Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2018, 19:04   #46
BHPian

Re: BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumain View Post
My new X3 30i is now here.
Hi Sumain,

Heartiest congratulations on your lovely purchase.
Looks like you are the first member who came out of the dilemma.
Which dealer ? any deals ?

Appreciate details on your decision making process and waiting for your ownership thread.

Wish you happy miles ahead.

Cheers,
Sail

Last edited by Sail : 4th October 2018 at 19:09.
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 18:46   #47
BHPian

I am totally loving the car.
I think the 30i decision was really good. The car is so smooth and silent, it feels more luxurious and sophisticated. Power delivery is creamy!
Have not driven it much, other than from Lucknow to Greater Noida next day after delivery.
Still waiting for my registration number, expected in a couple of days.
Meanwhile, discovering a new feature every day!
(Was able to activate Google maps over Apple Carplay on the first day, and drive home with that on the main screen)
More soon!
Sumain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 18:38   #48

Quote:
It's here.
My new X3 30i is now here.
Congratulations Sumain ! The car is fantastic !! I should know because I bought one too about a month ago :P In the same phytonic blue colour which is also great. I just came across this thread and I'm really glad to see another 30i owner considering how few buyers for this variant there probably are and will be. I wanted to discuss some of the nitty grittys could we do that over email since i can't seem to find a PM option i can use ?
Old 8th October 2018, 21:54   #49
BHPian

Congratulations Sumain for the fantastic ride!
I am quite interested in X3, will start test rides of available options in this segment in coming weeks, targeting purchase during year end.
What kind of discount was offered to you by BMW?

Cheers.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:07   #50
BHPian

Hi guys,
My email address is sumain.malik@scconline.com . I look forward to your queries.
Cheers
Sumain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 08:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornkracker View Post
Congratulations Sumain ! The car is fantastic !! I should know because I bought one too about a month ago :P In the same phytonic blue colour which is also great. I just came across this thread and I'm really glad to see another 30i owner considering how few buyers for this variant there probably are and will be. I wanted to discuss some of the nitty grittys could we do that over email since i can't seem to find a PM option i can use ?
Hi CornKracker. Congrats on your X3 30i. Yes the car is really fantastic and I'm loving it! Luxurious and quiet like a limo inside. Tough enough outside to handle the rough stuff, with the higher ground clearance and 4WD.
Please do PM me at sumain.malik@scconline.com if you want to discuss anything. It will be great to hear from you.
Old 9th November 2018, 15:14   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
targeting purchase during year end.
What kind of discount was offered to you by BMW? Cheers.
@Acharya: You should hit the showroom now, good discounts are going on.

MODS: PLEASE LINE UP IN APPROPRIATE SECTION / Pls delete thread #52

It is confirm news.
BMW X2 coming in 2019

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/b...-for-next-year

Cheers,
Sail

Last edited by Sail : 9th November 2018 at 15:19.
Old 9th November 2018, 16:37   #53
BANNED

Whenever in doubt, with no clear winner I will go for the more popular one. Why, easier availability of spares. Also, remember with Beemers even the battery has to be from them.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 23:07   #54
BHPian

Hey guys. Anybody did a comparison between xc60 and x3.i test drive xc60 and fell in love with it. Awaiting from the BMW dealership a TD of X3. Anxious to know others opinions. Personally I've graduated from a power freak to a sedate driver so found xc60 more than adequate.
Old 25th November 2018, 11:44   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
Hey guys. Anybody did a comparison between xc60 and x3.i test drive xc60 and fell in love with it. Awaiting from the BMW dealership a TD of X3. Anxious to know others opinions. Personally I've graduated from a power freak to a sedate driver so found xc60 more than adequate.
Yes I have. The XC60 is pretty soulless. Yes, it is good and all, has lots of features and functions, but does not really appeal to the heart.
The X3 on the other hand, has really grown up and matured (like a lot of other BMWs). The X3 30i, is bigger, more comfortable, and quite silent inside.
Most of the time - say 80% or more, my X3 30i is being driven sedately. Seating is comfortable and the recline function helps. The acoustically sealed cabin is hushed, and the Harmon Kardon music system sounds very clear, even at low volumes. After a 8.5 hour 650 km drive from Allahabad to Delhi, my wife and I arrived home without noticeable travel fatigue!
The Comfort mode is now more comfortable than BMWs have ever been. But then, you do have the option of Sport or Sport Plus, when you are in the mood. For example, in the 8.5 hr drive, I drove for about an hour in Sport / Adaptive mode, on a fenced 6-lane highway with light traffic. Gets the blood flowing, if you know what I mean.
And Sport mode really does change the character of the car. The chassis gets stiffer, the steering heavier with more feel, gears change later for more power. So, really, it is like having two different cars - and you can go from one to the other by just pushing a button.
Then there is the "Adaptive" mode, where the car's computer will guess what's needed - and change from Comfort to Sport on the fly, and back again - depending on various inputs like road surface, current speed, and the urgency with which you press the accelerator etc. Really does work!
With the Volvo you do have a comfortable vehicle. But, so also with the BMW. However, in the BMW at least you have an option - push Sport and change the nature of the beast.
Or keep it in Adaptive, and let the computer do all the work.
Sumain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 18:06   #56
BHPian

@Sumain -- congrats on your new X3. Did you take a TD of Q5? I am caught between a X3 and Q5 ...
Looking at now pricing as well as long term reliability. Plan to keep the car for at least 7-8 years.
Old 30th November 2018, 12:28   #57
BHPian

Hey thanks Sumain. Indeed, no comparison between the cars on sheer driving pleasure. Even road presence and space, x3 trumps.

But I do fault BMW for bringing the car to India by stripping features. No adaptive cruise control, no emergency braking basis obstacles, no lane assist, lower boot capacity due to spare tire.

Addition of those would have made X3 a no brainer for me... Absence, makes me unsure.

Quote:
Yes I have. The XC60 is pretty soulless. Yes, it is good and all, has lots of features and functions, but does not really appeal to the heart.
The X3 on the other hand, has really grown up and matured (like a lot of other BMWs). The X3 30i, is bigger, more comfortable, and quite silent inside.
Most of the time - say 80% or more, my X3 30i is being driven sedately. Seating is comfortable and the recline function helps. The acoustically sealed cabin is hushed, and the Harmon Kardon music system sounds very clear, even at low volumes. After a 8.5 hour 650 km drive from Allahabad to Delhi, my wife and I arrived home without noticeable travel fatigue!
The Comfort mode is now more comfortable than BMWs have ever been. But then, you do have the option of Sport or Sport Plus, when you are in the mood. For example, in the 8.5 hr drive, I drove for about an hour in Sport / Adaptive mode, on a fenced 6-lane highway with light traffic. Gets the blood flowing, if you know what I mean.
And Sport mode really does change the character of the car. The chassis gets stiffer, the steering heavier with more feel, gears change later for more power. So, really, it is like having two different cars - and you can go from one to the other by just pushing a button.
Then there is the "Adaptive" mode, where the car's computer will guess what's needed - and change from Comfort to Sport on the fly, and back again - depending on various inputs like road surface, current speed, and the urgency with which you press the accelerator etc. Really does work!
With the Volvo you do have a comfortable vehicle. But, so also with the BMW. However, in the BMW at least you have an option - push Sport and change the nature of the beast.
Or keep it in Adaptive, and let the computer do all the work.
Old 30th November 2018, 12:32   #58
BHPian

Hi,

I test drove both. Q5 is a great performer and comfortable place to be in. But for me, upgrading from a VW Jetta, it did not feel 'special', if you know what I mean. Maybe too much of common components within the family, makes them feel less premium...

Also X3 felt better built, more planted on the road, heavier... So I would recommend X3 if between these 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammee View Post
@Sumain -- congrats on your new X3. Did you take a TD of Q5? I am caught between a X3 and Q5 ...
Looking at now pricing as well as long term reliability. Plan to keep the car for at least 7-8 years.

Last edited by ajmat : 30th November 2018 at 12:45.
ipsanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 12:49   #59
BHPian

Thanks @ipsanand.
I too have a Jetta and you are right, Q5 does have a bit of similarity.
Indeed, after going through test drives of different cars, I realise that having Jetta for 6 years makes you expect a lot from a car, especially when you are spending big bucks ...
Old 30th November 2018, 14:21   #60
BHPian

Me too switching out from a 2012 Jetta. Indeed, going in a 60-70 lakh car, needs to be special, a step change :-) Hence, only X3 and XC60 in my shortlist. XC60 does feel special, but the driver in me says X3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammee View Post
Thanks @ipsanand.
I too have a Jetta and you are right, Q5 does have a bit of similarity.
Indeed, after going through test drives of different cars, I realise that having Jetta for 6 years makes you expect a lot from a car, especially when you are spending big bucks ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks