Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2018, 19:47   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW X3 vs Skoda Kodiaq EDIT: Booked Audi Q5 TFSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post

Respectively 43, 63, 64 (20d, there's no 30d) and around 70.
These are On-Road prices including Insurance & Road Tax- correct? Isn't the Road tax 15% in Mumbai on MRP, roughly 12 Lac and say 1 Lac for Insurance, this translates to an ex-showroom price for X5 @ 65, I feel you can negotiate little more, perhaps check with Rishi or Mod Akshay, privately or here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
Love the car, replaced it with another X5 few weeks ago for obvious reasons (discounts).
Congrats on the new car. You must have lost a lot on the depreciation though, were you missing some features or? I am also looking for a change but waiting for the new X5 just because of the Air Suspension. Hope they price sensibly.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th December 2018 at 19:55.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 20:00   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My personal opinion - between 64 lakh and 70 lakh a larger X5 with 3.0 engine is honestly a hands down no brainer.
I think OP's upgrade plan is jinxed

Kodiaq: For a Jetta owner, its an old wine in an expensive new bottle.
X3: 64L is too much when X5 3.0 is 70L. Just the 3.0 engine alone costs 10L+ premium over 2.0L blocks within the same model.
X5: Overkill based on budget and size. Home minister veto is inevitable.

I think Jetta owners should time their update when X3/5-series or their equivalent segment cars are due for model replacement to find a good bargain. Otherwise it is a royal pain to upgrade from Jetta.

Last edited by androdev : 13th December 2018 at 20:02.
androdev is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 20:28   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
These are On-Road prices including Insurance & Road Tax- correct? Isn't the Road tax 15% in Mumbai on MRP, roughly 12 Lac and say 1 Lac for Insurance, this translates to an ex-showroom price for X5 @ 65, I feel you can negotiate little more,
Looks I made an error, the ex-showroom price for X5 is 79 so On-Road 70 means Discounts of around 22 Lac? unless you are talking about Expedition or are you? The best price I got here in Delhi was around 62 Ex last month, I thought they can come down to 60 maximum.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th December 2018 at 20:31.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 20:37   #64
BHPian

Quote:
The 3rd row in Kodiaq is a joke for adults, but not for a 9 and 6 year old, at least not for the next few years. The Kodiaq is undoubtedly more spacious and well-equipped than the Tiguan. Also, even more than the Kodiaq, the Tiguan felt like I was driving the Jetta all over again.

Respectively 43, 63, 64 (20d, there's no 30d) and around 70.

At those prices X5 is a no brainer over X3 in my opinion. You will get a better car (although a generation old) in almost all the parameters (most importantly that 6 cylinder engine), provided that the upkeep costs of X5 (which i expect to be higher than the X3) are not a burden for you. Although you will miss out on latest touch screens and screens probably, the better mechanical specs and higher luxury specifications easily swing the balance in X5's favour.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 13th December 2018 at 20:39.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 20:39   #65
BHPian

Quote:
My personal opinion - between 64 lakh and 70 lakh a larger X5 with 3.0 engine is honestly a hands down no brainer.
Thats not really the comparison though, is it? Its really 43 vs 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
These are On-Road prices including Insurance & Road Tax- correct? Isn't the Road tax 15% in Mumbai on MRP, roughly 12 Lac and say 1 Lac for Insurance, this translates to an ex-showroom price for X5 @ 65, I feel you can negotiate little more, perhaps check with Rishi or Mod Akshay, privately or here.
I think the math is a bit off here. The ex-showroom will be below 60 in this case. Just saw your second post. This is the Pure Experience that I expect will come down to 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I think OP's upgrade plan is jinxed

Kodiaq: For a Jetta owner, its an old wine in an expensive new bottle.
X3: 64L is too much when X5 3.0 is 70L. Just the 3.0 engine alone costs 10L+ premium over 2.0L blocks within the same model.
X5: Overkill based on budget and size. Home minister veto is inevitable.

I think Jetta owners should time their update when X3/5-series or their equivalent segment cars are due for model replacement to find a good bargain. Otherwise it is a royal pain to upgrade from Jetta.
I've dug myself an SUV sized hole here. If I was looking for a sedan, the 3 GT, 5 series and (maybe) E class would have been great options. There are good deals on the 5 series, I think. The luxury 20d will come below 60. However, I'm pretty clear it will be an SUV this time.

I would have negotiated the X3 down a bit, but without the right colour options, thats a waste of time.

Despite the fact that its a no-brainer for any petrolhead, in our case, the X5 will have to blow our collective minds to consider it. It has a lot going against it - the monetary stretch, the fact that it's late-gen, the size and the image it projects. In the home minister's mind, this isnt very far from a planet-chewing Hummer.

Last edited by Aurum : 13th December 2018 at 20:48. Reason: Added additional responses
Aurum is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 21:01   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats not really the comparison though, is it? Its really 43 vs 70.

Sorry my post might have been confusing but that is exactly my point. If you are going for the Kodiaq at 43L I can understand. I simply cannot understand an X3 purchase when the X5 is only 7 lakh more. which is why I made the point since the comparison is between X3 and Kodiaq and the X5 is not in contention (originally at least).

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th December 2018 at 21:03.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 21:48   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Like itwasntme says, If someone had done it before with the Kodiaq, and the warranty wasnt at risk, I could have thought about it. I'm not keen to be the pioneer on this one.
That is a good idea.

Usually, they do not check the ECU unless there is a warranty claim on engine/transmission. But if there is a warranty claim on engine, then the remap will definitely be detected and most probably warranty will be null and void. So go for the Kodiaq only if you are ok with the power the engine offers in stock.
graaja is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 10:59   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry my post might have been confusing but that is exactly my point. If you are going for the Kodiaq at 43L I can understand. I simply cannot understand an X3 purchase when the X5 is only 7 lakh more. which is why I made the point since the comparison is between X3 and Kodiaq and the X5 is not in contention (originally at least).
I see what you are getting at. The Kodiaq L&K at 43 will come back into play only if there is no RS being launched in the near future and the 30i (relevant colours) discounts go down over the next few months.

For now, the X5 will be evaluated stand-alone, as in, do we like it enough to pay such moneys for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is a good idea.

Usually, they do not check the ECU unless there is a warranty claim on engine/transmission. But if there is a warranty claim on engine, then the remap will definitely be detected and most probably warranty will be null and void. So go for the Kodiaq only if you are ok with the power the engine offers in stock.
I'm willing to wait to see if the RS comes out and/ or the 30i relevant colours are available at similar discounts.

BTW, even the Skoda sales guy recommended that I remap the Kodiaq, but only after 3 years.
Old 14th December 2018, 12:39   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ajmat,
I just sold my X5, did 3 Raid-de-Himalaya in it (as an official). It went to Spiti 3 times (including 1 in March this year when the roads were officially not open), Leh, Zanskar and some extreme stretches of Kashmir valley. Love the car, replaced it with another X5 few weeks ago for obvious reasons (discounts).

Attachment 1827394
Brilliant! nothing like first hand experience and data!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 12:50   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Brilliant! nothing like first hand experience and data!
Completely forgot to share one more point. I won INRC TSD Rally Championship Leg -1 (2nd place on podium) in BMW X5
rishi_kapoor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 13:06   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Completely forgot to share one more point. I won INRC TSD Rally Championship Leg -1 (2nd place on podium) in BMW X5
Congrats!, How did the tyres hold up on the rougher stages?
Old 14th December 2018, 13:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Congrats!, How did the tyres hold up on the rougher stages?
I used this BFG TA/KO2 255/55/18 (OEM spec). Importing the tyres was a big pain.

I have kept a set with me to use with new X5 that I bought few weeks ago to take to Raid.
rishi_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 16:52   #73
BHPian

Test drove the X5 DPE yesterday. As expected, it's a great vehicle. Great to drive, well equipped with MID and the touch screen iDrive. Wife liked it, but felt it was a bit high (our parents may not find it easy to get in and out). She also felt like she was floating inside it due to the size.

I was mistaken about the pricing. The discount is around 17l, bringing it to 75l on road (Now I know why Turbanator was so surprised with what I was getting). The sales guy had told me about the DPE when we met, but when he sent me the pricing, it was for the Edition X (base variant), despite the fact that we had never spoken about the Edition X. However, I should have read it closer.

Since my wife doesnt hate it, there is one scenario in which the X5 could still be considered.
- Prices increase and the X3 30i goes back to around 68-69 lakhs come April
- Kodiaq RS does not get launched here
- XC60 (the only viable competitor) continues to maintain its sticky pricing above 70l (why arent there discounts on this?)

If all of the above remain true in 4 months time, it may be worth it to take the plunge on the X5. I dont think discounts will go away on the X5, but choices of colour/ car may be lower.
Aurum is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 21:26   #74
BHPian

(This should be merged with the previous post)

On a different note, I heard from a dealer that the X4 may be coming in the first quarter next year. Does anyone have any news?

Was wondering if they were instead talking about the X2, which i think i read about on a different thread.
Old 17th December 2018, 20:12   #75
BHPian

Crickets all around (in my research today).
- Skoda said they have no plans for the RS, and I will be the first to know if they do (Yay.)
- No response from BMW on when the 30i will be available next. The dealer says earliest would be April, and he has no idea about the pricing of the new kits beyond the 4% hike (not surprising he would say that). Sail, you hit a sixer in the last over.
- Practically no discounts on the XC60 Inscription (just over a lakh or so). Checked with a couple of dealers in other cities as well. 71+ seems high.

The X5 did come down further by a lakh and half. Somehow we still feel its a bit too much and will quickly feel long in the tooth.

Suddenly got a call from the Audi guys. The petrol Technology version is available at really attractive prices (good enough to close immediately). Somehow, when we drove the diesel, something about it didn't click, and I cant put my finger on what the issue was. Maybe I should try and drive the petrol?
Aurum is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed