving experience in the 5 was enough for me to choose this over the others.
Old 14th April 2017, 01:50   #30
BHPian

I have voted for the 5-series simply because for me there is nothing greater than the control I feel while driving a BMW. It's a brand which actually connects man amd machine to give a proper integrated driving experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks