Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2018, 00:29   #1
BHPian

2016 BMW X1 Upgrade - Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi or another BMW?

Hi folks,

So we have decided to change / upgrade one of our latest acquisition the 2016 BMW F48 X1. It's a brilliant car no-doubt and we have no complaints but it also turns out to be the primary car of my grandpa who's 65 and finds the X1 low and stiff. The rear seats aren't that great either with very low thigh support. It wasn' his decision to change but we see him using the 'Ritz' with upgraded seat covers which includes foam more than the X1 so its mostly lying unused hence planning to change it to something 'more comfortable, more spacious' more usable. Sedans are a no due to the same fact that the low seating positions makes ingress egress more difficult for him. I have shortlisted the following options, really looking for opinions of fellow bhpians;

1. New Audi Q5
2. Land Rover Discovery Sport (Top end)
3. Land Rover Discovery (Getting a deal)
4. Merc GLC
5. Lexus NX
6. Volvo XC60
7. Upcoming BMW X3 (Last in the list as it would be another BMW)
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 00:42   #2
GT3
BHPian

re: 2016 BMW X1 Upgrade - Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi or another BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
'more comfortable, more spacious' more usable.
Go for the Innova Crysta. You will not regret your decision unless you aspire for brand value. Get the 2.8 Z as the automatic transmission will give a more jerk free ride than a manual unless the driver is extremely good. Also I recommend changing from the 17" wheels to 16" which will give a smoother ride and take care of the sidewall issue.
GT3 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 01:03   #3
BHPian

From the list, without the shadow of a doubt you should pick the XC60. Let him take it out for a TD and itll most likely be game, set and match. Probably the championship.

If that aint upto par then only the S, 7, A8, Panamera and the likes will be worthy.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 01:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

A bit OT but are you planning to retain the X1 or sell it? I'm asking since you're selling it in just 2 years and you'll be taking a big depreciation hit.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 01:58   #5
BHPian

My suggestion will be Volvo XC60. It is better than the best. Ingress and egress will be much easier for him with lot of creature comforts and safety features.
Old 30th January 2018, 09:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 View Post
Go for the Innova Crysta. You will not regret your decision unless you aspire for brand value. Get the 2.8 Z as the automatic transmission will give a more jerk free ride than a manual unless the driver is extremely good. Also I recommend changing from the 17" wheels to 16" which will give a smoother ride and take care of the sidewall issue.
I will second this. That would be one comfortable car for elderly people. Innova top end will serve him better and he will feel comfortable in that car to be chauffeured around with all the safety features. Also don't sell your X1 now and take the depreciation hit.

On the other hand, I would say pick the NX300h or XC60 if you still want to go for another luxury mark. Stay away from the BMW and F-Pace for your grandpa. He will again feel all the bumps in the road. Make him sit in the car and take the test drive on his regular route.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 10:07   #7
BHPian

I feel you should also consider the Hexa if the crysta is making it to the list. Will work out way cheaper with a ride quality as good as most premium vehicles you have in your list. The official review is a tribute to this and I suppose many here will vouch for it. Do consider it if brand and the premium tag is not on top of the requirements.
Old 30th January 2018, 10:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,
...it also turns out to be the primary car of my grandpa who's 65 and finds the X1 low and stiff. The rear seats aren't that great either with very low thigh support. It wasn' his decision to change but we see him using the 'Ritz' with upgraded seat covers which includes foam more than the X1...the low seating positions makes ingress egress more difficult for him. I have shortlisted the following options, really looking for opinions of fellow bhpians;

1. New Audi Q5
2. Land Rover Discovery Sport (Top end)
3. Land Rover Discovery (Getting a deal)
4. Merc GLC
5. Lexus NX
6. Volvo XC60
7. Upcoming BMW X3 (Last in the list as it would be another BMW)
How tall is your grand father? My Volvo XC60 is a great car, reasonable rear seat comfort, reasonable rear seat space but my mother and aunt (both in their '80s and 5'0" in height) have to make an effort to mount on to its seats. You may want to have him do a trial of ingress-egress and leg space and seat comfort.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 10:39   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2016 BMW X1 Upgrade - Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi or another BMW?

Quote:
So we have decided to change / upgrade one of our latest acquisition the 2016 BMW F48 X1
Isn't there someone else who can use the X1 and give their (more friendly) car to grandpa? Saying this because you will lose an awful lot of money in depreciation.

Agreed with GT3 too. Try to do whatever you can to make the X1 fit his usage:

1. Downsize rims to 16 inchers.

2. Lower the tyre pressure a bit in the city.

3. Get comfort-oriented tyres.

4. Make him sit in the front which is way more comfortable than the back seat - related thread.

Many have suggested the Innova Crysta and no doubt, it's a brilliant car to be chauffeur-driven in. However, it's tough for old people to get in (my Mum cannot) and the low speed ride quality isn't plush either.

Quote:
I have shortlisted the following options, really looking for opinions of fellow bhpians
You don't want to repeat a mistake by picking the wrong car again. Would suggest first asking him about his brand & design preferences; then, based on the filtered list, have him test-drive the rear seat, ingress & egress and ride quality in detail.

Also consider the new E-Class & Kodiaq.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 13:01   #10
BHPian

I have the new F48 X1 and can clearly understand what you are saying. But hold on! My other rides include a Jetta and Linea (both of which are absolutely great when it comes to ride quality) and X1s super stiff ride on the RFTs was a shock to me especially on bad roads. Makes you feel like you are running on tyres made of rocks. A month back I had a tyre burst, and that was it. Decided to throw away the RFTs(just 4300 kms on the odo) and switch over to tubeless. I had a very difficult time in procuring the tyres & finally switched over to Yokohama C drive 2(OEM tyres on a Merc). The difference is unbelievable. I upsized to 235/50 giving it that slight but crucial increase in sidewall & width. Now the X1 is very comfortable, absolutely silent on the highway and whats more the body roll has also reduced. If I was to sit in the X1 now with my eyes closed I can easily pass it as a way more expensive luxury SAV rather than the hot hatch on steroids with low profile tyres feel. Thats how bad these RFT tyres are.

Now the story of procuring the tyres. Waited for weeks and first switched over to Conti sportcontact 5. Those tyres were even better with lesser noise and improved handling. But when I reached home I understood the tyre shop had put 2 normal contisportcontact5s and 2 contisportcontact5 SUV tyres(looked wider). They also scratched the diamond cut alloy rims while changing the RFTs. They agreed to switch the SUV tyres with normal ones but a week later they informed me that sportcontact5s in the said spec isn't available anymore so finally I decided to switch to Yoko cdrive2. My only other option was to import tyres from Tirerack. But since the car was lying idle for almost a month I decided to drop that plan. BMW quoted 33k for an RFT, Contisportcontact 5 was offered for 21.5k and finally Yoko Cdrive2 for 16.5k per wheel. Even with the not very expensive Yoko C drive2 X1 has completely transformed. Contis offered better handling than the Yokos, & both the Yoko and Contis are way better than the Pirelli RFTs that came with the car.

So if ride quality, road noise etc.. is the trouble you have with the X1, upsize to 235/50 R18 tubeless and you will feel like you have bought another car. We all believe BMW is the epitome of engineering but I would really like to meet the guy who decided to pass on these RFTs to Indian shores. They had enough time to Indianise the car(no front sensors, no passenger seatbelt warning) but decided to stick with RFTs on an 18 inch low profile wheel in a country filled with potholes! I can't find any logic with them.

The stance of the X1 has also changed. She now looks a lot like a baby X5. Cruising down the highway at 90 kmph feels like 60 and moving over potholes makes me feel like there is an additional layer of air underneath. Go too fast and the car will still remind you that its running on 18 inchers, but except that, I now love this car. I'm sure the X1 would've received even better reviews if it came with this tyre spec. May be BMW wanted to differentiate it with the new X3. Wanted to post this after munching some more miles on the new tyres. Hope this helps someone.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 13:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
X1s super stiff ride on the RFTs was a shock to me especially on bad roads. Makes you feel like you are running on tyres made of rocks.
Is the X1 that bad? I have heard a lot of people complaining. I have been using an X1 for little over a year now and neither my wife nor me has found the ride that bad. However this is our first luxury car so maybe we are finding it comfortable compared to our previous cars.

Quote:
Go for the Innova Crysta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I feel you should also consider the Hexa if the crysta is making it to the list.
2 excellent suggestions. My vote goes for the Hexa here. Tata is not the king of reliability but neither is the Crysta. The old Innova was a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Isn't there someone else who can use the X1 and give their (more friendly) car to grandpa? Saying this because you will lose an awful lot of money in depreciation.
Exactly my thoughts when I posted earlier.

Quote:
Downsize rims to 16 inchers.
Are 16" rims available for the X1? I think the base model comes with 17". He may have to go for aftermarket rims.
Old 30th January 2018, 21:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Did check out the Innova Crysta before getting the X1. The NVH and ride isn't that great but it can't be denied its a great highway cruiser and one of the most comfortable one even if we compare it to cars costing a couple of millions more than it so the Innova is a no for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
From the list, without the shadow of a doubt you should pick the XC60. Let him take it out for a TD and itll most likely be game, set and match. Probably the championship.

If that aint upto par then only the S, 7, A8, Panamera and the likes will be worthy.
Trying to see if I can get a TD of the XC60 as this car will be used in Patna and after the OSL dealership for Volvo shut it leaves the entire eastern India with no Volvo dealerships IIRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
A bit OT but are you planning to retain the X1 or sell it? I'm asking since you're selling it in just 2 years and you'll be taking a big depreciation hit.
Sell it but will wait for the right price. Wont be selling it for more than 20-25% depreciation IN ANY CASE on what price I paid for it OTR 1.5 years back
Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
My suggestion will be Volvo XC60. It is better than the best. Ingress and egress will be much easier for him with lot of creature comforts and safety features.
The poor dealership network....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
I will second this. That would be one comfortable car for elderly people. Innova top end will serve him better and he will feel comfortable in that car to be chauffeured around with all the safety features. Also don't sell your X1 now and take the depreciation hit.

On the other hand, I would say pick the NX300h or XC60 if you still want to go for another luxury mark. Stay away from the BMW and F-Pace for your grandpa. He will again feel all the bumps in the road. Make him sit in the car and take the test drive on his regular route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I feel you should also consider the Hexa if the crysta is making it to the list. Will work out way cheaper with a ride quality as good as most premium vehicles you have in your list. The official review is a tribute to this and I suppose many here will vouch for it. Do consider it if brand and the premium tag is not on top of the requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
How tall is your grand father? My Volvo XC60 is a great car, reasonable rear seat comfort, reasonable rear seat space but my mother and aunt (both in their '80s and 5'0" in height) have to make an effort to mount on to its seats. You may want to have him do a trial of ingress-egress and leg space and seat comfort.
Thanks sir, point noted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Agreed with GT3 too. Try to do whatever you can to make the X1 fit his usage:

1. Downsize rims to 16 inchers.

2. Lower the tyre pressure a bit in the city.

3. Get comfort-oriented tyres.

4. Make him sit in the front which is way more comfortable than the back seat - related thread.

Many have suggested the Innova Crysta and no doubt, it's a brilliant car to be chauffeur-driven in. However, it's tough for old people to get in (my Mum cannot) and the low speed ride quality isn't plush either.

You don't want to repeat a mistake by picking the wrong car again. Would suggest first asking him about his brand & design preferences; then, based on the filtered list, have him test-drive the rear seat, ingress & egress and ride quality in detail.

Also consider the new E-Class & Kodiaq.
Reason highlighted in bold was exactly the reason the Crysta wasn't bought in the first place. He doesn't have any brand preference as such and mostly uses the front seats in the city but even that isn't too plush either with the X1. Low, poor thigh support to name a few. He infact prefers his Ritz with upgraded foam more than this and this car was entirely bought for him so anyone else using it isn't really an option. Moreover, OT but its us who are pushing him for an upgrade as he's the reason for where and what we are today and for all the love he has given us we want something plush and special still keeping in mind the budget
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
I have the new F48 X1 and can clearly understand what you are saying. But hold on! My other rides include a Jetta and Linea (both of which are absolutely great when it comes to ride quality) and X1s super stiff ride on the RFTs was a shock to me especially on bad roads. Makes you feel like you are running on tyres made of rocks. A month back I had a tyre burst, and that was it. Decided to throw away the RFTs(just 4300 kms on the odo) and switch over to tubeless. I had a very difficult time in procuring the tyres & finally switched over to Yokohama C drive 2(OEM tyres on a Merc). The difference is unbelievable. I upsized to 235/50 giving it that slight but crucial increase in sidewall & width. Now the X1 is very comfortable, absolutely silent on the highway and whats more the body roll has also reduced. If I was to sit in the X1 now with my eyes closed I can easily pass it as a way more expensive luxury SAV rather than the hot hatch on steroids with low profile tyres feel. Thats how bad these RFT tyres are.

Now the story of procuring the tyres. Waited for weeks and first switched over to Conti sportcontact 5. Those tyres were even better with lesser noise and improved handling. But when I reached home I understood the tyre shop had put 2 normal contisportcontact5s and 2 contisportcontact5 SUV tyres(looked wider). They also scratched the diamond cut alloy rims while changing the RFTs. They agreed to switch the SUV tyres with normal ones but a week later they informed me that sportcontact5s in the said spec isn't available anymore so finally I decided to switch to Yoko cdrive2. My only other option was to import tyres from Tirerack. But since the car was lying idle for almost a month I decided to drop that plan. BMW quoted 33k for an RFT, Contisportcontact 5 was offered for 21.5k and finally Yoko Cdrive2 for 16.5k per wheel. Even with the not very expensive Yoko C drive2 X1 has completely transformed. Contis offered better handling than the Yokos, & both the Yoko and Contis are way better than the Pirelli RFTs that came with the car.

So if ride quality, road noise etc.. is the trouble you have with the X1, upsize to 235/50 R18 tubeless and you will feel like you have bought another car. We all believe BMW is the epitome of engineering but I would really like to meet the guy who decided to pass on these RFTs to Indian shores. They had enough time to Indianise the car(no front sensors, no passenger seatbelt warning) but decided to stick with RFTs on an 18 inch low profile wheel in a country filled with potholes! I can't find any logic with them.

The stance of the X1 has also changed. She now looks a lot like a baby X5. Cruising down the highway at 90 kmph feels like 60 and moving over potholes makes me feel like there is an additional layer of air underneath. Go too fast and the car will still remind you that its running on 18 inchers, but except that, I now love this car. I'm sure the X1 would've received even better reviews if it came with this tyre spec. May be BMW wanted to differentiate it with the new X3. Wanted to post this after munching some more miles on the new tyres. Hope this helps someone.
Do understand what you're saying but theres more to the concern than the ride quality ie low seating position, less under thigh support, high levels of NVH, etc...
Old 30th January 2018, 21:18   #13
BHPian

So I showed him the F-Pace and the New Q5 today. He seemed to really like the new Q5 and even I was surprised by the superb NVH levels and ride quality it offers. Trying to manage a TD of the XC60 and Discovery Sport now and taking a call. Keep your opinions coming.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 22:48   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I showed him the F-Pace and the New Q5 today. He seemed to really like the new Q5 and even I was surprised by the superb NVH levels and ride quality it offers. Trying to manage a TD of the XC60 and Discovery Sport now and taking a call. Keep your opinions coming.
Great you did what I was going to suggest that as the location is Patna and availability of a dealer support is a question for Lexus and Volvo you should check out the Q5. Think of the Cresta too if the brand suits your grandfather's needs. I am creeping to your grand father's age and can fully empathize with him. The body gets less supple no matter how fit you are and with age it dislikes bending and crouching; it dislikes bumps and cramped spaces; it dislikes noise. The Lexus NX wont do - less leg space at the rear though NVH and soft ride is very very decent - and no local dealer support I think. Make sure your grandfather rides in the car before selection.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 22:55   #15
BHPian

Quote:
So we have decided to change / upgrade one of our latest acquisition the 2016 BMW F48 X1.
I’ll advise you to not consider the GLC out of the equation yet, since comfort is its forte. I’ll ask Tristar Motors to send you over a vehicle for an extensive TD before you leave town.

P.S - I’m in talks with Volvo India sending you over a TD vehicle from a dealership in North India, so keep your fingers crossed.

Quote:
Great you did what I was going to suggest that as the location is Patna and availability of a dealer support is a question for Lexus and Volvo you should check out the Q5.
That’s exactly what I said when the OP sent me a text asking me what all cars could be added to the prospectives list.
Since there’s no Lexus or Volvo dealer where we reside, I advised Aditya Bhaiya against going for something that isn’t common on our roads yet, as having our grandfather stranded in the middle of the road without support isn’t a risk we can take.

Quote:
Make sure your grandfather rides in the car before selection.
+1

Last edited by AShubrah : 30th January 2018 at 23:23.
AShubrah is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed