Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2018, 22:19   #1
BHPian

Range Rover Velar vs Volvo XC90 vs others

This will be a replacement for a Merc ML. No complaints with Mercedes, just want something different.

Daily use will be 15-20 min drives to work, the airport, etc. in a city environment, along with occasional (6-8 times/yr) drives to destinations 2-4 hrs by highway. Won't be self-driven 99% of the time. Ride comfort gets priority over acceleration, etc. "performance" metrics. Dealers/service centers for all major brands are available in the city of purchase. Budget - up to 1 cr (no flex). Other vehicles in the family - Q7 (4M), S-class (W222), A4 (B9) and some Hondas/Toyotas.

Velar and XC90 being considered over the competition for the following reasons,

X5 - had a 3 series back in the day, and the BMW ride felt stiff in the back seat. Worried about a repeat experience.
GLE - nice car, but replacing an ML and want something different.
Cayenne - priced above 1 crore
Macan - priced above 1 crore if I'm not mistaken, and a bit on the smaller side
Q7 - great ride and interior but already have one
F-Pace - don't care for its looks

Any other comps I missed?

I realize Volvo doesn't get much love in our country, but that also makes it a rarer sight/unique possession. Any service/parts/reliability problems forum members may be aware of?

I also realize RR is notorious for poor reliability. How can a prospective buyer get comfortable with their past? Any first or second hand experience with the Velar?

Any and all inputs are appreciated. Thanks!
axp817 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 22:52   #2
BHPian

re: Range Rover Velar vs Volvo XC90 vs others

Quote:
Daily use will be 15-20 min drives to work, the airport, etc. in a city environment, along with occasional (6-8 times/yr) drives to destinations 2-4 hrs by highway. Won't be self-driven 99% of the time. Ride comfort gets priority over acceleration, etc.
Since you prioritise ride quality over other parameters, my suggestion would be the Volvo. As far as I know, the Volvo has a much better ride quality than the RR. And also since you are going to be cheaffeur driven most of the time, the legroom in the rear seat also matters. The Volvo has the better rear seat (read better legroom) too.

Quote:
I realize Volvo doesn't get much love in our country, but that also makes it a rarer sight/unique possession.
Very true. Volvo’s aren't the most common/known cars on Indian roads. I know few people who assume that Volvo manufactures only buses! Since you already have cars from two of the most common luxury brands, the Volvo would add a touch of uniqueness to your garage.

Last edited by Prathiiik : 21st May 2018 at 22:55.
Old 22nd May 2018, 00:39   #3
BHPian

I'd suggest you against the Velar as the ride quality is very stiff and not upto the likes of Q7 and even the "Discovery" (which I feel has the best ride in its segment). You might want to check out the Discovery, the ride quality is awesome and it will much the 2-4 hours drive like anything thanks to its 3.0 engine however the only drawback is the rear seat thigh support. I'm in a similar situation and has made up my mind to go for the new Range Rover Sport or the BMW X7 when it launches. I'd suggest you to check if any dealer has the outgoing Range Rover Sport in stock (I'm aware of few) and they are going at 94-95 ex showroom.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 09:28   #4
Team-BHP Support

My two cents

Quote:
X5 - had a 3 series back in the day, and the BMW ride felt stiff in the back seat. Worried about a repeat experience.
Big discounts so I hear. Nice to drive. Check out if you really can live with the ride. Mechanicals are proven. A new one is around the corner. Expect it to depreciate!

Quote:
GLE - nice car, but replacing an ML and want something different.
There should be a new one in 18 months. Everyone owner I know are very happy with them. Probably the best SUV made by Mercedes so far. Outclassed by newer cars though but a safe buy.

Quote:
Cayenne - priced above 1 crore
Its tough, reliable and a joy to drive but it depends on your dealer. I dont think you get a diesel at the moment.

Quote:
Macan - priced above 1 crore if I'm not mistaken, and a bit on the smaller side
Expensive but my choice. Based on older Q5 but you need to judge the size aspect.

Quote:
Q7 - great ride and interior but already have one
New one is boring and lacks the presence of the older one. Supposed to be very competent though.

Quote:
F-Pace - don't care for its looks
It is really impressive to drive but what goes against it are tacky interiors and the 2.0D Ingenium diesel - not totally sorted so I hear.

Arriving at your final shortlist

Velar - Its an F-Pace in a RR suit. Interiors are resolved but need to figure out if the ingenium engine is competent and adequate. (I could feel the diffeence between the F-Pace 2.0D and 3.0D) big time.

XC90 - A good choice, solid build, voluptious interiors, extremely comfortable but a relatively uninspring to drive hard and slightly gravelly engine. Ideal successor to the GLE in terms of driving natire. A friend of mine moved from an GLE350 to an XC90 and never looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
You might want to check out the Discovery, the ride quality is awesome and it will much the 2-4 hours drive like anything thanks to its 3.0 engine however the only drawback is the rear seat thigh support. I'm in a similar situation and has made up my mind to go for the new Range Rover Sport or the BMW X7 when it launches. I'd suggest you to check if any dealer has the outgoing Range Rover Sport in stock (I'm aware of few) and they are going at 94-95 ex showroom.
Good alternate advice to the XC90

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd May 2018 at 09:30.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

While I haven't sat or driven the Velar, I am smitten by it's styling. Hence my vote would go to it over the XC90. More so because the XC90 is just really boring to drive and the seats aren't as large or comfy as you would want in a full size SUV.

I would recommend you check out the RR Sport too. And also the MLs daddy, the GLS. However, be warned that both these cars are going to be updated soon. The RR Sport will only be a facelift but the GLS will be an all new generation.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 11:05   #6
Team-BHP Support

Between the 2, for what you have described my pick would be the XC90. Its got air suspension, and the seats are awesome, not to mention the quality interiors and the big suv look. The Velar is more stylish, and futuristic on the inside but in 1cr I don't think you will get a very highly specced one if I'm not wrong.

Also do try out the X5, don't eliminate it on the 3 series you had back in the day. The X5 rides pretty well, and is nice to sit in and be driven in. You will also save a bunch of money, if that matters.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by axp817 View Post
This will be a replacement for a Merc ML.
Daily use will be 15-20 min drives to work, the airport, etc. in a city environment, along with occasional (6-8 times/yr) drives to destinations 2-4 hrs by highway. Won't be self-driven 99% of the time. Ride comfort gets priority over acceleration, etc. "performance" metrics. Budget - up to 1 cr (no flex). Other vehicles in the family - Q7 (4M), S-class (W222), A4 (B9) and some Hondas/Toyotas.
Unfortunately, One Crore won't be enough if you are looking for a substantial upgrade and want a decent ride in the rear. I really cannot think of any SUV that will meet your criterion, which actually is a very basic requirement of many. None of the Cars that you have mentioned or are available in the market has a good rear ride and space. Yoy will have to compromise on something or the other.

Your best bet can be X5 due to price after discounts, the overall features ( soft close door, Headup display, MID, Carplay etc), comfort, looks & performance.

If you can wait, I believe X7 may cover this or even the newer models from MB. Or if you are in hurry increase your budget and check the XC90 with 4 seats or even check the LC. Nothing beats LC for the rear seat comfort even though it's a 10-year-old platform.

I will personally stay away from LR unless you have enough resources to handle them, I don't think all the stories we hear are without a reason. The way they load their vehicles, there will be issues- just check the number of electronics/ switches they have to adjust the rear seats and trunk on the Discovery
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2018, 20:06   #8
BHPian

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your inputs, very helpful and greatly appreciated. I think going back to the drawing board is warranted.

Our objective isn't necessarily to upgrade from the ML, just to get a similar vehicle (5 seater non-compact European SUV) from a brand other than MB to switch things up. The Velar was/is exciting but I'll tread carefully given the feedback.

Now strongly considering test-driving/riding the X5 especially to assess backseat comfort, given the feedback. Planning to do the same with XC90 and Velar for now. RR Sport and X7 out due to price.

Comfort, interior and exterior styling, safety will trump driving dynamics as it will almost never be self-driven.
Old 24th May 2018, 11:52   #9
BHPian

Re: Range Rover Velar vs Volvo XC90 vs others

HI,

You may want to certainly checkout the X5 because dealers are struggling to sell them and there are some pretty good offers currently. I would suggest you to stay away from JLR due to stories I have heard.

You can check out the XC90, itll be a worthy upgrade and fits in your budget too! Spacious: CHECK, Street Presence: CHECK , safety features: CHECK also since it'll be 99% chauffeur driven a 2.0 would suffice. If you want a 5 seater then why not check the new XC60?

I own a V40, for 2 years and driven just shy under 10k kms. Ive had no issues as yet. I can't say for the dealers' after sales service quality as I get my car serviced from an independent workshop, yes even the first service, as I trust the garage with all my cars! Happy choosing!

Last edited by Y@SH : 24th May 2018 at 11:55.
Old 24th May 2018, 14:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, if the ML is doing well, I'd rather hold on for the all new X5 to come out and pick that up when it does. If you're bored of the ML - have a look at some options to upgrade and keep the excitement going - like a better music system, maybe some AMG body parts, etc.

If you aren't willing to wait, my vote goes for the XC90, especially in T8 Excellence guise. The car is fantastic - it has the looks, the comfort, safety, and gadgets!

The Velar is a car I am not impressed by to be very honest. It doesn't really seem to be as luxurious as the others - and for someone who doesn't do much off roading, or self-driving, I would think about focussing on a car that offers more peace of mind and is opulent.
Old 12th June 2018, 23:38   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

1) XC 90. Superb vehicle at a superb price. Great ride. Good engine.
2) X5 will have good discounts. Do a test drive.
3) Wait for GLE.
4) F Pace is a Velar for 45L less. Expect Velar to drop prices like the F Pace later
5) Velar is overpriced with a rough ride and engine.

I would follow the above order.
Old 13th June 2018, 09:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Velar as far as I am concerned with the optional air suspension to smooth out the bumps. Its one of the best looking car on sale and that itself is a sale for me (Remember, if you do not look at your car after you park it, you have bought the wrong car)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks