Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which 5 seater Luxury SUV for comfort and presence?
Audi Q5 2018 13 26.53%
Mercedes GLE 250 22 44.90%
Other 14 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2018, 14:37   #1
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLE vs others

Am posting this thread on behalf of my friend who does a lot of his car research on TBHP but is not a member. He has even joined me on one of our TBHP meets.

His Current Garage: Mercedes E200 (2016), Fortuner 4X2 MT Previous Gen, and an Etios Liva as a Beater. The Fortuner will be the one to go after this purchase.

Essential Requirements in no particular order:
1) SUV + Grand / Imposing Presence: (Badge Value and Size both are a part of this.)
2) Comfortable Ride with Very Good Sound Insulation / silent drive. (Peaceful Drive)
3) Rear (second row) seat should also be comfortable.
4) Budget: 65L-1.10 Crs OTR Mumbai/Thane. 70-90L would be the sweet spot.

Do NOT Require or Secondary criteria:
1) Noisy Engine: (Engine & Tyre noise both should be low)
2) 3 Ltr Engine: 2 Ltr Engine is fine enough. He does not drive beyond 80kmph 99% of the time. He can drive fast but only wants a sedate drive. He will drive himself so driver comfort is very important.
3) Third Row seats not required: The car will be riden either solo or by the couple or by couple with their very loved small pet dog or with 1 additional relative so a max of 4 seats is superb comfort is required. Last / Third row of seats has no value attached.
4) Cornering ability is not required. Ability to absorb potholes is valued.

Cars Tested and Rejected (All Pricing mentioned is approximate):

I joined him on the test drives and I did agree with all his views w.r.t his requirements. I am more ok with sporty engine sound and bigger engines as also a harsher ride but that is reverse of what he desires.

1) RR Velar: (1.15 Crs OTR model) It was found to be too noisy and absolutely not worth the price. It can be expected to drop price like the F-Pace by about 20-30L when sold as CKD. Seats were quite good and there are a few heart warming bits like the door handles and centre console instrumentation, but overall it did not impress sufficiently though it has some unique technological breakthroughs it lacks basic stuff like Apple Car Play/ Android Auto etc. Ride was moderate.

2) Jaguar F-Pace: (73L OTR) Too noisy underpowered and rough engine. Interiors were liked but it did not feel comfortable at all. Seats were decent. Felt a bit of a pseudo sport version of the Velar, with removal of hard core off road features but still with the same modest powered engine it is not really sporty. The engine note felt strangulated. Feature list was impressive and looks good as well. Same Engine as the Velar and even the same platform with HT tyres instead of AT. Stock comprised of a single Blue colour with Beige upholstery. Ride was below average. He felt very ill after a relatively short drive in the F-Pace. It was a definite no immediately for him.

3) Discovery Sport HSE Luxury: (73L OTR) Again the same engine. And again a bit too noisy. The interiors did not feel worth the price point.

4) BMW X5 M Sport 5 Seats: (85L OTR) Looks were the best of the lot and interiors too were fine, but it had a harsh ride and was also quite noisy. (Surprisingly more than my 5 yrs old X3 30d in both the engine and tyre noise and ride department). Seats were quite good. We have requested for the test drive of DPE variant which looses out on Under thigh support and HUD among the important not cosmetic bits but has better 18" rims instead of M Sport 19" and can be expected to be more comfortable. Infinity motors did not have DPE for test drive.

5) Mercedes GLC AMG 43: (90L OTR) Very harsh ride and comfort aspects not the car for him. Looks the best and one would regret a lot if buying without a test drive.

Last edited by ACM : 6th March 2018 at 00:21.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 15:02   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLE vs Others

Cars Shortlisted and Liked

1) Audi Q5 2018: (72.5L OTR no discounts) High Tech, Digital Instrumentation display, Comfortable, quite engine, low tyre noise, Looks good. Moderately small car seats. Is a new design and so this look will remain unchanged for long.

2) Mercedes GLE 250: (70L OTR after significant discounts) Comfortable, quite engine, low tyre noise, Looks quite grand in dark colours, Large Seats. The Sunroof is not true panoramic as it is in two parts but that does not matter to my friend. But is due for replacement by 2019 end. Next Generation may or may not be Ladder Frame design? Is from 1/2 to a full segment bigger than the Q5 at the same or lower price right now. It though is almost a generation older and yet that also means tried, tested and updated to it's best version.

Which of the two meets the critical criteria the best?
1) Grand / Imposing Presence: (Badge Value and Size both are a part of this.)
2) Comfortable Ride with Very Good Sound Insulation / Silent drive. (Peaceful Drive)
3) Rear (second row) seat should also be comfortable.

Or should he test drive the:
a) Volvo CX60? (Does not like the badge much),

b) BMW X5 DPE? (No one has one to test drive) plus it too will have a new generation out in 2019

c) Mercedes GLS? (OTR 95L) A larger GLE with bigger engine and 2 more unrequired seats but it also has Air Suspension and some other features and is of course the big daddy in size and presence. It though too will have a replacement generation along with the GLE may be by 2020?

Last edited by ACM : 5th March 2018 at 22:44.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 08:39   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audi Q5 vs Mercedes GLE vs others

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line!

Since your friend has the budget, would also suggest test-drives of the Q7 & XC90. From your list, my pick would be the GLS.

Last edited by GTO : 6th March 2018 at 10:08.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 08:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

XC-60 will be my pick. It has some very luxurious and practical features. Ventilated seats, a music system that will make you sit in a car just to listen to your favorite track, Air suspension. Do visit Volvo.

You can also check out the Macan, it will be most expensive and with least standard features but will have a huge snob appeal if that’s the point. It’s very sporty and should hold value over the time though service costs will be higher.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th March 2018 at 09:06.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 08:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since your friend has the budget, would also suggest test-drives of the Q7 & XC90.
I’m surprised these weren’t the first options in your list of evaluation.
I have driven both these cars and find the Q7 better. The XC90 has more presence for sure but the engine is puny and feels very under powered. Refinement levels are good on both but the Q7 has a super plush ride too.

Last edited by Sahil : 6th March 2018 at 09:01.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 09:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
We have requested for the test drive of DPE variant which looses out on Under thigh support and HUD among the important not cosmetic bits but has better 18" rims instead of M Sport 19" and can be expected to be more comfortable. Infinity motors did not have DPE for test drive.
Apart from huge 19" staggered wheels, the X5 M sport also comes with a different suspension tuning. They call it M adaptive as against regular adaptive suspension. I believe all X5s come with air suspension for the rears only. So the DPE variant should ride much better. But suggest you take a test drive and test for yourself.

New Audi Q5 is a good fit for your friend's needs. But rear seats may not be as big on comfort as the GLE or the X5.

Honestly speaking, for driving solo or just 2 on board, GLE, X5 and Q7 will be overkill.

The new X3 may also be worth the wait. It is quite big on comfort and space and comes with much improved interiors and 5 series level of tech. A bit of joy behind the wheel won't hurt either. It being a fresh model will also give you some grandeur and presence.

Also the Volvos cannot be ignored with such a wide budget range - the XC60 and XC90.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 09:41   #7
BHPian

My pick would be the XC60.
It meets his requirement to the T, except the badge. It oozes luxury from every angle and is quite comfortable as well. Once you listen to the amazing Bowers and Wilkins audio system, you will hate every other audio system. It is feature loaded and the engine specs on paper look promising too. Volvos nowadays are slowly getting right there with the Germans (badge-wise), so it's a worthy check out.

Quote:
4) BMW X5 M Sport 5 Seats: (85L OTR) Looks were the best of the lot and interiors too were fine, but it had a harsh ride and was also quite noisy. We have requested for the test drive of DPE variant which looses out on Under thigh support and HUD among the important not cosmetic bits but has better 18" rims instead of M Sport 19" and can be expected to be more comfortable. Infinity motors did not have DPE for test drive.
Yes, the ride is quite harsh but you'll get used to it in a couple of months. If it is an X5 it has to be an MSport one, for the looks, the amount of m-accessories that can be added too and the HUD
Raahil_23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 10:05   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raahil_23 View Post
Yes, the ride is quite harsh but you'll get used to it in a couple of months.
Wouldn't agree with this statement for someone who prioritises ride quality. It's like your dentist telling you "my treatment will result in permanent pain, but you'll get used to it in due time". If one's top priority is comfort, there should be no compromises on that.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 10:17   #9
BHPian

I would recommend your friend to wait for the new X3. It's interiors is way more plush than the outgoing one and with xLine you will get a decent ride comfort. You may have to switch to tubeless but with a spare, it should be okay.

Second option could be GLE. It has good stance and even though it is from older generation, it still is well equipped.

IMHO, Q5 or even for that matter Q7 has lost it's SUVs looks and charm with the new design. Also, Q5 seems small inside out in comparison with X3.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 10:18   #10
Team-BHP Support

Going by the requirements mentioned, all the vehicles TDed are incorrect

I'd suggest a 3 litre in most cases, as the 6 cylinder engines are far more refined, but you know this already I'm sure.

The X5 M sport has 19" wheels along with the M sport suspension, so the DPE should be quite a bit better in this regard. Do test it out. I think the X5 will come back into the picture after you test drive the DPE.

The GLS along with the GLE will be changed sooner rather than later. But the GLS and GLE350 with their airmatic suspension are very comfortable. The GLS might be a bit large for your friend to drive himself, and in case it is I would suggest the GLE350 which is a size smaller.

Do also TD the XC90, its only a 2 litre engine but will be sufficient for the usage mentioned. The ride is not as good as the Mercedes' but its still very refined. The seats are honestly my favorites in terms of shape and support. Also since he drives himself, the XC90 now comes added with a lot of radar assisted features which will definitely add to the driving experience.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 10:24   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

As @Turbonator mentioned, include Volvo XC60 and Porsche Macan in your shortlist. It will be a litmus test for what your friend really wants If I read between the lines and the fact that the test drive report started with RR Velar, he should consider Porsche. Expensive but delivers.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 10:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Am posting this thread on behalf of my friend
Comfortable Ride with Very Good Sound Insulation / silent drive. (Peaceful Drive)
I just made an interesting observation.

Out of 8 or so SUVs mentioned on this thread, looks like atleast 6 of them failed to impress in ride quality or noise insulation or both. What's with the luxury car makers? Aren't these two parameters supposed to be basics of a luxury car?
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 13:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
it had a harsh ride and was also quite noisy. (Surprisingly more than my 5 yrs old X3 30d in both the engine and tyre noise and ride department)
How much was the mileage on the demo car? OE run flats are prone to make noise after around 10-15,000 Km and you can shift to regular tyres. Since I own the X5-M sports, can confirm from my own experience. It's a very quiet vehicle and loaded. The new one will be based on X7 so we won't have any LCI (facelift) and that explains all the features/ standard loadings on the current including soft-touch door close. There is no match for that sweet 6 cylinder engine and it does not feel large, unlike Q7 and XC90. Regarding downshift to 18 inches, I recently changed my 20-inch rims on X6 to 18 inches and the difference is huge. I will interchange tyres on X5 with X6 in coming week and update but the way X6 has changed, I am sure, 18 inches will be far comfortable.

Quote:
What's with the luxury car makers?
Well, it will depend on whom you consider a Luxury manufacturer or the models they produce Due to high taxes on large cars, we have some very high prices for most cars which may be regular daily drives overseas. Most of the manufacturers get only 30-40 % of showroom prices as compared to 60-70 % of small manufacturers due to the tax structure here so a true luxury range may start from 7 series and similar not even 5 or X5 or most of the vehicles referred here will actually qualify in luxury segment probably.

So, if we talk about VFM, it's more to do with taxes due to which we get the lowest value on the CBU or the vehicles with a lot of import content.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th March 2018 at 13:23.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2018, 13:21   #14
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
How much was the mileage on the demo car? OE run flats are prone to make noise after around 10-15,000 Km and you can shift to regular tyres. Since I own the X5-M sports, can confirm from my own experience. It's a very quiet vehicle and loaded. The new one will be based on X7 so we won't have any LCI (facelift) and that explains all the features/ standard loadings on the current including soft-touch door close, there is no match of that sweet 6 cylinder engine and it does not feel large, unlike Q7 and XC90. Regarding downshift to 18 inches, I recently changed my 20-inch rims on X6 to 18 inches and the difference is huge.
Yes 18" should make a difference.

When can next gen X5 be expected in India?

It was only 5k kms run vehicle. Condition was very good but my friend expects superb cushioning and this was worse than my X3 30d and that maybe due to 19" plus MSport suspension.

How do you happen to have 20" on X5 did it come by default earlier in current gen? Know that previous gen X5 had 20" rims in India in sport package.
Old 6th March 2018, 13:30   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes 18" should make a difference.

When can next gen X5 be expected in India?
Not until 2020 at least given the fact that there is still no launch date for X7 and X5 will come only later.

Quote:
It was only 5k kms run vehicle. Condition was very good but my friend expects superb cushioning and this was worse than my X3 30d and that maybe due to 19" plus MSport suspension
That's strange, maybe try with a different dealer on a different vehicle, or perhaps it's just due to M-suspension. But I won't fret too much on this, when you drive that lovely 6 cylinder engine, most of the other things don't affect me

Quote:
How do you happen to have 20" on X5 did it come by default earlier in current gen?
I have changed on X6 which is from 2009 and came with 20-inches, the difference is huge. Due to a recent incident of alloy getting damaged on X5, I am planning to interchange 18-inch on X5 from X6 as it's driven much more & X6 somehow does not look good with 18inches either.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th March 2018 at 13:32.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks