Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2018, 09:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 330i vs Mercedes C43 AMG vs BMW 530i vs something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I must jump in here..... It's been in the market for a while? Will be replaced soon?
All VW group cars have a 5 year life cycle with a facelift at the end of 3 years. The 2013-14 Octavia received its facelift in 2017 as did the VRS. The next model change is due in 2019.

On another note, the MQB platform originally brought in to reduce costs isn't quite the cost saver that VW thought it would be.

Last edited by AMG Power : 20th January 2018 at 09:31.
Old 20th January 2018, 12:09   #17
Team-BHP Support

Based on the comments above and adding my shortlist

C43 - good handling, excellent grip, practical
XF - Very impressive handling, interiors not as good, and speak to other Jag owners re: service in Bangalore - I loved the car
S5 - Lovely looking, handles well but slightly remote experience, I am told

Another outlier

Porsche Macan - practical, great handling but could be expensive with options added.
Old 20th January 2018, 12:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMotoristDelh View Post
If I was in your position, I'd rather get a 330i,M sport, get it fully kitted with M exhaust and carbon fibre trim and 19 inch black alloys, make it look like a proper M3
I'm not much for modifications, wouldn't bother messing with stock cars.
I use them as I buy them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Based on the comments above and adding my shortlist

C43 - good handling, excellent grip, practical
XF - Very impressive handling, interiors not as good, and speak to other Jag owners re: service in Bangalore - I loved the car
S5 - Lovely looking, handles well but slightly remote experience, I am told
Porsche Macan - practical, great handling but could be expensive with options added.
Test driving the S5 today and C43 on monday. Will most probably take a call between these two. Porsche, never for daily use bro...
Jag, I don't know why everyone is suggesting this. I would only buy this for the brand/snob value(if that is what I'm after), not for performance.

Last edited by ajmat : 20th January 2018 at 13:35.
Old 20th January 2018, 13:36   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blore_boy View Post
Jag, I don't know why everyone is suggesting this. I would only buy this for the brand/snob value(if that is what I'm after), not for performance.
Please drive it even at least for the experience of its balance and handling
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 14:36   #20
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Dude! Thanks!
The S5 looks brilliant! Already called up Audi, he is bringing it by my place for a test drive tomorrow....

Will start going through the many reviews for it right away and see how it stacks up against the C43 AMG.
Few days ago I tested the S5 on the same road where I usually drive through in my cla45. The S5 handles like crap!! I couldn't even find a better word for explaining how bad it handles the turns. You can feel the weight you're carrying behind you and it's all over the place if you take a wider turn at speeds over 90kmph. I'm used to making that same turn in my cla at about 120+ without a car in the world and this one was like a boat.

You should really test them both one after the other (if possible) for best comparison. I'd suggest you pick the AMG, sounds much much better than the S5 specially as you'll be keeping the car stock, that audi is totally muted. If you like nice handling cars, stay away from the AUDI.
VSD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 17:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
All VW group cars have a 5 year life cycle with a facelift at the end of 3 years. The 2013-14 Octavia received its facelift in 2017 as did the VRS. The next model change is due in 2019.

On another note, the MQB platform originally brought in to reduce costs isn't quite the cost saver that VW thought it would be.
Hmmm. You and Lamborghini have a point... but while buying a car today, it's a bit too much in my opinion to consider the next generation that will come after 2-3 years....
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 17:55   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm. You and Lamborghini have a point... but while buying a car today, it's a bit too much in my opinion to consider the next generation that will come after 2-3 years....
I agree with you on that, but for a lot of people they don't want the pinch of the next generation everytime they see it. I'm sure a lot of recent F10 buyers also feel similarly when the G30 came out even though they got a fantastic deal!

Personally it's not a big issue (we had booked the vRS too - just cancelled the booking yesterday) for everyday cars - our Octavia was bought in 2007, Laura in 2012 - both when the new models were out / soon to be launched.

But when it comes to the segment above then it plays a much bigger role in terms of freshness of the product as it's a more emotional buy than a logical one.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 21:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...while buying a car today, it's a bit too much in my opinion to consider the next generation...
My point is about the date for next model change which can happen even in end 2018 as against "not happening anytime now".

As for buying a car, model changes in my books have no relevance - you like a car, you buy it. Model changes do not matter even if it is due tomorrow!
Old 24th January 2018, 11:51   #24
GT3
BHPian

I would suggest you to look at a pre-owned M3 or C43 or C63. Two year old examples are being sold at half their on-road price. But be sure to do a background check on the ownership details as there is a huge possibility that they have been used as media cars. The advantage of the pre-owned route is that your depreciation hit is much less if plan to sell it after 3-4 years.
GT3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 13:25   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 View Post
I would suggest you to look at a pre-owned M3 or C43 or C63. Two year old examples are being sold at half their on-road price. But be sure to do a background check on the ownership details as there is a huge possibility that they have been used as media cars. The advantage of the pre-owned route is that your depreciation hit is much less if plan to sell it after 3-4 years.

You forgot to mention pre-owned RS5

I have actually been pretty closed to the idea of pre-owned cars but now that I have put my RS5 up for sale on tbhp classified and considering new and lateral upgrades, it is actually quite an eye opener and worthy consideration in this segment. Depreciation on performance cars is HUGE!
The key is to be able to find good used examples, there are several low mileage ones around that are well kept but unfortunately often sold by dealers and not individuals which makes the whole process worse.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 13:35   #26
GT3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

You forgot to mention pre-owned RS5
In in his initial post he has shortlisted only 4 door sedans, so I didn't suggest any coupes. Also how is the reliability of the RS5 especially the DSG.
Old 24th January 2018, 13:41   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 View Post
In in his initial post he has shortlisted only 4 door sedans, so I didn't suggest any coupes. Also how is the reliability of the RS5 especially the DSG.
Reliability has been excellent. My car is covered under the 5-year extended warranty and runs on the new DSG so haven't had any issues. Maintenance costs have been just the scheduled service costs and regular wear and tear.
This was my first Audi, have had only Merc and BMW before this. I would put Audi as the most reliable one of the 3 from my personal experience.

Last edited by Sahil : 24th January 2018 at 13:45.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 14:01   #28

I drove the S5, but the C43 was not available for test drive, instead they let me drive the GLC 43. Here is what I have to say about the two.
Note: I'm no expert, far from it infact, this is the first time I drove an automatic, let alone a V6 powered car.

Audi S5 Sportback
The fact that it is above the C class/A4/3 series segment is clearly visible. Based on the A5 platform, the exterior aesthetics of the car is just brilliant!
The GT like slope on the back makes it look very sporty, but at the same time the folks at Audi have made it look very polished and elegant. If one were to simply decide based on the looks of the car, the S5 would win hands down, especially considering the C class and its appearance which is pretty common place(atleast in the bigger cities).

Interiors look very sterile and business like, would have preferred a little more flare in the internal styling, but mind you, it still looks good and the materials used show that this falls in a higher segment, and accordingly the fit and finish is good.
Has all the features one would expect from a car of this segment, so I'd rather mention the features it has over the C43, that stood out for me,
Have to start with the Audi Virtual Cockpit (ofcourse!), the way they have integrated any and all necessary info and visuals into it is just brilliant. It shows everything you need while driving, yet it doesn't look crowded or confusing. Very easy to toggle and change based on your needs and the driving mode. Audi has clearly done a very good job with this.
The C43 has the usual C class console, with the two analog dials and a small screen, which isn't bad, but it is no match to Audi's virtual cockpit(it even displays a full map with GPS!)

3 zone climate control, compared to the C43's 2 zone climate control.
The boot/trunk is completely automatic and can be controlled by the remote control(no need for my puny hands), whereas the C43 only has remote opening, but no closing.
The center console/screen is much bigger than the C43's, it is noticeably bigger and looks more advanced.
And finally, the S5 has wireless charging.
The tech Audi has provided definitely makes it a very enticing pick

Cannot comment much about the drive as this is the first time I drove something like this, I didn't push it much and was very careful.
Definitely fast, but can't say much about handling, cause I don't have any comparison.

Mercedes C43 AMG
The external look of the C43 is nothing special, and to an untrained eye it pretty much looks the same as the regular C class. But AMG has done a few things to set it apart, namely an aggressive front bumper with bigger air vents and changed rear bumper as well, with dual exhausts beneath it.
Usual AMG badging sprinkled here and there.
The sporty AMG steering wheel.
Finally, the diamond grill in the front! I liked this the moment I saw it and would go so far as to say this looks better than the grill on the bigger C63S.
But if making a style statment is the objective, then one would have to steer clear of this car, and look to the S5.

The interiors in this car are very well appointed, the leather on the dashboard with red stiching, and the open pore wood convering the center console make this car look a lot more luxurious and fetching.
Pretty much all surfaces are covered with leather, unlike the plastic used in the S5.
And the cherry on top are the very sporty red seat belts, even though this is essentially a sleeper car, the belts give it away, and I like it!!

Panaromic sun roof, compared to the small one in the S5
Auto parking, again missing in the S5
And the AMG ride control sports suspension, this is definitely something that adds to the overall experience of driving the C43. It is adjustable and hence you can make it stiffer or softer as you see fit.

Having said all of the above, you don't choose the C43 for its interiors or styling, you choose it for the drive.
Though I haven't been able to drive this car, the little time I spent driving the GLC43, I really liked its handling, control and acceleration. And based on every comparative review I have read online and the people I have spoken to, the C43 is a much better drivers car when compared to the S5.

So, this is as far as what I could find out about these cars.
My choice boils down to a S5 Sportback with better external styling, a host of extra tech and slightly subdued performace at a marginally lower cost(by Rs.3 lakh)
OR
The C43 AMG, with MUCH better interiors, lesser tech and greater performance, and not to mention the higher cost.

In the end, I am looking for a great driving experience and am willing to forgo the S5 tech. So I'll be choosing the C43 AMG (I only hope I'm not overpaying for the extra performance!)

Thanks guys for all the help, and guiding me in deciding what is it that I exactly want.

P.S : Photos post delivery will be put up!
blore_boy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 02:03   #29
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
In the end, I am looking for a great driving experience and am willing to forgo the S5 tech. So I'll be choosing the C43 AMG (I only hope I'm not overpaying for the extra performance!)

Thanks guys for all the help, and guiding me in deciding what is it that I exactly want.

P.S : Photos post delivery will be put up!
Congrats on the car buddy, Between the two, i'd have picked the C43 as well. While the tech and interior styling is superior in every Audi compared to Mercedes, the drive is no comparison whatsoever.
I daily my CLA45 and every time I tested another car in the segment I've always thought of how good that pocket rocket is compared to other cars it's segment. Welcome to the AMG club man !!
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2018, 14:07   #30

Thanks a lot man!! Can't wait to get my hands on the beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
While the tech and interior styling is superior in every Audi compared to Mercedes, the drive is no comparison whatsoever.
In this case actually, the C43 has far better interiors than the S5, I guess this adds to the extra cost the C43 has over the S5. Interiors look way more sporty and suit the nature of the C43.

Also, I wanted to ask you how easy is it to use the CLA45 as a daily driver?
When I asked the folks at AMG about the CLA45, they immediately discouraged me from even thinking about it, telling me that it is simply too much for daily driving, not to mention the even lower ground clearance and tighter suspension.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks