Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

View Poll Results: Which D2 sedan would you choose?
Volkswagen Passat 130 31.25%
Skoda Superb 177 42.55%
Toyota Camry 100 24.04%
Other (please specify in your post) 9 2.16%
Voters: 416. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2018, 11:02   #16
BHPian

Re: VW Passat vs Skoda Superb vs Toyota Camry

I would put my money on VW over Skoda. I speak out of experience of owning a Skoda already. Skoda cars are very good and I think that's where the goodness ends. When it comes to serviceability and spare parts availability I would deal with a VW dealer rather than Skoda.

Passat looks more elegant and carries a higher degree of sophistication than Superb and at this price point this makes a difference. Under the skin these cars are very close to Audi A6 and amongst the two, Passat is closer.

Personally to me, Passat represents success while Superb represents style.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st January 2018 at 17:40. Reason: Fixing typo. Kindly review / preview your post before submitting it, as provided in the guidelines / Announcements.
Old 31st January 2018, 11:05   #17
BANNED

Diesels are going to be dead in the near future and the next best alternative to pure electric is a hybrid! For me the choice is Toyota even without hybrid, if I had the $$$.
Old 31st January 2018, 11:19   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys this is a dead heat!?! We need all the voters to come out in force for a real mandate to emerge just like in an Amethi polling situation. The Passat Pistons at 31, the Superb Slingers at 31 and the Camry Challengers ahead by the hair in their noses at 32. Yeh kya hua, kaise hua, kyun hua... {old hindi film song - what has happened, how has it happened and why has it happened - a dilemma the hero often faced!}

Last edited by ampere : 31st January 2018 at 21:42. Reason: Removed aspects on voter profiles
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 11:56   #19
BHPian

My biased vote for Superb. I own Superb TSI L&K, just less than a year old now. Its absolute joy and in my view presents best value proposition. I had issues during sales process but thankfully service part is so far so good. Few squeak noise issues were promptly addressed and service staff was extra courteous.
Old 31st January 2018, 13:48   #20
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Passat!
Its solid build, looks extremely elegant and the interiors have this contrasting character –it’s big on space, but still manage to give a nice sporty feel (black interiors really help); doesn’t give that limo kind of feel associated with the likes of the Superb.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 14:06   #21
BHPian

Passat for me, I presently own a 2102 Passat (B7 model) and am absolutely delighted with its performance.

The additional features in the B8 model make it even more appealing. The depreciation is a fact that has to be considered if you intend selling the car within 5 years.
Old 31st January 2018, 14:29   #22
BHPian

Its no secret that i absolutely love Skoda and its offerings. However, i have voted for the Camry on this.

The reason is pure and simple: I want my garage to go Hybrid/EV in the next few years (to the extent possible) and when it comes to that, the Camry is absolutely fantastic. It is such a nice car to drive and to be driven around in. It comes with Toyota's bulletproof reliability and their expertise in making hybrid systems works.

We had a Camry at our home in Kuwait and it gave us zero issues in 6 years of ownership before being replaced by a Lexus.

And then there is the fact that i am absolutely smitten by how elegant the Camry looks on the move and isolates you from the world once inside.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 17:02   #23
BHPian

Voted for Passat. Reasons:

1) Classy, executive and stately looks
2) Smaller footprint when compared to the Superb
3) Adjustable damping
4) The more reliable DSG
5) Fun to drive

I just wish that the Passat came with ventilated seats and not heated seats when the positioning it more towards the cities rather than the hill stations. The older Passat came with both.

If its the backseat that I would be occupying Camry will get my vote.
Old 31st January 2018, 17:27   #24
BHPian

Wow, Interesting topic for vote today.
CAMRY FOR ME

1. Fuel-efficient, environment-friendly Hybrid technology.
2. Equipment reclining rear seats, triple-zone climate, powered sunshade, ventilated seats etc.
3. Spacious, premium sedan with outstanding levels of refinement
4. Lexus-esque exterior styling. Great road presence. A family member has one in the US love the look.
5. Neutral ride and handling balance.
6. Toyota’s bullet-proof reliability and superb after-sales service

On a quirky note though. Like the song of “If You Wanna Be Happy” by Jimmy Soul. My take:
From the head not the heart!
If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty car your drive
so for my personal point of view
buy a Sensible reliable car to be with you.
A pretty car may give you a great drive
and very often can cause your ruin
it could in many ways start
To do the things that will break your heart!

But if you make a reliable car your drive
you’ll be happy for the rest of your life
A Reliable car will not just save your time
she’ll always give you peace of mind
So let your friends say you have no taste
Go ahead and buy her anyway
though her face may is ugly, her lights don't match
Take it from me, she's a better fetch.
Say man!
Hey baby!
I saw your Car the other day!
Yeah?
Yeah, an' she's ugly!
Yeah, she's ugly, but she, ma baby!
Yeah, alright!
If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a German car your drive
As when u have to service her from time to time
There is no wining and delays at the other end
so for my personal point of view
buy a Jap sensible reliable car to be with you.
ToothyPetrohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 20:53   #25
BHPian

My vote is for Skoda Superb. I own a Skoda Rapid, a pre-worshiped VW Jetta (just acquired) and used to own an Octavia. The German's kinda ticks all the boxes in my book.

1. Very sensible design, class leading comfort and safety.
2. The next best thing to Superb is either a E-Class or 5-Series. Audi, well not a fan!
3. Somewhat future-proof, having all the necessary technology of this era.
4. ASS has improved vastly, I don't know about other stories. From my personal experience Skoda ASS has not ripped me off, didn't have any parts delay rather than normal and the DSG vow's are now almost non-existent on this side of country. (Personal experiences with fellow owners here who has a plethora of VAG DSG cars)
5. From Superb it will be a sensible upgrade to proper luxury segment, like a Range Rover, and the German Trio. So you get to experience the same for a lesser price for a longer time.
RevJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 09:22   #26
BHPian

Skoda Superb it is for me!

I haven't driven the Passat yet, but as I can see from the review, its no corner carving driver's car just like the Superb. In that case, according to me its poorly positioned as it's neither as spacious and dashing as the Superb, nor as engaging to drive like the Octavia or the vRS.

And, I am someone who puts much more importance on the pleasure of driving than decade long reliability. So, the Camry doesn't cut it for me.
mrinmoy_s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 09:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

I surprised myself and voted for the Camry in this poll!

I quite like the way it looks on road - very sleek! Yes, there is an abundance of chrome, but there is a good looking car underneath all that bling. The seats are also good and I haven't even got to the best bit yet - that hybrid power train. All in, it makes something like 200 bhp. So, it is absolutely my choice for a chauffeur driven car. Will be a smooth, hassle free ownership and I wouldn't lose much money on fuel or resale either.

But, if I am driving and I had this budget to bring a car home, I would pick none from this poll. And that car would be the new Octavia vRS. Passat or Superb is just too massive for my liking. And I badly want to own a machine with a great petrol engine.

If it was between the Passat and Superb, I would pick the Skoda though. The design is spot on and hides the bulk well. Looks much more compact than the new Passat despite it being the bigger of the two.

The new Camry has quite a fan following even in the strong diesel market of Kerala. I used to see a lot of new cars on road before the GST gaffe.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 11:20   #28
Team-BHP Support

Skoda should take pride in the way this poll is going. And that pride should translate to a resolve of making the after-sales experience better. Not into ego and indifference in not looking after customer expectations.

I feel bad for the Passat; such a pretty car un-done by pricing and lack of a petrol option. Funny are the ways of VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Guys this is a dead heat!?! We need all the voters to come out in force for a real mandate to emerge just like in an Amethi polling situation. The Passat Pistons at 31, the Superb Slingers at 31 and the Camry Challengers ahead by the hair in their noses at 32.
Hah! Your war cry clearly back-fired.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 13:57   #29
BHPian

I am not a rich guy. I work real hard for my money. I can never have the heart to spend so much on a VW or Skoda. I vote for Camry.
jassi_jeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 15:00   #30
BHPian

I'd go up a segment or chose the BMW 330i over any of these. The simple fact of the matter is, at their current pricing, they've all become too dear to realistically consider for me. If I couldn't stretch the budget, I'd buy the Skoda Octavia VRS. If it had to be one of these, it would be a toss up between the Passat and the Superb. I chose other.

Last edited by imp! : 1st February 2018 at 15:04.

Most Viewed