Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2018, 17:21   #1
BHPian

BMW X3 vs Skoda Kodiaq EDIT: Booked Audi Q5 TFSI!

The cars are separated by more than 20 lakhs, 100 horses, and unquestionable differences in driving experience and brand. What kind of a stupid choice is this? Bear with me.

(Mods, I know there is another X3 thread, but I thought this was slightly different, hence a new thread)

So how did it come to this? A year and half in a few lines. We started looking for a replacement to our Jetta a year and half ago. Its not an easy car to replace. We started off looking at the Tiguan, came away unimpressed, set our sights on the X1 and the 3GT. The X1 felt too small, the GT seemed a bit outdated. We also considered every SUV (including the XC40 this year) in that segment - somehow they felt cosy compared to the Jetta, and not really an upgrade. The Endeavour and Fortuner were just not our type. We decided we would wait a couple of years and look at the next segment above.

This year, we started looking again. First the XC60, then the Q5, the Discovery Sport and then the X3. With year-end deals looking interesting across brands, we thought this is the time to close. The X3 and the XC60 stood out amongst these. Loved the Inscription variant of the XC60, but it seemed too expensive (and no discounts). Somehow everything about the X3 clicked (except the lack of Android Auto, but that’s another story).

Somewhere along the way came the Kodiaq. When it came in the Style variant a year back, we test drove it. The feature list was impressive, but in driving it, I felt like I was driving a variation of the Jetta all over again (not a bad thing, but boring in a way). I dismissed it immediately - why buy the same car in a different costume?

Then they announced the L&K version a short while back. We thought we should at least have a look before we close. We walked to the showroom - a beautiful Lava Blue colour model stood there. We stepped into the car and all the practical things about the car came rushing back at us. Acres of space (felt more than anything in the X3 segment). That third row is made for us - we have an 9 and 6 year old. The tech in the car is impressive - the virtual cockpit, the 360 camera and the Android Auto connectivity. The Canton music system is great (X3 Harman Kardon sounds slightly better, but because of the more silent cabin, I think). The downsides were the obvious ones - the engine and driving dynamics, but then, I was already driving something very similar, and didn’t have too many complaints. Also, I really don’t care about the badge too much.

The X3 doesn’t need to be sold. It's a beautiful, beautiful vehicle. The minute we sat in it, and I drove it, we felt the attraction more than anything else in the segment. The engine, the dynamics, the quality, the space, and to be fair, its competitively priced within the segment. There is no question it is ultimately the superior vehicle.

So here's the dilemma:

Jekyll - We keep our cars for 6-8 years. If our next replacement is that long away, why be saddled with a really good and practical, but nevertheless a bit soulless car like the Kodiaq? Stretch a bit, and enjoy the ride with the X3. Are you a petrolhead or not? You've always wanted that BMW, admit it.

Hyde: OK, so you may be a petrolhead, but that’s not the only thing you are. Wouldn’t you love to buy that higher end AV equipment, take a couple more exotic vacations? Imagine what you can do with 20 lakhs. Maybe you can upgrade in 4-5 years this time, by which time the kids will be older.

(You'll notice that practical things like saving are not part of the issue

Ultimately, I know the answer will be - depends on your priorities. But I've always been informed by the interesting perspectives on this forum, so thought I'd ask - what do you think?

An X3 leaning decision will need to be taken soon (given year-end discounts) but if the decision is Kodiaq, there isnt a hurry. Thanks!
Aurum is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 17:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW X3 vs Skoda Kodiaq EDIT: Booked Audi Q5 TFSI!

What would meet your needs better if the price is the same for both? That's what I would buy. The feel good factor you get based on how much excess you paid or how much you saved doesn't linger for long. It all comes down to what you truly appreciate when you are all by yourself. X3 gets my vote if you don't need the 3rd row of seats. If you do need 3rd row of seats, it's a problem without a solution for a keen driver. BMW x3/5 series has been the most popular upgrade from Jetta/Laura.
androdev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 18:16   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post

Somehow everything about the X3 clicked (except the lack of Android Auto, but that’s another story).
You've indicated your leaning

Quote:
I dismissed it immediately - why buy the same car in a different costume?
You've expressed your boredom

Quote:
That third row is made for us - we have an 9 and 6 year old.
You've made out, got your kids, do you really need those rear most seats. They will be useless in 5 years time when the kids are fattened up!

Quote:
The tech in the car is impressive - the virtual cockpit, the 360 camera and the Android Auto connectivity. The Canton music system is great (X3 Harman Kardon sounds slightly better, but because of the more silent cabin, I think). The downsides were the obvious ones - the engine and driving dynamics, but then, I was already driving something very similar, and didn’t have too many complaints. Also, I really don’t care about the badge too much.
Impressive but is it any use. Virtual cockpit, once you set it to what you what, will you change it ? Once you get over the wow factor, you get the same info in a boring format in the BMW

360 Camera - it will beep you to death in traffic. Do you need the cameras unless you do perform tight parking manoeuvres.

Quote:
The X3 doesn’t need to be sold. It's a beautiful, beautiful vehicle.
You are sold!

Quote:
There is no question it is ultimately the superior vehicle.
Sold

Quote:
Jekyll - You've always wanted that BMW, admit it.
Sold again - X3 is classified as Jekyll
Quote:
Hyde: Wouldn’t you love to buy that higher end AV equipment, take a couple more exotic vacations? Imagine what you can do with 20 lakhs. Maybe you can upgrade in 4-5 years this time, by which time the kids will be older.
I got a friend like that - can't choose a girl yet alone a car!

Remember that you will get old and deaf for that AV system, Mumbai will be traffic clogged, diesel will be banned, cars will become autonomous, the rupee will sink,

Quote:
Ultimately, I know the answer will be - depends on your priorities. But I've always been informed by the interesting perspectives on this forum, so thought I'd ask - what do you think?
This is like my wife and various girlfriends

"What do you think?" Real life speak for I've made my mind up, I just want to let you have the opportunity to rant your opinion while I sign off on it!

Quote:
An X3 leaning decision will need to be taken soon (given year-end discounts) but if the decision is Kodiaq, there isnt a hurry. Thanks!
You really want to listen to the voice of a boring practical forum! You've made your choice - buy it. If it was really bad, we would have told you!

Last edited by ajmat : 9th December 2018 at 18:17.
ajmat is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 18:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

Like androdev mentioned, you will have to take the decision based on your priorities and requirements.
  • If it is driving dynamics, power and fun, then X3 with the 30i engine and ZF8 gearbox would be the choice. This combination is super fun to drive.
  • If it is space and the third row, then Kodiaq.

Things like virtual cockpit or 360 degree parking etc., would be added bonus once you decide on the primary requirements, but need not be deal breakers.

I had a similar dilemma, with the same brands, but with sedans and I chose BMW over Skoda.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...t-m-sport.html (Replacement for my VW Jetta - BMW 330i or an Octavia vRS? EDIT: Booked the 330i GT M-Sport)

Check out the below thread as well to know more about the X3 30i.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...i-dilemma.html (BMW X3 20d vs 30i dilemma)

Good luck with the decision.
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 18:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Depends on what your overall income and savings potential is, in my view. Also depends a bit on your age.

If you can afford the X3 quite easily, you should go for it. That is especially true because you plan to keep the car for 6-8 years. The interest and depreciation on ₹ 20 l over 8 years is ₹ 3.5 l per year, enough for a good domestic vacation (for your family of 4) but not really enough for an exotic international vacation. If you are pushing 40, you may want to go for the X3, if you are in your early to mid 30s, waiting is possibly still an alternative.

If you are stretching to get to the X3 (other than psychologically), its a different story - I don’t believe anyone should stretch to get a car, the Kodiaq probably will give you all you need on a day to day basis.

The other factor to be considered even if you can afford both cars is what your friends drive - in 2010, I bought a Superb as most of my friends bought cars in that segment - in 2017, I replaced it with an X3 as most of my friends had moved to luxury brands.

Last edited by Hayek : 9th December 2018 at 19:00.
Hayek is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 19:33   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The cars are separated by more than 20 lakhs, 100 horses
It will not be fair to compare Petrol and Diesel outputs in Bhp. I am not aware of discounts on X3 but X5 has some interesting discounts more like 15-18 Lac.

Quote:
The X3 doesn’t need to be sold. It's a beautiful, beautiful vehicle
It's all relative and the initial beauty that you see will fade away soon, there will be newer models and you will start liking those even better.

Quote:
but nevertheless a bit soulless car like the Kodiaq? Stretch a bit, and enjoy the ride with the X3. Are you a petrolhead or not? You've always wanted that BMW, admit it.
Again, speed/ power and fun are relative, I am not a great fan of 4 cylinders 30i engines as I always had 6 Cylinders but since past couple of days, after a half day at an M event at Buddha Circuit, I am not able to enjoy the 6 cylinders diesel either It happens in everything, you go for an audition of high-end system and then you check the higher variant and you come back undecided buying nothing.

Quote:
Imagine what you can do with 20 lakhs. Maybe you can upgrade in 4-5 years this time, by which time the kids will be older.
Correct, if you have your own money, invest in something and that 20 lac can surely increase or if you want to pay EMI, keep on putting the same money in an RD

Quote:
An X3 leaning decision will need to be taken soon (given year-end discounts) but if the decision is Kodiaq, there isnt a hurry.
Don't worry about the discounts on BMW, these are not going anywhere. But Yes, this is the best time to pick the BMW as they need numbers to close 2018 and may go a little slow in the first Qtr 2019.

Quote:
The X3 and the XC60 stood out amongst these. Loved the Inscription variant of the XC60, but it seemed too expensive (and no discounts).
My pick will be XC60 given the high level of equipment - very comfortable ride due to Air Suspension, front cooled Nappa Leather seats, comfort access & amazing Bowers & Wilkins system that can satisfy any audiophile, all practical features that will meet your needs for another 5-6 years.

But, if you will be on a budget my pick will be Kodiaq. Perhaps go to BMW & Skoda again maybe 3-4 times on the route you travel mostly and then see how both behave in practical conditions. I am more then sure, the novelty on the BMW will wear faster then you can imagine. If you are still sold on the BMW, then do ask for test drive of any 6 cylinder Diesel like an X5 or 530-D and then drive back the X3

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th December 2018 at 19:37.
Turbanator is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 20:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If I were in your boat, I'd first and foremost scan for availability of great examples of used X3s, if some deal like that exists I'd pull the trigger on that given the price is slightly lower than the Kodiaqs.. can never tell where one shining gem comes through at under 15k kms driven with 2 years warranty left at about 30% lesser than brand new.

However, if new is absolutely essential (I prefer to buy new, myself although I refuse to cross the 18L barrier as of now) then go by what car would feel the best to you even after 4-5 years and 40k kms of driving.. if you ask yourself that question then the answer might be pretty clear.

I really don't have any experience with BMW SUVs but having driven their sedans (most recently the old gen 530d of a friend's) I can say that they are better styled and have a better luxury quotient than an expensive high-end Skoda, Skoda steerings are quite numb as well. If you were aiming for a Q5 then maybe the Kodiaq would've been a way better bargain. Today's BMWs in my view are more or less like Audi except for a sharper steering and more smooth transmission (Audi's DSG programming is too sluggish). That old steering feel is completely missing though in models post 2017.

Money no object = Bimmer, value as priority = Skoda.

Last edited by dark.knight : 9th December 2018 at 20:24.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 21:42   #8
BHPian

Thanks, this is why I came here. Your opinions help me more than you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
What would meet your needs better if the price is the same for both? That's what I would buy. The feel good factor you get based on how much excess you paid or how much you saved doesn't linger for long. It all comes down to what you truly appreciate when you are all by yourself. X3 gets my vote if you don't need the 3rd row of seats. If you do need 3rd row of seats, it's a problem without a solution for a keen driver. BMW x3/5 series has been the most popular upgrade from Jetta/Laura.
Agree, the financial feel good or feel bad doesnt really last. The choice you live with does. Practical advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You've indicated your leaning

You've expressed your boredom

You really want to listen to the voice of a boring practical forum! You've made your choice - buy it. If it was really bad, we would have told you!
As you say, there's no question, I'm sold on the X3, and am willing to pay a premium. But the decision really is up in the air. Whats muddied the waters is that I didn't expect the Kodiaq to be as good as it is, and so aligned to my practical needs/ wants. Also, the premium is 20 lakhs, by no means trivial for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Like androdev mentioned, you will have to take the decision based on your priorities and requirements.
  • If it is driving dynamics, power and fun, then X3 with the 30i engine and ZF8 gearbox would be the choice. This combination is super fun to drive.
  • If it is space and the third row, then Kodiaq.
Things like virtual cockpit or 360 degree parking etc., would be added bonus once you decide on the primary requirements, but need not be deal breakers.
Thanks, I followed your thread very closely, and and the thread you referred, which is why I know that there are a lot of people going through similar thought processes. Unfortunately, in this choice, the driving pleasure is mine alone, while all other benefits go to the whole family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Not really, your dilemna indicates what you could do with the savings:

Don't think this needs a separate thread.
Fair enough, the 20 lakhs are not trivial for me. The mods can take a call on whether a separate thread makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Depends on what your overall income and savings potential is, in my view. Also depends a bit on your age.

If you can afford the X3 quite easily, you should go for it. That is especially true because you plan to keep the car for 6-8 years. The interest and depreciation on ₹ 20 l over 8 years is ₹ 3.5 l per year, enough for a good domestic vacation (for your family of 4) but not really enough for an exotic international vacation. If you are pushing 40, you may want to go for the X3, if you are in your early to mid 30s, waiting is possibly still an alternative.

If you are stretching to get to the X3 (other than psychologically), its a different story - I don’t believe anyone should stretch to get a car, the Kodiaq probably will give you all you need on a day to day basis.

The other factor to be considered even if you can afford both cars is what your friends drive - in 2010, I bought a Superb as most of my friends bought cars in that segment - in 2017, I replaced it with an X3 as most of my friends had moved to luxury brands.
Interesting points all. Am beyond 40, so this is an important factor. I dont think its a stretch, but everyones definition is different (I know my wife thinks differently). Many of my friends have luxury brands and many dont, but even amongst those who have, to be honest, a 5 series or X3 would be at the top end of what they would have bought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
It will not be fair to compare Petrol and Diesel outputs in Bhp. I am not aware of discounts on X3 but X5 has some interesting discounts more like 15-18 Lac.

If you are still sold on the BMW, then do ask for test drive of any 6 cylinder Diesel like an X5 or 530-D and then drive back the X3
Very practical suggestions, thanks, except that killer last line The XC60 has no discounts, and is at least 6-7 lakhs more than the BMW. I dont think that makes sense. About enjoying the power/ speed, I really wonder, do those of you who have these 3 liter petrols, 6 Cyl diesels really enjoy it on a day to day basis? I keep wondering if its wasted in the day to day Mumbai trudge.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 10th December 2018 at 01:48. Reason: Shortening quoted posts
Aurum is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 01:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

Unless you really want the third row, its a no brainer to me. Since you are keeping it for 6-8 years, the BMW will definitely be the better buy. It is built better, and the X3 is newer. I think it will age better too. And that does make a difference over the years. Also its just a more special vehicle, better to drive and more refined.

The 30i is a good engine, and would be my pick over the 2l diesel unless the running is really high. It is also very silent, and vibration free which is nice in the traffic here.

I don't think the X3 will give more than 6-7 in Mumbai traffic, so that would possibly be my only negative for the 30i.
Akshay1234 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 07:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
If I were in your boat, I'd first and foremost scan for availability of great examples of used X3s, if some deal like that exists I'd pull the trigger on that given the price is slightly lower than the Kodiaqs.. can never tell where one shining gem comes through at under 15k kms driven with 2 years warranty left at about 30% lesser than brand new.

I really don't have any experience with BMW SUVs but having driven their sedans (most recently the old gen 530d of a friend's) I can say that they are better styled and have a better luxury quotient than an expensive high-end Skoda, Skoda steerings are quite numb as well. If you were aiming for a Q5 then maybe the Kodiaq would've been a way better bargain. Today's BMWs in my view are more or less like Audi except for a sharper steering and more smooth transmission (Audi's DSG programming is too sluggish). That old steering feel is completely missing though in models post 2017.

Money no object = Bimmer, value as priority = Skoda.
I'm a bit of a stickler for new gen. I waited for the latest gen Jetta to launch in India in Sep 11, and was (I think) the first buyer of the car on this forum. There were good new car deals on the X3 last year, but stayed away. Turbanators X5 suggestion is great, but for that nagging feeling I have about the late gen cars. Of course, the X5 might be above budget.

I am not at a money no object stage, however value is not priority. For example, we nearly closed the GT MSport last year, but pulled back not because we wanted to spend less, but because we wanted to spend more on the next segment a year or two later. The spanner in the works is the Kodiaq. There is nothing like it as a package for a young(ish) family, and it is genuinely not a bad car to drive (try it sometime).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Unless you really want the third row, its a no brainer to me. Since you are keeping it for 6-8 years, the BMW will definitely be the better buy. It is built better, and the X3 is newer. I think it will age better too. And that does make a difference over the years. Also its just a more special vehicle, better to drive and more refined.

The 30i is a good engine, and would be my pick over the 2l diesel unless the running is really high. It is also very silent, and vibration free which is nice in the traffic here.

I don't think the X3 will give more than 6-7 in Mumbai traffic, so that would possibly be my only negative for the 30i.
Somehow its the combination of the space and the value thats playing on our mind. I have another doubt now. Has the Kodiaq reduced in price? I faintly remember it as a 48-50 lakh car when it launched (the Style variant), which is why it was instantly rejected then. Now the L&K is close to 43.

The running is around 10-12k km a year. Combine that with the higher discounts on petrol, so overall petrol does seem like the way to go even based on economics. Of course it is the more interesting engine.
Aurum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 09:33   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
About enjoying the power/ speed, I really wonder, do those of you who have these 3 liter petrols, 6 Cyl diesels really enjoy it on a day to day basis? I keep wondering if its wasted in the day to day Mumbai trudge.
The 6 cylinder diesel really does come into its own on the highways. In the city it will be smoother and more refined than the 4 cyl diesel but surely it can't beat the smoothness and refinement of the petrol. But on the highway it makes you feel like a king.

My choice was between the X3 and the 5 series back in 2015. I picked the X3 as I wanted a more family oriented car and it was the best compromise given my needs. Three years down the line I have no regrets. But one thing I was clear, I wanted the 6 cylinder. When you move up segments and shell out big bucks you need to feel special. Now what makes you feel special is entirely upto you. For me the 6 cylinder engine under the hood of my X3 plays a huge part in making the car feel special.

I can understand your dilemma with the Kodiaq in the picture. The price difference is not easy to ignore and the Kodiaq is a very capable car. X3 20d Vs. Kodiaq, I would definitely pick the Kodiaq. X3 30i Vs. Kodiaq is a very tight race in my mind. When it is this close, just go with your heart

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 10th December 2018 at 09:38.
Santoshbhat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 10:37   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some great advice already on this thread!

The fact that a Kodiaq is being spoken of in the same breath as an X3 says a lot about its competency. I've always insisted that the Kodiaq & Endeavour offer you what 60-lakh rupee SUVs do at a significantly lower price. And we've seen the same across segments as cars are becoming more & more competitive. Consider the Octavia vs a C-Class or a Superb vs the E-Class.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 14:14   #13
Team-BHP Support

I fully agree that there are a bunch of non big 3 German products out there that provide a comparable product at 60% price. Invariably though not always, the cheaper non trio will provide either better space or better luxury while the german will provide more power but less practicality.

The choice comes down to your disposable cash and whether you're happier plonking 65 lakhs or 45 lakhs on a car.

I currently own a 3 GT and trust me whenever it is time to let it go, my shortlist of cars would most likely include products like the Kodiaq (if I am ok taking a skoda call), or a Camry or something similar that's either more luxurious or more practical in terms of day to day ownership and doesn't break the bank (that's a relative concept of course) to buy or maintain for many years.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 14:58   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda may launch the Kodiaq RS next year & that should solve a lot of your problems in this dilemma.
karan561 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 15:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

For me, I would consider only the money aspect. If paying more is not a big concern, I would go for X3. You dont really lose anything in terms of car.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed