Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2019, 11:40   #76
BHPian

I'm taking delivery of a X3 30i luxury line today, anything to keep in mind? Or any suggestions for the first initial days?
Thanks
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 10:58   #77
BHPian

Re: BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enthusiast View Post
I am in a similar dilemma and need your valuable inputs when I am shelling out close to 70L and pressed for time.

I am considering the BMW X3 20d, the Volvo XC60 and the LR Discovery Sport and below is a summary of my observations based on the TD.

1) LR Discovery Sport - Pure British iconic design, build quality, attention to detail and of course world renowned off-road capabilities. But it's a 5+2 seater and didn't find it usable even for kids. Only HSE and HSE Luxury variants are available for MY19 with a retail offer of 11L bringing the OTR price to 50.95L for an HSE Luxury.

2) Volvo XC60 - Understated Swedish sophisticated luxury and use of never seen before technology on board, a road based car on the lines of Tesla (integration of multiple touch screens to communicate via data network). I tried the adaptive cruise control on the Airport road in Bangalore and it works like a charm. Great boot space, roomy interiors, and more so the wifey has fallen in love with it. OTR post discounts is 69L for an Inscription and 71L for an Inscription Plus. Additional features in the Inscription Plus include airmatic suspensions, Heads Up display and Blind Spot aid. (Is it worth shelling out that extra 2L for these features?)

3) BMW X3 20d Luxury Line - I loved it more than the Discovery Sport. The bonnet height has been raised in the new model, though it enhances the overall look and feel I am not sure if it's going to help short drivers - A lot has been told about X3 in the forum already. Post discounts the OTR is 62L.

I am going on vacation for 2 weeks starting tomorrow and need to finalize it today so as to get the delivery by mid-November.

All inputs highly appreciated.

MODS: I didn't want to start a new thread but please do move it as appropriate.

What did you finalize? Going by your quote of Volvo doesn't seem to have any discount.
Old 4th November 2019, 23:22   #78
BHPian

This thread was very helpful for my dilemma too! Got confused between a GLC, Q5 and X3. Went ahead and settled for X3 30i. Wrapped up 1600kms in 3 days. Being an ardent driver, couldn't have made a better choice. Loving it! Thank you folks!
carChef is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 21:54   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carChef View Post
This thread was very helpful for my dilemma too! Got confused between a GLC, Q5 and X3. Went ahead and settled for X3 30i. Wrapped up 1600kms in 3 days. Being an ardent driver, couldn't have made a better choice. Loving it! Thank you folks!

Wow that's awesome, congratulations! You've done a crazy amount of kms for 3 days, my X3 30i is about 10 days old now and it's just done 800kms!
Old 6th November 2019, 13:16   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Based on my experience with my G30 530i, the 30i engine is smooth and refined and very fuel efficient. It is fast and agile in highway cruises and winding hilly sections. Perfectly mates to the ZS 8 speed auto, the shifts are absolutely seamless. I would agree it could use a bit more shove at city speeds

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumain View Post
Does anyone know the which fuel is recommended for the X3 with 30i engine?
I fill regular petrol in my 330i. 10 months and 11700km done, no problems whatsoever.

Quote:

It seems that the 30i has one extra mode - SPORT+
From my experience, this just delays the shifts (to higher revs).

Quote:
From what I remember, performance was invigorating, quite different from the 20d which seemed a bit dull, unless you put it in sport mode.

Remember thinking to myself "now this is a real BMW" while driving the 30i. So therefore, thinking of getting one.
+1
I test drove 320d and x20d. 20d is slow and quite noisy as well. 30i is much faster and smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post

Did you thought about fuel quality for 30i ? I will be driving mostly on highways and weekly city rounds. So, I am worried on that aspect.
This is a non issue. I recently did Pune Lansdowne Pune (3600km round trip), refueled at any pump that I came across in the interiors of MP, RJ, HR, UP, UK - just regular petrol, nothing fancy. The 248 BHP direct injection turbopetrol didn't miss a beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I have driven my 330i GT for 13K kms, almost 90% on out station trips. Have been filling regular petrol and the car has been doing great! I just take care to fill petrol in pumps where I see good crowd, or COCO pumps.
+1

Quote:
One more quick (academic) question - what fuel consumption averages are you guys getting on the 30i engine?
- During gentle driving
- While driving in a spirited fashion
Here is a snapshot of my 330i highway FE on NH 19 (NE2-Aurangabad exit to Vrindavan):

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-330i_highway_fe.jpeg

BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma-nh19_aurangabad_vrindavan.jpg

For the entire Pune Lansdowne Pune trip FE was @11 (includes many Sport and Sport+ jaunts, water wading and offroading on non existent roads and lots of ghat driving in Uttarakhand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if the X3 30i gave better fuel economy than the 330i I see you currently have.
This I4 direct injection turbopetrol is quite efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carChef View Post
Went ahead and settled for X3 30i. Wrapped up 1600kms in 3 days. Being an ardent driver, couldn't have made a better choice. Loving it! Thank you folks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
my X3 30i is about 10 days old now and it's just done 800kms!
Congratulations all!

Being a sedan person, I missed this thread until now, glad I clicked it. Nice to see powerful petrols making a come back and the number of 30i's on the forum growing. I am your engine cousin, bought the F30 330i in Jan. It's been 10 months and 11700km of pure joy

Last edited by anandpadhye : 6th November 2019 at 13:18.
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 13:13   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Although I fill regular petrol on my 530i, after the second service, I have been given several small cans of additives by BMW service, to be added while refueling - one can to be added every 2-3 refuels. Maybe a proactive measure by BMW to protect the engine with lower quality fuel. Never had any problems in any case in the first two years. Wasn’t’ charged anything extra, I feel it is a good customer oriented gesture from BMW.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 7th November 2019 at 13:15.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 21:21   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Although I fill regular petrol on my 530i, after the second service, I have been given several small cans of additives by BMW service, to be added while refueling - one can to be added every 2-3 refuels. Maybe a proactive measure by BMW to protect the engine with lower quality fuel.

Wow, they gave the additives free? Do you have BSI or BSI+ to avail this?
I have BSI+ and recently got my first service done but they didn't recommend or give away any additives. May be it's a standard practice to use these only after 2 years?
Old 8th November 2019, 08:12   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I have BSI+ and recently got my first service done but they didn't recommend or give away any additives. May be it's a standard practice to use these only after 2 years?

Well, the second service bill is quite steep around 30K. As far as I can see, the additives have not been charged as separate line items. I am not sure if this is a local dealer initiative or driven by BMW. The sticker price of each bottle is around Rs. 1100, so these are not cheap. And they gave me 4 bottles!
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 14:38   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

You will get 4 of them on your second service, I got diesel additives for my X1 on it's second service. Since you have BSI+ I suppose you won't be charged, but I was charged 800₹ per can, that is for diesel of course.
aman-bh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 18:44   #85
BHPian

Friends, I am looking to purchase a pre-owned X3 petrol - 2018 model year. 15K Kms run. Car is spotless and used by some BMW executives. My running is not more than 12K per year. Quoted price is around 45 L.

BSI+ for 5 years and 6 years of Extended warranty costs an additional 6L. BMW dealer confirmed that the BSI & Warranty will cover only from the original purchase date , so I will lose out on 18 months of warranty as the car is purchased in 2018.

Need your help on a couple of items
- Will the FE be drastically low (like 5 - 6 Kms/L) in city driving condition?
- Apart from brake pads/brake drums, will there be any other costly repairs expected ?

I plan to keep the car for next 7-8 years.

thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 19:03   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post

- Apart from brake pads/brake drums, will there be any other costly repairs expected ?

thanks
The 30i engine is a fuel efficient engine. In my 330i GT, I get 9 to 10kpl in city driving conditions in moderately slow traffic. If the traffic is crawling and bumper to bumper, then I get around 7 to 8. I think you will get similar numbers in X3 as well.

I would suggest you to definitely take the 6 years extended warranty (BRI). This should cover all part failures other than regular wear and tear items like brake pads, discs etc.

If you are expecting 12K kilometers a year, BSI+ would be close to break even. It would give you some peace of mind, but not mandatory.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 02:10   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Friends, I am looking to purchase a pre-owned X3 petrol - 2018 model year. 15K Kms run. Car is spotless and used by some BMW executives. My running is not more than 12K per year. Quoted price is around 45 L.

BSI+ for 5 years and 6 years of Extended warranty costs an additional 6L. BMW dealer confirmed that the BSI & Warranty will cover only from the original purchase date , so I will lose out on 18 months of warranty as the car is purchased in 2018.

thanks

That's great, I have a 20 day old X3 petrol, and I'm already getting a FE of 8.5 km/l in city and mixed driving pattern, it's brilliant! I have a 2 year old X1 as well, and within 18 months apart from brake pads, I had no major work, as I expect with this X3 as well. I'm sure the brake pads can run a few more thousand km's.
Old 18th November 2019, 15:13   #88
BHPian

Thank you Graaja and Aman-bh : I could not proceed with the deal - With Insurance renewal cost, broker commission, BSI+, Extended warranty - it goes way above my budget. Decided to drop it - Great car though.

Will look around
Old 24th November 2019, 10:21   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
What did you finalize? Going by your quote of Volvo doesn't seem to have any discount.
I booked a Volvo XC60 though they had no discounts to offer. I had my heart on the Discovery Sport only because of it's offroading capabilities but then the Volvo had a distinct advantage as it comes packed with features and I have my old school Pajero for all the offroading.

The booking of the XC60 still doesn't help get rid of the dilemma ;-) It continues with Audi offering a Q7 Premium Plus at 80L and a meticulously maintained used 2015 Merc GL350 that's done only 30,000kms at 51L.

I will follow up with updates over the next two weeks
Old 24th November 2019, 12:37   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enthusiast View Post
I booked a Volvo XC60 though they had no discounts to offer. I had my heart on the Discovery Sport only because of it's offroading capabilities but then the Volvo had a distinct advantage as it comes packed with features and I have my old school Pajero for all the offroading.

The booking of the XC60 still doesn't help get rid of the dilemma ;-) It continues with Audi offering a Q7 Premium Plus at 80L and a meticulously maintained used 2015 Merc GL350 that's done only 30,000kms at 51L.

I will follow up with updates over the next two weeks

51L for a used GL350 is expensive, It's almost two generations old now. I'm sure Q7 is cheaper than 80L, I've seen a 63L ex-showroom as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks