View Poll Results: What should I do?
Get the current-gen F30 330i when there are good deals 71 24.48%
Hold on to my Jetta for now, then get the next-gen G20 330i 129 44.48%
Buy the Octavia VRS 90 31.03%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2018, 00:44   #16
BANNED

re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

If you can wait for 1 year, I'd suggest going with the next gen 3-er.
It is not like the Jetta is giving problems, or there is a dearth of buyers for your car.
Patience might pay off.
Or, sell polo and get a hot hatch for your fun, whilist having a family sedan.
The octy trumps the 3-er by having more airbags and more features as well, all of those should not be a problem in the next gen car, think about it.
Other case, buy 3 near new gen launch, even more discounts.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 01:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

From the above, I short listed the VRS and 330i.

Between the VRS and 330i, VRS is the best in terms of VFM. 20L cheaper, it still would give almost the same driving pleasure as the 330i.

But I have my reasons! As I have not had a chance to experience the quality of a luxury brand, I want to experience the 330i. I discussed with many friends and petrol heads and all of them have an unanimous opinion - if affordable, go for the 330i. On a lighter note, as I am already in my mid 40's, I do not want to postpone joy, that it gets too late (read I get too old) to drive a fast car.

So, I am keeping VRS as a fall back option if something wrong goes with finance plans.
Drive both cars back to back, if you can manage test drives on the same day.

The Octavia VRS will have many reasons to impress (without the German car badge).
I recently drove one, and trust me, you won't get that throttle blip on a 330i, which would be more than enough fun one might need while saving 20L. The VRS as a package I feel deal is far more superior.

In this comparison, you save 20 lakh and settle for 20 BHP less, but then, you get a lighter car with more cabin space. Also, since you want fun & sporty, the VRS is as sporty as it can get from the moment you step inside in this comparison.

I guess I'm poor, but I would pick up the Octavia VRS .
parrys is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 08:21   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The Octavia VRS will have many reasons to impress (without the German car badge).
I recently drove one, and trust me, you won't get that throttle blip on a 330i, which would be more than enough fun one might need while saving 20L. The VRS as a package I feel deal is far more superior.
In this comparison, you save 20 lakh and settle for 20 BHP less, but then, you get a lighter car with more cabin space. Also, since you want fun & sporty, the VRS is as sporty as it can get from the moment you step inside in this comparison.
I guess I'm poor, but I would pick up the Octavia VRS .
Absolutely agree with your inputs on the VRS on the fun to drive aspect, space and VFM. I spoke with a friend who has a VRS and has owned a 320d before. He says the VRS is a fun to drive car for sure and very practical in terms of space, but the overall quality in the BMW is several notches higher. What goes for VRS are the fun to drive factor, better space and the 20L cheaper price tag. What goes for the 330i are the RWD fun factor, and quality and build of the total car.

Believe me, I have given lots of thoughts on the 20L premium the 330i carries over the VRS, and it was not an easy decision at all spending that extra 20L. But you live only once

For a moment, let us remove the financial aspect from the equation. Say someone wants to gift you a car and gives you a choice between VRS and the 330i? Which one would you choose? Would you choose the VRS for its space and performance, or the BMW for the overall build and performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
If you can wait for 1 year, I'd suggest going with the next gen 3-er.
It is not like the Jetta is giving problems, or there is a dearth of buyers for your car.
Patience might pay off.
Or, sell polo and get a hot hatch for your fun, whilist having a family sedan.
The octy trumps the 3-er by having more airbags and more features as well, all of those should not be a problem in the next gen car, think about it.
Other case, buy 3 near new gen launch, even more discounts.
Between the G20 and F30, I wanted to go with F30 because it would be a stable design. If I got the first batch of G20, then I may end up with teething issues of the new platform while BMW fixes the issues in the upcoming facelifts. I am actually not in a hurry at all. I am ready to wait for good deals - maybe in March or even later as the G20 launch approaches.

I did consider the option of keeping the Jetta for a few more years and upgrade the GT. But I did not want to go with the current gen GTi with the DQ200 gear box. If VW brings the next gen GTi with the 2.0TFSi, that would be very good, but you never know what VW plans. That is why I decided to go ahead upgrading the Jetta. Maybe another 2 years down the line, when it is time to upgrade the GT, and if my finances are strong, and if VW has the next gen GTi, that would be one dream garage - a GTi with 2.0TSi + a 330i. Now I am getting greedy, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Though both 2L produce similar power/torque (somewhat higher in the 330i), the similarity ends there - 330i has way higher FE (compare ARAI numbers), as well as the faster acceleration - 0-100 as well as in-gear IIRC. The XE also cramped compared to 3 series though bigger on the outside. ZF8 Sport transmission in 330i is better callibrated than ZF8 in the Jag. Reliability of 330i is way better and BMW scores in service over Jaguar.
Going for the Jaguar are much better and sporty styling, better handling and road hugging capabilities. It also has some features like 360deg view camera etc but depends on the trim level.
18" wheels are not really meant for India ! Having moved from 15" on my Lancer (upsized) to 17" on the Superb, even 17" can fall heavily into some (not that big) potholes with jarring effect (happened couple of times). So, I would prefer Sportline 17" over Msport 18" wheels.
Thanks for the inputs. I think I can definitely drop the XE.

What is making it difficult to choose between the 18" and 17" is the staggered setup in the 18" vs. the squared setup in the 17". I will give this more thought. Most probably I may end up with the sport line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
The VRS is the most amazing package for enthusiasts today but BMW is joy. If you plan to keep the car for 5+ years it's best you stick to the bmw as, in general the long term reliability of the beemers is much better than the competition. At the same time I would suggest you should also consider used 530d's. The F10 maybe a generation older but the 30d's experience is unmatched.

Happy shopping!
I definitely plan to keep the car for at least 6 years. Planning to get the maximum extended warranty cover. I was tempted to go for a used 530d (after reading GTO and Tanveer's threads), but then the risks in getting a used car that may have maintenance issues put me off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
Do you really want to go for a FWD vRS when your heart is set on the amazing RWD 330i?
We enthusiasts are going to push you for the BMW all day long, sir.
Ha ha. True that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
I would suggest the 330i GT.Here, in Bangalore, BMW dealers are offering good discounts on the GT which brings it to the 330i territory in terms of pricing.
Do check with your dealer for discounts on the GT. Since the car does not sell as well as the 3 or 5 series, discounts are most likely to be offered.
Thanks Prathik. I had not considered the GT due to the higher costs. Will check with the dealers for good offers.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 08:43   #19
Team-BHP Support

It looks like BMW brand has done the trick for you . In that case I would say stick to the 330i option (standard or GT). That said the 3 will be more like a lateral shift from the Jetta when it comes to interior space; if you have the budget, probably can look at the 530i.

And if the brand BMW pull is not much, why not the new Passat? It is indeed a brilliant car.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 09:11   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It looks like BMW brand has done the trick for you

... if you have the budget, probably can look at the 530i.

And if the brand BMW pull is not much, why not the new Passat? It is indeed a brilliant car.
You got it spot on. The more I think about this, I believe it is more of a brand's pull and aspiration that is attracting me to the 330i

As I want a car which is more driver focused, I did not consider bigger cars like the 530, the Passat or the Superb. Maybe next time when the upgrade happens, I will move to the bigger platform.
Old 19th January 2018, 09:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I definitely plan to keep the car for at least 6 years. Planning to get the maximum extended warranty cover...
Quote:
As I want a car which is more driver focused, I did not consider bigger cars like the 530, the Passat or the Superb. Maybe next time when the upgrade happens, I will move to the bigger platform.
If one is asked to keep both 530i and 330i for a month or so and return one of them and drive the other for 6 years, most will return 330i. Unless one is still in college or lack parking space. You should research more: Cost difference considering long period of ownership, Comfort, suspension, quality aspects, real world driving experience, etc.

Last edited by androdev : 19th January 2018 at 09:58.
androdev is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 10:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Most probably I may end up with the sport line.
Go for the 330i Sport Line when the G20 is launched to squeeze out maximum discounts & then buy some M Performance Accessories with the money saved.
It’ll save you the hassle that you’ll go through with the 18” staggered setup on the M Sport Edition & still make you feel special whenever you drive the car, even though you’ll be missing out on stuff like the HUD, front PDC, the (amazing) Dakota Saddle Brown interior & a couple of other tidbits that the Sport Line doesn’t offer.

Quote:
I had not considered the GT due to the higher costs. Will check with the dealers for good offers.
It’s funny how a 330i will cost you the same as much as a 530i will cost me in my city OTR.
AShubrah is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 11:36   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a Jetta 2.0TDi Highline DSG that is completing 4 years this March.
My suggestion will be on the lines of this thread.

1. Hold onto the Jetta for another year or two or three. You won't lose much as it's already depreciated - you will be using the car for peanuts in depreciation losses.

2. Then, buy the next-generation G20 3-Series. The current 3 is feeling very outdated, and will be even more so as you live with it. If you're paying big bucks for new, why not get the latest & greatest? I know many people who bought a new F10 in its final year of production suffering whenever they see the new G30:
Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport-bmw3series_01.jpg
Source

3. Since you want a faster car, do what I did to my brother's Jetta. A remap & some other mods will make the Jetta immensely fun to drive. Trust me, I drive a 530d and his remapped Jetta still makes me grin everytime I take it out on an empty road - related post:

Quote:
One of my dreams is to drive a BMW.
You're sold on the Bimmer, so forget the Octavia. Just go for it (but IMHO, the next generation).

A lot of people will say that the discounts you are currently getting on the 3-Series won't be there on the new 3-Series. Well, whatever you were going to put on the new car, invest it (opportunity cost) and use your Jetta instead. That will more than exceed any price difference between this old generation and the new one. Plus, there will be a HUGE difference in resale (used market hates old generations).

At least that's what I would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That said the 3 will be more like a lateral shift from the Jetta when it comes to interior space
Tell me about it - my outgoing Civic had more backseat space than the incoming 5-Series .

Last edited by GTO : 19th January 2018 at 11:42.
GTO is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 11:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the inputs. Hope I get some good deals on the 330i. I am very bad with negotiations!

Thanks for the inputs.
I would suggest before you come to any conclusion, think this:
1) Do i still wanna continue driving routine 2 ltrs? remember there is no replacement for displacement, irrespective of how many turbos BMW provides in a 2 ltrs, 3 ltr is a 3 ltr.

2) After driving the torque for 4 years, would you really want to continue driving the same(almost) torque?

3) Is putting a 5 million Rupee worth for a twinturbo 2 ltrs?

If the answer to all above questions is YES, then i suggest atleast test drive the Jaguar XE portfolio. Jaguar is a very special feeling and XE matches 3 series in performance department. Looks are to die for, imho. Meet the sales team and service centre personnel before ruling them out from consideration based on some horror stories. Remember, even SKODA has equal horror stories. people change man!!

If the answer to most questions is NO, then go for a pre-owned 530d or XF-S. You get power of petrol, torque and efficiency of diesel and feeling of a special upgrade.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 11:46   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to GTO.
Continue to use the Jetta for a few more years for peanuts. Remind yourself of the big sum you spent 3 years ago when you bought her new, more than half of it is gone! Vapor! Now is the time to use the same lovely car for nothing extra. "Asset sweating" you see
anandpadhye is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 12:22   #26
BHPian

Fiscally speaking, the Octavia vRS is the best bet in terms of VFM.

Quote:
But I have my reasons! As I have not had a chance to experience the quality of a luxury brand, I want to experience the 330i. I discussed with many friends and petrol heads and all of them have an unanimous opinion - if affordable, go for the 330i. On a lighter note, as I am already in my mid 40's, I do not want to postpone joy, that it gets too late (read I get too old) to drive a fast car.
Looking at the quoted text, I guess you already have your answer! Hands down, it is the 330i. You have your whole good life to work and save up to confidently buy a luxury car without even taking a second thought over the other VFM options. But only a few years to be young and relish the ecstasy of kickdowns from a RWD BMW
E = mc˛ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 13:40   #27
BHPian

@Graaja - You love the Jetta, it is still fairly new (4 yrs) and a reliable workhorse, so why sell it and suffer depreciation?

Do you really need a Sedan and a Petrol one? Have you thought about trading in your Polo TSI for the GTI? The TSI will still fetch you a better resale!

Last edited by AirWind : 19th January 2018 at 13:53.
AirWind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 13:48   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I was in a dilemma to sell off my Jetta as well. However, the following factors have put off the sale:

- We now have a beater car (kwid), so the Jetta's annual running has been reduced. Even you have the Polo GT as a city car, and thus, you don't have to worry about the car giving you $$$ especially when it comes to wear and tear parts. (At least for the next 1 or 2 years)

- You can further mod the car if you so wish. That is what we have decided as well. A better ICE, maybe an amp and of course a remap as well. You could also consider doing a few DIYs for things such as self park, fatigue detection, etc. You are a DIY mogul, should be a walk in the park for you.

- The current gen 3 series is just too dated. Agreed, the 330i makes a perfect case for itself, but when you are plonking 40+ million into a car, it's better to go the whole hog and wait it out. Looking at BMW's next generation of cars, the future sure looks promising. I have high hopes from the next Gen 3 series.

Other factors also include depreciation as well. Thus, I think it makes sense to keep the car for a year and then think further.

As for the badge, I think spending 30+ lakh on a car doesn't warrant four rings or a propeller on the bonnet. You can go for the Octavia VRS in that case. However, that's your personal opinion.

If you are in a hurry, then of course check the 3 series out. Do give the Jaguar XE a fair chance too. That car has unbelievable opulance.

Regards,
Vishy
vishy76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 14:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Why is the vRS even on the list for an upgrade from a Jetta?

The 330i has to be the choice, I got a chance to get behind the wheels on this beast (a friend who had bought the one and only 330i of Chennai). The 330i replaced an year old 320D, problem was the diesel clatter and the usual limitations of a diesel engine during spirited driving.

The first thing that got me really interested on the 330i was the characteristics of the engine. First the almost flat torque from as low as 1500rpm and the power that is consistently increasing with the torque is something to be experienced and believed. The way this engine is mated to the excellent ZF 8-Speed is just phenomenol. Put the car in D and it steadily cruises with a very mild growl, S-Mode lets a bit of a sweet loud growl to the exhaust as we go up the revs with a superb throttle response. The ZF has its own S mode where the shifts are much quicker and the car holds the revs quite nicely on spirited driving.

At slightly more higher speeds is when all these come together and work their magic, the stiffness of the chassis lights up as we go up the speed and through the corners with great confidence. Don't want to really quote the speeds I was able to do in the 330i and get the mods attention here. But then, the BMW held its nerve like no other!

Its quite simple about the vRS when you are looking for the ultimate upgrade.
A small quote from Jeremy Clarkson:
Why it's brilliant: "Asking the front wheels of a car to do their normal job of steering while handling more than 170hp is like asking a man to wire a plug while juggling... penguins... while making love... to a beautiful woman while on fire, on stage... in front of the Queen. It's all going to go wrong." Most people would have just called it "wrong-wheel drive."

Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport-img20180119wa0011.jpg

Last edited by anachronix : 19th January 2018 at 14:39.
anachronix is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 15:10   #30
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 19th January 2018 at 15:34.
Prathiiik is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks