Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2017, 19:05   #1
BHPian

What car for 50 lakhs?

I'm currently hunting for a new car in the premium bracket. Over the last 3-4 months I have searched and driven almost all the cars in the range starting from 35L to 60L and have not been blown away by any one car that satisfied me completely.

I started looking for a new set to replace my current Honda City (previously owned the c200). Since this was a non-hurried decision, I wanted to be completely satisfied with my demands and the choices thereof. The list in no order but extremely important:
- A large SUV or a spacious sedan
- Non Japanese and non Korean
- Driver centric
- Spacious and powerful enough to lug about 4 people
- Sunroof
- Memory seats
- Largish boot (my Skoda Laura is the benchmark)
- Good sound and media system
- Large infotainment console
- In-built NAV (not a deal breaker)
- Active and Passive safety features

With this list and checking out almost everything, I firmed up on a shortlist of Endeavour 3.2 Titanium, BMW x1 M-sport, BMW GT Luxury and the Audi A4 Technology edition. I don't have a high running so the fuel type in not an important consideration. I did not test the 3-series or the new C Class since I already have owned one and wanted a new brand. There are also heavy discounts on some Mercs, Jaguar XE, X3, A6 etc but since most of these are on their last legs, I did not give them a second glance.

Costs after discounts:
Ford Endy - 37L
X1 - 45L
GT - 51L
A4 - 46L

Since price is not the most important consideration, please advise me on the other filters and add your thoughts on the options. Previous ownership reports, experiences or even some known WOM will help. I'm not keen to own unregistered dealer cars or 2016 models.
Old 30th December 2017, 19:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: What car for 50 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khushrav View Post
- Driver centric
- Sunroof
- Memory seats
Why did you not consider Skoda Kodiaq? I think it's a good car, only thing which we enthusiasts can complain is detuned engine. As per the official review, the power is decent enough for everyday driving.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2017, 21:13   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Driver centric
- Sunroof
- Memory seats
I second Naren; the Kodiaq fits your requirements to the T. Plus, as you've already owned a Skoda earlier, you are well familiar with the perils of owning their cars. See if you are willing to consider a Skoda and if so, drive the Kodiaq. You'll be impressed.

Other top choices are the Endeavour 3.2 & X1. However, all 3 are different (7-seater monocoque, 5-seater monocoque, 7-seater body-on-frame) so you must finally pick the one you like the best after test-driving them.

Among the sedans, do consider the Passat (under your budget) & 5-Series (just about fits in). The VW is competent, although very understated. The 5-Series has an ugly face, yet will give you lots of driving & ownership pleasure.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th December 2017, 21:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2018 at 09:57.
Durango Dude is online now   Received Infraction
Old 30th December 2017, 21:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Definitely go have a look at the '17 Volvo XC60. It's quite a package & surprisingly at a brilliant price!
Old 30th December 2017, 21:59   #6
BHPian

Why not consider Land Rover Discovery. It is best of both worlds. Go for higher trim and it will meet X1 M Sport as well as Endeavour.
Saying this right from experience of owning X1 M Sport as well as Endeavour. In spite of all the niggles and bad experience, Discovery stands out.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2018 at 09:58. Reason: typo
Wanderers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 07:31   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Why did you not consider Skoda Kodiaq? I think it's a good car, only thing which we enthusiasts can complain is detuned engine. As per the official review, the power is decent enough for everyday driving.
Somehow, the Kodiaq did not appeal to me though the tug of re-owning a Skoda does sound appealing. Yes, being a driver first, the detuned engine is a bit of a put off too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Other top choices are the Endeavour 3.2 & X1. However, all 3 are different (7-seater monocoque, 5-seater monocoque, 7-seater body-on-frame) so you must finally pick the one you like the best after test-driving them.

Among the sedans, do consider the Passat (under your budget) & 5-Series (just about fits in). The VW is competent, although very understated. The 5-Series has an ugly face, yet will give you lots of driving & ownership pleasure.
Its almost a tussle between the End and the GT right now. The 5-series is not in contention since it starts at 60L+ OTR Mumbai. Yes, the Passat is a good option though not a 'heart' choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Definitely go have a look at the '17 Volvo XC60. It's quite a package & surprisingly at a brilliant price!
Saw it yesterday; extremely competent and my wife was blown way by the quality and gizmos. But at 69.9L OTR it just does not fit my budget.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st December 2017 at 11:01.
Old 31st December 2017, 08:20   #8
BHPian

May be, fellow BHPian votings would be of some help. A list below in voted order.

1. Skoda Kodiac (47 votes)
2. BMW 5 series (42)
3. Mercedes E Class (27)
4. Volvo XC60 (21)
5. Volvo V90 Cross country (19)
6. VW Tiguan (13)
7. VW Passat (6)
8. Lexus ES 300H (3)
9. Audi A5 (1)
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 08:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Costs after discounts:

Ford Endy - 37L

X1 - 45L

GT - 51L

A4 - 46L

I would pick the Ford ahead of all the short listed cars.

I am not a big fan of the X1, the all new 3 series G 20 is slated for a 2018-19 launch, expect the current GT to be out of production in a year.

I would actually push the budget by another 5 lakhs look at the 5 series and the new E class. Both different, but both excel in their own space.

Give the Kodiaq another look. It probably be the right compromise in terms of quality and price.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 20:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: What car for 50 lakhs?

Surprised that no one suggested the Skoda Superb. It looks superb, L&K variant has all the features and, the engine options are also very good. It's 2.0 TDi variant has the 184 HP tune unlike the Kodiaq's.
But Skoda ownership is not very straight forward, it depends heavily on the dealer to get a good aftersales experience.
Ford Endeavor 3.2 AT is the next practical option. I wouldn't go for the X1, as it is too small for the price.
XC60 is also a very good option and getting service shouldn't be a problem in Mumbai, but price is above your budget.

Last edited by F150 : 1st January 2018 at 20:39.
Old 3rd January 2018, 21:13   #11
BHPian

Am in the same boat. Toss up between X1 Msport, GT and a great deal on the Audi A6. All in between 48-53. Current cars are both VW, so the Tiguan and Kodiaq felt overly familiar. Checked out the A5 sportback. Direct competitor to the GT, and I really liked it, but way too expensive for nothing but the looks and the virtual cockpit. Don't get why Audi is wasting an opportunity. Maybe the CBU route reduces flexibility.
Old 4th January 2018, 15:05   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly - Audi Mumbai has average service levels, and the A6 is a little too old in the tooth. There are some good deals on the A4 though and I'd expect it to be fairly reliable too. The new Q5 should be out too, but it'll be expensive.

The BMW 3GT seems like a fabulous choice, but it's a little dated. If you're ok with that then the 3GT and X3 (around 49L after discounts) are good deals! Also - maybe you'll get the 520D Sportline for a decent discount which may be worth considering as well - no harm asking and seeing if it'll work out.

Mercedes GLC could be a decent bet too.

Volvo's are still quite expensive landed and may not be worth it.

Overall, would recommend you push for the 520D and pick one up when the discounts start flowing in - the year has changed and I'd expect a decent discount on them.
Old 4th January 2018, 15:37   #13
Team-BHP Support

If the Kodiak isn't appealing enough, I would suggest you consider stretching your budget and getting the 2017/18 Volvo XC60.

Word on the street is that it's an absolutely fantastic piece of kit!
Old 6th January 2018, 08:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

Overall, would recommend you push for the 520D and pick one up when the discounts start flowing in - the year has changed and I'd expect a decent discount on them.
You are reading my mind. If the 520d come within striking range, I'll pick it up. BTW, just for all's knowledge, I'm thinking of using the BMW 360 package since it affords great flexibility in case the car needs a change after 3-4 years. Am getting a deal of 10L DP and about 70k per month for the GT.
Khushrav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2018, 21:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
You are reading my mind. If the 520d come within striking range, I'll pick it up. BTW, just for all's knowledge, I'm thinking of using the BMW 360 package since it affords great flexibility in case the car needs a change after 3-4 years. Am getting a deal of 10L DP and about 70k per month for the GT.
My pick would be 530i given the additional horses, refinement and potential dangers of regulations against diesel. Have you checked offers, as there might be more discounts on the 530i vs 520d? You can also make it easier to buy with a 7 year loan from BMW. With the 3GT, do consider the 330i version. If you’re going with the 320d GT, I would rather chose the A6 or XF Pure as both of them will be in the 320d GT price ballpark after discounts, but a segment higher. Also, the 3 series is due for replacement soon so you’re not buying much more time compared to the ageing A6.

However, the smart option would be the L&K Superb.
ac-cobra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks