View Poll Results: What should I do?
Get the current-gen F30 330i when there are good deals 71 24.48%
Hold on to my Jetta for now, then get the next-gen G20 330i 129 44.48%
Buy the Octavia VRS 90 31.03%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2018, 17:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

The thrill lies in taking a BMW 330i with a VRS which is a distinct possibility. NEVER the other way around. Especially as you've paid a whopping 20 lakhs more. The sleeper car characteristic of the VRS should appeal to most enthusiasts.

However, to each his own, and if build quality, fit and finish makes your day the 330i would be better.

Forget about RWD and FWD, Skoda had got that bit covered with the VRS.

If you really want a complete comparison between the VRS and the 330i, look at this complete comparo which covers almost all points between the two.

Note how the VRS takes corners in this video and that the 330i looks almost looks clumsy in comparison on the same corners:

Last edited by AMG Power : 19th January 2018 at 17:36.
AMG Power is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 19:53   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

Forget about RWD and FWD, Skoda had got that bit covered with the VRS.
Have you driven both the Octavia VRS and the BMW 330i?

Could you please share details on how Skoda has got the RWD vs FWD bit covered with the VRS?
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 20:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Have you driven both the Octavia VRS and the BMW 330i?
Yes, both on several occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Could you please share details on how Skoda has got the RWD vs FWD bit covered with the VRS?
Check out the above video. Especially from 7.49 till the end.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 22:11   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My suggestion will be on the lines of this thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
+1 to GTO.
Continue to use the Jetta for a few more years for peanuts. Remind yourself of the big sum you spent 3 years ago when you bought her

new, more than half of it is gone! Vapor! Now is the time to use the same lovely car for nothing extra. "Asset sweating" you see
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
@Graaja - You love the Jetta, it is still fairly new (4 yrs) and a reliable workhorse, so why sell it and suffer depreciation?
Thanks a lot GTO and Anand and Airwind, for the totally different perspective. Before I had posted this thread, I had thought over this for almost three months. There is no two opinion about what makes the best financial sense. The Jetta feels as tight as it was the first day I took delivery and is definitely good for at least another three years. The desire to upgrade totally comes from the heart.

Having said that, I will spend lot of time thinking about this idea before spending my money on a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Do you really need a Sedan and a Petrol one? Have you thought about trading in your Polo TSI for the GTI? The TSI will still fetch you a better resale!
That thought did cross my mind a few months back when VW reduced the price of the GTi. However, with the GTi equipped with the same problematic DQ200 gearbox, and having know about a few failed gearboxes in the GTi already, I really did not want to trade in the GT for a GTi. Also, I have spent close to 6 lakhs in upgrades in the GT which will have absolutely no value when I try to sell it. So, I will keep the GT for two or three more years and maybe exchange it for a GTi when VW brings the next gen GTi with the 2.0TSi engine and a wet clutch gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
I would suggest before you come to any conclusion, think this:
1) Do i still wanna continue driving routine 2 ltrs? remember there is no replacement for displacement, irrespective of how many turbos

BMW provides in a 2 ltrs, 3 ltr is a 3 ltr.
I think all the manufacturers are now moving to smaller displacement engines producing the same power. As you have pointed out, the only way I can get a 6 cylinder is by the pre-owned way. But somehow, I am not comfortable in taking that path for various reasons - getting a good car with low usage and not very old requires lot of time and patience, and you need to be lucky as well for the car to not land in many maintenance woes. I would rather keep the Jetta for even three more years than getting a pre-owned car.

And yes. I will definitely visit the Jaguar showroom and take a test drive before ruling it out completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = mc² View Post
Looking at the quoted text, I guess you already have your answer! Hands down, it is the 330i. You have your whole good

life to work and save up to confidently buy a luxury car without even taking a second thought over the other VFM options. But only a few years to be young and relish the ecstasy of kickdowns from a RWD BMW
True. Somehow, I am not able to push that attraction towards the 330i. About 4 years back, I was doing exactly the same for the Octavia 1.8TSi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
...As for the badge, I think spending 30+ lakh on a car doesn't warrant four rings or a propeller on the bonnet.

You can go for the Octavia VRS in that case. However, that's your personal opinion.

If you are in a hurry, then of course check the 3 series out. Do give the Jaguar XE a fair chance too. That car has unbelievable opulance.
Believe me, it is definitely not for the badge or the snob value that I am looking for the BMW. It is purely for the drive experience and the overall quality of the car. And I am in no hurry as well As the Jetta is doing fine, I can wait even till the year end (for the December offers to kick in).

Quote:
The thrill lies in taking a BMW 330i with a VRS which is a distinct possibility. NEVER the other way around. Especially as you've paid a whopping 20 lakhs more. The sleeper car characteristic of the VRS should appeal to most enthusiasts...
However, to each his own, and if build quality, fit and finish makes your day the 330i would be better.
If it was just pure thrills, I would have got the VRS, eyes closed. As I have mentioned in my first post, I somehow want to have the experience of owning a BMW with its overall build quality, drive experience etc.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd January 2018 at 00:15. Reason: Formatting to improve readability
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2018, 22:46   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: As per Graaja's request, a poll has been added to the thread .
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 06:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I somehow want to have the experience of owning a BMW with its overall build quality, drive experience etc.
There is no point comparing a VRS with a BMW when you're looking for build quality, the specific BMW drive experience and NOT looking for thrills that a VRS can give. Why would you want to even bring a VRS into the equation when you dismiss it's strengths?

You've already made your decision to go with a 330i. Nothing here will change that - even a poll that swings heavily in the opposite direction.

Wishes in advance for good times with your BMW

Last edited by AMG Power : 20th January 2018 at 06:24.
AMG Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 07:05   #37
Team-BHP Support

I would like to thank everyone who has provided their inputs on this. What I love about the forum is the diversity of thoughts and opinions one can get, which gives lots of different perspective on the same subject.

After thinking over all the inputs and looking at the poll results, this is what I have decided to do:

Take a test drive of several cars - the 330i, C200, Jaguar XE and even the Polestar if possible. I doubt if I can get a test drive of the VRS, but I will have a look at a friend's VRS. During the test drive, apart from the fun factor, I will also check for practical things like ride quality, space management etc.

Assuming the shortlist still remains with the VRS and 330i:

I will wait it out watching for news on the new G20 and also for any sweet deals on the F30. If I can get an F30 at a very good price (say 8L+ disccount on the Ex-showroom) then take that. Or if more clarity on the G20 arrives and if the G20 is worth the wait and extra money, wait till it is released and get it.

This wait will also give me lot of time to think on the financial aspects of this purchase - is it really worth spending that extra money on a car, would it be better to spend it on something else etc. If the logical part of my brain wins over the heart, then maybe the VRS.

And meanwhile, continue to enjoy the Jetta.

So, off to do the test drives. I will keep this thread updated with my experiences, test drives, decisions etc. in this new project

Once again thank you all for your fantastic inputs!

Last edited by graaja : 20th January 2018 at 07:25.
graaja is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 10:14   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

I can see that lots of folks are advicing you the hold on to your Jetta and wait for the next gen 330i. But I think that’s a wrong move.

Why?

1) BMW gives great discounts on outgoing models. And hikes prices for new ones. So there will be at least a ₹10 l difference between the current version and the new car (btw, your local sales guy is bull shitting when he says there are no discounts - push hard and you will get them)
2) You can’t be sure BMW will launch the next gen 330i immediately. They could have a very limited launch phase and then start local assembly 2-3 years down the line. And even the 320 d is probably a year away in India.
3) The one caveat is that replacing cars every 4 years is expensive - personally, I keep cars for about 6 years. But that is a very personal thing - I have friends who upgrade every 4 years and others who let a car last 8-10 years before thinking of something new.

So if you feel the Jetta is fine and don’t have the itch to upgrade you can wait. But don’t wait for a future launch, especially of a Petrol car which may or may not make it to India
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 10:50   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That thought did cross my mind a few months back when VW reduced the price of the GTi. However, with the GTi equipped with the same problematic DQ200 gearbox, and having know about a few failed gearboxes in the GTi already, I really did not want to trade in the GT for a GTi. .
Sorry for going OT. Failed gearboxes on the new GTI already and not one but "few"? Were these modded or stock cars? Somehow this news isn't that worrying anymore for seasoned VAG customers
1) Owners are aware of this and still buy the car for the thrills
2) They've got extended warranty
3) VW is known to replace it on goodwill terms even after warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I can see that lots of folks are advicing you the hold on to your Jetta and wait for the next gen 330i. But I think that’s a wrong move.
I would agree with you in normal circumstances, but since its the 3 series we talking about here, I disagree.

For BMW the 3 series is one of their most important models. Its a kind of brand recall model for them. Think of BMW, and you think of the 3 series. BMW would badly want to take back the title of best driving compact from Jaguar and I am sure they won't leave any stone unturned to do just that. Expect the new G20 to be a much better driving machine than the F30 and competition will ensure you'll get better interior quality and more gizmos too.

I get a feeling that this is an emotional and aspirational purchase for the OP. The initial price difference will be made up somewhat by the incremental resale value. And given the trends in petrol Vs. diesel in the current market, BMW will not skip the 330i. Heck, I am wishing they bring a proper 6 banger too .

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 20th January 2018 at 10:54.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 11:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Here's an unofficial secret - DSG's are covered for lifetime warranty by VW. You wouldn't find this written anywhere and will not be told so either. But if you have a DSG failure even 10 years down the line you can get the warranty.

Boy, that GTI is without doubt the MOST FUN you can have amongst all the cars sold in India. Nothing even comes close, not even the VRS!!

Quote:
For BMW the 3 series is one of their most important models. Its a kind of brand recall model for them. Think of BMW, and you think of the 3 series. BMW would badly want to take back the title of best driving compact....
Not anymore. BMW have passed on the mantle of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" to the 2 series. Check out their ads too. Unfortunately not sold in India.

The laws of physics have played spoilsport with the 3 and BMW has realised that with the increases in size, the 3 will NEVER EVER be the driver's car it once was.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 11:53   #41
BHPian

thank you for a nice discussion. I remember graaja’s posts from 4 years ago. I was in a similar situation then, but settled for a Octy 1.8 in Jan 2014. I have had a good experience with the car. The only wrinkle was a mechatronics replacement about a year ago. But the workshop did a reasonable job keeping me in the loop and providing a loaner car. Otherwise have had a good experience so far.
My EMIs ended last month, and in true “boys will be boys” style, began looking at alternatives. A SUV was thought to be the way forward - Tiguan, Kodaiq , X1 were shortlisted and research begun. I test drove the Kodiaq and though I liked the car , it seemed NOT that different from the Octy. The Tiguan is not easy to find - for a test drive or otherwise! I also considered GTO’s lateral upgrade path- however I am not sure how to go about that.....
When I think about it, the journey is as exciting and enjoyable, if not more, than the destination itself. From a logical approach, there is nothing wrong with the Octy- it has most things that is needed in a modern car, similar to graaja ‘s Jetta. I am not able to find logical reasons to splurge 40-50L on a new set of wheels. I also considered going in for the Compass. I can change again in 3-4 years for the same outlay.

So, I have done the most logical thing at this time.... procrastinate.... for now...

But, logic is mostly secondary here isn’t it!
docsr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 17:35   #42
BHPian

All the perspectives have been put forward and I feel that you should wait for the G20 to arrive and then take your call. You'll have a clear picture then as to what all you stand to gain/forgo by choosing either of the two and whether the bells and whistles of the new generation are worth enough to take the risk of bearing the teething issues which may or may not crop up in your ownership.
It's a long term investment you are talking about and there is a better version on the horizon, better to wait for a few months for the G20 than to jump the gun and later regret in hindsight. In the meantime you have a perfectly capable car to sail you through the wait. Just my 2 cents.
Speedshift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 09:20   #43
BHPian

I think you should consider a 530d - you may be able to buy one that is 2 to 3 years old.

Just like GTO did!

I know you want a petrol only - but I switched from Petrol to diesel, and I may not want to go back to petrol again
vivekrvcse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 11:23   #44
Team-BHP Support

I'm surprised the poll result says hold on for the new G20. The fact is we don't even know when it is exactly launching in India, or whether it will come in the 330i guise.

It seems you have already decided on the 330i, so I would advise you to go ahead.

The fact is, the new G20 may be more dynamically sorted, but the questions above still remain. Also the B48 engine in the 330i is not going to be replaced anytime soon, it will continue in the G20. Things like the idrive too are totally up to date and I doubt there will be much of a difference in the G20.

Now on the current 330i sportline, there were discounts of 10l on the ex showroom which brought it to 32l ex showroom in Mumbai. At that price its a no brainer over the vRS for me. The M sport would be my pick if you can stretch that much, though I don't think there are such big discounts on the M sport. The extra goodies of the M sport, the HUD, the steering wheel (makes a huge difference to driving pleasure), and the staggered wheels with 225 rears, will be worth it in the long run.

Change to tubeless tyres, there isn't a single BMW I have driven whose driving experience I have preferred with runflats. M cars use tubeless too. When you have an exact indicator of tyre pressure in the car (the 330i does) you will know exactly when any tyre drops pressure. The ride quality improvement is tremendous too.

If you wait till March, the discounts will be almost as good as December.

Lastly, I have also heard things about 330i production stopping, so don't hesitate too much or it may be gone.

Why would I take it over the vRS? RWD period. The 8 speed gearbox, and the rear wheel drive are a great combination and with a powerful petrol it is extremely fun to drive. The vRS is also great, and it has a more sporty suspension set up but the FWD with its lesser traction and understeer (though very well controlled) cannot match the total fun to drive factor. Also if you get the itch to mod, the 330i will handle the extra power better with the rear wheel drive.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 21st January 2018 at 11:56. Reason: typo - b47=b48
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 11:39   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
But don’t wait for a future launch, especially of a Petrol car which may or may not make it to India
Thanks a lot for the input. If I get a very good deal on the current gen F30 (like 8 lakhs off on the OTR), then I will definitely go ahead with the current gen. If they are not offering a good deal, then I plan to wait for the G20.

Quote:
Somehow this news isn't that worrying anymore for seasoned VAG customers
1) Owners are aware of this and still buy the car for the thrills
2) They've got extended warranty
Totally agree with you there. Though the DQ200 is problematic, the fact that VW covers the gearbox under goodwill warranty even after the official warranty period is enough for the enthusiasts to choose the GTi. If I had had my way, I would have got the GTi a few months back when VW reduced the price. But home minister firmly put her foot down and refused any such move

Quote:
For BMW the 3 series is one of their most important models. Its a kind of brand recall model for them. Think of BMW, and you think of the 3 series. BMW would badly want to take back the title of best driving compact from Jaguar and I am sure they won't leave any stone unturned to do just that. Expect the new G20 to be a much better driving machine than the F30 and competition will ensure you'll get better interior quality and more gizmos too.
Quote:
Not anymore. BMW have passed on the mantle of the "Ultimate Driving Machine" to the 2 series. Check out their ads too. Unfortunately not sold in India.

The laws of physics have played spoilsport with the 3 and BMW has realised that with the increases in size, the 3 will NEVER EVER be the driver's car it once was.
There is a general opinion in BMW forums that BMW is losing its DNA and is becoming more like Audi or the Mercedes by making their cars softer. So, there is a clear risk that the G20 becomes softer than the F30 (as F30 is softer than the E90). The SA also was mentioning yesterday that they are selling more 3 GTs these days than the regular 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
...It's a long term investment you are talking about and there is a better version on the horizon, better to wait for a few months for the G20 than to jump the gun and later regret in hindsight. In the meantime you have a perfectly capable car to sail you through the wait. Just my 2 cents.
Yes. I will take some time (unless the SA comes with a 8L deal tomorrow ) to study my options and then decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekrvcse View Post
I think you should consider a 530d - you may be able to buy one that is 2 to 3 years old.

Just like GTO did!

I know you want a petrol only - but I switched from Petrol to diesel, and I may not want to go back to petrol again
The 530D is sure a beast! But there are two things that stop me from going for the 530D. First, I am not very comfortable with a pre-owned car, as it would require lot of time, patience and effort to land a good car with a low mileage. Second, I really want to go back to a petrol car.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed