Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2018, 08:34   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2016 BMW X1 Upgrade - Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi or another BMW?

If the mind is set to replace the X1 then I would suggest narrowing down to the new Q5 or the upcoming X3. From the international reviews, the problems you mentioned with the X1 are kind of non-existent in the X3. For the location you mentioned, mainstream luxury brands maybe a better bet.
Old 31st January 2018, 17:13   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Great you did what I was going to suggest that as the location is Patna and availability of a dealer support is a question for Lexus and Volvo you should check out the Q5. Think of the Cresta too if the brand suits your grandfather's needs. I am creeping to your grand father's age and can fully empathize with him. The body gets less supple no matter how fit you are and with age it dislikes bending and crouching; it dislikes bumps and cramped spaces; it dislikes noise. The Lexus NX wont do - less leg space at the rear though NVH and soft ride is very very decent - and no local dealer support I think. Make sure your grandfather rides in the car before selection.
Yes sir, dealer network was one of the major reason for considering the Audi as they have a good presence in Patna and even the car turned out very supple and refined. Heard similar feedback about the Lexus hence tempted to try it once along with Volvo, the nearest dealer seem to happen in Delhi which is 14 hr drive away from Patna. Will try to get him a TD of those but it'd mostly be a more mainstream brand like Audi or Merc or Volvo if they open up a dealership in Kolkata which is 9 hr drive from Patna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
I’ll advise you to not consider the GLC out of the equation yet, since comfort is its forte. I’ll ask Tristar Motors to send you over a vehicle for an extensive TD before you leave town.

P.S - I’m in talks with Volvo India sending you over a TD vehicle from a dealership in North India, so keep your fingers crossed.
Love you for all the efforts bro. Your opinion will surely have a lot of weightage in the final decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If the mind is set to replace the X1 then I would suggest narrowing down to the new Q5 or the upcoming X3. From the international reviews, the problems you mentioned with the X1 are kind of non-existent in the X3. For the location you mentioned, mainstream luxury brands maybe a better bet.
Yup but almost ruled out a BMW as there have been many in the family in the last 2-3 years.

Final shortlist includes;
1. Audi Q5
2. Merc GLC
3. Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Luxury
4. Volvo XC60
5. Lexus NX
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 18:22   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
I’ll advise you to not consider the GLC out of the equation yet, since comfort is its forte. I’ll ask Tristar Motors to send you over a vehicle for an extensive TD before you leave town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Yes sir, dealer network was one of the major reason for considering the Audi...it'd mostly be a more mainstream brand like Audi or Merc or Volvo if they open up a dealership in Kolkata which is 9 hr drive from Patna.

Final shortlist includes;
1. Audi Q5
2. Merc GLC
3. Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Luxury
4. Volvo XC60
5. Lexus NX
I endorse the advice of AShubrah. Look at the GLC. One of my Board members has had one for some years and hasn't had any complaints. He is in his sixties. The first two options highlighted are your best bets given the need for A.S.S. If a Volvo dealership is almost certain in Patna only then think of XC60. Lexus won't open a dealership anytime soon. Best of luck. We are watching your decision with happy eyes.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 19:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...we have decided to upgrade..the 2016 BMW F48 X1....car of my grandpa who's 65 and finds the X1 low and stiff.
6. Volvo XC60
I am surprised to see your comment on X1 as 'Low'. Majority of the similar priced SAVs have more or less the same seat heights. My Mum is 67 and she finds it very comfortable with our X1's height, even if she is asked to get out and get in every 30 mts of a long drive, its that comfortable (her height 5.5). Stiffness of the ride could be the RFTs, there is no other alternative as of now due to safety concerns. GLC backseat is not that great ! Anyway, my suggestion to your shortlist = XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
.....finally switched over to Yokohama C drive ....both the Yoko and Contis are way better than the Pirelli RFTs that came with the car.... RFTs to Indian shores. They had enough time to Indianise the car....can't find any logic with them..
I hope you are aware of the threads/posts that mentioned moving to tubeless and returning to RFTs due to heavy compromise on safety. RFTs are provided for a reason, there are plenty of discussions about it here as well as on international forums. Have a check !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Is the X1 that bad? I have heard a lot of people complaining. I have been using an X1 for little over a year now and neither my wife nor me has found the ride that bad.
Not at all !! Its an excellent car by any means. We love it and its a reliable car on highways so far. I will never move to tubeless after reading through plenty of people who moved and reversed. Bit of tire noise is better than compromising on safety and overall handling of the vehicle originally put in place by its engineers. And those engineers are some of the best in the industry !
Old 31st January 2018, 20:15   #20
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Have him try out any new car you are considering.

2) Modify the seats of the X1 and add higher profile tyres on smaller rim size first.

3) New Q5 rear seats too suffer from smaller seat base and space though height is fine.

4) XC 60 and New X3 might be the best options. Of course try the GLC seats too.
Old 1st February 2018, 12:26   #21
BHPian

If none of these luxury cars make the cut, I suggest you to have a look at Tucson. Getting in & out of the car is easy, ride quality is good & arguably better reliability & A.S.S compared to luxury brands.
PS: You can have a look at Santa Fe as well if you visit Hyundai.
Old 1st February 2018, 13:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

My vote would be for the Volvo XC 60 and in second place would be the Q5. However, if it is your grand dads comfort that is primary then nothing beats the Innova Crysta. The variant with the rear captain seats is extremely good.

That way you get to keep the X1 and avoid losing a lot of money due to the depreciation from selling it after just 2 years.
Old 1st February 2018, 13:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Is the X1 that bad? I have heard a lot of people complaining. I have been using an X1 for little over a year now and neither my wife nor me has found the ride that bad. However this is our first luxury car so maybe we are finding it comfortable compared to our previous cars.
It depends a lot on the kind of roads you have. On smooth highways and shallow potholes X1 on RFTs behave fine. Give it some rough highways and deeper potholes and the ride gets unbearable on RFTs. This is the first time we are upsizing tyres within an year of ownership so you can guess how bad it should be when compared to other cars at home. & I'm from Kerala where road conditions are a hit or miss. During Christmas time me and my family were travelling through some broken roads and I was really sweating it out due to the ride. I was slowing down to below 20kmph for every pothole but still the car was all over the place with loads of 'THUDS'. My dad was looking at me like why is this car "Thudding" everywhere. There was an impatient Vento guy following me and he was honking bad because of my driving. Let him pass and I see other cars moving ahead at a better pace while here I'm in a BMW startled.

Quote:
Do understand what you're saying but theres more to the concern than the ride quality ie low seating position, less under thigh support, high levels of NVH, etc...
As I said earlier Tubeless tyres can only iron out Tyre noise and rough ride. The new XC60 should be a good choice for you. I have spent some good time in my friends XC90 and its a solid, comfortable SUV with top notch materials and features put together with a very simplistic Swedish touch. But make sure you take your Grandpa on a long test drive because the Air suspension has polarised opinions. We loved it due to its ability to gobble up potholes but my friends dad hates it for the wallowy & wavy boat like feeling on the highway. Just giving you a heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Stiffness of the ride could be the RFTs, there is no other alternative as of now due to safety concerns. GLC backseat is not that great ! Anyway, my suggestion to your shortlist = XC60

I hope you are aware of the threads/posts that mentioned moving to tubeless and returning to RFTs due to heavy compromise on safety. RFTs are provided for a reason, there are plenty of discussions about it here as well as on international forums. Have a check !

Not at all !! Its an excellent car by any means. We love it and its a reliable car on highways so far. I will never move to tubeless after reading through plenty of people who moved and reversed. Bit of tire noise is better than compromising on safety and overall handling of the vehicle originally put in place by its engineers. And those engineers are some of the best in the industry !
I'm sorry for hijacking your thread AdisinghV12 but may be I can clear some air with respect to RFTs. Shaju I had done my homework with respect to RFTs vs tubeless safety concerns and this is what I have to say:

1. If I was to have a tyre blow out @ unmentionable triple digit speeds on the Autobahn, may be RFTs would be safer. Or if I was driving around in a dangerous place RFTs can help me limp back to a safer place. Now both these situations are irrelevant to me. If I was to exploit the sheer driving pleasure and speed thrills I would've probably gone for the 3GT. But I'm in India and we all know how unsafe higher speeds can be due to the surprises on the road. X1 is for practicality too.

2. The handling of the car has only improved after the tyre swap. With the Contis I felt even more confident on the corners than the low slung Jetta. With the comfy Yokohamas handling and stability is still better than Pirelli RFTs. May be the upsize(235/50) has a role here.

3. X1 is available in many countries with tubeless tyres as an option. And the suspension set up is same for both. Most of the M performance cars as well 'i' series comes with tubeless tyres. Whats more even Volvos are fitted with tubeless tyres. So I don't think there's too much to worry about safety.

4. We have been using tubeless tyres on cars for all these years and this is the first time I'm having a tyre burst. Thanks to RFT. You can't drive around easy with a flat RFT. It was making a heavy rubbing sound on the move. Anyone who loves his car will immediately use the space saver. Add to that RFTs once used flat can't be repaired.

Now I'm not someone from an engineering background. But I'm a curious guy who looks deeper into stuff added/missing on the car. BMW engineers has missed the following facts with the X1:
#RFTs instead of tubeless
#No front sensors (very useful in small roads and tight spaces)
#No headlamp washers (my Jetta has it and is useful in our driving conditions)
#Small seats. Good for people with average built only.
#No passenger seat belt warning(should I emphasize its importance in India?)
Despite these short comings its the best compact SUV out there for me (a fine blend of practicality & performance) atleast until XC40 shows up. There are so many pros which I'm not listing out here. Always wanted to write a detailed review but guess I'm lazy. Can't find enough time.

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 1st February 2018 at 13:52.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 14:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
.....I had done my homework with respect to RFTs vs tubeless safety concerns ....I'm not someone from an engineering background......
Your faith and comfort is what matters more than anyone's opinions, some total stranger's review or someone's bad day ! I was a customer who asked about tubeless swap after the test drive itself. Because the road noise was something I could not tolerate. Then I waited for someone else to do the same. I heard from various people, so decided against it.

Love to see your car when I am in Cochin next time, although I am planning to pass on the X1 to my wife in few months and upgrade to a Porsche
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 01:22   #25
BHPian

Quick update, checked out the GLC, new X3 and the Lexus NX. and the shortlist got a little shorter by a couple of cars. The X3, well it just felt exactly like the X1 with both interior and exterior magnified by 20%. The GLC felt too plain and boring and even the ride wasn't as plush as that of the Audi. Was running late for a flight so couldn't drive the NX but felt really well built. The final contenders to choose from now is (their top-end variants)
Audi Q5
Lexus NX
Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux
Volvo XC60
Old 23rd March 2018, 20:15   #26
BHPian

Quick update guys, having checked out a lot of cars came to the conclusion that none of the options here are very very special as its for my grandpa for whom I wish to get something special this time no matter if I have to upside down the budget. Decided to postpone the purchase a little and get 'The most comfortable SUV which is not very huge (anything smaller than the LWB Range Rover). Will purchase in the next 6 months or so by god's grace so feel free to advise. Shortlisted the following;

- Audi Q7
- Range Rover Sport (outgoing)
- Range Rover (outgoing)
- Mercedes GLE Coupe
- Bentayga Diesel

Badge and tech isn't important. Just want the S Class of SUVs which feels special.
Old 27th March 2018, 12:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Shortlisted the following;
- Audi Q7
- Range Rover (outgoing)
- Mercedes GLE Coupe
- Bentayga Diesel
Your intentions are so pure. All above except Bentayga are a common sight may be because of the badge and comfort level. Why dont you include Porsche cayenne and volvo XC60 or XC90?
Mission_PGPX is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 14:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Your intentions are so pure. All above except Bentayga are a common sight may be because of the badge and comfort level. Why dont you include Porsche cayenne and volvo XC60 or XC90?
Cayenne I didn’t because it’s more on the sportier side and is due for an upgrade soon and Volvo XC90 lacks a good engine. Need something subtle only for grandpa but the 2.0 in such a huge car is a little extra subtle and also the car will mostly be used in Patna and surprisingly the nearest dealer that was 500 kms away, the Kolkata dealership has also been shut so as shocking as it may sound there’s no Volvo dealer in the entire eastern India
Old 27th March 2018, 15:54   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not look at the BMW 6GT as an option?
Decent ground clearance, and should be quite spacious and comfortable inside given the air suspension, etc.

If you want something special - the Bentayga definitely stands out more than the Q7 and others you've listed.
Old 28th March 2018, 14:38   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quick update guys, having checked out a lot of cars came to the conclusion that none of the options here are very very special as its for my grandpa for whom I wish to get something special this time no matter if I have to upside down the budget. Decided to postpone the purchase a little and get 'The most comfortable SUV which is not very huge (anything smaller than the LWB Range Rover).

- Audi Q7
- Range Rover (outgoing)
- Mercedes GLE Coupe
- Bentayga Diesel
Don't know the prices in India but I checked Bentayga here in Canada, most of them are 300 K + CAD so I don't think Indian prices will be less than 3 Crores

I must add, this looks very different (read as good) when seen in the flesh, pictures somehow don't do justice. Unlike India, I could see around 6 of these, brand new, 2 ready for delivery but I am not sure if it will be a right choice for everyday use especially considering your reservations on the service.

Range Rover - they sell only LWB in India which you have ruled out and if aesthetics are not important, try Discovery over Sports, it's more comfortable and cheaper, I believe they are running some promotions on the 2017 models like 5 lac or so and perhaps more on the Petrol. Since you already own a Jaguar product, it can be a worthy upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 BMW X1 Upgrade - Jaguar, Lexus, Mercedes, Audi or another BMW?-1.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th March 2018 at 14:45.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed