Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Old 21st August 2017, 22:58   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
I actually prefer preowned pre worshipped cars. Because I believe that you lose a lot when you leave the showroom with a new car.
Off topic:
A pre owned phaeton must be a great deal since it did not sell in large numbers as people in that segment prefer to buy an Audi over a VW. There's very little information about the car and am pretty sure we would love to read more about it. An ownership report or even a short write up on the car about its features and driving experience will be great to read. I believe most members will agree with me on this. Looking forward to it.

Coming to the new car I saw a Mini Cooper on road today and I feel it stands out of the crowd as much as say a Porsche would on German luxury brands full of Delhi roads. It would get you attention an Audi or BMW never can. If your heart is set on the Mini you should definitely go for it. Cheers.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2017 at 09:46. Reason: Typos
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mini Cooper S or BMW X1 as a daily driver?

Go for the MINI. And X1 IMHO is not even a BMW. Opinions differ and that's the beauty of humans.

Mini may not give you plush riding. In fact good roads will make the mini good wrt comfort. Bad roads will show how horrible Mini is wrt comfort.

But no one can take away a powerful go kart experience everytime you ride it.

It's super fun to drive car, taking less space and making everyday ride filled with so much energy.

Get used ones. You have a pre-owned phaeton. You already have a white dinosaur. Mini is just a white elephant.

Out of topic

I am starting to feel people are not reading original post. Why are we even suggesting other cars when the post owner clearly called out to help between two cars.

Last edited by VW2010 : 22nd August 2017 at 10:02.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 21:55   #18
BHPian

Mini Cooper S JCW it is. Like pointed out by a few. Many a times Mini doesen't give you the occasion to buy one. When you get a chance go for it.

I have driven the JCW edition and it is fantastic. I found the last gen a bit more sporty but this gen is a bit more practical. More space, better creature comforts.

In fact, thanks to this post I might buy one. Was thinking of 11 cars (to replace my 640d GC) now I am thinking of the Copper S as well.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 31st August 2017 at 12:39. Reason: typo
316kmph is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 20:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pros and Cons -
Mini is basically a 3 seater when I am driving. But very attractive to look at. I cannot configure it in spite of the expense because a custom car will take 4 months and they are not willing to commit a price.

BMW is a diesel (would prefer the zip of a petrol) and a little lacking in power compared to the Mini (when I factor in the JCW remap in the Mini). But it has the features I would like in the Mini but cannot get!

My heart says the Mini, while my brain says the X1.
Any thoughts are welcome.
I was in the same dilemma, but the choice was between Used CLA45 or New Cooper S. I went with the latter and am so happy. No other car that I've bought has made me so happy.

You can check the pre configured options the dealer has, send me a message I know the inventory of all 4 dealers in the country thanks to my car hunt.

Must have options: (check attached for my options list)
Sports Gearbox (can't be coded so have to get it)
Adaptive Dampers
Heads-up Display (Makes you feel like you're in a little spitfire)
Mini Connected XL (Need it for HUD)
JCW Kit (oh my god that exhaust!)

Can be missed:
Sunroof (The mesh grille of sunroof lets heat in, not suited for our conditions)
Harmon Kardon (Honestly I don't feel the difference was worth 1.3 lakhs)

Quote:
The only thing is that Mini lacks Navigation, Heads Up Display and a Reverse camera. All of which come with the X1.
These are all options, heck Mini doesn't even give auto folding and anti dazzle mirrors. They recently made reverse sensors included (they were an option before). And trust me I used to love my reverse camera but Mini is so small you honestly don't need it. But I would have loved front sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Mini may not give you plush riding. In fact good roads will make the mini good wrt comfort. Bad roads will show how horrible Mini is wrt comfort.
The F56 Mini Cooper S has amazing ride quality, the older R56 had very hard ride. And also optional adaptive dampers (Rs 80,000) best of both worlds!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bimmer.work - VIN Decoder for BMW.pdf (253.7 KB, 697 views)

Last edited by quickdraw : 2nd September 2017 at 20:47.
quickdraw is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 22:42   #20
ppr
BHPian

Have sent you a message
Please check

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Must have options: (check attached for my options list)
Sports Gearbox (can't be coded so have to get it)
Adaptive Dampers
Heads-up Display (Makes you feel like you're in a little spitfire)
Mini Connected XL (Need it for HUD)
JCW Kit (oh my god that exhaust!)

Can be missed:
Sunroof (The mesh grille of sunroof lets heat in, not suited for our conditions)
Harmon Kardon (Honestly I don't feel the difference was worth 1.3 lakhs)
Unfortunately the preconfigured one I am getting in Mumbai has the sunroof(terrible)! And the HK(which I dont mind)
It does not have the HUD which I really wanted. It does have the Sports gearbox and JCW. But I am not sure of the adaptive dampers. Can they be fitted later?

Thanks

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2017 at 07:49. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Thanks :)
Old 12th September 2017, 07:21   #21
ppr
BHPian

Finally pulled the trigger and bought the Mini Cooper S. Should get delivery some time this week. Thanks all for the extremely valuable inputs!
ppr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 18:08   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally pulled the trigger and bought the Mini Cooper S. Should get delivery some time this week. Thanks all for the extremely valuable inputs!
Wasn't there to suggest one among the choices but let me be the first one to say that you took the absolute right decision. The Mini costs a bomb no doubt but it is worth it and there are absolutely no vehicles like that in any segment, NONE.

People think that a small hatch with a large engine shoved into it would make a great alternative to Mini at 1/3rd the price.. no way if you ask me. You just don't get what this offers :

1) Slightly higher seating+visibility (taller roofline) adds to the visibility and feels fun because you have great view of the road. Driving improves much more with great visibility. I'm not much of a fan of very low seating like Beetle.

2) Short overhang in the back makes driving very predictable and fun.

3) Very snappy yet grip-loaded steering.. you know where to target it because the ends of the car are visible without assistance.

4) That ignition - enough said.

5) THE ideal fun car for India for those with a higher budget. The looks are quirky and modern.. such a refreshing change from the boxy, overtly sleek *overrated* lines of other brands.

5) The tractability of the motor combined with the overall haptics, superb.

BMW X1 is no slouch, but nothing is a Mini.. period.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 21:26   #23
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Wasn't there to suggest one among the choices but let me be the first one to say that you took the absolute right decision. The Mini costs a bomb no doubt but it is worth it and there are absolutely no vehicles like that in any segment, NONE.

BMW X1 is no slouch, but nothing is a Mini.. period.
Totally agree. Just drove it home today. Hit good speeds effortlessly on the Sealink.

Only a couple of negative comments regarding the Mini package. I think a rear camera is essential. I mean, my i20 and Manza have one!. Power seats / ORVMs would be nice for a car costing this much.

Other than that, only positives!. I am a pretty big guy but this is one of the most comfortable drivers seats. The HK system really sounds good and overall build quality is fantastic. And that JCW kit rocks!

Thanks all, especially Akshay and Manav, for all the help!

Last edited by Aditya : 15th September 2017 at 13:55. Reason: Mention of high speeds edited
ppr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 21:44   #24
BHPian

Congrats on choosing the mini , the car I would always choose between the choices you had.

I owned the previous generation X1 and it was nice enough for the price I bought it for . It was expensive to maintain , had issues with the dealership but it was a practical daily drive .The X1 met with an accident when it had run about 40,000 kms and we had to let it go.

Then in 2015 I brought home a used R56 cooper s and it was like no other car I had owned. Its special and I got introduced to the world of the niche cars. It was sold to buy a mustang in july this year and the whole family misses it badly. Now that the mustang has been sold (reasons elsewhere), no guesses that the new generation cooper s would come home soon .

Its unique , its special , its fun . Sorry , there is no competition.
.Albatross. is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 13:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations doc, do share pictures of your British Racing Green beaut, love that colour on Mini.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 12:26   #26
BHPian

Many congratulations on your purchase. You made the right choice. It's always heart over the matter.

Wishing you happy mile munching and safe driving.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st December 2019 at 07:04. Reason: Spacing
Old 26th November 2019, 03:18   #27
BANNED

Default Mini Cooper S or BMW X1 as a daily driver?

Reviving this old thread on account of being on the same road and same journey now in 2019.

As many of you know I ve had an enjoyable 8 year run with my Yeti since 2011.

Now Im moving soon to an used Luxe AT Hot Hatch and have zeroed in on a very nicely maintained Cooper S, coming in to be on boarded with me at a nice price.

I know that in Indian road conditions SUV's and CrossOvers are generally the smart things to buy and use. I have been on that journey these last so many years and indeed I may have been one of the happy earlier adopters of the fully loaded functional crossover category of vehicle in India. Simply because I loved it and followed my heart. And it has most certainly done well for me.

Now I am again just following my heart and in these crowded congested environs in which we live, I am just going straight as an arrow towards a Cooper S.

I think it is going to be fun as my primary daily use vehicle because it more or less fits my own personal and my small family's needs just perfectly.

For all my rough and tumble and load carrying needs and general beater usage, I do have my Gypsy King so Im thinking its cool. Because several needs and eventualities are likely to be served through this combination of horses in the garage.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th November 2019 at 03:20.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 17:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
moving soon to an used Luxe AT Hot Hatch and have zeroed in on a very nicely maintained Cooper S, coming in to be on boarded with me at a nice price.
Congratulations, can you share some pictures. One of my knowns had won a bid and is undecided to go ahead or skip.

details here -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4700181 (BMW India's factory auctions of used cars)
Old 1st December 2019, 00:57   #29
ppr
BHPian

Shankar

It's a no brainer. The only downside is the speeding fines if you drive in Mumbai! Best car I ever bought. Would buy it again without a second thought. I never feel like driving any other car.

I drive the Phaeton when all of us have to go out and its not bad with the 3.6 litre Petrol engine. But driving my brother's E Class is like pulling my teeth out compared to the Mini.

ppr

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st December 2019 at 07:04. Reason: Spacing
Old 2nd December 2019, 09:08   #30
BANNED

Default Mini Cooper S or BMW X1 as a daily driver?

Quote:
Shankar

It's a no brainer. The only downside is the speeding fines if you drive in Mumbai! Best car I ever bought. Would buy it again without a second thought. I never feel like driving any other car.

I drive the Phaeton when all of us have to go out and its not bad with the 3.6 litre Petrol engine. But driving my brother's E Class is like pulling my teeth out compared to the Mini.

ppr

I am certainly not in your league man in terms of stable. Mine is a humble one.

I have a superb workhorse in the form of my Gypsy and a Thoroughbred Hunter-Chaser in the form of the Mini.

The Yeti was a good Appaloosa Mustang but its now gone.

So I am effectively using the Hunter-Chaser for my daily ride...

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 10:53. Reason: Spacing for improved readability

Most Viewed