Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which luxury sedan will you choose?
Mercedes S-Class 163 65.46%
BMW 7 Series 45 18.07%
Audi A8 14 5.62%
Jaguar XJ 11 4.42%
Lexus LS 14 5.62%
Other (Please specify in your post) 2 0.80%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes S-Class vs the others

All the following is based purely on my opinion by looks.. I've not driven any of them nor have any idea about their differences in handling, comfort or tech.

Mercedes S - Most well designed, proper luxury car.. this gets my vote. Proper mix of curves, circles, lines and angles. The current interiors are also much better than the previous gen one with that horrendous 2 spoke steering.

BMW 7 - This should've won easily if it were the previous generation 7 Series, alas I can't stand to see BMW designs of today with those headlights connecting the grilles and a more lines than curves. Normally I love the retro-esque functional BMW interiors but now not anymore. They've tried to ape the S-Class with the excessive use of brushed aluminium finish and lack of wood. This coming from huge fan of the aesthetics of BMW, even since the Bangle designs.

Audi - Bleh.. all lines and no curves make Audi a dull car. Not my cup of tea. Quality on the other hand, should be among the best.

Jaguar XJ - Looks nice, but not sure if one should choose it above a Merc. Quality is a question though, seeing reports by Jaguar owners.

Lexus LS - I know what a Lexus is about, but given the price.. you're kidding me right? I wouldn't choose it even if it were 70% the price of an S-Class.
Old 22nd June 2018, 23:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

If I had the money in excess, it would be the S-class without a doubt!

My preference would be of the order
  • S-Class (AMG preferred )
  • 7-Series with matte color and a V12
  • Odd choice : Volvo V90 Cross country.

I usually selfdrive, so good GC would be on top of my list. Has top-class safety, features and AMAZING looks. Finally ,reliability would be the cherry on top. S90 would be my pic if it has better ground clearance.
Old 23rd June 2018, 02:52   #18
BHPian

I like to exclude the option "Other" as of now, because I prefer a 4x4 SUV over a sedan any day.
With that, heart says BMW 7 Series, whereas brain says Lexus LS.
To Buy - Lexus LS
To Lease (If there is an option) - BMW 7 Series
Finally voted for Lexus.

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 23rd June 2018 at 03:14. Reason: Spelling
Old 23rd June 2018, 07:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Er... You may have missed a competitor in that list

See:

sridhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 08:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I think S-Class is a brand in itself, so it has a huge intangible thing going for it. Mercedes does a great job of nurturing this emotion.

If you set aside the branding aspect, all these cars are fairly equal with minor personal bias and one can't go wrong with any of these cars. But branding is extremely important as can be seen by the fact that almost all luxury limo services across the world use black S-Class.

My choice is unlikely to be an S-Class because Mercedes India is doing a horrible job of its CKD cars. They are following 20% of the car for 80% of the customers and unfortunately it is working for them, a fact that makes me hate Mercedes India on equal level with Toyota. I am very suspicious of companies who have figured out how to play the market by offering less. To quote a friend, "Hell is Mercedes India CKD car".

As much as I love S-Class, I can't ignore 7-series simply because BMW doesn't dilute their Indian models like Mercedes and it's a better driver's car.

The new S-Class is going to be superlative. It's amazing how Mercedes can keep improving this car. It is going to cure the cancer of "single touch screen for everything" and show the world how touch interface should be done in a car.
androdev is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 12:04   #21
BHPian

Poll result graph showing an error..Mods please correct
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes S-Class vs the others-survey.jpg  

docprashant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2018, 12:32   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprashant View Post
Poll result graph showing an error..Mods please correct
Looks good on my machine. Can you try another browser ?
Old 23rd June 2018, 12:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Looks good on my machine. Can you try another browser ?
No appears okay
Old 23rd June 2018, 13:44   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

In this segment I'd pick the M-B S Class without a doubt and by a mile over the competition. Followed by the BMW 7 series, the Lexus LS, and Audi A8. All in order of preference. I am also a fan of Lexus and BMW but in the 'limo' segment it has gotta be the S Class.

I find the new M-B designs very attractive and very 21st century. Off late I've been staring at new model M-B S/E/C class sedans over the comparatively 'meh' designs from BMW, Audi and Lexus. M-B gets a thumbs up from me.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2018, 14:48   #25
BHPian

Whenever I buy this segment car, it would be to be chauffeur driven. The S wins hands down for me. Comfort, style, elegance, safety, road presence etc - it ticks all my boxes.

Having said that, it will be the second car I buy after the G63

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 24th June 2018 at 14:50.
Old 24th June 2018, 19:07   #26
BHPian

For me, although the Merc S class is the epitome of luxury, being in my 20s, I crave for driving pleasure and alluring looks. Yes, cars in this class ought to have creature comforts and ride that would make a first class flight look economy. But that’s still secondary for me. Hence my vote goes to the Jaguar XJ. Each time I look at one, I go weak in my knees. The design was gracious right from day one. And for the driving pleasure, I can only comment based on my observations from driving the 5series, XF and 7 series. I am definitely more inclined to the big cat.
Old 27th June 2018, 15:46   #27
BHPian

I know that I might be the odd one out here, but I simply can’t get over the fact that the s class has the least amount of usable boot space on offer among the cars here, what with the lack of a separate wheel well. Is this a deal breaker? IMO, yes, and it’s because a luxury car needn’t skimp on practicality to be opulent and grand. To that effect, the A8 is good value to me, and offers the right balance between practicality and luxury, and that matters a lot to me. Sure, it might not match up to the Merc in terms of sheer ride quality, but I’d rather take a slight hit in that regard over my car determining the amount of luggage I can carry at a given point in time. As far as I know, the BMW 7 series also has a dedicated wheel well, so thumbs up for that, but given its design theme, it doesn’t appear to be as understated or elegant as the A8. I’m not sure how the new A8 manages to store the spare wheel, or whether it has gone the Merc route in doing away with the wheel well, but I’d like to think that Audi won’t let me down in that regard.
I’ve not had occasion to test the XJ yet, so I’ll reserve my judgment on that, for now.
Old 27th June 2018, 16:01   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Unless its an S Class Maybach, for me the vote goes to the 7 series.

It's understated relatively speaking, and after having the luck to sit in the car for a few trips - I am just amazed at how it manages to soak up each and every undulation and offers such a flat and composed ride! 160kmph feels like 60kmph!

Audi is a brand I shy away from after a not so great service experience with our A6, and the XJ is just too old! At a good discount I wouldn't mind considering it though just for the looks and the ambience.

The Lexus IMO is just too overpriced. I'd much rather get the S500 Maybach.

Last edited by lamborghini : 27th June 2018 at 16:02.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2018, 13:34   #29
BHPian

The luxury sedan I would choose if it had to be a new car is a Maserati Quattroporte, because frankly I'll never sit and the back seat unless my life depended on it.

The luxury sedan I would choose if model year was no barrier, would be the BMW E38 Alpina B12.
Old 2nd July 2018, 03:03   #30
BHPian

It has to be S class without a doubt even though I like driver oriented cars. I am sure that S is selling more than 7 and A8 combined, worldwide.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 2nd July 2018 at 03:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks