Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2018, 09:29   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Is there an M-Performance Power Kit available for the new X3 20d? That should help bump up some power though!
If you're willing to wait until Diwali - also see if the 6GT 30D has any offers going on as I expect it to be a slow seller. It may just be a good compromise.
@lamborghini

Every year I mailed BMW about for this upgrade for my GT. But it is stuck somewhere. As per SAs, its due to homologation issues.
Have taken a test drive of 6GT petrol. 6GT is a fantastic car, but not for us who loves to drive. I think the air-suspension killed it. And also BMW India has mentioned that, this car's priority is ride comfort, driving comes second. With 30d ? will check out for sure. However, family wants a SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
@ Sail I'm looking forward to the X3 30d too. I hope they launch it soon. Most of the main-line BMW models in India come in 3 trims with the M Sport being at the top.

Also the 30i in the X3 seems like a pretty potent unit. With a 0-60 of around 6 secs it should be pretty entertaining. Let us know what you think of it post your Test Drive. Also try to drive the 20d and the 30i back-to-back if possible.

I'm looking to switch from my X1 20d. But really want something with a larger engine. The X3 30d or the upcoming X5 are in my shortlist.

@ thegman

Let us pray together for X3 30d
Have written email to BMW India, inquiring on same. Same standard reply.

Bottom end grunt is missing in 30i. But the engine loves to be revved hard.

X5 is out of my equation due to budget.

Will give a shot at XC60 too.

Cheers

Sail
Sail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 16:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
@lamborghini

Every year I mailed BMW about for this upgrade for my GT. But it is stuck somewhere. As per SAs, its due to homologation issues.
Have taken a test drive of 6GT petrol. 6GT is a fantastic car, but not for us who loves to drive. I think the air-suspension killed it. And also BMW India has mentioned that, this car's priority is ride comfort, driving comes second. With 30d ? will check out for sure. However, family wants a SUV.

Please do check again - and do ask your dealership if they are willing to import it and fix it for you.
IIRC - the issue has been sorted about homologation though: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/bmw-re...wer-kits-india

Some BMW dealerships are pretty accommodating - my cousin got his 328i tuned at a BMW service center (suspension and other bits), and BHPian graaja got his dealership to import and soon to install a sports suspension on his 3GT.

If this doesn't work - a tuner is always a call away to remap the car

However all these are just options - at the end of the day, I personally believe the stock car needs to keep you happy.
Did you see the X5 and are there any good deals?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 18:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Did you see the X5 and are there any good deals?
At present, 10.5 Lakh discount going on X5.

Cheers
Sail
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 20:18   #19
BHPian

BMW India silently launched one more variant of X3 in 20d, called "X-Line". At 54.75L, this model bridges the gap between Expedition and Luxury Line trims.

X3 Luxury Line prices goes up to 58.25 Lakh (Ex-Show-room) for both 20d & 30i .

They also added one lower variant of X5 (Edition X), may be to clear the stocks.

Attaching herewith new price list effective 02 Aug 2018.

Brdgs,
Sail
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW Models Price List_August.pdf (571.1 KB, 1621 views)
Old 28th August 2018, 11:14   #20
BHPian

Does anyone know the which fuel is recommended for the X3 with 30i engine?
I mean what is the recommended octane rating? 87? 91? 95?
All of Delhi gets 91 as a minimum, I think because of an NGT ruling relating to lowering emissions.
But the "normal" fuel everywhere else is 87 octane.
Is this likely to cause a problem when travelling out of town?

@Sail I am on the horns of the same dilemma - X3 20d or 30i? Or, will they bring in a 30d?
Old 28th August 2018, 12:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumain View Post
Does anyone know the which fuel is recommended for the X3 with 30i engine?
I mean what is the recommended octane rating? 87? 91? 95?
All of Delhi gets 91 as a minimum, I think because of an NGT ruling relating to lowering emissions.
But the "normal" fuel everywhere else is 87 octane.
Is this likely to cause a problem when travelling out of town?

@Sail I am on the horns of the same dilemma - X3 20d or 30i? Or, will they bring in a 30d?
I believe the recommended octane rating is 95. Under BS IV all of India gets min 91 RON. According to ownership reports, the car runs fine on 91. Only side effect is slightly reduced power.

If 95/97 is easily available, I suggest - stick to that. When out of town, the car can do with 91. But in the long run it is always advisable to stick to the manufacturer recommended rating. These turbo petrol engines with high compression ratios are more susceptible to bad fuel than other cars. You will have to be picky when tanking up.
Old 28th August 2018, 17:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
No official news till date.

I am in touch with them via email / tweeter. Nothing from dealers also.
I have a gut feeling that, they will launch 30d with BS VI engine, which means little late.
BMW 30i engine is BS VI compliant, but yet to launch any diesel variant. I am in doubt on long term effect of pouring our available gasoline for this engine, especially on highway trips, which I will be doing max.

This is the reason my dilemma continues.....

Brdgs,
Sail
Old 28th August 2018, 17:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
This is the reason my dilemma continues.....

Brdgs,
Sail
Why don't you look at the new Q5? If 30d is not going to be out anytime soon then new Q5 makes a lot of sense.
Old 28th August 2018, 19:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Just in a while ago from a trusted source:

BMW will skip X3 30d, they will bring 30d along with upcoming X4, that will be close to 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Why don't you look at the new Q5? If 30d is not going to be out anytime soon then new Q5 makes a lot of sense.

I prefer aggressive looks over understated design of Audi's (may be I am wrong).

Also I think Q5 remains in same power band of X3 + loss of driving dynamics (IMHO)

Brdgs,
Sail
Sail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 07:53   #25
BHPian

From the respective Specification sheets:

X3 20d:
BMW Driving Experience Control (Modes: ECOPRO, COMFORT, SPORT)

X3 30i
BMW Driving Experience Control (Modes: ECOPRO, COMFORT, SPORT, SPORT+)

It seems that the 30i has one extra mode - SPORT+

@Sail - this is regarding your driving experience with the X3 20d, which it seems was less than "joyous".
Sometimes the dealer test drive car does not perform as expected. Maybe it is too new, and not run in properly?
Also, BMWs have adaptive (or "learning") gearboxes. So, it could have learnt the driving style of the previous test drivers, and become sluggish.
I also read somewhere about "Multiple Driver Syndrome" which can cause a test drive car to behave sluggishly or sub-optimally.
I suggest take another test drive, at another dealership, with a different car. Ensure that the car is not overloaded (only 1 or 2 people, empty boot). Do check the tyre pressure (you will be surprised how often this is ignored).
Also, try switching the car into "Sport" mode to override any bad learning on the gearbox, and to judge the actual potential of the car.
(Depending on your driving style, your own self driven car may have adapted its comfort mode to be much closer to sport mode even when being driven "normally")
Cheers

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th August 2018 at 08:25. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Sumain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 18:17   #26
BHPian

One more review up for X3 20d:

Check at 13.40 sec mark,... that was exactly my feeling, and killed the car completely.

Brdgs
Sail
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 11:08   #27
BHPian

Quote:
One more review up for X3 20d:

Check at 13.40 sec mark,... that was exactly my feeling, and killed the car completely.

Brdgs
Sail
Last weekend I had a look at the new X3 Luxury line at a BMW event. I couldn't drive it as there wasn't enough time to TD. The car didn't impress me much honestly. The interiors are not 5 series level is what I felt.

The rear is really not comfortable for taller folks as it lacks under thigh support as well as leg room.

Did you have a look at Q5 or is it out of the race without a look? If not, then do go and check it out. I am going to do the same just to compare it with X3.

However, I agree that X3 30d would have been a no brainer.
Old 11th September 2018, 18:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The interiors are not 5 series level is what I felt. The rear is really not comfortable for taller folks as it lacks under thigh support as well as leg room.
Did you have a look at Q5 or is it out of the race without a look?

Hi skyliner,

Your observations are spot on !

I am not worried about rear space, as mostly my kiddo will be there.
Excellent RIDE QUALITY of this car really begs you for some sacrifice. Also I think, with my limited budget, I can't expect more. Only issue for me: the tune of this diesel motor, which really depress me.

The shocking aspect is they increased the price more than 520d Lux Line. Don't know what is their pricing theory.

Could not TD Q5 or XC60, will try when I comeback to India in Nov.
Waiting for your feedback.

FYI: Just spoke to my trusted bmw source, X2 is coming this fiscal year, and no chance of X3 with 30d engine.

Brdgs
Sail
Old 13th September 2018, 02:59   #29

Quote:
Last weekend I had a look at the new X3 Luxury line at a BMW event. I couldn't drive it as there wasn't enough time to TD. The car didn't impress me much honestly. The interiors are not 5 series level is what I felt.

The rear is really not comfortable for taller folks as it lacks under thigh support as well as leg room.

Did you have a look at Q5 or is it out of the race without a look? If not, then do go and check it out. I am going to do the same just to compare it with X3.

However, I agree that X3 30d would have been a no brainer.
From what I understand, X1 is the SUV version of the 1 series, X3 is equivalent to the 3 series and X5 is the SUV version of 5 series. Hence, I would expect 5 series to have more plush exteriors compared to the X3. T
Old 13th September 2018, 11:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
And to my fortune I did lots of mod (coding) to my car with-in few weeks of deliver
Let us know if you have personally done it or got it done by tuner? If so which tuner..

Last edited by brraj : 13th September 2018 at 11:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks