Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

View Poll Results: Which would you pick?
Mercedes E-Class 149 33.18%
BMW 5-Series 174 38.75%
Audi A6 19 4.23%
Volvo S90 86 19.15%
Lexus ES 21 4.68%
Voters: 449. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 20:34   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5-Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90 vs Lexus ES

Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5-Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90 vs Lexus ES-merc-comparo.png

Mercedes-Benz E-Class
Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5-Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90 vs Lexus ES-1.jpg

What you'll like:

• A gamechanger in the Rs. 50-70 lakh segment. Unreal opulence
• Spacious, luxurious cabin. Limousine-like rear seat experience is sublime
• Creamy 6-cylinder diesel (620 Nm of torque!) mated to a fantastic 9-speed AT
• Comfortable ride quality & solid on-road behaviour
• Top notch equipment includes an air suspension, auto-parking, reclining rear seat…
• 5-star safety tech, rating & kit – a Mercedes trademark

What you won't:

• Uninvolving to drive; a cruiser, not a corner carver
• Ridiculous price gap between the E200 & E350 (almost Rs. 18 lakhs on the road)
• No wheel well in the boot. Spare tyre greatly compromises luggage space
• XL wheelbase means it will scrape over large speedbreakers
• 4-cyliner petrol is weak for a car of this class. E200 is for backseat owners only
• Integrity of the trim material, although well-finished (plastic chrome, fake leather, no felt lining in door pockets)

Review Link

BMW 5-Series
Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5-Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90 vs Lexus ES-dsc_3334.jpg

What you'll like:

• Classic BMW styling. A timeless design
• 7-Series quality, inside out. Actually based on the exact same platform
• Ferocious 6-cylinder diesel & competent 4-cylinder. Gearbox still the best in the business
• Excellent ride & handling balance. 530d still the most fun-to-drive in this segment
• Loads of tech, equipment & 5 star safety
• 6 year warranty & 10 year maintenance packages available

What you won't:

• Horrible rear seat legroom
• Electric power steering. Drive is not as pure as the E60 on the limit
• Runflat tyres mandatory. No room for a space saver spare either
• Oldest car in this group. Next-gen model's launch is just around the corner

Review Link

Audi A6
Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5-Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90 vs Lexus ES-3.jpg

What you'll like:

• Timeless styling matched to a premium build
• Interiors are among the best in the business
• Well-equipped. Loaded with features!
• Fast DSG replaces the old + slow CVT gearbox
• Solid stability (in Dynamic mode) & excellent brakes
• 5 star safety rating. 8 Airbags & a host of electronic aids

What you won't:

• Only variants are the 4-cylinder diesel & petrol. 6-cylinder 3.0 TDI isn't even in the pipeline
• 2.0 diesel struggles to deliver at the higher end
• FWD, unlike the RWD competition. A6 has an understeer-biased chassis
• Electric power steering lacks feel & feedback
• Potential long-term issues with the DSG and air suspension

Review Link

Volvo S90
Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5-Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90 vs Lexus ES-4.jpg

What you'll like:

• Built like a tank!
• Great looking face. Volvo's new design language packs appeal
• Well-crafted interiors. Adequate space too
• 19-speaker Bowers & Wilkins audio system is simply awesome
• Comfortable ride quality over most road conditions
• Top levels of safety & equipment

What you won't:

• Only a 2.0L diesel. No 6-cylinder option, no petrol engine
• Weird rear end styling. Doesn't match the smart front
• A FWD. Driving experience isn't as much fun as its RWD competitors
• Some glaring omissions (electric steering adjustment, sunshade for rear windscreen...)
• Volvo's tiny 15-dealer network
• Volvo badge lacks the lure & pull of its German rivals

Review Link

Lexus ES
Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5-Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90 vs Lexus ES-5.jpg

Launch Thread

Last edited by Aditya : 11th April 2017 at 16:02.
Aditya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 15:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5-Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90 vs Lexus ES

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 16:14   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5-Series vs Audi A6 vs Volvo S90 vs Lexus ES

As a BMW Guy & as a Driving Enthusiast have given my vote to the 5 series.

^ But that victory is only till one is picking up the top of the line 6 cyl model.

If OK with the entry level models then the E Class (upcoming E220d) is the winner
karan561 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 17:18   #4
BHPian

Have voted for the Volvo S90. Love the way it looks, interiors are really classy, decent amount of power and is priced very well given the fact it is a CBU. It can accommodate 4 adults in reasonable comfort.

However, given a much higher budget and a car to be used only by me, the choice would end up being the 530d.
amansanc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 12:08   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As a driving enthusiast, it's a no-brainer choice. The BMW 530d. After innumerable highway drives and a 3.5 year old car, she still brings a smile to my face every time I drive her. In pedal-to-the-metal mode, this car is a lunatic. The entire experience just feels special; that mad engine, the handling, the surprisingly nice EPS, the mega brakes & the segment-best gearbox. She's the oldest in the group, yet the best if you're in the driver's seat. My vote goes to the BMW.

That said, there is no question that the E-Class is the better luxury car. The sheer space on the LWB, that opulent cabin, the stunning design & styling - it's an unbelievably good family / chauffeur-driven car. Frankly, I'll be recommending the E-Class to more people than the 5-Series.

To drive, the choice is obvious. For the backseat too, the choice is obvious. It's a dilemma for the A6 & S90 as they are neither here nor there IMHO (they don't even offer 6-cylinders!). In comparison, the Lexus will easily carve out its own niche as it has many differentiators (Toyota reliability, hybrid tech, a fresh brand, fuss-free ownership experience etc.).
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 14:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the 5 series.
Here is my preference order, if I were in the market to buy one with my own money.

1. 5 series - due to it's driver involvement, handling, engines and subtly aggressive looks.

2. S90 - For the fresh styling & Swede Spa like interiors.

3. ES300h - Exclusivity & Peace of mind in the same sentence. Hybrid tech protects against arbitrary NGT rulings and Odd/Even etc.

4. Merc E-Class - This car is a limousine, and does not really belong to this segment. However, I personally hate to be driven around, hence it appears here on the preference order.

5. Audi A6 - Has no redeeming values/USP left after removal of 3.0TDI and Quattro. This just feels like a Passat in a over sized tuxedo suit. No emotional connect while driving in terms of everything.
abhishek46 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 19:54   #7
BHPian

For driving seat : BMW 5 Series. (Though it doesn't make sense to include this as the new one is out and is dare I say..softer).

For everything else, there's the Mercedes.
The Brutailer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 21:26   #8
BHPian

Voted for BMW 5 Series, esp for the 530d (despite owning a C250d)

The new E is for the rear seat and not for the driver. I'd love to upgrade to the new E when it comes with the same engine as 350d but without the LWB. (should be a bit cheaper too)

Merc has taken the interior plushness to another level
sriramv.iyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 22:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Among the ones listed here, I would pick the 5 series as I would drive it myself. But only the F10. I would say NO to the new 5er which should debut here anytime soon. I don't like the new BMW design language.

These are all aspirational cars for me, so looking good and feeling good is of prime importance.

And can we have the gorgeous S60 Polestar in this poll? That will make this a no brainer for me.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 03:20   #10
BHPian

Ive long been meaning to set up a poll for such segments. I think its easier to see how a car stacks up against its rivals. These polls are tremendously helpful to someone looking for a new car. Most who have owned and/or are owning such cars do look at the competition as each car here have their own unique trait.

For e.g., the new E class is unparalleled in its back seat comfort but the top model is almost 20 lakhs off the base A6, which is the cheapest car in this segment at the moment. Many people who look to buy a car in any segment do look at its price. Now if i want to buy a car just so that my chauffeur can also have a fancy car, ill look at the A6 as it is the cheapest. Also if i have to give my kid a car, ill prefer it being a FWD. But if i want to be chauffeured around in then the E class wins it.
530d is perhaps the enthusiasts favourite in this segment as the inline 6 gets you flying off the blocks.
ES since its a hybrid is still a decent choice and i know alot of people who still look back at Lexus as the Alpha brand. I don't know why, but something about a lexus is tempting. Also, apparently its free from the odd/even rule. In places were the odd/even rules exist, the ES becomes a no brainer.
S90 has to be the best sedan here, its one of the most safe and secure cars. But, FWD and lack of engine options is costing it dear.

So this segment is rather straight forward for me. 530d for performance, E-class for backseat, ES for the hip and flash and the S90 & A6 are a big no-no for me cause more engine options are needed and an AWD or RWD option would definitely help.

Also, a question to the mods or anyone here, is there a way of mending the top most post here once the new 5 series is out? Im sure upon its launch, alot of members and non-members alike will have their money burn a hole in their pocket. I know i am waiting for the new 5 series. What engine options BMW bring to their attacking line up has me waiting. If not the E-class LWB is the winner here.

However, all cars here as i mentioned earlier, have their own taste. Each person wants something different from their car and the war for the best car is almost subjective to your needs and wants.

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 13th April 2017 at 03:25.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 06:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

If Mercedes had the regular wheel base with the 350d it would be a close fight with the BMW. Voted for the BMW though I drive a C250d. Some how from an enthusiast point of view something is just not right with LWB.
I would suggest the E to everyone who is not an enthusiast and is primarily chauffeur driven. You just can't beat the E backseat.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 07:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Given most of the entry level German luxo barges come with 4 banger which would mean that having a rear drive would not matter too much, I would with the easy going comfortable persona of the Volvo. Given a 6 cylinder engine, Mercedes would be my choice as being comfortable and sporty enough. It looks great as well. The new BMW 5 series is just meh.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 07:25   #13
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support: Do NOT TROLL on Team-BHP. If you have an issue with a post or thread, use the 'report this post to a Moderator' function.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2017 at 09:23.
gthang is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th April 2017, 07:57   #14
Team-BHP Support

Would you believe it, I voted for the Volvo S90!

Why?

The styling, rear bum excepted, the gorgeous interiors, the durability - my gut feel is that this car will have low overall running costs. It is not that bad to drive and a decent enough drive for indian conditions.

The E-Class is nice but too long for me. The BMW 530d would be the drivers choice but I have reservations on its long term durability.The Audi A6 is outclassed, interiors excepted. The Lexus is an alternative statement, besides I have not looked closely at this car as yet

Last edited by ajmat : 13th April 2017 at 10:41.
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 09:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the 5!

I did not initially liked the look of the new 5 (from the pictures), but my opinion changed after seeing it on road here. I am not a big fan of the 'headlight-meets-grille' design, but it looks less bulbous than the model it replaces and the interiors are so well-appointed. The new E is awesome and the LWB model is a masterstroke by Mercedes India, but for the self-driven ones the 5-series should be the pick of the segment.

On a separate note, it’s good to see the brands getting realigned to what they are good at – Mercedes focusing on its USP of luxury and the BMW with its fun-to-drive aspect. It’s a big step-up for Volvo with its new S90 and with Lexus now into the mix, this segment is quite a happening one with interesting choices!

Edit: We should have the XF also in the list?

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th April 2017 at 09:20.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed