View Poll Results: What should I do?
Get the current-gen F30 330i when there are good deals 71 24.48%
Hold on to my Jetta for now, then get the next-gen G20 330i 129 44.48%
Buy the Octavia VRS 90 31.03%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2018, 06:58   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
I test drove the 3GT for a good time and over a variety of surfaces over the weekend. They had in fact left the vehicle with me over the weekend. Was very impressed with the driving experience and comfort. Kids and wife were happy too...
The car is being heavily discounted over the sticker price and is being really pushed by the sales guy. I was told that the one being offered was a "LCI", end 2017 production model - the most uptodate one with a digital instrument cluster and updated HUD etc...
Also, what should I consider when evaluating the extended warranty and care packages.
Glad to know that you like the car.

As Turbanator pointed out, the F34 will be with the 4 GT in 2019 (maybe in India by 2020). So the discounts you are seeing now are mainly to clear the 2017 stocks. The one that is being pushed by the sales guys should be from the same batch (July 2017) as mine. It is quite possible that you will get a better discount than mine as it is another month older now.

Regarding warranty and car care packages, if you plan to keep the car for at least 6 to 7 years, I would suggest you take the 6 years extended warranty without fail. You can decide on the service package depending on the usage. I talked to many BMW owners and got feedback that BSI makes sense if your running is high - about 20,000km a year. If you have a high running, then definitely go for the BSI package.

As the Octavia 1.8TSi has the same suspensions as the Jetta, I would like to get your first hand opinion on the comparison. Now that you have driven the GT for some time, what do you feel about the ride and handling compared to the Octavia 1.8TSi at city speeds, on rough roads and at highway speeds?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st March 2018 at 08:05. Reason: Fixed typo in quoted post
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 12:48   #167
BHPian

Re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

Thanks graaja.
Regarding the comparison with the Octavia 1.8TSi:
I drove the GT (this was the diesel luxury line version) on the same roads that I had travelled with the Octy on several past occasions. The GT allowed for more "robust" driving, was taut and easier to keep in line and did not bottom out over any of the several so called speed breakers and craters on the road (I was concerned about the GC and the fairy long wheel base). The GT is certainly more settled even on twisty roads. I drove the 330i a couple of weeks ago on a closed highway and it was comfortable even at high speeds.
The octy by itself is excellent to drive, but when compared side to side the GT seemd more composed especially at speed and on twisty roads.
In addition, the NVH levels in the GT (even the diesel version) are much better than the Octy. However, to be fair, I am comparing a brand new GT to a nearly 5 year old Octy!

On enquiry it does seem that the car was from the same batch as yours. However, it appears that that particular 330i, was the last one available and has already been booked by someone else. I have been offered the Luxury line diesel GT. I was told that the next set of assembly of the CKD units will commence in April-May. This will be the 2018 version and is likely to be about 60L on road in Bangalore.

So I have a decision to make - to go with the diesel GT now at a price cut (and invest some of the saved money on a 6 year warranty) or wait till the festive season/year end and go in for the 2018 model.

Decisions, decisions !!!
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 23:17   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

So I have a decision to make - to go with the diesel GT now at a price cut (and invest some of the saved money on a 6 year warranty) or wait till the festive season/year end and go in for the 2018 model.

Decisions, decisions !!!
I think the Mumbai dealer has an Estoril Blue 330i GT. Check with Infinity Motors Mumbai, if you are ok to bring the car from Mumbai and register yourself.
Old 21st March 2018, 16:07   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. The suspension upgrade is finalized - 99.9%, unless something unexpected comes up. Not going for the adaptive dampers. Just the plain M Sport setup with the springs, struts and stabilizers. The cost of components is coming to 2.05L. Waiting for BMW dealer to quote installation charges. They have said it will take 25 days for them to get the components from Germany once the order is placed.
Dear Graaja,
Congratulations to you for your purchase.

I wish to:

(a) Thank You, and all Team-BHP members who contributed, for this thread. I had been thinking about replacing my Mercedes B 180CDI with a petrol car. Discussions on this thread helped me make up my mind and I picked up my white 330i GT M Sport on 18 Mar (last Sunday). Practicality (Space and ground clearance) was also very important to me. It used to hurt when by B180 would scrape several speed breakers in my area. GT does not scare any of them. Thanks again!

(b) ask a question regarding suspension. I also find that suspension is too soft and drive is not firm at high speeds (I have only driven around 200km so far). My Mercedes B180 CDI has a more firm ride at high speeds compared to the GT. At slow speeds the GT absorbs the bumps very well, far better than the B180. I wish to ask if M Sport suspension will reduce the ground clearance? and why are you not considering the Adaptive dampers?
aseemsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 05:07   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseemsood View Post
Dear Graaja,
Congratulations to you for your purchase.

(b) ask a question regarding suspension. I also find that suspension is too soft and drive is not firm at high speeds (I have only driven around 200km so far). My Mercedes B180 CDI has a more firm ride at high speeds compared to the GT. At slow speeds the GT absorbs the bumps very well, far better than the B180. I wish to ask if M Sport suspension will reduce the ground clearance? and why are you not considering the Adaptive dampers?
Thank you for the wishes! And Congratulations on your GT purchase as well. Wishing you tens of thousands of miles and smiles!

Thank you for confirming my thoughts on the suspensions being too soft at high speeds. Yes. At city speeds the comfort levels are awesome. But a little firmness will give lots of confidence on the highways. Yes. The M-Sport will reduce the height by 10mm compared to the regular suspensions, but as they will be little firmer I don't expect them to scrape speed breakers.

Fixing adaptive dampers requires lots of changes including wiring, adding a controller for the dampers and coding the system which the dealership will not undertake. The M-Sport suspensions are drop in replacement which will not be any problem.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 06:24   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not upgrading will hurt me more as my wife and younger kid were feeling motion sickness due to all that body roll and rear side bobbing on undulating roads.
An M Sport suspension will not remedy the situation. It would make the car only suitable for highway drives and bad for most other stretches. If you want to use this car as a family saloon, (read comfort for the family) what you ideally need is something in between an M Sport and the current one. Also, it would not just be the dampers that are creating this issue - it could be a soft anti roll bar or a chassis that twists more than it should.

The better solution would be to adapt your driving habits to the car - reduce speed on undulating stretches - similar to reducing speed on bad stretches with a hard suspension. Your current driving pattern is tuned to the Jetta which dismisses undulating stretches with ease. That will now have to change.

BMW is a novice when it comes to their newer soft ride suspensions and it is telling on almost all their cars.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:05   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

BMW is a novice when it comes to their newer soft ride suspensions and it is telling on almost all their cars.
Absolutely true. But I really don't want to change my driving style to suit the car

I have to find some way to get the car a little stiffer.

And as there is no way to get a direct opinion from someone who has tried this, I am relying on general opinion that I got from lots of forums. The general consensus is that the M Sport is somewhere between the comfort and sport settings of the adaptive suspension.

So I am indeed taking a big chance here with the suspensions, and it could go either way. And as my family have never experienced a soft suspension yet, I think a harsher ride will be a better option to live with compared to the present soft suspension.

I am planning to take a test drive in the 5 series with the adaptive suspension in sports mode. As the GT has a wheelbase very close the 5, I think it should give me some ball park idea of how M Sport would be on the GT.

Again, it's all a calculated risk I am taking here. Hope it works out well!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd March 2018 at 08:12. Reason: Fixed typo, as requested :)
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:30   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am planning to take a test drive in the 5 series with the adaptive suspension in sports mode. As the GT has a wheelbase very close the 5, I think it should give me some ball park idea of how M Sport would be on the GT.
There is almost a 200 mm difference in the wheelbase between the two cars and that is a lot when it comes to the areas of suspension and handling.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 08:54   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
There is almost a 200 mm difference in the wheelbase between the two cars and that is a lot when it comes to the areas of suspension and handling.
The difference in wheelbase is only 55mm between the GT and the 5. Between the regular 3 and the GT, the difference is 110mm.

3 series - 2810mm
3 GT - 2920 mm
5 series - 2975mm

And yes, even 55mm will make a difference in ride and handling, but I am trying to just get an approximation here.

Last edited by graaja : 22nd March 2018 at 09:00.
Old 24th March 2018, 11:24   #175
BHPian

Good morning.
Thinking of letting go of the upgrade itch this time. The 330i isn't available and the dealer is trying to push the diesel luxury model. Though the diesel luxury version is priced about 2L less than the 330i, the dealer is offering the diesel at the same (discounted) price as the 330i. There is too much pressure to try to close the deal before the month end and I am not comfortable to be pushed into the decision.
I will revisit the BMW stable again perhaps by the year end. From what I understand of the cycle, kits arrive from Germany in april and assembly begins. The new cars then hit the showrooms by april-may. This is for the 3GT , I guess similar schedules exist for most cars of this nature.
So what is the best time to make the buy - when there is a optimal balance between discounts and availability (of models/colours etc.) - festival season (nov-dec) or early new year Jan-Feb?
Again,thanks for all your inputs.
docsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 11:38   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Good morning.

So what is the best time to make the buy - when there is a optimal balance between discounts and availability (of models/colours etc.) - festival season (nov-dec) or early new year Jan-Feb?
Again,thanks for all your inputs.
From my limited luxury car buying experience, I think you should start hunting around November and close the deal around the last week of December when the dealer is desperate to clear that year's stock. You may or may not get your preferred car/variant during January/February months, but the discounts tend to be higher. Please make sure to check out the cars/offers with the dealers from your neighboring states as well - as it opened up quite a few options that I didn't even think about in my case.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:11   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good morning.
Thinking of letting go of the upgrade itch this time. The 330i isn't available and the dealer is trying to push the diesel luxury model.

I will revisit the BMW stable again perhaps by the year end.
Doc, still waiting or have you booked something? I am also looking around for potential petrol sedans as my Octy TSI is at 40k Km and 3 years. :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th November 2018 at 14:14.
Old 19th November 2018, 18:48   #178
BHPian

Hi itwasntme,

Much looking, head scratching, online time, but no decision yet. Much has changed since Jan,Feb 2018 to now. Earlier this year, I had started out by considering the X1 xDrive and then had the 3GT enthusiastically marketed to me. However, since then, several changes have occurred in this lineup:

1. the X1 sDrive M Sport has been launched.
2. the X1 xDrive is no longer available
3. the 3GT has reached the end of it's life it appears. BMW has decided not to renew the line.
4. the new generation 3 series comes out next year
5. Diesels seem to be getting a worsening reputation - there is 10 year ban in Delhi and I don't see why other cities, including namma bengarulu will not head this way. This would potentially cause serious depreciation and loss when we look to change cars 6-7 years later.

In addition , there are attractive alternatives in the market- the Volvo XC40 (which is more expensive) and the Kodiaq L&K (which is in the same price range) - albeit both being diesels.

These are the current questions that I need to answer:
1. Should I stick to petrols? Compact luxury SUV in petrol - is there one?
2. Without going beyond the 40-50K mark, which car would be a true "upgrade" from the Octy 1.8TSi (this car really hits the sweet spot doesn't it?)
3. Was also considering the pre-owned car option - but not very confident about proceeding down this road as I have never done this before.

So my dilemma continues....
Any thoughts?
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 22:07   #179
BHPian

Just heard about the X1 20i sDrive available in a xline trim. Besides the petrol engine,there is a 7speed DCT gear box. On road in Bangalore is about 42L. The infotainment is a 6.5 inch display, with apple car play and google maps. Rest of the kit appears standard.
Has anyone had first hand experience with this vehicle- especially the new gearbox-petrol engine combo.
Old 24th November 2018, 09:27   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
These are the current questions that I need to answer:
1. Should I stick to petrols? Compact luxury SUV in petrol - is there one?
2. Without going beyond the 40-50K mark, which car would be a true "upgrade" from the Octy 1.8TSi (this car really hits the sweet spot doesn't it?)
3. Was also considering the pre-owned car option - but not very confident about proceeding down this road as I have never done this before.

So my dilemma continues....
Any thoughts?
I think you should stick to petrols, with so many factors like price difference between petrol and diesel becoming almost zero, 10 year old diesel cars being banned etc.

The next question that needs to be answered is what upgrade you are looking for - power or other factors like comfort, quality, brand value etc.

If it is just power, then only the 2.0TSi in VAG or the 30i in the BMW can be considered an upgrade. The 20i in the X1 makes 192bhp power and 280Nm of torque which is not that much higher than the 180bhp/250Nm that the Octy makes. In this case you are back to either the Octavia VRS or the 330i, and if you can stretch the budget, X3 30i, or the 530i.

If you are looking for an overall upgrade in terms of comfort, quality of interiors, badge value etc and are fine with a small increment in power, then I think the X1 20i can be a good option.

Though the 3GT is going to be discontinued, I still feel that to be the most balanced between practicality and power (except for the soft suspensions). If you are planning to keep the car for 6+ years, then you could still keep the 330i GT in contention and try to get the maximum possible discounts.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks