Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

View Poll Results: Which 5 seater Luxury SUV for comfort and presence?
Audi Q5 2018 13 26.53%
Mercedes GLE 250 22 44.90%
Other 14 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2018, 13:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLE vs others

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wouldn't agree with this statement for someone who prioritises ride quality. It's like your dentist telling you "my treatment will result in permanent pain, but you'll get used to it in due time". If one's top priority is comfort, there should be no compromises on that.
Yeah true as per his requirements. While getting the X5, ride quality and comfort were not on our top list, so it wasn't a deal breaker for us. In fact it's not that worse either like ACM described. Since his main priority is comfort, DPE should give him the best of both worlds: creamy 6 cylinder and the ride quality .
Old 6th March 2018, 13:59   #17
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since your friend has the budget, would also suggest test-drives of the Q7 & XC90. From your list, my pick would be the GLS.
Will try to get him to test drive the GLS though he feels it is a bit of a bus and yet has superb presence. It would have been my choice.

The Q7 is a 7 seater Q5 with a better looking dash (airvents) running all through.

Merc brand impresses him the most followed by Audi and BMW.

He though does own 2 last gen Q5s with his very immediate family members in different cities that he drives when visiting.

He is not yet able to get his mind around a XC60-90 Volvo.

I had convinced him of the Jag brand but then F-Pace failed miserably.

By the way both Mercedes and BMW give greater discounts if you already have 2 (for BMW) or 3 (for Mercedes) in your house. They include Fortuner as a Luxury vehicle. I guess basis price for this purpose.

So if you are doing well enough to own 3 such vehicles they give you a bigger discount for your 4th purchase.

Last edited by ACM : 6th March 2018 at 14:00.
Old 6th March 2018, 14:28   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
By the way both Mercedes and BMW give greater discounts if you already have 2 (for BMW) or 3 (for Mercedes) in your house
Can you share the discounts you are getting on X5 and GLE/ GLS? I think BMW is passing 7 Lac discount plus additional 50,000/ 100,000 for existing owners, add 3-4 % dealer margin that they should pass from their side which should bring the ex-showroom to around 70 Lac. And as I tell always, negotiate on Ex-showroom and later add other charges and see wherever you can save like on Insurance or extended warranties.

GLS is a large truck, will be a pain to drive and maintain in Mumbai and should be considered if he is going to get chauffered mostly.

Quote:
He is not yet able to get his mind around a XC60-90 Volvo.
fair, but tell him to do check once. Perhaps also visit Lexus for NX, though I found the ride very bad but to me, it looked a vehicle specific issue.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th March 2018 at 14:31.
Old 6th March 2018, 15:42   #19
BHPian

The XC60 looks to be the best choice here IMO. It fits all his requirements.

The engine is quite refined, the rear seat is comfortable, ride quality is excellent and the car comes loaded to the gills with equipment.

Please tell your friend to have a look at the Team Bhp XC60 review.

Last edited by Prathiiik : 6th March 2018 at 15:44.
Old 6th March 2018, 16:07   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Am posting this thread on behalf of my friend who does a lot of his car research on TBHP but is not a member. He has even joined me on one of our TBHP meets.

His Current Garage: Mercedes E200 (2016), Fortuner 4X2 MT Previous Gen, and an Etios Liva as a Beater. The Fortuner will be the one to go after this purchase.
Well as far as luxury SUV's go, we can divide it into three categories: Small, Medium and Large.

For the large pool, the X5 has always been my pick but i do agree its a harsh ride. Like others said, the DPE may offer some comfort over the M sport equipped model. So id say definitely try that or have your mate try it. Other than the X5, the XC90 and Q7 are the best options. Ive had one problem with each of these two. The XC90 is a only two litre pot and hence the weakest from the competition and Q7's spare wheel un-inflated tyre makes me wonder their logic. But since your friend doesnt require a good performance, the XC90 has to be the pick here.

The medium range, we've got the Macan, GLC 43, X3, Q5 and XC60. Im not interested in putting 60 lakhs for a car with no memory seats so GLC is never considered by me other than the 43 amg model which does have memory seats, hence the price being so high . But from the medium lot, the newest of the batch are the best i.e. X3, Q5 and XC60. However Macan is due a replacement this year, so might get good discounts. But its a small SUV. Feels more in the 'small range' to me. So dont know how your friend feels about it.
Ive recently driven the XC60 and it does feel good to me. The radar tech is excellent but other than that id say its pretty much average. Not a poor average, but nothing extraordinary. Id say definitely try all three; XC60, X3 and Q5.

Id refrain from putting forth the small pool as i feel your friends probably not got interest in it. But from the SUV's ive not mentioned. The Cayenne, GLE and GLS. If your friend wants most value for money, the discounts on GLE and GLS are great. But as far as GLE goes, the 350 is the model to opt for not cause of the bigger pot but the air matic suspension. Thats the real charm in a comfort oriented ride. The 3 litre pot is handy too as many here would testify. GLS is the biggest daddy here. You can feel the length as your drive it. Its definitely a driver car for me. Cayenne too is due a change and could fetch discounts on the current gen. And since Porsche has dropped diesel from their line up, it does hold a charm while it lasts. JLR have a reliability factor that makes me question their cars everytime i think of buying one. Though i do admit the Velar is quite attractive but at a price point of 1.5, id rather buy two X5's.

Cars in preference
1) Volvo XC90
2) Porsche Cayenne
3) BMW X5
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 17:40   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The Porsche Cayenne is currently on minimum 10 lakh+ discount as they are trying to clear stock for the new gen to be launched. Usually, Porsche doesn't discount much so this might be a good time to buy.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 20:43   #22
BHPian

I would suggest you look at the Porsche Macan. It meets most of your criteria. I would also suggest that you check out the petrol version (non AMG, non M) of all the cars that you shortlisted. I think that should make a difference in engine NVH. Also as someone mentioned, wait for the new X3 if you can. The X3 with the petrol engine will be a sweet ride. Has the presence, power and comfort.
Old 8th March 2018, 07:55   #23
BHPian

I would neither recommend GLE nor GLS as both of them are in their last phase of life. Remember these cars were launched in 2012 and 2013 respectively in India. The facelifts, change of nomenclature and minor updation has helped them to age well. But after paying a huge amount what your friend would buy is an ‘outdated’ model which is soon going to be replaced by a complete new generation. New Audi Q5 has nothing substantially more to offer than old generation Q5. Plus its a 2.0 ltr with ‘adequate’ power and the design is more of an evolution than a revolution. Q5 is not that spacious aswell.
I would highly recommend your friend to atleast TD Volvo cars. They are fantastic. XC has great deals on offer depending upon dealers. Get that polestar remap which is volvo’s official source to boost power and XC90 will serve the purpose. XC90’s ride quality is simply bind blowing and the sheer presence is something which will satisfy your friend. The only downer is not so famous volvo brand on Indian roads.

ShubhamGhute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 09:51   #24
BHPian

Out of the choices listed above, i would go with the GLE. I had similar requirements and wanted only two rows of seats and comfortable ride, with good road presence and safety.

The GLS would be better due to air suspension. The only drawback is the extra row of seats- Talk to the dealer if there is any possibility of getting a five seater from the company. No harm in trying and you may be pleasantly surprised!
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 10:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
The only drawback is the extra row of seats- Talk to the dealer if there is any possibility of getting a five seater from the company. No harm in trying and you may be pleasantly surprised!
That's not possible as the GLS, Internationally too, is available only as a 7 seater. Moreover, the seats when folded down would create a flat boot. If only for the air suspension, GLE350D is better than GLS.
Raahil_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 11:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raahil_23 View Post
That's not possible as the GLS, Internationally too, is available only as a 7 seater. Moreover, the seats when folded down would create a flat boot. If only for the air suspension, GLE350D is better than GLS.
Yes, was aware of that. I had the last two seats of the Santa Fe removed when going on long journeys. Apart from the 42 kgs saved, it gave me space for tools, tow rope, air compressor and other stuff which we hope that we may not have to use.
earthian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2018, 16:17   #27
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

So a thought process update is that right now the GLE 250 holds supreme in his mind and it is also clearly winning the vote on this thread. Only concern is it will be dated with Dual Digital display screens etc. in 2 yrs with new version coming.

Q5 overpriced and unimpressive in size and looks.

GLS is too large with 2 unwanted seats.

GLE350 implies Air Suspension but also a not required larger engine. Plus same newer model concerns so will not be considered.

We still just might check out the Volvos but the Brand value would be a loss for him.

Will update basis what we end up doing next.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:38   #28
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Further update is that:

1) BMW Infinity called to inform that X5 is available in only 19" rims in both MSport and DPE trim and that DPE trim is not available for test drive. So since the M Sport was found to have a harsh ride for the usage X5 has been fully eliminated.

2) XC60 looks were not liked by my friend (Interiors mainly - possibly as a badly abused unclean car was shown). XC90 was loved and the test drive was also very comfortable. The Power from the 2Ltr engine is quite impressive and obviously all the Radar based Driver aids and the modern technology was liked. Good Discounts too were available on 2017 model. Badge value was the only -ve.

So now it is between the GLE250 (which was again test driven right after the XC90) and the XC90. XC90 is about 12L more expensive than the GLE250 (both after discount) but offers a lot more. It is tending towards the GLE250 right now. Multiple vendors have quoted and ..

Will update on which one they go for. Both are good cars. I might have gone for the XC90 as I don't give that much of a premium to badge and it looks wow. The Mercedes sales and showroom experienced however is unmatched.
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:49   #29
Team-BHP Support

Look no further than the XC90. It is by far the best car in the segment, in my opinion. It has everything going for it, I.e. the looks, performance, space and equipment. It's even well priced if you ask me, and represents good value.

Volvo has come a long way, and the badge has garnered value over the years, especially after the new generation Volvos hit the streets.

My suggestion would be to read a little about the brand's history and accolades, as it should provide comfort to your friend whilst narrowing down his choices.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed