Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2017, 13:14   #1
ppr
BHPian

Mini Cooper S or BMW X1 as a daily driver?

Hi

I am looking to replace my daily drive car. At present, this is an i20 1.4 Petrol Automatic. This was basically bought for my wife. But I have ended up driving it almost all the time. Now 95% of the time, I drive it alone or with one passenger.
My other car is a VW Phaeton which I love and I own thanks to Akshay1234 and team BHP. So traveling with family is taken care of by that.

I would prefer a little nicer car with a lot better performance. I have zeroed in on the Mini Cooper S (with JCW remap) or the BMW X1 M Sport. Considering the likely rise in prices from 1 September, I thought it best to buy the car now. It will only be self driven.

Pros and Cons -
Mini is basically a 3 seater when I am driving. But very attractive to look at. I cannot configure it in spite of the expense because a custom car will take 4 months and they are not willing to commit a price.

BMW is a diesel (would prefer the zip of a petrol) and a little lacking in power compared to the Mini (when I factor in the JCW remap in the Mini). But it has the features I would like in the Mini but cannot get!

My heart says the Mini, while my brain says the X1.
Any thoughts are welcome.
ppr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 13:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mini Cooper S or BMW X1 as a daily driver?

Mini will get a lot of attention, if that's not a problem I don't see any case for X1 for your needs.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 13:40   #3
ppr
BHPian

The only thing is that Mini lacks Navigation, Heads Up display and a Reverse camera. All of which come with the X1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Mini will get a lot of attention, if that's not a problem I don't see any case for X1 for your needs.
The attention is the idea. I am a bit tired of being seen in the i20 which has given me sterling service for 3+ years.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th August 2017 at 13:43. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit the previous post within the 30 minute window to add more contents to it. Thanks!
ppr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 14:06   #4
BHPian

My good man ppr, how is this even a question? Let me save you some time. MINI COOPER S. That car gives so much confidence while driving it, makes you feel like the master of your domain (/Seinfeld). Also, a small, hard, hot hatch with the attitude of a sports car is the metaphor for literally everything in life.

Put the JCW exhaust on and it's like this little beagle who's been fed a pre-workout. Hear that thing roar. Hear it while you zip about with the precision of a veteran artist.

What's holding you back? Navigation? That's for pansy men who can't handle a map. HUD? What are you, playing a video game? Reverse camera? In a car the size of a shoe? Get the hell outta here.

Okay, I kid, I kid. But seriously, if you're into a Mini Cooper, I don't understand how any other car comes close, let alone a :shudder: diesel X1.

As for me, I'm counting the days, counting each one.
ach1lles is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 14:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Any reason for not considering the 330i?

As a self driven car, and something the wife can still take out - the Mini is pretty impressive a choice. Something different, and fun to drive in the city.
Yes, the X1 will be more practical, but you have the Phaeton for family needs.

Apart from the reverse camera, you can probably live without navigation (Google maps is far superior to BMW Nav) & HUD. Also given it's size, reverse camera isn't a necessity IMO. Parking sensors should do the trick but yes, you will have to be more careful.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 14:53   #6
BHPian

Have a look at the Volvo V40 cross country, in the T4 spec with a polestar map. It is not as capable as the mini, but is easier to live with, and should be cheaper too.

BMW 330i over the X1 anyday, if you don't need the SUV stance or ground clearance.
Get the M body kit if you need more attention 😁
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 14:54   #7
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

Apart from the reverse camera, you can probably live without navigation (Google maps is far superior to BMW Nav) & HUD. Also given it's size, reverse camera isn't a necessity IMO. Parking sensors should do the trick but yes, you will have to be more careful.
Just have been so used to a reverse camera, seems strange to be without one. Also paying close to 50L for a car without a reverse cam feels ridiculous. Almost like a Mercedes of the previous gen. Agree on the Navigation but I find the HUP rather cool. And cool is one of the reasons for choosing a Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Have a look at the Volvo V40 cross country, in the T4 spec with a polestar map. It is not as capable as the mini, but is easier to live with, and should be cheaper too.

BMW 330i over the X1 anyday, if you don't need the SUV stance or ground clearance.
Get the M body kit if you need more attention
I tried out the V40 and the Cross Country. Not that much Zip. They are not selling the petrol engine there or that was my initial choice. I also toyed with getting a Polestar and selling the Phaeton. Most of the reviews say the interiors are outdated and it is a lot more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
This was one of the cars I considered initially. My friend has a 328i which is almost the same car which is rebadged I think. Only about a 5 year old model with a new badge. Likely to change in the next couple of years. Also a sedan when I would prefer a hatch! A bit easier to get around in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
My good man ppr, how is this even a question?
Thats what my heart says

Mod Note: 2 Smilies per post please
Please also use the Multi-quote feature when responding instead of creating new back to back posts

Last edited by theMAG : 20th August 2017 at 01:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged/trimmed to 2 smileys
Old 19th August 2017, 15:25   #8
BHPian

I would say that you should wait for the VRS, just to see how good it is or also try the Polo GTI.
I just feel that 50L is way too much money for a Mini.
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 16:03   #9
BHPian

I think you should take a look at the A class and the CLA or maybe the GLA. I think these cars are pretty desirable and I find the A and CLA in red very desirable and attention gathering. You should be able to get both of them fully loaded.

Another option with a great engine and a special feel is the Jaguar XE. It has a 237bhp petrol engine packing good pep and jaguars do tend to stand out in the crowd since they are less common than the BMW.

X1 is not suited to your purpose and it would be best you check out these options. As for the mini if your heart is set on it no car will come close to it in pure emotional appeal. To get your desired configuration I think you should check with other dealers in other cities they might have your confirguration ready saving you from the dilemma. You can get the car registered in your city even after buying from somewhere else. Karan did this for his 328i which was not available in mumbai at that time and he got it from Kochi. Cheers.
ToyotaFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 16:09   #10
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I think you should take a look at the A class and the CLA or the GLA

X1 is not suited to your purpose and it would be best you check out these options. As for the mini if your heart is set on it no car will come close to it in pure emotional appeal. To get your desired configuration I think you should check with other dealers in other cities they might have your confirguration ready saving you from the dilemma. You can get the car registered in your city even after buying from somewhere else. Karan did this for his 328i which was not available in mumbai at that time and he got it from Kochi. Cheers.
That's a great idea! Let me check Mini dealers in other cities.
I will also check out the XE.
I rented the GLA from Zoomcar for a week. No pep. The CLA is just not comfortable in the front seat.
ppr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 16:29   #11
BHPian

Why not have a look at S60 Polestar , it's super fun to drive when compared to X1 or Mini.You will definitely get exclusivity and attention.
mjumrani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2017, 16:56   #12
Team-BHP Support

Get the Cooper S with the JCW pack, you will not regret it. The pops and bangs in Sport mode along with the almost-straight-through JCW exhaust will keep you thoroughly entertained for years!

And since you will be the only person in the car, accompanied by a passenger only on occasion, it makes no sense getting a BMW 330i or a X1 or any sedan / small SUV. The Mini's small footprint (about the same as the Elite i20's) makes it the ideal city runabout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Why not have a look at S60 Polestar , it's super fun to drive when compared to X1 or Mini.You will definitely get exclusivity and attention.
The Polestar is fun in a straight line as a result of its sheer power, but it has nothing on the Mini around the bends. It feels large, lumpy and lethargic to change direction. The Mini on the other hand darts into corners and changes direction like a fly. The Mini is infinitely more fun than the Polestar and I can vouch for it.

The Polestar is a superb car though. The exhaust note and the general feel of the car is hard to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
What's holding you back? Navigation? That's for pansy men who can't handle a map. HUD? What are you, playing a video game? Reverse camera? In a car the size of a shoe? Get the hell outta here.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 19th August 2017 at 17:06.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 12:42   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mini Cooper S or BMW X1 as a daily driver?

Let me put it this way - you'll have several opportunities in life to own a BMW X1 / other SUVs. But you won't have too many to own a Mini Cooper S. Just go for it - the Cooper S suits your requirements to the T and is an astonishingly satisfying car to drive. Suhass & I had taken the previous-gen Cooper out on a rainy day and had so much fun that I still count that as one of the most pleasurable drives of my life. On Indian roads, a Cooper S is probably more fun to drive than a Ferrari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
The only thing is that Mini lacks Navigation, Heads Up display and a Reverse camera.
1. Navigation = Google Maps. My car has navigation & I still use my smartphone.

2. Head-up display = Nice to have, but not a must-have.

3. Reversing camera = Agreed. But the Cooper is a tiny car, thus hardly difficult to park.

Suggestion: Since you bought a pre-worshipped Phaeton, you are obviously comfortable with used cars. Would suggest buying a pre-owned Cooper S. None of them have high mileage anyway, due to its niche nature. You'll save quite a packet. I see a couple on sale in Bombay.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 12:49   #14
ppr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Suggestion: Since you bought a pre-worshipped Phaeton, you are obviously comfortable with used cars. Would suggest buying a pre-owned Cooper S. None of them have high mileage anyway, due to its niche nature. You'll save quite a packet. I see a couple on sale in Bombay.
I actually prefer preowned pre worshipped cars. Because I believe that you lose a lot when you leave the showroom with a new car.
I also found a preowned one which I preferred to the new one I am getting. I made an offer. Alas, it was sold before my offer even reached the owner. And yes, I would have saved a packet. All the other used ones available across the country are pre 2015 which did not have such a great engine.

Thanks for the moral boost
ppr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 22:38   #15
BHPian

Pick up a good pre owned luxury beauty for 60% of the cost, keep 10% towards any unexpected maintenance issues, invest the balance 30% in good potential stocks and repeat process every 3 years
KAUBMW7 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed