Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2017, 00:25   #16
BHPian

Re: Land Rover Discovery Sport or Mercedes GLE?

I HOPE you held your purchase if not I'm sure you'd be super disappointed looking at the current pricing strategy of Land Rovers. If I have to answer this question at this point of time I'd suggest the Discovery sport hands down. The current pricing in the sub 40L region for most of its variants makes it a great value for money deal. Though both the models have been around for a while the GLE is aging a lot and as said earlier by fellow bhpian an upgrade as in an entirely new model shall be out in a year or so.
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:20   #17
BHPian

I would surely suggest the Discovery sport over the GLE if you are going to be predominantly driving the vehicle. Having driven both the vehicles i have to say that the GLE is rather cumbersome to handle within the city. Having said that, rear seat comfort in the GLE is far superior undoubtedly. But then with outdated interiors and massive presence, the GLE is a big no no for me personally. The disco sport is quite comfortable but not suitable for spirited driving. I would suggest the BMW X3 and X5 for that. They offer a better driving experience and also are quite comfortable. The X3 is quite agile and the X30D offers driving thrills in bucketloads. Only problem is it will be replaced soon.
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:49   #18
BHPian

I think the X30D has been discontinued officially and with the great deals on offer for the car, it'll be difficult to get a hold of the model.
Old 30th June 2017, 22:37   #19
BHPian

Definitely the Merc, Land Rover Discovery series look fugly, GLE looks way more elegant. Discovery Sport compares more to GLC than GLE and land rovers are overly priced. GLE trumps on Road Presence and spaciousness of interiors.
Old 8th July 2017, 10:17   #20
BHPian

I finally went for the GLC. I bought it just before GST Rollout but i got the GST benefits from Merc... The reasons as follows:
1)Current GLE is getting obsoleted by this year end or so as i was informed by the dealer
2) A new variant of GLE with sunroof was launched and they hiked the price to 78 lakhs
3) Landrover - the sales guys were just not willing to budget. I wanted the GST benefit and they told me the prices are actually going up after the GST (maybe they wanted me to buy at their price and scare me into it)
4) Merc guys came back and gave me an amazing offer on the GLC with guarantee of it being price matched to GST reductions. Plus a whole bunch of discounts landed me the car at 56 Lakhs on road in Bangalore.. GLC is the latest version, new features and the car will be around for a while.. The test drive was also excellent. Interiors are the latest.. hence the GLC :-)

Thank you all for your help in deciding!
originalamit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 11:26   #21
BHPian

Congratulations! Good buy, and at a great price. I think Discovery sport would have also come around the same price after GST, HSC Luxury. Did you test drive the Discovery sport, can you compare the differences for us.
Old 8th July 2017, 11:42   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Merc guys came back and gave me an amazing offer on the GLC with guarantee of it being price matched to GST reductions
Congrats, do post pictures of your new ride. I will go with the GLC for the reasons you mentioned, it certainly is most modern. Any idea how is it priced now and did you saved some money by buying before GST vs say today's rates?

Quote:
I think Discovery sport would have also come around the same price after GST
Yes, but LR is still as risky as previously. Current generation owners have reported numerous problems ranging from blown engines, transmissions to rattling interiors. One needs to be very brave for considering products from LR in my opinion.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th July 2017 at 11:45.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 13:38   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalamit View Post
4) Merc guys came back and gave me an amazing offer on the GLC with guarantee of it being price matched to GST reductions..
Congratulations on your new car! Looks like the sales experience was good, who was the dealer? Did you check with both Sundaram and Akshaya?

Please post pictures, not many GLC ownership threads on the forum I think.
Old 19th July 2017, 14:09   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Merc guys came back and gave me an amazing offer on the GLC with guarantee of it being price matched to GST reductions. Plus a whole bunch of discounts landed me the car at 56 Lakhs on road in Bangalore.!
Congrats

I believe the road tax in KA is very high hence the price seems good. Can you tell us what the ex-showroom price was after discounts?
Old 19th July 2017, 14:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I finally went for the GLC. I bought it just before GST Rollout but i got the GST benefits from Merc...
Congratulations! That's a sweet deal you got. GLC is, at present, the only sensible option in it's segment. Both X3 & Q5 are outdated and the new ones won't be having much discounts either.

By the way, which colour you opted for? Looks great in brown.
Old 19th July 2017, 14:39   #26
BHPian

hey sorry for the late reply... was traveling...will try to answer all the queries:
1) I went for the white color
2) I think the on road price before discount was around 66L for the top end sport edition. So, the price they gave was for Return to invoice insurance for around 56.5 approx.
3) Compared to HSE Lux, the price was very high of the LR.
4) I would recommend LR to people only if they are into serious offroading. If not, then the merc to me is a better bet. But thats my opinion.

Sorry again for the late reply... Was in the wilderness in zimbabwe with no internet :-)
originalamit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 03:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I finally went for the GLC. I bought it just before GST Rollout but i got the GST benefits from Merc... The reasons as follows:
1)Current GLE is getting obsoleted by this year end or so as i was informed by the dealer
2) A new variant of GLE with sunroof was launched and they hiked the price to 78 lakhs
3) Landrover - the sales guys were just not willing to budget. I wanted the GST benefit and they told me the prices are actually going up after the GST (maybe they wanted me to buy at their price and scare me into it)
4) Merc guys came back and gave me an amazing offer on the GLC with guarantee of it being price matched to GST reductions. Plus a whole bunch of discounts landed me the car at 56 Lakhs on road in Bangalore.. GLC is the latest version, new features and the car will be around for a while.. The test drive was also excellent. Interiors are the latest.. hence the GLC :-)

Thank you all for your help in deciding!
I think that is the correct choice. I would not have recommended discovery sport over GLE as its 3rd row is useless.
Old 16th November 2017, 22:45   #28
BHPian

Congratulations Amit. How is the Merc treating you. Hope to see a detailed thread from you soon. A bit off topic but I got below mentioned sms from a Merc dealer today. Though I am in the market looking for a lesser price range SUV and I find the Q3 quite appealing but I find this deal very tempting. Not sure how it works though will call them up and check the details.
Mercedes-Benz GLC @ EMI of Rs39,999*
Zero maintenance for 3years*
Assured Buyback*
Exchange Bonus*.
Call Silver Arrows : 9250900116
T&C Apply.

Most Viewed