Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 09:03   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
Suddenly got a call from the Audi guys. The petrol Technology version is available at really attractive prices (good enough to close immediately). Somehow, when we drove the diesel, something about it didn't click, and I cant put my finger on what the issue was. Maybe I should try and drive the petrol?
Which Audi is this, Q5? It should actually behave similar to the Jetta I believe. Being an SUV it will not handle the same though. As I said earlier, the current VAG 2.0 engines may feel a bit restricted as compared to the earlier (pre DieselGate) ones.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 10:02   #77
BHPian

re: BMW X3 vs Skoda Kodiaq EDIT: Booked Audi Q5 TFSI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Which Audi is this, Q5? It should actually behave similar to the Jetta I believe. Being an SUV it will not handle the same though. As I said earlier, the current VAG 2.0 engines may feel a bit restricted as compared to the earlier (pre DieselGate) ones.
Yes, the Q5, but given that this is the 250hp petrol, and the Quattro, and an SUV, unlikely that it will drive like the Jetta. Whether the difference is better or worse remains to be seen.
Aurum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 10:53   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the Q5, but given that this is the 250hp petrol, and the Quattro, and an SUV, unlikely that it will drive like the Jetta. Whether the difference is better or worse remains to be seen.
If you like the drive, the deal-breaker could well be the very compact interiors. Due to the low silhouette, broad door panels and detailing plus the generously bolstered seats, the interiors are frankly very small compared to the exteriors size.

Best of luck!
Old 18th December 2018, 11:49   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I meant was the 'feel' would be similar, not in terms of power and handling. After all they are from the same family even though a different segment. How does it compare to the X3 though?
Old 18th December 2018, 13:28   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, If you can consider a BMW as one of the options, I guess Skoda won't make the cut.

Stop listening to logic. Burn it if you have it. Buy the BMW and let us paupers keep talking about features vis-a-vis.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 15:40   #81
BHPian

Well, my two cents.
I would suggest you pick up the X3 30i, try and negotiate a better deal.

I picked up the 530i after trading in my F10 530d, and trust me its a better engine in all aspects, also aiding the fact is that the G30 is much more stiffer like the BMW's of old than than the F10 which felt too Japanese for my liking.
The 30i engine is a gem, its super smooth and silent when you want it to be and super responsive with a sporty snarl which only a Petrol can match when you push it hard, the Fuel economy is unbelievably good for a German Petrol with I averaging around 9KMPL in Delhi traffic, and on my trip to Agra (agreed on average speeds sub 100 being the Limit) I got an unbelievable FE of 15 KMPL which is even unheard of in the 2L diesels usually.

Further, I have just last week picked up the X5 Edition X 30d (Really wanted the 35i but that's been out of production since last year) to replace our aging Captiva as our family SUV, and it is a brilliantly priced car at the moment with the offers I got, but driving it straight after my 530i, inspite of those two extra cylinders, there is no comparison to be honest , (I don't mean to offend any of our die hard I6 Diesel Fans), but after the 30i, the X5 30d (I agree it'll be much quicker in the 530d because of the weight advantage as opposed to the heavy X5) and if I am not wrong that has the new engine B57 engine as opposed to the N57 on the X5, it just feels super dead, it's almost like it has an on and a off switch, and switches on with all that torque after about 2500-3000 RPM plus the clutter. I was stuck in heavy traffic when I took delivery and the difference was clearly apparent straight up because of it, I did not test drive after having driven the 530d for so many years but there's a world of a difference because the extra weight of the two cars.
Also with the pollution norms coming in especially in our metros considering you are in Mumbai, I will advise for a good deal on the X3 30i rather than so much money on a diesel as it is primary car.
Incase you want to know the details for my X5, please DM me.
Regards
NP

Last edited by manson : 18th December 2018 at 19:15. Reason: Typo.
np23 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 17:01   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Well, my two cents.

I picked up the 530i after trading in my F10 530d, and trust me its a better engine in all aspects, also aiding the fact is that the G30 is much more stiffer like the BMW's of old than than the F10 which felt too Japanese for my liking.
Nice to have a comparison from someone who owns cars with current 30i and 30d BMW engines. Thanks!

Switching between diesel and petrol cars is a bit tricky since both need completely different styles of driving. And it is usually the petrol that feels good when you alternate between the two due to its quicker responses and refined nature. For city driving I always prefer petrol. Diesels are torque monsters and the extra two cylinders tend to come into play on open roads. It is a different kind of rush. I am traditionally a petrol fan and my X3 30d is my first diesel. I do a lot of highway driving in the X3 and the diesel is simply effortless in the way it delivers torque. Just love that kick in the butt when I floor it in sports + mode.

Last edited by manson : 18th December 2018 at 19:14. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 18:42   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
What I meant was the 'feel' would be similar, not in terms of power and handling. After all they are from the same family even though a different segment. How does it compare to the X3 though?
Having owned the Jetta for 7 years, and having driven pretty much all the Audis upto the A6 and Q5, I think the similarities within the group are overrated. Each car has a different flavour. Both the Q5 and the X3 diesels were nice to drive. Nothing particularly stood out, except how light the steering in the Audi was. Somehow the BMW felt a bit nicer inside, but not by much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Well, If you can consider a BMW as one of the options, I guess Skoda won't make the cut.

Stop listening to logic. Burn it if you have it. Buy the BMW and let us paupers keep talking about features vis-a-vis.
I don't buy into a brand at all. Each car has to speak for itself, and the X3 does. Having said that, if I had a choice between the Kodiaq RS and the X3 20d, the Kodiaq would win. Anyways, BMW doesn't want my money, so what can I do? No X3 30i except a white one in stock, and no visibility on when the next batch will come - that's their official line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Well, my two cents.

NP
Thanks, this is really useful! Except BMW doesn't have any X3 30i available, deal or no deal. Bad demand forecasting is a surefire way to lose customers.

Last edited by manson : 18th December 2018 at 19:13.
Old 18th December 2018, 23:09   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Suddenly got a call from the Audi guys. The petrol Technology version is available at really attractive prices (good enough to close immediately). Somehow, when we drove the diesel, something about it didn't click, and I cant put my finger on what the issue was. Maybe I should try and drive the petrol?
I recently drove the new A4 2.0 quattro and came out unimpressed. I know driving a diesel Audi SUV is a very different experience but I believe they might have a few things common.

I loved how smooth and refined the engine was but the steering.... oh my god. It honestly felt as light as a Hyundai i10. It was completely DEAD. I'm guessing the SUVs are going to have a similar or worse steering feel (is that even possible?)

I've driven the older gen BMWs and they're way better in terms of steering feel. The Audi actually felt very unsafe with the dead steering. I found a whole new level of respect for my Acura after driving the Audi!

I believe the BMW even with the watered down driving experience in this gen vehicles, will still be much better than an Audi.
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 09:33   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
I recently drove the new A4 2.0 quattro and came out unimpressed. I know driving a diesel Audi SUV is a very different experience but I believe they might have a few things common.

I loved how smooth and refined the engine was but the steering.... oh my god. It honestly felt as light as a Hyundai i10. It was completely DEAD. I'm guessing the SUVs are going to have a similar or worse steering feel (is that even possible?)

I believe the BMW even with the watered down driving experience in this gen vehicles, will still be much better than an Audi.
Thats the one observation I had as well, that the steering was very light. Its something I can live with. BTW, this is completely different from the Jetta.

The one commonality that I observe when comparing Audis with BMWs is that Audis are oriented more towards comfort. Ride and ease of driving (sometimes equipment) take priority over the dynamics. Its not night and day one way or the other, but you can sense the difference. Again, this is very different from the Jetta. The ride was passable, but the driving dynamics excellent. So the logical upgrade for a Jetta is a BMW and not an Audi. I think thats why there are so many upgrades from Jettas to BMWs in this forum. Its because they are more similar and not because they are different. So this whole VAG group similarity thing sounds a bit hollow to me (except of course VW and SKODA, they are really similar).
Old 19th December 2018, 19:49   #86
BHPian

Quote:
No X3 30i except a white one in stock, and no visibility on when the next batch will come - that's their official line.
There's a 600 odd km used X3 30i available with BMW in Jaipur, if you want to go through some extra trouble and get a sweeter deal in the process. Not sure if it was a demo car, but how much can you wear out a car in that distance!
d3mon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 21:04   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
There's a 600 odd km used X3 30i available with BMW in Jaipur, if you want to go through some extra trouble and get a sweeter deal in the process. Not sure if it was a demo car, but how much can you wear out a car in that distance!
Thanks. I don't mind talking to them. With my luck so far, it will probably be white
Old 19th December 2018, 21:30   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I don't mind talking to them. With my luck so far, it will probably be white
I meant to put the link as well - it's Black!

https://www.bmwusedcars.in/buy-used-...w/x3/9065.html
d3mon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 09:28   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
I meant to put the link as well - it's Black!

https://www.bmwusedcars.in/buy-used-...w/x3/9065.html
Had a few questions as I'm exploring this path.
- Whats the difference between BMW certified cars and those that arent? (This one isnt for example)
- What happens to warranty?
- Anything I should be careful about when looking at a demo car?
Aurum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 09:47   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had a few questions as I'm exploring this path.
- Whats the difference between BMW certified cars and those that arent? (This one isnt for example)
- What happens to warranty?
- Anything I should be careful about when looking at a demo car?
Certified means used car where BMW promises to do quality checks and offer warranty. As far as the car is concerned it's just like any used car from classifieds.

Demo car or display car is used sparingly just for display purposes. There is always an invention to sell it without losing lot of money on it. You will get all the benefits of a new car. You have to double check when the warranty etc packages start.

Test drive car. Too abused to consider IMO.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed