Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2007, 00:38   #1
BHPian

Classic Benz or make a suggestion?

Hey Guys,

I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this. (Mods - would this be better in the classic car forum?) But here goes anyway. I have been looking to add a classic car to the collection in the US and was holding out for the Jag XK150 but the price on these things are going through the Roof. Latley, I have come across some really nice example of Early 60's MB190SLs (See attached pics below) and think this might be a better bet since the median is about $30,000. I don't know if this would be the right car to have from an investment point of view? Do you think it's value will appreciate? I like the way it looks but not as much as the shape of the curvey XKs. What other Convertibles from the 50s / 60s should I consider. Thanks.

Cars short listed - 190SL as of now Looking to add some more
Price range - $20,000 to $30,000
Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations - Ummm - Its a classic so I guess she will need to be pampered.

Average distance traveled per month - Not more that 100 miles a month.
Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc) - In Town - maybe NYC sometimes.
Chauffer driven / self driven - Self.
Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family - Yes.
Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort) - Should be a nice ride,
How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you) - 10 to 15 years or more depending on appreciation.

P.S. These Pictures are of the actual cars being considered.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th January 2007 at 17:48.
Old 11th January 2007, 02:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great car pics vcash. Looks in mint condition too. Well to be honest I think the SL of the 60s would be a good investment, what is called the Pagoda Top.
Or better the S coupes and convertibles of 65-68, i.e the 250-280-300 coupes or convertibles.
I really dont know what price they command in the US but they are great investments as there are very few floating around
Old 11th January 2007, 02:30   #3
elf
BANNED

Hey vcash, here's a coupla things...

1. Please post the images so that they're easy to view. The current one's too wide & causes horizontal scrolling on most screens.

2. This, as you've figured, is a forum of Automobile Enthusiasts. We're passionate guys who spend as much money & time as we have, without thinking of it as a financial investment or it's subsequent return. For that, you'll have to go to an investment bankers' forum or the pork futures forum. We're definitely the wrong guys for you to talk to about this.

3. If you'd love to own the beautiful MB 190SL pictured above, then that's great! I can only offer you my own opinion - that I too would love to have one of these parked in my garage someday. And no, not because I expect it to appreciate in value, but for the pleasure & passion of owning one of the finest examples of the automobile for it's time. And the value it would add to my life. A 'stop to smell the roses' sorta thing.

4. Buy it if you know what you're buying. Else stick to something other than automobiles or art. Gold bricks generally appreciate fantastically over the 10-15 year period that you mentioned.

Life isn't only about money or posessions. It's about passion.

Note from mod - I have moved the pics one below the other for viewing convenience.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th January 2007 at 17:49.
elf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2007, 02:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wah Wah Elf bhai.... Aapne meri aankhien khol di. Well said my friend and I Salute you for your views!!
Old 11th January 2007, 03:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
vcash, here's a coupla things...

1. Please post the images so that they're easy to view. The current one's too wide & causes horizontal scrolling on most screens.

2. This, as you've figured, is a forum of Automobile Enthusiasts. We're passionate guys who spend as much money & time as we have, without thinking of it as a financial investment or it's subsequent return. For that, you'll have to go to an investment bankers' forum or the pork futures forum. We're definitely the wrong guys for you to talk to about this.

3. If you'd love to own the beautiful MB 190SL pictured above, then that's great! I can only offer you my own opinion - that I too would love to own one of these someday. And no, not because I expect it to appreciate in value, but for the pleasure & passion of owning one of the finest examples of the automobile for it's time. And the value it would add to my life. A 'stop to smell the roses' sorta thing.

4. Buy it if you know what you're buying. Else stick to something other than automobiles or art. Gold bricks generally appreciate fantastically over the 10-15 year period that you mentioned.

Life isn't only about money or posessions. It's about passion.
Thanks V-16! 300 Sl's are too expensive for my taste so I will research the other cars.

@Elf - Thanks for the advice. I am as passionate about my automobiles here as the next guy here. As you can see in my other posts I already own a 190c among some other cars that will never gain in value - but I love them so I own them.

Most Avid car collectors in mature markets know that when you purchase a collectible - it should be appeasing to the eye, sensuous and sensual to drive, have great pedigree and history, make you want to drive her everyday but at the same time it should be a appreciable asset. You do not need an investment banker nor a futures trader to tell you this. Classic cars are a lot like Art. If I buy a Warhol painting for a few million, I will appreciate it, stare at and introspect on the feelings and emotions it stirs up within me. However the cold logic that made me spend a few million dollars will also want pacifying that I have not invested in a dud. God forbid that if I lose interest in the painting or my tastes change with time, I would like to be assured that when I go to sell it I get back a lot more in order to purchase my next flight of fancy. What is an increase in value except for a reflection of society's desire in that piece of art?

I know that in 15 years, circumstances may change where I can no longer keep the car or perhaps my taste matures for something else - why should I invest in something that does not gain value. And by invest and value - I mean not money, but time, effort, passion and love. The 190 SL is no doubt gorgeous but I want to explore all my options before I 'invest' in her. Thats why I wanted to see what others here thought - in terms of choice? Maybe an Alfa or a classic Cadi or something else.

And as for Gold appreciating quicker than art? The last Jason Pollock sold for $140 Million. I beleive when it came on the market a few years after it was painted in 1948 - it was only worth a few thousand dollars.

I am not being defensive here - just wanted to alter your sense of assumptions about my purchase motives. After all the nick vcash, does not come from a lust for money but is an abbreviated form of my name.

Thanks

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th January 2007 at 17:48. Reason: Pics rearranged in original post
Old 11th January 2007, 10:15   #6
BANNED

Beautiful car...but how about an E Type? I'm pretty ignorant about costs though...
Old 11th January 2007, 19:49   #7
BHPian

Hey Boom Shiva - The E-types are nice an about the same price as the SLs but the styling does not appeal - too Cigarish - with Jags the Xk140s/150s are my favorites but cars go from $60,000 to upwards of $150,000.
Old 11th January 2007, 21:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Jaguars have always been more stylish than Mercs, but, remember one thing, in the yesteryears, Mercs were the best built cars in the world. Not much could go wrong with them - a point that's very important when maintaining a classic. Besides, the old SL is a very sexy car too. Nice car - go for it!
IMO, the current range of Mercs is just not appealing enough.
Old 6th June 2007, 10:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

well, the major advantge with both the 190 and the 150 is that mercedes and jaguar both will supply you with practically all the requisite spares. between an xk and an sl, i would pick the 150...purely for its novelty factor....but like its been said, jags are very troublesome compared to a a merc...in the end it always boils down to the individual car, its condition, history and price. Im positive both will appreceiate fairly well over the years...hope you enjoy your open top motoring.

cheers
karl

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks