Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2018, 15:39   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW X3 vs Skoda Kodiaq EDIT: Booked Audi Q5 TFSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
Its 20 lakhs on this vs 20 lakhs on some other indulgence, so thats really the comparison.
Go cheap and slow on everything else. That's our motto here.

BMW X3 vs Skoda Kodiaq EDIT: Booked Audi Q5 TFSI!-screen-shot-20181211-3.10.01-pm.png
androdev is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 16:14   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Skoda may launch the Kodiaq RS next year & that should solve a lot of your problems in this dilemma.
Hey do you have any definitive information on this? I'm quite intrigued at the prospect of a Kodiaq RS although I suppose it'll take some serious courage to plonk 50L or so (I'm guessing) on a Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
From a comparison of the experiences of my Superb and others’ BMWs (mostly 5 series), the 5 has proved much more reliable. On an average, I had to take the Superb to the service center 3-4 times a year beyond the routine service, while BMW owners managed with just 1-2 times in 2 years.
This is the exact concern I would have at the prospect of owning a Skoda. On the one hand I find some Skoda products completely irresistible. But it is the time, money and effort on the unreliability factor that I find off putting. I had actually hoped that some of these issues have become a thing of the past.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 19:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm with you on this. The Jetta spoils you, which is why, having driven all the cars in segment , the only ones in consideration were the X3 30i and the XC60. The BMW drives quite a bit better than the Kodiaq but its not like the Kodiaq is bad. On the other hand, the space, economy and slightly more equipment stack things in favour of the Kodiaq. I have no fancy for the badge. In fact, I wish I could debadge it
You can also consider buying the Kodiaq and saving those 20 lakhs for a engine remap and other mods, suspension upgrade and a couple of trips to the Maldives
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 21:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Attachment 1826770
You bet.@Aurum I think this forward below from a fellow BHPian in additon to Androdev's pic is going to seal it for you.

Audi RS5 4.2 FSi on the Left.
Skoda Superb 3.6 FSi 4x4 on the Right.
Xiaomi 'Spiderman Edition' in the Centre.

Don't tell us we didn't warn you.Did I hear someone say 'Live to Drive'?
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X3 vs Skoda Kodiaq EDIT: Booked Audi Q5 TFSI!-img20181211wa0043.jpg  

Last edited by octane1002 : 11th December 2018 at 21:11.
octane1002 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 21:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
In to your 40s, got the means to buy a X3 30i - just go for it! Kodiaq maybe the practical choice, but I would say listen to the heart now, and go for the practical option 5-6 years later, whenever the X3 is due for a change
The practical option is useful now, when the kids are young. Once they are older, they wont even want to be seen with me in the same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Go with Kodiaq. And with kids who would be looking for fun on holidays, these things will matter more.

If you really want a handler then you should look at 530d and not X3. Then at least you will be at peace knowing you got the real fun car which you can push around the corners.

Also, I feel the new 3series which is coming next year will make X3 feel a bit outdated. I know they are two different cars but the new 3's interiors are leaps ahead of the current X3.
We are pretty clear we want an SUV and not a sedan, and a 3 series is not worth the upgrade from the Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
But when the discussion moves to what 20 lakhs means to someone, it is impossible to come to a conclusion based on others' inputs. You just end up more confused than when you started. Though all of us can give you our perception (some will say go with Kodaq and others will say go with X3), it still would remain our perception only based on our life situations, and not yours. You are the only one who can experience your own situation and make the final decision. Not helping at all, am I?

Androdeve nailed it. I was in exactly the same dilemma when I was trying to decide between the Octavia VRS and the BMW 330i. Even there I had this 20 lakh price difference and I could have used the 20 lakhs for many other good things in life. I am 45 already, and when time comes to get the next car, I may not be interested in the power and handling a fast car has to offer and may just settle with a mid level comfortable car. This sealed the deal for me. I did not want to look back in life and feel I had missed out that opportunity to drive a fast BMW.

If you can afford that 20L, if that 20L is not going to break your bank or wreck you financially, and if you are already in your 40's, then this is the time to go where your heart tells you to!
I was hoping for perspectives here, not answers, because I know many people here would gave gone through similar situations before. I followed your thread very closely, graaja, as it was one of the closest to my own. Its one of the reasons we continued thinking of the higher segment.

Having said that, I have also tried to convince myself that its now or too late, but I don't think that's strictly true. Passing up the X3 now doesnt mean that I will not be able to enjoy a BMW in a few years. no reason to unnecessarily postpone though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Quite an interesting discussion and some great advice from the current owners.

With all the technicalities already debated, done and dusted, my two cents would be to decide - what is it that matters most to you when facing this dilemna - is it about the "family" decision that a Kodiaq solves (in terms of outright/huge monetary benefits, which can be redeployed for the kids' future/vacation plus other benefits like the 3rd row seats to be used for few more years etc.) OR is it the "personal"/ desirability decision that the BMW solves (the oomph, power and ofcourse the big brand value)?

This is like a decision tree in a boardroom, wherein you have to answer the most difficult question first and then go on to take the rest of the relatively easy decisions.

P.S. I don't own any of these beauties to share any real-life conundrums like the others so just putting on my "consulting" hat for the time being
Having been a former consultant myself, I have realized that applying advice to yourself is the most difficult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Treat these year end deal negotiations with BMW dealers like a five day test match and not like a T20
Thats a good point. Having waited so far, no need to rush now. These discussions can go well into January and February. All the more because the Kodiaq L&K prices shouldnt change soon (its just been launched).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
You have listened to your heart and lets say you have bought the Bimmer home.

I step in from nowhere and offer you a 'no questions asked reward' of 20 lakhs cash, if you would just agree to give the X3 up and swap for the practical and plush 7 seater from Skoda. Would you do it?

That would be your answer.
The honest answer here is, I dont know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Aurum,

Unless I have missed your burning need for a expensive SUV (with which you will actually do SUV-worthy activities), switch to the 530D and take advantage of the rumoured 10L+ discounts. Ex-S for X3 is 58L & 530D (after discounts) is 56L.

You'll get the most leched-after sedan (among enthusiasts) in IN. Just limit the offroading appropriately and you're set
Pretty clear it will be an SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

Attachment 1826770
You should see the photo of the remodeled kitchen with the beater car outside the window on my wife's forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
You can also consider buying the Kodiaq and saving those 20 lakhs for a engine remap and other mods, suspension upgrade and a couple of trips to the Maldives
Not a bad idea. Anyone tried an engine remap of the Kodiaq? Really keen to know. Will the Jetta one work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
You bet.@Aurum I think this forward below from a fellow BHPian in additon to Androdev's pic is going to seal it for you.

Audi RS5 4.2 FSi on the Left.
Skoda Superb 3.6 FSi 4x4 on the Right.
Xiaomi 'Spiderman Edition' in the Centre.

Don't tell us we didn't warn you.Did I hear someone say 'Live to Drive'?
I think my wife's forum's slogan is "Home is where the heart is". We both show each other all the conversation responses, and dont talk to each other the rest of the night

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th December 2018 at 05:27. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts, made within the 30 mins Edit window.
Old 11th December 2018, 21:57   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hey do you have any definitive information on this?
Autocar India had mentioned this in their magazine last month.
karan561 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 09:40   #37
BHPian

Dear Aurum,

Don’t get confused with so many useful information. Remember car is not an investment, it’s our passion.
So, go with your heart & live your life happily.

Brdgs,
Sail
Sail is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 09:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:

We are pretty clear we want an SUV and not a sedan, and a 3 series is not worth the upgrade from the Jetta.
I wasn't suggesting 3 series, just wanted to indicate that the next generation interiors would be already out early next year.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 11:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not a bad idea. Anyone tried an engine remap of the Kodiaq? Really keen to know. Will the Jetta one work
I suppose it should. Please correct me if I am wrong but I guess the 2.0 litre engine in the Kodiaq & 2016 Superb are the same as the Jetta? However I believe the Kodiaq & Superb are tuned to be a bit more linear as compared to the Jetta. My Uncle who drives the 2016 Superb L&K (177 bhp) was all praise about my Jetta's performance post its remap. He found it more fun to drive than his Superb.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 12:54   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

If you can afford the X3, which I believe you can, then just go for it. Stop comparing. A Skoda is a Skoda and a BMW is a BMW. Every day of your ownership you will be reminded of that fact. If it was just practicality then nothing beats Uber. So get out of the dilemma and listen to your heart. The brand is worth the premium.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 12:58   #41
BHPian

The latest on this: The X3 colour available doesnt work for us and apparently next production run is Apr 2019. Dont think we will wait that long.

The dealer offered a great deal on an X5 30d. Will have to stretch though, and I know that future upkeep will also be expensive. So not keen on that either.
Old 12th December 2018, 14:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
I wasn't suggesting 3 series, just wanted to indicate that the next generation interiors would be already out early next year.
I saw the interiors of the new 3 series on the website. Definitely a step-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I suppose it should. Please correct me if I am wrong but I guess the 2.0 litre engine in the Kodiaq & 2016 Superb are the same as the Jetta? However I believe the Kodiaq & Superb are tuned to be a bit more linear as compared to the Jetta. My Uncle who drives the 2016 Superb L&K (177 bhp) was all praise about my Jetta's performance post its remap. He found it more fun to drive than his Superb.
Would love to know if this is actually possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
If you can afford the X3, which I believe you can, then just go for it. Stop comparing. A Skoda is a Skoda and a BMW is a BMW. Every day of your ownership you will be reminded of that fact. If it was just practicality then nothing beats Uber. So get out of the dilemma and listen to your heart. The brand is worth the premium.
For me, every car speaks for itself. The badge doesn't really matter all that much. An X20d (or a white X30i) doesn't cut it for me. If the Kodiaq RS was available and drove well, it would have been bought in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Dear Aurum,

Don’t get confused with so many useful information. Remember car is not an investment, it’s our passion.
So, go with your heart & live your life happily.

Brdgs,
Sail
Honestly, these perspectives are more useful than the information. Increasingly, I am clear that if I'm getting the 30i, it should be the one I want, else not.
Aurum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 14:30   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The dealer offered a great deal on an X5 30d. Will have to stretch though, and I know that future upkeep will also be expensive. So not keen on that either.
Did you get the Test Drive for X5? Here in North, ex-showroom prices after discounts are around 60 lac and perhaps you can negotiate a maintenance package as well. In any case, there are hardly any expenses except for annual maintenance. These are some of the lowest prices I have seen on the X5, about the same I paid in 2009 for the older generation. I rechecked the Kodiaq today as one of my colleagues is interested in upgrading his Endeavour, for some reasons, it did not appeal to me today. The engine sounds very bad on low speeds and somehow you don't get the luxury feel, the music system is very impressive though. If I were you, will either consider XC60 or an X5 or just wait till I can spend more
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 14:55   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Did you get the Test Drive for X5? Here in North, ex-showroom prices after discounts are around 60 lac and perhaps you can negotiate a maintenance package as well. In any case, there are hardly any expenses except for annual maintenance. These are some of the lowest prices I have seen on the X5, about the same I paid in 2009 for the older generation. I rechecked the Kodiaq today as one of my colleagues is interested in upgrading his Endeavour, for some reasons, it did not appeal to me today. The engine sounds very bad on low speeds and somehow you don't get the luxury feel, the music system is very impressive though. If I were you, will either consider XC60 or an X5 or just wait till I can spend more
Havent test driven it. Its a great price, no doubt, but it will end up being nearly 10 lakhs more than the 30i. Thats too much of a stretch. They have the blue and Mocha combination we like, though.
Old 12th December 2018, 15:12   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Havent test driven it. Its a great price, no doubt, but it will end up being nearly 10 lakhs more than the 30i. Thats too much of a stretch. They have the blue and Mocha combination we like, though.
Well, that's your decision. You are getting a much better product at very little incremental Percentage- 15 % or so. I understand discounts on X3 -30i are not much. Do test drive X5 once, preferably on Sunday when the roads are empty
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed