Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 16:18   #61
BHPian

Re: BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma

Congrats on the new X3.
Please post some pictures of interior, boot space etc of your new X3. Also, what kind of mileage kms/lt of petrol are you getting?
ackyash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 18:50   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
Congrats on the new X3.
Please post some pictures of interior, boot space etc of your new X3. Also, what kind of mileage kms/lt of petrol are you getting?
Mileage - My car has now crossed 5000 km on the odo and city mileage is now 10-11 kmpl on gentle driving. Earlier it was 9-10 kmpl.
Photos - will put up some soon.
Interior is quite spacious - I can sit in the rear seat with one leg on the other knee even if someone is in front. Seats are also larger (and higher) and even the rear seat reclines, which is very comfortable. (I take a nap on my way home with the driver driving).
Boot space of 550 litres is reduced by about 95 litres because of the spare. Even then, it is quite adequate for my needs. Even with the slightly reduced boot height, I can stand a medium sized suitcase on its side and it will still fit under the boot cover. So three can easily fit side by side, leaving space.
Also, the good height of the boot makes loading and arranging things quite easy. Just roll back the cover and you can properly arrange everything the way you want, and then pull back the cover again. Also, you can reach into the boot from the rear seat by pulling down the centre section, for getting at anything you need.
The big boon is also the raised hip height of the seats. So getting in and out without having to crouch is very easy. Also, raised and larger seats, with recline, provide a very comfortable posture for long journeys.
The other great thing is the quietness of the cabin. Sound deadening is excellent, reducing the NVH from an already quiet petrol engine. Acoustic glass reduces traffic and other ambient noise, so that you can hear every note from the excellent Harman/Kardon music system, even when played at a low volume.
Yes, there could have been some more features which BMW offers in Germany and other places, likely driver assistance, but what we get is pretty good, and quality levels are exceptional. (The only thing I wish I had was BMW Comfort Access.)
I am quite happy with my choice.
Sumain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 12:59   #63
BHPian

Whats the fuel tank capacity and average range on a full tank of petrol on this X3 petrol? I hate going to petrol pumps and with the diesel its an advantage that one has to visit the pumps less often.
Have a 2011 X5 3.0d which needs to be replaced with a new vehicle. Looking at the X3 petrol and my mind is 90% made up.
ackyash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 14:42   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whats the fuel tank capacity and average range on a full tank of petrol on this X3 petrol? I hate going to petrol pumps and with the diesel its an advantage that one has to visit the pumps less often.
Have a 2011 X5 3.0d which needs to be replaced with a new vehicle. Looking at the X3 petrol and my mind is 90% made up.
I believe it is around 65 lts. The previous gen X3 (F25) had a capacity of 70 lts.

With the petrol X3, I think you can expect an average of 8.00 kmpl overall. That should give you a range of around 550 kms overall. Maybe a bit more even if you cruise steadily on the highway. Not bad at all for a petrol SUV.

Edit : Sumain above is getting 10-11 kmpl from his X3 30i. That is pretty impressive

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 8th December 2018 at 14:48.
Old 9th December 2018, 09:50   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel tank capacity is 65 litres (I think).
On full tank, it shows a range of 600 - 650 km.
I find it quite adequate for my needs.
(Even on long routes, I run out of steam before the car runs out of fuel. )
Old 16th December 2018, 12:59   #66
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Happy to announce that our X3 30i was delivered last Friday.

My heartiest thanks to @ Sumain, who updated me and introduced me to the dealer at a critical time, other-wise it was not possible to get the car now.

I was in touch with Bird from May, for this car. But last moment they did not receive my calls or Whats App msgs. Also, discount offered was better in Lucknow. When Bird realized business is gone, they started jumping, calling us. I think they took me for granted.

Car was booked on 27th Oct, at time of booking, only 3-4 30i was left at Chennai plant. I was lucky to get my interior/exterior colour choice. Excellent experience from Dealer Speed Motorwagen Lucknow, like never before. They booked the car even before I paid the booking amount, just to make sure that I get the car of my choice (as only one car was left of my choice at the plant). Once again, they registered the car (temp) before I completed full payment. Never had such a homely treatment from a dealer, a complete departure from aristocratic, mechanical attitude. Car arrived at dealers stock-yard on 12th Nov. I got delayed in home coming. As requested by me, car was kept at showroom stock yard. Initial odometer reading was 4 km.
Got accessories worth 85K from them and got BMW freebies: Display key case, M-key chain, card holder.

After a small puja arranged by the dealer, we embarked on a 545 km drive (nothing can be so satisfying than this) back to home (Gurugram) same night, via ALE, JEW, Vrindavan & NH 19. My wife wanted our car to pass over “Dev-Bhumi” while coming home.

Due to engine break-in periods, I am yet to find out her full potentials, but here are some quick facts / initial observation about the car.

• I am yet to explore all settings, features of the car. There are many, I think.

• On a cold start, engine clatter is there (not like diesel), but with-in 2-3 minutes it settles down to acceptable limits. Nothing is audible from inside. Wind noise, tire noise kept at minimum. Only when you push the car a bit, a nice petrol growl is audible faintly. I read somewhere, Bridgestone made a special tire for X3, named ‘ALENZA’.

• In ALE, I kept varying speed, maxing out 90-100 for first one hour, 120 for second hour & 130 for 3rd hour. Fuel efficiency was 12.4 kmpl. I think this is quite astonishing, given ARAI fig of 13.3. After reaching home, over-all it was 12.2 kmpl for the complete journey.

• I am driving with comfort mode till I cross break-in periods. It was very difficult for us (me & wife both was driving) to restrict her with-in 2500 rpm. Slightest dab on the pedal, it crosses 2000 rpm. Engine is very responsive & free revving. Max torque available from as low as 1450 rpm, this means car is ready to pull at any time. Once again ZF combo is flawless, as if it is reading our minds. I did not experience the sluggishness of 6GT with this one. Reason? May be torque (X3: 1450 vs 6GT: 1550) or may be four-wheel drive of X3 vs rear wheel drive with heavy rear weight of 6GT.

• Overall cabin ambiance is excellent, with leather draped panels all around. Very easy to find a perfect driving position. Good all-round view from drivers’ point of view.

• Vernasca leather is far ahead in terms of rich/smoothness than earlier Dakota leather on this segment of BMW cars.

• Gone are the days of BMW’s hard steering wheels. Now it is made of much more smoother, softer leather with proper thumb/finger contours, nice to hold. Even I dropped the plan to replace the steering with my M-Sport Steering from GT. But I would have liked little more responsive horn pad, it requires a firm push to blow.

• Steering is accurate with good feed-back, weighs up nicely with speed. But at higher speed, you can make out artificially induced weight of the steering. Nothing to complain, far better than other Germans.

• Predictable & progressive bite from brakes, inspires confidence in driving. But I have experienced better brakes on 6GT while TD in June. Saying so, no way you need to stand on the brakes to stop the car. Nothing to complain here too.

• Considering it’s a Luxury Line (no sport seats), front seat side bolstering is excellent and far better than my earlier 3GT.

• Park assistance gets activated whenever you are surrounded by the cars, obstructions. Yet to try-out auto-parking feature.

• L-A-R-G-E Panoramic roof, it goes beyond rear occupant’s head, makes cabin airy for long journeys.

• My iPhone got smoothly integrated with the car along with the car play. I was using my phone’s G-Map on idrive navigation page.

• Excellent suspension, body control in comfort mode (yet to explore sport mode). You can make out something is working very hard on our Indian roads to keep you comfortable. But if you drive enthusiastically over large bumps or broken roads, you will be rewarded with side-wise body roll, again in a controlled manner, pulling her back in position.

• Disappointed with the inside rear-view mirror, giving too much glare compared to out-side ones. On my GT, it had a small sensor, and performance was excellent. But these mirrors are having some kind of coated layer, not that effective at all.

• Ingress-egress for the rear is little twisting due to less opening of the rear doors and intruding rear wheel arch. They are not designed to open as wide as the front doors.

• On the day of delivery, woke up early (0445 hrs), to catch a flight to Lucknow with family. Two hours of delay at airport due to fog injected anxiety among us. Then had a small get together with a friend followed by lunch at Lucknow. Took delivery around 1600 hrs, and we started off by 1730 from dealership towards home. Basically, I was bit tired after whole days of action. Couple of tea-break alert popped up on idrive while on ALE & on JEW. It means, she is watching you & your drive very carefully. A nice touch for a long-distance traveler like me. I am yet to find out how it is working.

• Headlight / fog light combo is more than sufficient, can adjust her-self with oncoming lights of traffic.

Coming week-end we will be off to Kolkata with her and back by mid-Jan. Hopefully I will be able to provide much more detailed information with some pictures. Lets have some opening pictures till then.

Brdgs,
Sail
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1809.jpg  

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1812.jpg  

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1813.jpg  

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1811.jpg  

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1807.jpg  

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1819.jpg  

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1818.jpg  

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1822.jpg  

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1805.jpg  

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1834.jpg  

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1835.jpg  

Sail is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 14:01   #67
BHPian

Fuel range of 700 km on a full tank at a steady 120 kmph on the Agra Expressway. X3 30i. Current mileage 7000 km+
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_8252.jpg  

Sumain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 14:07   #68
BHPian

Congrats @Sail on your new beauty! It looks great!!
Brilliant fuel efficiency figures! 12.2 kmpl overall is really great.
I had a similar experience. At a steady 100 kmph, about 12.5 kmpl. At a steady 120 kmph, about 10-11 kmpl. Faster than that, with frequent acceleration and braking, it drops to about 9 kmpl. Still not bad for a petrol SUV.
Cheers, and do keep sending pictures!
Sumain
Sumain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 16:28   #69
BHPian

Congratulations! Beautiful car. Great timing. Glad that you are enjoying it.
Aurum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 17:44   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumain View Post
Fuel range of 700 km on a full tank at a steady 120 kmph on the Agra Expressway. X3 30i. Current mileage 7000 km+
Image stabilization feature of BMW in action to produce a blur free image at 120kmph
Old 16th December 2018, 22:51   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Happy to announce that our X3 30i was delivered last Friday.
Congratulations on the X3 30i. The car looks awesome! Wishing you tens of thousands of miles and smiles.

It is great to see many preferring petrol SUVs over diesel!
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 20:57   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
It is great to see many preferring petrol SUVs over diesel!
Thank you Ganesh, don’t forget you are one of the pioneers showed path for us. Eventually we need to realize the future. Just for example, BMW stopped selling Diesel cars in USA!

Since you have BMW Car Eye installed, I have a question for you.

My car was at 3M for last 2.5 days. Yesterday I suddenly noticed my iPhone map (not goggle map) is showing my car location with distance and direction. Today when I got my car back in my societies open parking lot, it is showing that location. Attached picture for ref.
Any idea how this is working? Is this taking data from car eye GPS module?

Brdgs,
Sail
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-img_1875.png  

Old 19th December 2018, 01:59   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
My car was at 3M for last 2.5 days. Yesterday I suddenly noticed my iPhone map (not goggle map) is showing my car location with distance and direction. Today when I got my car back in my societies open parking lot, it is showing that location. Attached picture for ref.
Any idea how this is working? Is this taking data from car eye GPS module?
Hi Sail,

No. Apple does not take GPS data from the dashcam. It somehow detects that you have parked the car - maybe from movement stopping at a particular place. My iPhone used to give me this information even before I had installed the dashcam.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 14:24   #74
BHPian

I am in a similar dilemma and need your valuable inputs when I am shelling out close to 70L and pressed for time.

I am considering the BMW X3 20d, the Volvo XC60 and the LR Discovery Sport and below is a summary of my observations based on the TD.

1) LR Discovery Sport - Pure British iconic design, build quality, attention to detail and of course world renowned off-road capabilities. But it's a 5+2 seater and didn't find it usable even for kids. Only HSE and HSE Luxury variants are available for MY19 with a retail offer of 11L bringing the OTR price to 50.95L for an HSE Luxury.

2) Volvo XC60 - Understated Swedish sophisticated luxury and use of never seen before technology on board, a road based car on the lines of Tesla (integration of multiple touch screens to communicate via data network). I tried the adaptive cruise control on the Airport road in Bangalore and it works like a charm. Great boot space, roomy interiors, and more so the wifey has fallen in love with it. OTR post discounts is 69L for an Inscription and 71L for an Inscription Plus. Additional features in the Inscription Plus include airmatic suspensions, Heads Up display and Blind Spot aid. (Is it worth shelling out that extra 2L for these features?)

3) BMW X3 20d Luxury Line - I loved it more than the Discovery Sport. The bonnet height has been raised in the new model, though it enhances the overall look and feel I am not sure if it's going to help short drivers - A lot has been told about X3 in the forum already. Post discounts the OTR is 62L.

I am going on vacation for 2 weeks starting tomorrow and need to finalize it today so as to get the delivery by mid-November.

All inputs highly appreciated.

MODS: I didn't want to start a new thread but please do move it as appropriate.
The Enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 15:48   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enthusiast View Post
I am in a similar dilemma and need your valuable inputs when I am shelling out close to 70L and pressed for time.

I am considering the BMW X3 20d, the Volvo XC60 and the LR Discovery Sport and below is a summary of my observations based on the TD.
I think you have made your choice.

If you want a wife - follow the wife's choice and buy the Volvo
If you want a mistress - buy the BMW, jury is out on whether the wife will stay or not (my guess is will be to stay as you can afford the mistress!)

The LR price is quite compelling especially if you do a lot of rough road driving

Last edited by ajmat : 24th October 2019 at 17:52.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed