Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 12:26   #1

BMW 330i vs Mercedes C43 AMG vs BMW 530i vs something else?

Mod note: Please post under relevant sub section while opening new threads. Thanks.

Hi guys,
I've decided to buy my first German car and will be cancelling my booking on the Octavia VRS.

And I'd like some advice, as I'm a little confused about which car I should buy.

I don't travel much and the car will be used for my daily commute and around town in general, but I do care about performance and handling and want a zippy car that I will have fun driving

Option 1: BMW 330i M Sport Edition
Seemed like a no brainer, best in class handling and driving experience.
The 252 hp engine is really enticing.
But the little research that I have done tells me that the current 3 series is at the end of its product cycle and the will be replaced in a year or so.

Option 2: Merc C43 AMG
I know, I know, they are not comparable, but I am willing to shell out the extra and grab this.
But wondering about the practicality of spending so much more for an extra of 110bhp
Also, much better interiors and in cabin features than the 3 series

Option 3: BMW 530i Sport Line
Difference in cost between this and the 330i isn't much, and the technology/features on the 5 series is far more than the 3 series.
Will the driving experience be drastically reduced when compared to the 330i??

I'm very much confused, but I am sure that I want to pick up one of these cars, and any help in making a decision will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th January 2018 at 12:38.
blore_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 13:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 330i vs Mercedes C43 AMG vs BMW 530i vs something else?

Quote:
will be cancelling my booking on the Octavia VRS
There are some ownership threads about VRS & Official review, hope you have gone through

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...00-kms-up.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

You have not mentioned reasons for cancellation for Skoda, unless it's because of snob value, do consider your decision again as I find it most value per Bhp fun car which is what you are looking at.

Of the three cars you have mentioned, 5 series will stay fresh for longest and is loaded well with new gizmos. But if you are looking at outright performance, C43 AMG or it's cheaper cousin, AMG CLA 45 is also worth checking. Do post more about your priorities and budget.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th January 2018 at 13:06.
Turbanator is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 13:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blore_boy View Post
[b]
I don't travel much and the car will be used for my daily commute and around town in general, but I do care about performance and handling and want a zippy car that I will have fun driving
Maybe an irrelevant question and there may be other considerations you have, but you have mentioned you don't travel much and the car is going to be used in the city.

Assuming the city being talked about is Bangalore(from your profile), I cannot think of a commute anywhere in the city where you be able to appreciate the performance and handling of the cars being talked about. So is it not a bit of an overkill? Of course, if you do plan to go on long drives, then it is a different matter.

If it is purely for the brand value, I think you can extend your choices to other models also.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 14:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a nice position to be in .

You haven't mentioned about other needs. VRS, 330i, C43 and 530i - all good cars but each of these cars falls in different segments. Performance-wise the 530i will be the slowest, but its also the most luxurious and comfortable and newest of the lot. There's not much to separate the VRS and the 330i performance wise, but price-wise there is quite a difference. The C43 is the most expensive and will be the most expensive to maintain and quickest to depreciate. I don't know how kindly it will take to regular 91 octane petrol and Bangalore's slow crawling traffic. Quite frankly the C43 is overkill if you are looking to use it for your daily commute in Bangalore. This also applies to the other cars, but they are mainstream cars unlike the C43.

If you are not after badge/snob value, the VRS is the car to buy. Since you mention you want to take your first step into luxury brands, pick the one that your heart wants. C43 and beyond is best saved for later purchases once you've experienced and tasted luxury brand ownership.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 18th January 2018 at 14:16.
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 14:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, in terms of performance etc., a stock vRS will keep you very happy owing to it's more practical nature as compared to the 330i & 530i.
However, keep in mind though that even the vRS is a product that should be replaced soon as it's been in the market for a while!

Between the 5 & the 3: the 3 series is more chuckable in the city, though the 5 is newer and definitely a segment above.
However, given your requirements the new Jaguar XF may be worth a look given many reports claim it to be the better driving machine compared to the G30 5 series.

If money isn't an issue, the C43 seems like a good bet! It looks the part, and is a lot quicker than the other cars in your shortlist.

If I were you, I'd pick between these two; and also check with the Audi dealership if they have any deals on the S6 / S5.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 14:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Why not the Volvo or Jag? Been waiting to ask this to some. Wont XE Portfolio be a goo choice too? ( Yup these are not Germans but something one would look at ?).
jkdas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 15:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
However, keep in mind though that even the vRS is a product that should be replaced soon as it's been in the market for a while!
I must jump in here..... It's been in the market for a while? Will be replaced soon?

It's been in the market for 4 months. The Octavia on which it is based has been around for a few months more.

If you're referring to the MQB octavia which has been around since 2013-14, while it may be 4 years, there is very little chance of it being replaced anytime soon.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 16:07   #8
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are primarily looking for a fun to drive car and don't really care about the space inside, I would suggest the Jaguar XE 25t Portfolio. The XE is equally chuckable as the 3-Series, has good dynamics and packs in quite a lot of oomph factor.

But I still agree with the majority here, the Octavia vRS puts a strong case for itself. The Octy vRS has some serious mod potential and is a car which is difficult to ignore.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 16:39   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice position to be in, indeed!

I don't know how updated your profile is, but it says your current garage has a Hyundai Accent, Honda Brio, Chevrolet Cruze & Nissan Micra.

If that's the case, just go ahead with the Octavia vRS. It is a serious upgrade over anything you currently have, and a beautifully sorted performance machine.

From the options that you've listed, it's clear that budget isn't a problem (the C43 AMG starts at 80 lakhs). If that's the case:

Porsche Cayman or C43 AMG (I'd prefer the Cayman for its poise & balance). Take the Cayman for a spin. You'll find that it's more fun than a Ferrari in Indian conditions.

Other options you can consider are the Audi S5 & Ford Mustang (if American muscle is your thing).

If you need some practicality with performance, also check out the 530d M-Sport. One test-drive in it and you'll forget the 530i.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 17:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 330i vs Mercedes C43 AMG vs BMW 530i vs something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I must jump in here..... It's been in the market for a while? Will be replaced soon?

It's been in the market for 4 months. The Octavia on which it is based has been around for a few months more.

If you're referring to the MQB octavia which has been around since 2013-14, while it may be 4 years, there is very little chance of it being replaced anytime soon.
Sorry buddy, didn't mean that the vRS is an old model. Was talking more about the platform on which it's based.

I would expect that Skoda to replace the MQB Octavia in about 2 years or so, when the platform is 6 years old (as is generally the case with German manufacturers), and with that the vRS too will be gone and replaced with an all new model.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 21:01   #11
VSD
BHPian

Quote:

Option 1: BMW 330i M Sport Edition

Option 2: Merc C43 AMG

Option 3: BMW 530i Sport Line
As per your above mentioned requirements it seems you want a fun and peppy car for everyday use. I'd suggest you look at the 530d. That car has lots of power for everyday use while being equally comfortable and efficient. It's packed with luxury with that awesome feeling Nappa Leather, next level tech inside out, specially the car parking tricks it's got with the new digital display key.

If you were keen on looking into the c43 amg budget there are few other options from the Mercedes stable, I'll list them below-
  1. CLA45 AMG - This car is total monster when it comes to having most amount of fun while still keeping everything under your control at all times. This can be good or bad compared to how you want to take it.
  2. GLC43 AMG - Now this option is best of both worlds, gives you a powerful engine, nice sounding exhaust, higher ground clearance, brilliant road presence with those smashing looks (IMO) for all the snob value you'd need.
  3. C43 AMG - This car while giving you same amount of power as the other two is somehow not as chuckable as the cla45 and doesn't offer the practicality of the glc43. So, this would be my pick only if I want a sedan and the extra few mm of space inside over the cla.
  4. C300 Cabriolet - Well this option is mainly for snob value, It's a convertible as well as being a coupe, it grabs attention everywhere and this may be good option for nice long drives to the hills.
Polestar is a very good option too, it sounds nice and looks striking if you get the special blue colour. There might be few cars left with dealers and you can also negotiate a good deal on the car. It'll also save you good chunk of money over the AMG options.

I cannot advise on the VRS as I haven't driven it, so no idea how it drives, though it does look great deal at that price.

My pick from all these would be the 530d, it's just come out in the market, has almost every feature possible and will always keep you & your right foot happy for many miles to come.

VSD
VSD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 13:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
There are some ownership threads about VRS & Official review, hope you have gone through

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...00-kms-up.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

You have not mentioned reasons for cancellation for Skoda, unless it's because of snob value, do consider your decision again as I find it most value per Bhp fun car which is what you are looking at.

Of the three cars you have mentioned, 5 series will stay fresh for longest and is loaded well with new gizmos. But if you are looking at outright performance, C43 AMG or it's cheaper cousin, AMG CLA 45 is also worth checking. Do post more about your priorities and budget.
Looking to buy a car purely for driving pleasure.
Decided against the 5 series, despite the tech and gizmos(which i wish were in the 330i), because in the end the 5 series is meant to be a chauffeur driven car, with more emphasis on back seat luxury.
But, I will be driving the car, so I don't see the need for this.

Initially I was happy with the octavia vrs, even though I don't particularly like FWD.
But this has been simmering in the back of my mind ever since I dropped 50k on the booking, and in the end figured I don't exactly buy a car often, so let me just pick up something really good. I mean I have never spent on an expensive/brand name car, and I am not getting any younger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Maybe an irrelevant question and there may be other considerations you have, but you have mentioned you don't travel much and the car is going to be used in the city.

Assuming the city being talked about is Bangalore(from your profile), I cannot think of a commute anywhere in the city where you be able to appreciate the performance and handling of the cars being talked about. So is it not a bit of an overkill? Of course, if you do plan to go on long drives, then it is a different matter.

If it is purely for the brand value, I think you can extend your choices to other models also.
True, my daily commute isn't much, but I would like to take this on long drives every so often, even if not everyday.
It is not for the brand value that I am looking to buy a german, but you must admit, a BMW or Merc built is definitely better than a Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Its a nice position to be in .

You haven't mentioned about other needs. VRS, 330i, C43 and 530i - all good cars but each of these cars falls in different segments. Performance-wise the 530i will be the slowest, but its also the most luxurious and comfortable and newest of the lot. There's not much to separate the VRS and the 330i performance wise, but price-wise there is quite a difference. The C43 is the most expensive and will be the most expensive to maintain and quickest to depreciate. I don't know how kindly it will take to regular 91 octane petrol and Bangalore's slow crawling traffic. Quite frankly the C43 is overkill if you are looking to use it for your daily commute in Bangalore. This also applies to the other cars, but they are mainstream cars unlike the C43.

If you are not after badge/snob value, the VRS is the car to buy. Since you mention you want to take your first step into luxury brands, pick the one that your heart wants. C43 and beyond is best saved for later purchases once you've experienced and tasted luxury brand ownership.
Decided against the 530i, as it doesn't suit my purpose.
Why would the C43 depreciate the most?
Thanks for the advise, will ponder over this further

Quote:
Honestly, in terms of performance etc., a stock vRS will keep you very happy owing to it's more practical nature as compared to the 330i & 530i.

Between the 5 & the 3: the 3 series is more chuckable in the city, though the 5 is newer and definitely a segment above.
However, given your requirements the new Jaguar XF may be worth a look given many reports claim it to be the better driving machine compared to the G30 5 series.

If money isn't an issue, the C43 seems like a good bet! It looks the part, and is a lot quicker than the other cars in your shortlist.

If I were you, I'd pick between these two; and also check with the Audi dealership if they have any deals on the S6 / S5.
I'm not sure if the XF's drive/handling/experince is comparable with the 330i, but I haven't driven the XF
Don't want to pick up a discontinued s5/s6 even if they have a good deal on it, thanks nontheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Why not the Volvo or Jag? Been waiting to ask this to some. Wont XE Portfolio be a goo choice too? ( Yup these are not Germans but something one would look at ?).
Bro, I don't know much about volvo(I can still only think of buses when I hear the name, lol!), but I will look into it before taking a decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice position to be in, indeed!

I don't know how updated your profile is, but it says your current garage has a Hyundai Accent, Honda Brio, Chevrolet Cruze & Nissan Micra.

If that's the case, just go ahead with the Octavia vRS. It is a serious upgrade over anything you currently have, and a beautifully sorted performance machine.

From the options that you've listed, it's clear that budget isn't a problem (the C43 AMG starts at 80 lakhs). If that's the case:

Porsche Cayman or C43 AMG (I'd prefer the Cayman for its poise & balance). Take the Cayman for a spin. You'll find that it's more fun than a Ferrari in Indian conditions.

Other options you can consider are the Audi S5 & Ford Mustang (if American muscle is your thing).

If you need some practicality with performance, also check out the 530d M-Sport. One test-drive in it and you'll forget the 530i.
Wow! The list really is old, I'm only holding on to the Cruze from that list. Infact that is the car I intend to replace now.
Wouldn't buy a Porsche for daily use, but I know how tempting that is
Mustang, I felt is a bit overrated, and I'm seriously not getting enough for what it costs on road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
As per your above mentioned requirements it seems you want a fun and peppy car for everyday use. I'd suggest you look at the 530d. That car has lots of power for everyday use while being equally comfortable and efficient. It's packed with luxury with that awesome feeling Nappa Leather, next level tech inside out, specially the car parking tricks it's got with the new digital display key.

If you were keen on looking into the c43 amg budget there are few other options from the Mercedes stable, I'll list them below-
  1. CLA45 AMG - This car is total monster when it comes to having most amount of fun while still keeping everything under your control at all times. This can be good or bad compared to how you want to take it.
  2. GLC43 AMG - Now this option is best of both worlds, gives you a powerful engine, nice sounding exhaust, higher ground clearance, brilliant road presence with those smashing looks (IMO) for all the snob value you'd need.
  3. C43 AMG - This car while giving you same amount of power as the other two is somehow not as chuckable as the cla45 and doesn't offer the practicality of the glc43. So, this would be my pick only if I want a sedan and the extra few mm of space inside over the cla.
  4. C300 Cabriolet - Well this option is mainly for snob value, It's a convertible as well as being a coupe, it grabs attention everywhere and this may be good option for nice long drives to the hills.
Polestar is a very good option too, it sounds nice and looks striking if you get the special blue colour. There might be few cars left with dealers and you can also negotiate a good deal on the car. It'll also save you good chunk of money over the AMG options.

I cannot advise on the VRS as I haven't driven it, so no idea how it drives, though it does look great deal at that price.

My pick from all these would be the 530d, it's just come out in the market, has almost every feature possible and will always keep you & your right foot happy for many miles to come.

VSD
Thanks for the reply man, but I have dropped 5 series from the list, moroever I dont want to invest on a diesel anymore
But I will read up about the CLA45 AMG and enquire about it when I visit the showroom tomorrow

Last edited by Zappo : 19th January 2018 at 20:21. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 19th January 2018, 13:25   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure if the XF's drive/handling/experince is comparable with the 330i, but I haven't driven the XF
Don't want to pick up a discontinued s5/s6 even if they have a good deal on it, thanks nontheless.
Personally, I find the C43 AMG to be a lot more practical than the CLA45 AMG.

The XF is a little bigger than the 330i, but if size is a problem - then look at the XE which is a lot newer to the market as well and has good reviews on it's ride & handling, and packs a good punch too!

The S5 isn't a discontinued variant. I'm talking about the newest one that's based on the new A4:
http://www.team-bhp.com/news/audi-a5...tback-launched

Unlike the C43, the S5 looks considerably different from the A4 which may be a plus point.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 17:31   #14

Quote:
Personally, I find the C43 AMG to be a lot more practical than the CLA45 AMG.
===
Unlike the C43, the S5 looks considerably different from the A4 which may be a plus point.
Dude! Thanks!
The S5 looks brilliant! Already called up Audi, he is bringing it by my place for a test drive tomorrow....

Will start going through the many reviews for it right away and see how it stacks up against the C43 AMG.
blore_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 20:44   #15

If I was in your position, I'd rather get a 330i,M sport, get it fully kitted with M exhaust and carbon fibre trim and 19 inch black alloys, make it look like a proper M3, and that would be the best thing to look at or drive, the F30 3 has been around for quite a while now. However, I believe it will get a generation change by 2019, but seeing how the manufacturers delay launched in India I'm pretty sure nothing new is coming to the road until late 19 and early 2020, so it's a pretty safe bet still.

However considering you're living in Bangalore, you could just get a Mercedes C45 AMG, a true maniac from Affalterbach, goes wicked in a straight line, and pretty much the limit of performance you can use on Indian roads every now and then, however I'm not too sure if the C45 is priced well, also, this is totally experimental, but the real wolf in sheep's clothing in the performance division is the newly launched Volvo S60 Polestar, Holy mother of Jesus! That car sounds unbelievable and drives unbelievable, with 400+ horses and a chassis tuned by one of the best engineers on the planet , the car is a true gem, and priced under 70 lakhs. It's a mad option, but definitely one you would never forget. Especially in that lovely Polestar Blue!

Last edited by Eddy : 19th January 2018 at 20:49. Reason: Spacing and typo correction

Most Viewed