Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 17:50   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Luxury Car: INR 50-75L Bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Correct, add the new 3 Series LWB to the list.

We have the previous gen ES300 and its a great car. The suspension is superb!

You have unfortunately missed out on discounts on the E and 5 base models that were great value going for 10L off in Dec. OTR of the E was 60L and 530i sport was a few lakhs less closer to 55L. But dealers in Mumbai and delhi are not sold out of the base models and not discounting much anymore.

Lexus is never aggressive on discounts, only time they were was when I bought the ES they offered free RTO tax which in MH costed 12L since the previous gen was a CBU. Besides that I have not heard of Lexus having much discount so you can perhaps get similar deals this month as previous.

Please do call Delhi dealers before closing the deal, both BMW and Merc now have 3 dealership there and its a bloodbath.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 23:13   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
How about the 350? Air suspension + RFT replacement with tubeless will give you the magic carpet feeling. Get the extended warranty and you'll be good to go.
The E350 is simply too expensive new, and very few cars available in the pre-owned segment.

Quote:
The 3 LWB is going to be overpriced at launch + low seating which could be a bit concerning for dad : would rather get the Mercedes for a little bit more as you rightly said on the 3 LWB thread - in Delhi they're offering discounts on the exclusive trim that make it maybe ₹1 lakh more expensive than the expression trim in Mumbai.

However if it's the preferred option, need to book it as soon as possible as there is a 5.5% price hike expected on the 13th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Any particular reason you haven't considered the Toyota Camry? Apart from badge value, it seems to satisfy most of your requirements.
The Camry is a brilliant car. However dads an enthusiast and prefers his Germans despite me trying. The Lexus itself was a hard-sell, the Camry even more so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post

Like v1p3r said, only if you can extend your budget, a 630d M-Sport or a E350d would make for great choices.
Budget aside, the other issue is any new diesel will require longer runs, AdBlue, etc.
This year, even with several outstation trips, we don't see it doing more than 5,000kms, and the short daily commute means the engine reaches optimum temperature just as we reach our destination.
That being said, a BS4 630D / E350 is surely tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

We have the previous gen ES300 and its a great car. The suspension is superb!

You have unfortunately missed out on discounts on the E and 5 base models that were great value going for 10L off in Dec. OTR of the E was 60L and 530i sport was a few lakhs less closer to 55L. But dealers in Mumbai and delhi are not sold out of the base models and not discounting much anymore.

Lexus is never aggressive on discounts, only time they were was when I bought the ES they offered free RTO tax which in MH costed 12L since the previous gen was a CBU.
Please do call Delhi dealers before closing the deal.
Maybe I need another drive in the ES as the one they brought crashed fairly loudly over the bumps between Mantralaya & Air India building.
However they are stingy on discounts, the car is one of the most expensive in it's segment today with nothing to really show for it except the hybrid motor, etc.
Truthfully was more impressed with the ES when I took a test drive a couple of years ago of the model you have than the experience this time around.
However still on the shortlist.

On the BMW: we've been speaking to dealers since mid-Dec.
Unfortunately the 630i GT was sold out, and the discounts on E200 weren't impressive in Mumbai - the dealer still has one unit left and will pass on the same discount provided I book it tomorrow.
The 530i Sport too will have a similar discount going for it and M-sport was sold out.
Interestingly the Delhi Mercedes dealer was okay with shipping to Bombay, but the BMW dealers were a lot more hesitant.
Old 8th January 2021, 10:53   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Interestingly the Delhi Mercedes dealer was okay with shipping to Bombay, but the BMW dealers were a lot more hesitant.
Yes true. But I think things will change now as Infinity BMW from Mumbai is now the third BMW dealer in Delhi so they internally will definitely transfer stocks and hence other dealers will break their territory rules too.
It's a free country at the end of the day, such restrictions are against consumerism, let the best dealer win!
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

I'd take the Lexus ES too. It is silky smooth, roomy, the interiors are sumptuous, reliable, fuel efficient and Lexus after sales in widely regarded as the best in the industry.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 18:34   #50
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Hey Lambo

Not sure if your dad has already test driven the Camry in Sports mode. If not, I suggest he does so. Given the traffic conditions in Bombay, it makes absolute sense to get a Hybrid, not just due to rising cost of fuel, but the sheer quietness! I can vouch that the Camry has a better backseat than the Lexus ES300. Have travelled way too much in Careems & Ubers.

We've got a 2 days old Camry and I must say it's sheer delight for parents with the quietness and suspension. Unless he cares about the badge, (Don't think because you already have enough badged cars!) there should be no reason to not consider the Camry.

Cheers
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 13:08   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I'd take the Lexus ES too. It is silky smooth, roomy, the interiors are sumptuous, reliable, fuel efficient and Lexus after sales in widely regarded as the best in the industry.
Will probably schedule a test drive of the newer ES this weekend and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Hey Lambo

Not sure if your dad has already test driven the Camry in Sports mode. If not, I suggest he does so. Given the traffic conditions in Bombay, it makes absolute sense to get a Hybrid, not just due to rising cost of fuel, but the sheer quietness! I can vouch that the Camry has a better backseat than the Lexus ES300. Have travelled way too much in Careems & Ubers.

Cheers
Hi RJK,

Was following your posts about the CRV & Camry.
Truth be told, we love our Japs. I'd love to get either of these (pre-owned now in case of the CRV) in the garage, but as something to replace the Corolla in a few years.

Dad, though brand agnostic, loves his Germans and even though he's rarely going to drive it (once / twice a year tops) - trying to convince him the C & 3 already in the garage are what he'll rather get behind the wheel of in the city.

Right now he's leaning towards the 530i, even though I'm trying hard for the E/ES/6; though in my head I know the 530i makes sense with its relative simplicity (no air suspension like the 6GT, 17" rubber which is great for potholed city commute, and lower maintenance than the Mercedes - basis our experience with the C, and easy enough for the chauffeurs to drive - all of whom are 60+).
Plus the heart is happy as it would be a great compliment to the C & 3 for those highway runs with me behind the wheel (we've already done 1200kms on the highway in the last two weeks with several more runs coming up this year due to covid, though 2022 onwards I expect them to reduce).

The heart though would prefer the E / 6GT as they feel like an upgrade. If the 530i does win, I know I'll be writing a similar thread in a few years as I'm already eyeing it for daily use when we replace the C and have got some younger blood ferrying the parents around

That being said : came across a couple of tempting deals on the pre-owned market as well which I'm eyeing as well, including a 2020 BS4 630D GT.

Quote:
Was waiting for the launch. Though not a big fan of the car as I've expressed in other threads the launch pricing & initial reviews don't help.

At nearly 4-5L more than the 530i Sport (post discounts) + softer suspension & lower seating it doesn't seem like a great deal especially with the discounted E Class being a few lakhs away.
The 5 will definitely not be as spacious but should be nicer to drive, and sit in (better quality interiors + rear side window sunblinds - the only thing my mother misses in the corolla compared to the E60 5, higher seating).

Either ways should have some conclusion shortly once he sees the 3LWB & 6GT in flesh.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 22:59   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

After over a month of racking our heads since the last post, coupled with several road trips & some semblance of normality with dad's chauffeur returning back to work after several months of ferrying colleagues around - we finally picked up a pre-owned 2019 ES300 CBU, which had clocked 9.9K at the time of delivery.

What really tilted the deal was the second round of showroom visits / test drives of the contenders after re-spending some time behind the A6 + a re-jig of our priorities (comfortable rear seat whilst being easy to drive, Indian road friendly : should be able to take bumps & undulations in it's stride, relatively trouble free & easy to maintain).

The E Class was ruled out first : the interiors were lovely in terms of design, feel, and space; but our experience with the W205 C220 hasn't been stellar : rattles, misc. niggles & failures, higher maintenance & early wear and tear (roof lining is bubbling in 4 years, front pads lasted 10K km only, etc.). Given a lot of these parts are common / similar in the E - it wasn't reassuring.
The average ride quality, average engines, average NVH, etc. didn't do much to help it's case either.

BMW 530i : The discounts on the A6, with it's nicer interiors + features + practicality (dedicated wheel well for space saver, high profile 18" tubeless tyres, etc. made the 530i pale in comparison.
While the heart wanted one to make those expressway family trips more fun, the head didn't seem to agree especially since we have a 328i that is equally quick, planted, and as unwelcoming in the rear seats

BMW 6GT : If the pre-owned ES didn't pop up, we probably would have ended up with a new 6GT. The car is brilliant, and after discounts - great VFM too.
Yes, I would be worried about the air suspension every time the chauffeur hits the unavoidable bump, but truth be told the 6GT probably had the best ride quality - something the A6 has spoiled us with despite all the complaints about the air suspension & it's niggles.

Audi A6: Truth be told, the discounts made us re-look at this car as Plan B. With extended warranty, availability of good independent mechanics, and removal of the air suspension : this was an option that started to seem workable and sealed a spot in the top 3.

And finally : the ES. It ticked all the boxes, and during the second test drive - dad was at home driving it, ride was better, etc. In fact, with it's nicer looks & interiors + smoother drive (overall, not just ride quality which the 6GT trumps), it was the preferred candidate.
Dad also loved the hybrid tech which was a big plus!
However, it was nearly 6-7L more expensive than the 6GT 30i, which just didn't make sense on any level! Thankfully, it seems the higher powers were just tired of this dilemma too, and a pre-owned ES popped up on a used car portal. A quick inspection, followed by a more thorough job by Lakozy Toyota (Lexus Service Partner) - we got the green signal & brought her home!
Hope to share a more detailed review once we've added some miles!

Despite being a self proclaimed car guy, it wouldn't have even been a contender were it not for all the advice here.
Thank you guys!!
lamborghini is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 02:01   #53
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Good reliable choice! Can you share how much you got it for?
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 08:09   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats @lamborghini. At the right price, ES is an excellent choice for your purpose. The main hurdle with ES has always been the price, especially to those who are open to buying something from EU stable. Look forward to your ownership updates. All the very best!
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 09:42   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations @Lamborghini. Excellent choice even though I am clearly biased :-). The pre-owned you bought ,is it the old model (like mine) or the new model which came in 2019 I think. If the latter it certainly has much better interiors than the earlier one. All the best and wish you many miles of safe driving. Please post some photos.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
...Robert Frost

Last edited by V.Narayan : 21st March 2021 at 09:45.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 20:50   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Good reliable choice! Can you share how much you got it for?
Thank you!

Have sent a PM about the price, but its a little bit more than what a new Camry Hybrid would've costed on road under Corporate Reg (20% tax bracket which is what the CBU Lexus has)

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Congrats @lamborghini. The main hurdle with ES has always been the price, especially to those who are open to buying something from EU stable. Look forward to your ownership updates. All the very best!
Thank you so much!
I agree 100% on the price point.
At the prices Lexus India wants us to shell out for a new model, it's a tough sell.
I just wouldn't buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Congratulations @Lamborghini. Excellent choice even though I am clearly biased :-). The pre-owned you bought ,is it the old model (like mine) or the new model which came in 2019 I think. If the latter it certainly has much better interiors than the earlier one. Please post some photos.
Thank you Sir!
It's the current gen ES.
Pic as requested, parked next to its step-sibling.
Attached Thumbnails
Luxury Car: INR 50-75L Bracket-1616340038478.jpg  

lamborghini is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 21:05   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

Thank you Sir!
It's the current gen ES.
Pic as requested, parked next to its step-sibling.
Sweet. In white :-) It has got presence!
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks