View Poll Results: What should I do?
Get the current-gen F30 330i when there are good deals 71 24.48%
Hold on to my Jetta for now, then get the next-gen G20 330i 129 44.48%
Buy the Octavia VRS 90 31.03%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 16:53   #1
Team-BHP Support

Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

I have a Jetta 2.0TDi Highline DSG that is completing 4 years this March. Below is the ownership thread of the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

The car has been wonderful and every time I take the car for a long drive, it still puts that wide grin on my face. So there is actually no reason to upgrade. But still, of late, I have been getting that upgrade itch. Not because there is any issue with the Jetta, but just to experience other high performance cars. Getting to mid 40's could also be a reason?!

So, I listed down the requirements.

1. A sedan
2. A petrol sedan
3. 200+ bhp power
4. Space comparable to the Jetta
5. A budget of 45L on road. Can stretch to 50L
6. I would keep the car for 6 to 7 years, as it would become a depreciation disaster if I kept it for any shorter duration.

Options considered:

Octavia VRS - This is by far the best car one could get at this price point. The VRS which is about 20L cheaper than the 330i can provide almost the same amount of fun.

BMW 330i - One of my dreams is to drive a BMW. At 252bhp/350Nm + 8 speed sport gearbox + RWD, this is one of my dream cars.

Audi A4 - With the 1.4TSi engine + DQ200 gearbox, this goes straight out of the list with no second thoughts.

Mercedes C class - The only petrol option is C200, which is not very exciting with the 180bhp/300Nm engine.

Jaguar XE - This is a very good option with its 237bhp/340Nm engine and 8 speed gear box. I read many comparisons between the XE and BMW 328i where the reviewers praised the XE to be better in handling than the BMW. However, the biggest let down with Jaguar is the questionable service network. As I want to have a trouble free ownership experience for the next 6 years, this is mostly out of the list.

Volvo S60 T6 - This was one car I had my eyes on for quite sometime. But unfortunately, Volvo has stopped selling the S60 T6 in India, and have replaced it with the S60 Polestar. Though Polestar looks tempting (if I could stretch my budget a little more), the 20" wheels make it totally impractical for a family car.

From the above, I short listed the VRS and 330i.

Between the VRS and 330i, VRS is the best in terms of VFM. 20L cheaper, it still would give almost the same driving pleasure as the 330i.

But I have my reasons! As I have not had a chance to experience the quality of a luxury brand, I want to experience the 330i. I discussed with many friends and petrol heads and all of them have an unanimous opinion - if affordable, go for the 330i. On a lighter note, as I am already in my mid 40's, I do not want to postpone joy, that it gets too late (read I get too old) to drive a fast car.

So, I am keeping VRS as a fall back option if something wrong goes with finance plans.

I also considered going for the pre-owned option and have been checking (on and off) for good deals. But due to the very small numbers sold, it is very difficult to get a good low usage 328i or a S60 T6. The ones I found were either too old (more than 5 years) or had high usage (greater than 50,000 kilometers). Also, from TBHPian quickdraw's 328i ownership thread, I found that a used car can result in lots of maintenance head aches.

Under this situation, I have several questions that I want to put to fellow enthusiasts. Most of my questions are based on the assumption that 330i is the car to go for. But I would also like to confirm that I am not missing some other options.

Questions on the short list:
1. Is there any other petrol car that can satisfy my criteria that I am missing from the list?
2. Is there any reason I should not be dropping the A4, or C200 or the Jaguar XE from my short list?

Questions on the 330i:

Sport Line vs. M Sport:
The 330i comes in two variants - the Sport line and M sport. I do not care much for the body kit or the leather seats in the M sport, but two things that stand out are the Heads Up Display and the 18" wheels.

The M Sport comes with staggered setup with 255/40/18 in the rear and 225/45/18 in the front. This should result in fantastic handling compared to the squared 17" setup in the sport line. However, the 18" wheels would also mean smaller side walls which will result in a harsh ride. How harsh would be the ride compared to the 17" wheels of the sport line? I don't expect the same comfort levels as I would in the Jetta, but I do not want the ride to be too harsh that the family starts cursing me for the choice. I would like to get inputs on this.

The Heads Up Display is the next feature that I love in the M Sport which is not there in the sport line. I have read reviews that the HUD is not of much use other than navigation, but I have also read SanthoshBhat's X3 review where he has mentioned HUD is very useful.

Which would be the better choice - the sport line or the M sport?

RFT vs. Tubeless:
As I had read about RFTs being very harsh and many BMW owners changing to tubeless, I was also thinking about changing the RFTs to tubeless for the better ride. However, read SanthoshBhat's experience with a tire burst and many comments that RFTs are much safer than tubeless, I am of two minds. And if I were to choose the M-Sport, would the 18" coupled with RFTs make it impractical in terms of ride quality?

BSI and Extended Warranty:
My usage would be anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 kilometers per year. Initially, I was thinking about getting both the extended warranty and BSI+ for 6 years for that total peace of mind. However, the SA who visited me told me that with my usage, I will not be able to use the BSI+ to its maximum advantage and I may be paying more on BSI than regular service. He said that BMW has a conditional service where the service interval is not fixed like 15,000km/1 year, but only based on usage. BSI is useful to people who have very high usage like 20,000 to 30,000 kilometers a year which can result in multiple services in one year.

He also said that the only high value wear and tear part is the brake pads which would cost about 40K, but would last close to 50,000 kilometers. Also, I read in SanthoshBhat's and Karan's threads about service cost being quite nominal. So, now I am thinking to get the maximum extended warranty, but not the BSI+. Is this the right thing to do? Is there any other expensive wear and tear cost that I may incur (like a clutch) in 6 years?

Pricing:
The SA was telling me that usually they give discounts for cars stocked by the dealership which they want to clear. And as there is not much movement in petrol cars, they usually do not have stock and will have to order fresh from the factory. So, he has not given details on any discounts. I have read many BMW ownership threads where there is usually a 10% discount on OTR. Do BMW dealers offer standard discounts throughout the year or only during stock clearance? Should I wait for such a season?

If there is going to be not much discounts, then would it be better to get the 2018 model (even if the cost goes up a little)? I believe 2018 models will come with digital instrument cluster.

Please share your views on this situation of mine. Thanks in advance for all the inputs.
graaja is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 17:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

One way to go would be to rent some of those cars on Zoom or Myles to get the upgrade itch out of your system

Though if you're selling that Jetta let us Chennai bhpians know first
hserus is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 17:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

330i all the way, it's a proper upgrade and gets you into rear wheel drive, add 100+ bhp and two more gears, you can't go wrong. The current 3 is on its last year and is a good way to go premium, the reliability will be better, the electronics are new and BMW does have some good finance deals(8%). The discount will make up for the depreciation, the last cars are the newest ones in the resale market.

Enjoy your drives now and move to something like the E/5/A6/XF/S90 when sporty driving isn't your cup of tea anymore. The RS is great but not much of an upgrade from the Jetta. I'm not sure about resale for petrol in Coimbatore, but that could change down the line.
avira_tk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 17:52   #4
BANNED

Some points I'd like to add.
Since this is a long term purchase, consider cost of maintenance between skoda and bmw.
Always buy the top end variant, no buyer's remorse later on.
Brand value is so high with the BMW. You'll love the special treatment on the road and at a restaurant.
I would go for TD before zeroing in on the 330i. The octy has a lot more features for cheap.
And if you can keep the vrs for 3 years instead of the 6-7 because of low initial cost, you may get something really fresh for your next car.
Reason I say this is because the BMW is outdated now, with the next gen coming up real soon. It'll feel bad to me atleast to buy a car that is outdated so soon.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 18:22   #5
BHPian

I would not rule out the Jaguar XE. It is a better looking car than a 330i imho. Also the fact that the 330i is outdated and is common on the road.

The service network may be limited, but you have ample backing of the parent company, Tata Motors.

Cost of ownership would more or less be the same - once you get into this league service & repairs are expensive.
rpunwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 18:32   #6
Team-BHP Support

If you can stretch the budget, I would get the 330i.

I would rule out the Jaguar XE as it does not suit one of your primary requirements. It's woefully short on rear cabin space and leg room. Do try it out for yourself first before ruling it out, though.

P.S. See if the 330i is available in the GT body style. Sure, it may look bulbous and not as svelte as the regular sedan, but those frameless windows are to kill for, and the additional space makes it even more practical.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 18:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I have a Jetta 2.0TDi Highline DSG that is completing 4 years this March.
Can't believe it's been 4 years! I still remember positing in your Octavia TSI Vs. Jetta what car thread. Glad that you've enjoyed the Jetta while it was available. Sad to see it no longer on sale.

Quote:
to experience other high performance cars. Getting to mid 40's could also be a reason?!

So, I listed down the requirements.

1. A sedan
2. A petrol sedan
3. 200+ bhp power
4. Space comparable to the Jetta
5. A budget of 45L on road. Can stretch to 50L
6. I would keep the car for 6 to 7 years, as it would become a depreciation disaster if I kept it for any shorter duration.
Man, this could be me! I can totally relate to your thought process. I think you need to add one extra point - Bit more luxury and a bit of brand value.

Quote:

From the above, I short listed the VRS and 330i.
I think you've already made up your mind on the 330i. I think that is the right choice. Jetta to VRS won't be much of an upgrade unless you are only after performance and don't really care about the brand value and aspiration value. The BMW 3 series has a lot of heritage and for good reason. The F30 initially was criticised for being too soft, but I think BMW has fixed things in the LCI. It is close to the end of its lifecycle and generally by this time BMW tends to iron out tiny niggles and flaws and makes improvements to keep up with competition. Many of these these changes are under the skin and may not be visible on the surface. As far as depth of engineering goes, the BMW is quite a log way ahead compared to the VRS.

Quote:
1. Is there any other petrol car that can satisfy my criteria that I am missing from the list?
2. Is there any reason I should not be dropping the A4, or C200 or the Jaguar XE from my short list?
The Jag XE is a great car as well, but in India owning a car from the JLR stable is very risky. Their service and support isn't as established as BMW's and their cars are known to be less reliable. The XE is now rated as the most fun to drive car in the premium compact segment. It trumps the 3 series with its complex suspension system and has better ride and handling. But interior quality is a let down and space is also poor.

Quote:
Questions on the 330i:

Sport Line vs. M Sport:
The 330i comes in two variants - the Sport line and M sport. I do not care much for the body kit or the leather seats in the M sport, but two things that stand out are the Heads Up Display and the 18" wheels.
The 330i M sport in white looks fantastic! Heads up display is a nice feature to have but not a must have. Its biggest use for me is to select song tracks from the list without taking your eyes off the road and hands off the steering. Since I don't use BMWs nav system, its usage is restricted. Lastly the heads up display cannot be seen if you wear polarised sun glasses.

Quote:
The M Sport comes with staggered setup with 255/40/18 in the rear and 225/45/18 in the front. This should result in fantastic handling compared to the squared 17" setup in the sport line. However, the 18" wheels would also mean smaller side walls which will result in a harsh ride. How harsh would be the ride compared to the 17" wheels of the sport line? I don't expect the same comfort levels as I would in the Jetta, but I do not want the ride to be too harsh that the family starts cursing me for the choice. I would like to get inputs on this.
Frankly I would pick the M sport for the body kit and the staggered tyres. RWD with staggered tyres is an amazing combination. You are buying the BMW for its BMWness. Get as much BMWness as you can!

With 17" you will get only marginally better ride. Both RFTs will give you a stiff ride. Switching to tubeless is something a lot of BMW owners have done not just in India, but abroad as well. Yes RFTs are safer, but my question to those who recommend RFTs over tubeless is - Would you switch to RFTs from tubeless on non BMW cars? 99% cars run on tubeless. If your Jetta is safe on tubeless, why not your BMW? The ride will be a bit stiff with RFT and you will need to slow down a bit more for bad roads. But it won't be that uncomfortable. If you find it bothersome, switch to tubeless and enjoy the ride . I am not sure if tubeless option exists for the 18" staggered set up. So you may need to check that out.

Quote:
My usage would be anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 kilometers per year.
Just take the maximum warranty. 5 yrs is reasonably priced. For additional years it starts becoming expensive. BSI is best avoided. Invest that money somewhere and your service costs can be paid out of the returns.

Quote:
Pricing:
The SA was telling me that usually they give discounts for cars stocked by the dealership which they want to clear.
Don't believe the SA. Check for pricing trends on Team BHP. March will be good time to buy. The new 3 is expected by the end of this year if I am not mistaken. So discounts will flow. All these companies have targets to meet and inventories to clear. Talk to other brand dealerships as well and even if you are not interested in the A4 or C , be in touch with these dealerships and try to haggle and see what deals the season has to offer. Let the BMW dealer know that you are open to buying these cars and they are giving you amazing offers. Also if possible try to talk to neighbouring state BMW dealers as well and see what offers you can get. You can use all this to get your local dealer to fall in line. All the best

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 18th January 2018 at 18:45.
Santoshbhat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 19:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Graaja,

Just recently upgraded from our Laura to a pre-owned 328i (with a new vRS booked as Plan B in case I couldn't find anything better).

Reasons & requirements were similar (except the age, and the fact that I was looking for a car that could be easily tuned to 300BHP).

Just some thoughts:

Quote:

Between the VRS and 330i, VRS is the best in terms of VFM. 20L cheaper, it still would give almost the same driving pleasure as the 330i.

But I have my reasons! As I have not had a chance to experience the quality of a luxury brand, I want to experience the 330i. I discussed with many friends and petrol heads and all of them have an unanimous opinion - if affordable, go for the 330i. On a lighter note, as I am already in my mid 40's, I do not want to postpone joy, that it gets too late (read I get too old) to drive a fast car.

So, I am keeping VRS as a fall back option if something wrong goes with finance plans.
Fair enough - in my case we had an E60 525d earlier, as well as a Laura. After living with both vehicles for 70,000kms - IMO it was the BMW that held up better and one that I kept enjoying for 9 years as compared to 5 with the Laura.

The new vRS though is a very very desirable car! In stock, it comes very close to the 328i in terms of performance and feel, and was a little better than the 328i in terms of handling (but the 328i is a pre-LCI vehicle which has a very soft suspension and heavier steering - just not as chuckable as the vRS).

I haven't driven the LCI model too much but the suspension is stiffer and quite pleasurable. In my case, given I was looking to tune the vehicle in the near future it made sense to go the RWD way for better traction, and the fun of getting the tail to slip out.

However, do keep in mind that the 330i is going to be smaller than the Jetta in terms of space (lower seating maybe, or could be the all black interiors), and practicality isn't a strong point (space saver eating up most of the trunk space, bottle holders are small, etc.).

Quote:
Under this situation, I have several questions that I want to put to fellow enthusiasts. Most of my questions are based on the assumption that 330i is the car to go for. But I would also like to confirm that I am not missing some other options.

The only other petrol car worth considering IMO is the Jaguar XE 25t. I've heard the ride and handling are brilliant and the car is fun to drive!

Quote:
Questions on the 330i:

Sport Line vs. M Sport:
The Heads Up Display is the next feature that I love in the M Sport which is not there in the sport line. I have read reviews that the HUD is not of much use other than navigation, but I have also read SanthoshBhat's X3 review where he has mentioned HUD is very useful.

Which would be the better choice - the sport line or the M sport?
Last month the Mumbai dealer was offering the sportline 330i at 33L ex-showroom, making it fantastic value for money.
While I love the 18" wheels, you really need to be that much more careful with them and there is no doubt the ride will be harsher. Depending on your route, the 18" could give problems - a cousin in Delhi who had a 328i has gone through multiple pairs of tyres!

Regarding the HUD - I primarily use Google Maps for navigation (more accurate), so apart from showing the speed / door open warnings, there isn't much else that you would miss.

Personally - I'd pick the sportline over the M-Sport, and spend the balance on other accessories such as better tyres.

Quote:
RFT vs. Tubeless:
As I had read about RFTs being very harsh and many BMW owners changing to tubeless, I was also thinking about changing the RFTs to tubeless for the better ride.
RFT's are horrible! Get a space saver, switch over to premium grippy tubeless tyres (Michelin PS4 / Pirelli P Zero), and drive carefully with frequent inspections to ensure there is nothing wrong with the tyres.
While RFT's are safer and better for a car that does a lot of highway drives - they are a pain to deal with on poor roads.

Quote:
My usage would be anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 kilometers per year. Initially, I was thinking about getting both the extended warranty and BSI+ for 6 years for that total peace of mind. However, the SA who visited me told me that with my usage, I will not be able to use the BSI+ to its maximum advantage and I may be paying more on BSI than regular service. He said that BMW has a conditional service where the service interval is not fixed like 15,000km/1 year, but only based on usage. BSI is useful to people who have very high usage like 20,000 to 30,000 kilometers a year which can result in multiple services in one year.
Personally, EW should cover you.
BSI just gives you that much more comfort because your out of pocket expenses are limited. It's a personal call and you can go either way on it.

Quote:
Pricing:
So, he has not given details on any discounts. I have read many BMW ownership threads where there is usually a 10% discount on OTR. Do BMW dealers offer standard discounts throughout the year or only during stock clearance? Should I wait for such a season?
Please share your views on this situation of mine. Thanks in advance for all the inputs.
Speak to the Mumbai dealer / other cities. They had some very good offers on the 330i last month - more than 10%!
lamborghini is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 19:47   #9
kat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
One way to go would be to rent some of those cars on Zoom or Myles to get the upgrade itch out of your system

As far as I know, you will be around number 10 in the queue . Please be aware that there are at least 7-8 Coimbatore Bhpians who are eagerly waiting for graaja to find a worthy upgrade to the Jetta. And having seen it, it is one of the best maintained Jettas, anyone can find.
kat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 21:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The correct dosage would be a 5-series. All others will give placebo effect. At least test drive one before opting for others. 330i is good for upto 33 years
androdev is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 21:18   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
330i all the way, it's a proper upgrade and gets you into rear wheel drive, add 100+ bhp and two more gears, you can't go wrong. The current 3 is on its last year and is a good way to go premium, the reliability will be better, the electronics are new and BMW does have some good finance deals(8%). The discount will make up for the depreciation, the last cars are the newest ones in the resale market.
Thanks a lot for the inputs. Hope I get some good deals on the 330i. I am very bad with negotiations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
And if you can keep the vrs for 3 years instead of the 6-7 because of low initial cost, you may get something really fresh for your next car.
Reason I say this is because the BMW is outdated now, with the next gen coming up real soon. It'll feel bad to me atleast to buy a car that is outdated so soon.
Thanks for the inputs. Your point about waiting for the next gen makes sense. I had thought about this as well, but in a little different way. Not using VRS as an intermediate, but to keep the Jetta till 2019 and go for the G20 or any other performance model that may be introduced. But then as avira has mentioned, the present F30 is more mature and should be better in terms of reliability than a new platform. That is why decided to go for the F30, instead of waiting for the G20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
I would not rule out the Jaguar XE. It is a better looking car than a 330i imho. Also the fact that the 330i is outdated and is common on the road.

The service network may be limited, but you have ample backing of the parent company, Tata Motors.

Cost of ownership would more or less be the same - once you get into this league service & repairs are expensive.
Thanks for the inputs. I will definitely check out the XE, get a test drive, and enquire about the service quality in Coimbatore before completely ruling it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
... See if the 330i is available in the GT body style. Sure, it may look bulbous and not as svelte as the regular sedan, but those frameless windows are to kill for, and the additional space makes it even more practical.
Thanks Suhaas. I am not averse to GT as such, but the GT is priced another 5L more than the regular 3. It has to be heavily discounted to fit my budget. Let me check it out as well. Will tell the SA to give me pricing details of the GT as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Can't believe it's been 4 years! I still remember positing in your Octavia TSI Vs. Jetta what car thread. Glad that you've enjoyed the Jetta while it was available. Sad to see it no longer on sale.
Thanks a lot for the detailed response Santhosh. Time flies indeed! And yes. Jetta is one awesome car and it is really sad that VW has taken it off production in India and even the next gen Jetta is not making it to the RHD markets! Sometimes it is just difficult to understand VW logic!

Quote:
Jetta to VRS won't be much of an upgrade unless you are only after performance and don't really care about the brand value and aspiration value. The BMW 3 series has a lot of heritage and for good reason. The F30 initially was criticised for being too soft, but I think BMW has fixed things in the LCI. It is close to the end of its lifecycle and generally by this time BMW tends to iron out tiny niggles and flaws and makes improvements to keep up with competition. Many of these these changes are under the skin and may not be visible on the surface. As far as depth of engineering goes, the BMW is quite a log way ahead compared to the VRS.
More than the brand value, I am attracted toward the depth of engineering, quality of how the car is put together, how the car ages etc. I have read a lot about how BMW excels in all these factors. That is why I want to get the BMW

Quote:
Frankly I would pick the M sport for the body kit and the staggered tyres. RWD with staggered tyres is an amazing combination. You are buying the BMW for its BMWness. Get as much BMWness as you can!
More than the HUD, the staggered setup is what attracts me towards the M-Sport. I will give this some more thought regarding how much practicality I will have to compromise, like the harsher ride, high cost of tires (the 18" tires are almost 2x the 17") and then decide.

Quote:
...If your Jetta is safe on tubeless, why not your BMW? The ride will be a bit stiff with RFT and you will need to slow down a bit more for bad roads. But it won't be that uncomfortable. If you find it bothersome, switch to tubeless and enjoy the ride . I am not sure if tubeless option exists for the 18" staggered set up. So you may need to check that out.
You have a point there. I haven't had any issues - touchwood - with the tubess tires in the Jetta. One thing that is inconvenient with the space saver tire in the BMW is that it does not have a cavity for the space saver. If we place the space saver just in the boot, not sure how to place big luggages like suitcase etc., as they will have to be placed around the space saver. I will take a look at a car and then decide.

Quote:
Just take the maximum warranty. 5 yrs is reasonably priced. For additional years it starts becoming expensive. BSI is best avoided. Invest that money somewhere and your service costs can be paid out of the returns.
Totally makes sense. Will do that.

Quote:
Don't believe the SA. Check for pricing trends on Team BHP. March will be good time to buy. The new 3 is expected by the end of this year if I am not mistaken. So discounts will flow. All these companies have targets to meet and inventories to clear. Talk to other brand dealerships as well and even if you are not interested in the A4 or C , be in touch with these dealerships and try to haggle and see what deals the season has to offer. Let the BMW dealer know that you are open to buying these cars and they are giving you amazing offers. Also if possible try to talk to neighbouring state BMW dealers as well and see what offers you can get. You can use all this to get your local dealer to fall in line. All the best
Thanks a lot. I have already requested a test drive for the C. Will also check out the XE and A4 and use that information to negotiate. As I am not in a hurry, I am going to be patient and wait for good offers. Interestingly, I had a conversation with a dealer in Kerala. He mentioned that they do not sell outside state anymore due to some understanding with other dealers. Not sure how true this is. But will check out some other dealers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Just recently upgraded from our Laura to a pre-owned 328i (with a new vRS booked as Plan B in case I couldn't find anything better).
Thanks a lot for the detailed response. Congratulations on the pre-owned 328i. I wanted to go that route, but after seeing how difficult it was to get a good one, gave up on that path.

Quote:
However, do keep in mind that the 330i is going to be smaller than the Jetta in terms of space (lower seating maybe, or could be the all black interiors), and practicality isn't a strong point (space saver eating up most of the trunk space, bottle holders are small, etc.).
Yes. I understood that the rear space is going to be smaller than the Jetta. But as my kids mostly are in the rear bench, I am fine with a little less leg room as long as it is at least in the Vento territory.

Quote:
The only other petrol car worth considering IMO is the Jaguar XE 25t. I've heard the ride and handling are brilliant and the car is fun to drive!
I will check it out, maybe take a test drive, find out how the Coimbatore dealer is, and then take a call on the XE.

Quote:
While I love the 18" wheels, you really need to be that much more careful with them and there is no doubt the ride will be harsher. Depending on your route, the 18" could give problems - a cousin in Delhi who had a 328i has gone through multiple pairs of tyres!

RFT's are horrible! Get a space saver, switch over to premium grippy tubeless tyres (Michelin PS4 / Pirelli P Zero), and drive carefully with frequent inspections to ensure there is nothing wrong with the tyres.
While RFT's are safer and better for a car that does a lot of highway drives - they are a pain to deal with on poor roads.
Looks like this 17" vs. 18" and RFT vs. Tubeless is going to give me a few sleepless nights. Will study all the options in detail and then decide on this.

Quote:
Speak to the Mumbai dealer / other cities. They had some very good offers on the 330i last month - more than 10%!
Sure. Will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat View Post
As far as I know, you will be around number 10 in the queue . Please be aware that there are at least 7-8 Coimbatore Bhpians who are eagerly waiting for graaja to find a worthy upgrade to the Jetta. And having seen it, it is one of the best maintained Jettas, anyone can find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Ha ha. As Kat has mentioned, many TBHP members from Coimbatore are already in line. Competition is good, eh?!
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 21:34   #12
BHPian

Hello sir,

I would suggest the 330i GT.Here, in Bangalore, BMW dealers are offering good discounts on the GT which brings it to the 330i territory in terms of pricing.
Do check with your dealer for discounts on the GT. Since the car does not sell as well as the 3 or 5 series, discounts are most likely to be offered.

Regards
Prathik
Prathiiik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 21:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

The VRS is the most amazing package for enthusiasts today but BMW is joy. If you plan to keep the car for 5+ years it's best you stick to the bmw as, in general the long term reliability of the beemers is much better than the competition. At the same time I would suggest you should also consider used 530d's. The F10 maybe a generation older but the 30d's experience is unmatched.

Happy shopping!
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 23:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had looked into the 330i vs XE25t options while buying my new car last year (settled on Superb 1.8TSI MT finally).
Though both 2L produce similar power/torque (somewhat higher in the 330i), the similarity ends there - 330i has way higher FE (compare ARAI numbers), as well as the faster acceleration - 0-100 as well as in-gear IIRC. The XE also cramped compared to 3 series though bigger on the outside. ZF8 Sport transmission in 330i is better callibrated than ZF8 in the Jag. Reliability of 330i is way better and BMW scores in service over Jaguar.
Going for the Jaguar are much better and sporty styling, better handling and road hugging capabilities. It also has some features like 360deg view camera etc but depends on the trim level.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-com...parison-406577

18" wheels are not really meant for India ! Having moved from 15" on my Lancer (upsized) to 17" on the Superb, even 17" can fall heavily into some (not that big) potholes with jarring effect (happened couple of times). So, I would prefer Sportline 17" over Msport 18" wheels.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 18th January 2018 at 23:15.
lancer_rit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 23:55   #15
BHPian

Do you really want to go for a FWD vRS when your heart is set on the amazing RWD 330i?
We enthusiasts are going to push you for the BMW all day long, sir.
I really reckon you to add a poll to this thread to make it easier for you to decide your next steed.
AShubrah is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks