View Poll Results: What should I do?
Get the current-gen F30 330i when there are good deals 71 24.48%
Hold on to my Jetta for now, then get the next-gen G20 330i 129 44.48%
Buy the Octavia VRS 90 31.03%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2018, 17:50   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

Graaja, recently spotted an image on the STI page where I saw a 330i posing with a modded MK5 Jetta. Is that beauty yours? Even that car has a blacked out kidney grille and stock alloys if my eyes are not mistaken and the pic was taken in coimbatore.

Name:  Screen Shot 20180305 at 5.49.06 PM.png
Views: 2232
Size:  495.3 KB

Or is it a twin? I will be surprised if it is.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 19:27   #152
Team-BHP Support

Re: Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Graaja, recently spotted an image on the STI page where I saw a 330i posing with a modded MK5 Jetta. Is that beauty yours? Even that car has a blacked out kidney grille and stock alloys if my eyes are not mistaken and the pic was taken in coimbatore.
Ha ha. Yes. That is my GT. The picture was taken during a local car enthusiasts meet on Sunday.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 23:22   #153
Team-BHP Support

Have started collecting pictures for the review thread which is still a few weeks out. Here is a small sample of exterior pictures. Picture credit: Fellow TBHP members from Coimbatore - Krish, batterylow and Sam.

Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport-picture2.png

Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport-picture3.png

Last edited by graaja : 8th March 2018 at 23:24.
graaja is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 11:36   #154
Senior - BHPian

Excellent choice and worthy upgrade to your Jetta! I'm sure the deal must have been mouthwatering

Coming to the car itself, how do you find the car's drivability in stop-go traffic?
Does the new i-Drive Touch come with Apple CarPlay?
How is the performance of the stock runflats?
I read that you're quite happy with the stock suspension, isn't it a bit 'bouncy' at points such as flyover expansion joints?
Overall do you think it was the best choice above the regular 330i sedan? AFAIK the GT also has a manual hand brake and skips on cruise control too. Is it a fair omission or do you really miss it?

Wishing you years of trouble free ownership with 'Joy' of driving.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 12:54   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Excellent choice and worthy upgrade to your Jetta! I'm sure the deal must have been mouthwatering
Thank you so much for the kind words Adi. Yes. Got a very good deal indeed - close to 7.5L off on the OTR price as it was a 2017 manufactured model

Quote:
Coming to the car itself, how do you find the car's drivability in stop-go traffic?
How is the performance of the stock runflats?
I read that you're quite happy with the stock suspension, isn't it a bit 'bouncy' at points such as flyover expansion joints?
Overall do you think it was the best choice above the regular 330i sedan? AFAIK the GT also has a manual hand brake and skips on cruise control too. Is it a fair omission or do you really miss it?

Wishing you years of trouble free ownership with 'Joy' of driving.
Drivability in stop go traffic is just super smooth. I usually put the car in Eco-Pro mode in city and the car just buzzes around the traffic and returns a very good FE too (I get around 9 to 11 in city). Also, as the gear box is a torque converter, I am not that much worried about the clutch wear and heat up issues that I do with the DSGs in the Jetta and Polo GT. I always shift the DSG to N in traffiic stops, but dont have to do this with the 330i GT.

It's a mixed feeling with the suspensions. They are tuned a little too soft because of which they are super comfortable at city speeds on rough roads. But at highway speeds on undulating roads, the car does get bouncy and it is quite annoying. In fact my wife is just not comfortable with this and is getting motion sickness. I am planning to upgrade the suspensions to M Sport ones which will give a lot more highway speed stability. Of course there will be a little sacrifice in low speed comfort, but I think the longer wheel base should compensate a little.

The run flats are surprisingly quite comfortable. I remember having read a review on the GT in Europe where the reviewer said he did not feel that the car was with run flats. I was initially very concerned about the harsh ride from the RFTs that everyone was talking about, and was in two minds to change to tubeless. Glad that I did not. I don't think the ride is harsh at all. Maybe it is because of these particular tires - Continental Super Sports.

I guess the 320D version of the GT misses on the cruise control. The 330i has cruise control and I use it very often on the highways. But the parking brakes are still manual.

I am very happy that I went with the 330i GT instead of the regular 330i.
Except for the suspension (which I am going to change), the car just excels in everything else - fantastic engine + gearbox, excellent legroom, lots of boot space, lots of good to have features like HUD, adaptive LED headlights, powered tail gate, panaromic sunroof etc. With the 330i sedan, I may have gained in the handling department, but it would have been a bad decision in terms of practicality - that too with a family of 4!

Last edited by SmartCat : 12th June 2019 at 22:22. Reason: as requested
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 13:39   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I am very happy that I went with the 330i GT instead of the regular 330i.
Except for the suspension (which I am going to change), the car just excels in everything else - fantastic engine + gearbox, excellent legroom, lots of boot space, lots of good to have features like HUD, adaptive LED headlights, powered tail gate, panaromic sunroof etc. With the 330i sedan, I may have gained in the handling department, but it would have been a bad decision in terms of practicality - that too with a family of 4!
Be a little careful before doing that for two reasons:

1. You would lose some of that practically for which GT impressed you. Especially, if you drive with family in the car most of the times.

2. Getting it down via A.S.S would be a challenge and will be quite expensive. And if done outside, you will lose the warranty.

Your car looks awesome by the way
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 15:15   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Be a little careful before doing that for two reasons:

1. You would lose some of that practically for which GT impressed you. Especially, if you drive with family in the car most of the times.

2. Getting it down via A.S.S would be a challenge and will be quite expensive. And if done outside, you will lose the warranty.

Your car looks awesome by the way
Thank you so much for the kind words. Your ownership thread and your inputs on the GT helped me a lot in the purchase decision.

Actually, I have thought about the M Sport upgrade a lot. Not upgrading will hurt me more as my wife and younger kid were feeling motion sickness due to all that body roll and rear side bobbing on undulating roads. Also, my choice of GT was for the practicality in space it offered, not the plush ride. So, it should be fine. Nevertheless, I am still driving and evaluating the need.

I have already worked with the dealer and they are going to get all the parts from BMW and do the installation. Though this will be expensive than the retrofit solutions like a simple B6, this will not void any warranty, as I will make sure to get everything in record. Also, all the parts will be OEM BMW parts which are already listed as spare part options for India M Sport version of the GT in the BMW EKTA database.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 15:26   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

So the suspension upgrade is finalized huh?
Are you getting the adaptive dampers? And what is BMW quoting for the same?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 15:30   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for the kind words. Your ownership thread and your inputs on the GT helped me a lot in the purchase decision.
Thank you, sir. Glad to know that it was of any use.

Quote:
Actually, I have thought about the M Sport upgrade a lot. Not upgrading will hurt me more as my wife and younger kid were feeling motion sickness due to all that body roll and rear side bobbing on undulating roads.

I have already worked with the dealer and they are going to get all the parts from BMW and do the installation. Though this will be expensive than the retrofit solutions like a simple B6, this will not void any warranty, as I will make sure to get everything in record. Also, all the parts will be OEM BMW parts which are already listed as spare part options for India M Sport version of the GT in the BMW EKTA database.
Then you should definitely upgrade. In my case, the family finds it more comfortable than our earlier car and I drive quite sedately nowadays so that also helps.

Do share your experience with the new suspension set-up once it is done and tested.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 15:32   #160
BHPian

graaja, truly looking forward to your review of your new 3GT 330i. Your "teaser" photos have set the bar high!

Am in the process of replacing my 2013 Octavia 1.8TSi , and had the BMW X1- M sport version in mind (primarily because I have only owned sedans thus far). However, the day I went for a test drive , the X1 was out and the SE encouraged me to test drive the 3GT 330i. I did enjoy the drive, a short one though. Coincidentally, I saw this discussion and have been following it studiously.

When compared to the 3GT 330i, the X1 m-sport version is missing a few things - front parking sensors, cruise control, powered tailgate while gaining a X drive. Surprisingly, both have a similar ground clearance of 165 mm ! However, the GT has a longer wheelbase. The space inside does not seem greatly different.

Cost wise, the difference is not great. However, the 3GT is currently being offered with a 3 year complimentary service and maintenance package.

Now I am in a dilemma.....and would appreciate any inputs, from you or other readers that would help me make my decision.

Sometimes, however, I wonder, that in exchanging the Octy for one of these BMW's, I am going to be paying a 40L overhead mostly for "aspirational" reasons
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 15:58   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
graaja, truly looking forward to your review of your new 3GT 330i. Your "teaser" photos have set the bar high!

Am in the process of replacing my 2013 Octavia 1.8TSi , and had the BMW X1- M sport version in mind (primarily because I have only owned sedans thus far). However, the day I went for a test drive , the X1 was out and the SE encouraged me to test drive the 3GT 330i..

..Sometimes, however, I wonder, that in exchanging the Octy for one of these BMW's, I am going to be paying a 40L overhead mostly for "aspirational" reasons
Biggest difference bewtween the 330i 3GT and the X1 is what's under the hood. After the Octy 1.8 TSI you need to ask yourself whether you will be OK with the diesel powertrain. Switching from the brilliant TSI to a 4 cylinder diesel is a downgrade IMO. Otherwise both are good cars and it really depends on what appeals to you.

But if you ask me, for an Octavia TSI owner, it really should be G30 530i / 530d Vs. upcoming G01 X3 for the sedan or SUV conundrum

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th March 2018 at 16:47. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 16:32   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
So the suspension upgrade is finalized huh?
Are you getting the adaptive dampers? And what is BMW quoting for the same?
Yes. The suspension upgrade is finalized - 99.9%, unless something unexpected comes up. Not going for the adaptive dampers. Just the plain M Sport setup with the springs, struts and stabilizers. The cost of components is coming to 2.05L. Waiting for BMW dealer to quote installation charges. They have said it will take 25 days for them to get the components from Germany once the order is placed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Do share your experience with the new suspension set-up once it is done and tested.
Sure thing. Will update this thread or the ownership thread as soon as the upgrade is done.

Quote:

Am in the process of replacing my 2013 Octavia 1.8TSi...

Sometimes, however, I wonder, that in exchanging the Octy for one of these BMW's, I am going to be paying a 40L overhead mostly for "aspirational" reasons
I think your decision should be based on the fuel you choose and the preferences in terms of power, ride and handling. Between the X1 and GT, I think the GT will have better handling (though it is the worse when compared to the regular sedan) because of the longer wheel base. At the same time the X-Drive and M-Sport suspensions in the X1 M Sport should make it an equally good handler.

Coming from an Octavia 1.8 TSi with that fantastic multi-link suspension, you will definitely feel the X1 and GT to be a little bouncy.

If you are looking for a smooth petrol, then only the 330i or the 330i GT are the options and if you add practicality, 330i GT is the only choice. If you can stretch your budget, then you can consider the 530i as well, as the 530i comes with adaptive dampers which gives a very good handling. But I ruled that out due to scraping issues I found in the test drive car I tried. But from the comments from many other members here, that could have been a one off case with the TD car. So, do check that out as well.

The petrol engine in the 330i GT is a gem. It is so refined inside the cabin that many times it feels like driving an EV at city speeds. Even when driving at speeds 80 to 100, you mostly hear only a little wind noise and road noise in bad roads. After driving the 330i for a couple of weeks, when I had to take out the Jetta to show it to a prospective buyer, it really felt like being inside a lorry And Jetta is fantastic when it comes to refinement!

Also as Santosh has mentioned, after driving the 1.8TSi, only 30i petrol will satisfy you in terms of refinement and power.

If you are open to diesel, then I think you can consider the X1. The M Sport variant also comes with X-Drive and M Sport suspensions which should give a good handling. As you have only used sedans till date, take an extensive test drive of both the X1 and the GT in all types of roads and choose the one that you like the most.

The BMW does offer a lot more than just "Aspirational", but the cost proportion is quite high though. I drove the 330i GT in the winding Dimbam ghats, even with the soft ride and body roll, believe me, the RWD and the 250hp/350Nm engine + ZF8 combination made a huge difference in the fun factor.

Quote:
Missed to answer this question in my last response. No. The i-Drive Touch does not come with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. But I have seen posts in European forums that Apple Car Play is possible through software upgrade, and BMW may offer it in India as well for a fee in the future. Android Auto is not happening though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
But if you ask me, for an Octavia TSI owner, it really should be G30 530i / 530d Vs. upcoming G01 X3 for the sedan or SUV conundrum
Ha ha. You got the next prospective customer to sell the 530i

Last edited by graaja : 15th March 2018 at 16:35.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2018, 16:33   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Have started collecting pictures for the review thread which is still a few weeks out.
Congratulations Graaja sir

One humble request - Please get the alloys painted to Piano Black

OT - Time to change your signature
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 15:39   #164
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs gramma, Santosh Bhat.
I test drove the 3GT for a good time and over a variety of surfaces over the weekend. They had in fact left the vehicle with me over the weekend. Was very impressed with the driving experience and comfort. Kids and wife were happy too.
The car is being heavily discounted over the sticker price and is being really pushed by the sales guy. I was told that the one being offered was a "LCI", end 2017 production model - the most uptodate one with a digital instrument cluster and updated HUD etc.
What's the usual life cycle of these vehicles and is it being discounted as it is being phased out?
Also, what should I consider when evaluating the extended warranty and care packages.
One more question, is the BMW finance a reasonable place to discuss finance or should I go to third party/banks etc.
As always, inputs are truly appreciated.
Regards

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st March 2018 at 08:05. Reason: Fixing typo
docsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 16:01   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The car is being heavily discounted over the sticker price and is being really pushed by the sales guy. I was told that the one being offered was a "LCI", end 2017 production model - the most uptodate one with a digital instrument cluster and updated HUD etc.
It will get replaced with 4 series, like what BMW did with 5 GT sometime in 2019 so it will be a while that they will continue to sell. Higher discounts in my opinion, are not just because of this getting discontinued bit overall BMW is going very aggressive on all models to get numbers.
Quote:
What's the usual life cycle of these vehicles and is it being discounted as it is being phased out?
Around 7 Years.

Quote:
Also, what should I consider when evaluating the extended warranty and care packages.
Can buy later perhaps.

Quote:
One more question, is the BMW finance a reasonable place to discuss finance or should I go to third party/banks etc.
Very good actually, though they may be little expensive sometimes. The conveniences & hassle free approvals/ Limited documents or even Zero verification calls ( maybe few things are for regular customers). Don't bother with small differences and use them, highly recommended
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks